1,500
Rayovac 824-12C Maximum AAA Alkaline - 12 Pack
Size: AAAUnit Count: 12Change
Price:$6.49 + Free shipping

on October 5, 2010
I tried to use a mag light that didn't work and when I opened it up, I found the batteries had corroded dreadfully. It took treating with mild soda water to remove the batteries at which point, I found that I had damaged the reflector in the process. The batteries were Rayovac Dec 2016.

A second mag light worked but I could only remove one battery due to corrosion. Again Rayovac Dec 2016. Their warranty requires sending the original packaging and the original receipt. Really, who keeps those things around for small purchases?

Update: I heard back from Ray-O-Vac via email and per their instructions, mailed the damaged flashlights with batteries included. I was pleasantly surprised to receive later a check to cover the cost of replacement. Then, a couple weeks later another package arrived with replacement batteries.

I am pleased with their efforts to reconcile the issue and must conclude that i must have bought a defective set of batteries.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 8, 2010
Old Review: These bateries seem to be seconds or rejects from the manufaturer.

I purchased two 12-packs of these "D" cell batteries. When I received them I opened both sealed packages and found at least half of the batteries in each pack were dented on the sides near the tops or bottoms and others were scratched. They all have expiration dates of DEC 2017, measured above 1.6 volts and don't seem to be leaking, so they might be just fine. I reported the problem to Amazon so maybe you won't have the same experience.

New Review: I decided to buy some more of these batteries, and this time they were perfect. Even the ones I received before, which were physically damaged on the outside, have worked very well and lasted a long time. I changed the rating from 3 to 5 stars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2010
Pro: The price is right; I haven't found a better deal on 9V batteries

Con: The performance is light. I had these in smoke detectors for about 6-8 months and all went dead within a few weeks of each other.

Bottom Line: If you want a cheap, marginal performance 9V battery, this is the battery for you. I used these in smoke detectors which are wired for power, but require a 9V battery backup -- when the battery is low, the alarm "chirps", and then I replace it. Works fine for this purpose.

If you want long life and performance, you're gonna need to pay more for a better battery.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 14, 2011
I have been so disappointed with these batteries. I change my smoke detector batteries every December 31st and never have an issue with them lasting a year but here we are April 12th and I have now replaced 3 with low power, mid you these are devices that have little current draw and should easily last a year. The last battery I took out even allowed some acid to flow out it did not hurt anything but it was trash. So I give these a VERY LOW RATING>
on December 3, 2013
The description specifically states that these are for smoke detectors. There were way more positive reviews than negative, so I figured they'd be fine. I should have paid attention to those reviews that said to stay away from these for smoke detectors. I installed these into smoke detectors for our bedrooms, and they lasted less than a month.

Amazon should not be selling these with a description that says they are for smoke detectors. I hope I can help save someone else's time and money.
on October 15, 2010
I was in line at S/n/F Thursday afternoon needing some D size for an automatic trash can. I looked down and saw 2 packs for $6.50 ea. and I need 4 batteries. When I got home I found this 12 pack for $13 on Amazon and immediately ordered them and had them on Saturday morning at my door with Amazon Prime. Such a deal.

I have been using the first 4 batteries in my automatic trash can for 6 months now. I bought and returned some duracells because they didn't have enough power to open the trash can lid for even 1 day. Rayovacs are just superior batteries because they don't waste millions of dollars on advertising like the other two. Rayovacs are just better. I have been using Rayovac AA and AAA rechargeable batteries all over my house for years. Many of them are over 5 years old and never had a failure.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE BATTERIES AND ALL RAYOVAC PRODUCTS. THEY ARE FAR SUPERIOR TO THE TWO OVERPRICED NAMED BRAND COMPETITORS.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 30, 2010
I bought these in August 2009. They had an expiration date of Dec 2009. I ended up discarding half of them because by the time I got around to using them they were essentially dead. They would power a smoke detector for less than a week.
on February 19, 2010
I like this package because it is sturdy and a very good way to store your unused batteries. Most other batteries have flimsy packaging that starts falling apart or becoming unstable for the remaining batteries as soon as you remove a few. (Edit Jan '13: I store the package on its side to keep the batteries neatly in place once I've removed some.)

The last time I researched the topic several years ago Rayovac alkalines were found to be of about the same quality as Duracell. Obviously they don't spend as much money on advertising, which may explain why they are less expensive.

Update 3/29/13: I just noticed someone had a problem with leakage so I thought I'd note my experience. I've gone through 3 packs of 24 in the past 4 years and recently started on my 4th pack and haven't had any leaks. (Some of the ones from 4 years ago are still in use.)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 15, 2009
I keep these on hand all the time. I've replaced all my candles (tons and tons of candles) with flameless candles with timers (some with dual timers) that require 2 "C" batts each for 1,000-1,500 hours 'burn' time, depending on the style of 'candle'. I also have solar lanterns that hang from shepherd's hooks looped through my chain link fence Spring through Fall months that use "C"s.

Having said that, with this product, my burn time and brightness of the candles and lanterns last much longer than estimated by the manufacturers of those products