Rayman Origins - with artbook - Playstation 3 (Standard with Amazon Exclusive Art Book)
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Edition: Standard with Amazon Exclusive Art BookChange
Price:$45.00 - $68.88

Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Edition: Standard with Amazon Exclusive Art BookVerified Purchase
I ask myself when was the last time I had this much fun playing a game? I honestly don't remember, but it's been a long long while. The breathtaking graphics, the whimsical music, the ingenious game design, the challenge it offers, the variety of characters and landscapes, and the magical controls are all done to perfection. They just don't make games like this anymore! That is an absolute shame, too! Don't me wrong, I love me some FPS's and open world RPG's, but don't we have more than enough of those? Even enough if we could get 3 or 4 games of Rayman: Origins' ilk every year I'd be giddy with ecstaticism. There are few too many sidescrolling 2-D platformers...

If it were up to my vote, I'd give Rayman game of the year. But that's not going to happen. The huge budget, adult oriented games such as Batman and Uncharted will take that coveted award. Nothing against those games... I love'em both. However, Rayman will be heavily overlooked because it's going to be looked at as a kiddie game and because we as gamers have shrugged 2-D platformers aside in favor of ultra realistic FPS's and RPG's. With the exception of Mario titles(which have largely become 3-D) and a yearly crappy(usually) Sonic title we don't ever get any platformers. So, here's my vote that we get a new Rayman title every year.

If I were say all the things I wanted to say about Rayman: Origins and about how amazing it is I would go well beyond the 1500 word review limit. If you even have the slightest interest in 2-D sidescrolling platformers you should buy this. I will say this is a challenging game, but not so much that it makes you want to break/throw the controller. It gets more difficult towards the end. It's kind of ironic that many will view Rayman as a kiddie game, but most adults will be humbled at the challenge and ingenuitiy it presents. You know, I'll retract that statement I made earlier: I don't care what genre of gaming you like or don't like and I dare you to not love Rayman: Origins. How is that for a bold statement?!

I haven't played through all of Rayman, yet. But I think I'm close to the end(the sea level) and according to the back cover there are over 60 stages to play through. Sounds about right. Tons of replayability and fun to be found here, folks! If Rayman can't get game of the year, then it gets my FUN GAME OF THE YEAR AWARD. A perfect 10 out of 10 five star game!
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2011
I rarely write reveiws to products but after playing this game it deserve to be hear how amazing this rare gem of a game really is. I mean play the first world alone for just an hour and it have my vote for being the best 2d platform game I play in a long time(I also have that new Kirby game and I hate to say this game is much freaking sweetier) and the graphic really caught my eyes it like cartoon, comic strip, and child storybook put togethere. The gameplay is amazing it feel like a classic old school game at its best. There has been so many positive review all over the web about this underrated gem of a game. If you want a fun game this holiday season this is the game and especially for the 2d platformer fans. The main thing I love about this game is the artwork they put in to this game it a huge WOW factor. All the games I see came out this year this should be put on the list of 2011 Game of the year with out doubt in my mind. I really do recommend this game to anybody that just want to have freaking sweet fun time.Rayman Origins to me is a work of amazing art in motions and 2011 GAME OF THE YEAR!!!!
on November 17, 2011
Graphics/Animation: Wow. Level design: Wow. Music/SFX: Beautifully entwined. Silliness: Oh yeah. Faithful to the original: Comically and surprisingly so. Controls: Precise and more intuitive than the original. Great gameplay, stunning graphics (check this out in 1080 on a huge screen), enough to draw people from other rooms and behind you to ask "What on Earth are you playing?" Fans of 2-D scrollers or the original pick this one up without hesitation. Now who's going to update Earthworm Jim?
VINE VOICEon January 5, 2012
If you're confused about why a game you've never heard of or considered buying has a perfect review score on Amazon (and many professional gaming outlets) blame yourself. Put down the typical, AAA shooter and play Rayman Origins. It boasts the finest visuals of any game I've played this generation. Gorgeous, imaginative, colorful sprites rendered in full 1080P. Even with four players on screen, there's never a hint of slowdown or too much confusion. The sound/music are similarly top-notch. Each sound effect has a fantastic, whimsical quality that is sure to take you back to the days of Mario and Paperboy.

While the aesthetics are astonishing, the real magic here is in the gameplay. From the second you pick up the controller, everything is intuitive. It's the first time in years I haven't felt the need to consult a controller map or to try to remember the inane button combination. Rayman (or one of his delightful friends) become an extension of yourself. The physics act exactly as you'd expect them to, and each new ability you're granted adds a whole new dimension to the gameplay.

In short: Please give this game a shot. With gamers these days seemingly interested only in Call of Duty and Gears of War, pure video games like Rayman Origins are an endangered species. Reward Ubisoft for taking a chance on this masterpiece.
on July 29, 2012
I have played the first rayman for the playstation. The game was released in 1995! and i played it 1996 i was 8 years old!! The game was so awesome and amazing in its own aspect!! i enjoyed every level and all the bosses!! the music was enchanting and the details were immaculate!! Now im playing Rayman Origins 2012 and im 23 years old! yes this definatley is taking me back in time!! and i really enjoy it!! the levels are fun! the art is amazing and awesome! the graphics the levels!! ^__________^. well i can say they speak for themselves!! i recommend you play the first one! before playing Origins! many are confused when playing this game! But yall can do whatever floats your boat!(For those of yall who missed the first one!! yall definaley missed out!!) not me! im happy about that! i know exactly who is who and what to do!! its like going back in 1996 all over again accept in HD! the characters are really memorable and its just really fun! im happy! i like adventure games and diffrent types of other generes as well!!. This one takes the cake!! enjoy it in 2012!! you wont regret it!! BEST GAME EVER!! WELCOME BACK RAYMAN!! WHOOOO!!~ ^______________^.
on January 2, 2012
Rayman Origins is a return to form for the series. You won't find any "rabbits" in this game, and that's just the way I like it. Charming, fun, and classic are the first words that come to mind when I think of this game. Parents should know It's good for all ages, though younger kids might find themselves a little frustrated at later stages in the end of the game. Allow me to give a breakdown

Story
Non existent really. More pointless than saving a princess if you could imagine. But that's not why you're here anyway.

Graphics
I played this game on the PS3, and visually it is beautiful. It may be a 2D game, but the backgrounds are beautifully drawn, and the game takes place in several different worlds, each one unique and creative. You have a forest, dessert, Ice/Hot, water, and mechanical world.

Music
I personally really enjoyed the music in this game. It's hard to describe exactly why though. There really are no lyrics. Just melodies with the occasional gibberish. I know that probably doesn't sound too appealing, but really the music stands out very well in this game, and fits a each world. Check youtube if you're curious.

Combat
Mostly running and jumping. Rayman also has the ability to punch, kick, spin, and ground pound. All very basic, but the running and fighting in this game is pretty smooth.

Difficultly
For those who don't care about completion the game is very easy. Running through the stages doesn't take long. Most can be done within a minute if all you're trying to do is get through it. For those who want to complete everything, the game can be very challenging. After every level you can go back and do a speed run. This can be tricky, as if you die once you have to start from the beginning of the level. But the majority of gamers should only have trouble with a handful of the speed runs.

There are also "Lums" to collect. Depending on the type of level a different amount of lums will be needed. Most levels require a max of 300 for the trophy. If you're going for the ribbon(which does not get a trophy) you will need 350. I've gotten the ribbons in all the levels and I can say the only difficult ones are the mosquito levels. These are levels where you have to ride a mosquito in a 2D side shooter form. Other than that the bosses are a joke.

The last kind of level are the treasure chest levels. Its basically memorization and reflexes. But some can be tricky.

Overall
Rayman Origins is a fun 2D game, in an era that with exception of Mario, don't really exist. It's cute, unique, fun, and challenging game. It's a shame Ubisoft released this game in the middle of the holiday season with all the big releases, as I doubt as many people will get to play this game as it deserves. But if you're reading this review wondering if you should buy this game, well then it probably wouldn't hurt to download the demo. But if you're still unsure, just ask yourself if you miss the simplistic, yet beautiful design of the old platformers that used to dominate the market, and need a break from the shooters, and open world games, that currently sit atop the sales charts. I hope this review was helpful.
on January 20, 2012
This game is amazing! its visuals are beautiful, the fact that some of it was drawn was outstanding, the gameplay is great, its pretty challenging and hard, its so much fun to play this with your friends or family at your house! even though it doesn't have online co-op, its still amazing to play with your friends. This is a must have for any platforming gaming fan!
on January 14, 2012
Good game, although frustrating at times. I'm not an avid 'gamer', so if you don't have split second reaction times you might find this game difficult to maneuver through. Otherwise, a lot of fun!
on December 17, 2011
The art, the music, the core gameplay, and the level design in this game deserve recognition and applause! Me and my friends were playing this game together and we were always laughing! We enjoyed this game so much! I originally rented this game from Gamefly now I decided this game to be my next purchase just to give my contribution to the studio. I feel like I haven't enjoyed a coop game like this for a long time! Actually I am not going to call it coop because it reminds me of those split screens in shooter games, This game can provide the pure old school fun time when you have a friend over playing a game together and laughing.
on December 11, 2011
I must've played the first original Rayman game and loved it. That must have been 10 years ago and I don't think I've seen anything like it ever since with the direction they took with 3d and most recently, the atrocious Rabbids. However, as pretty much everyone else has mentioned in their reviews, this is not only a fresh break from all the other kinds of games out there, but it's so fun and whimsical, it'll suck you right into the Rayman world its visuals, music, gameplay, and overall atmosphere. The game definitely is more fun while playing with others but solo is great as well. So do yourself a favor and get yourself Rayman. I just hope we won't have to wait another decade or so for Ubisoft to give us more Rayman like this.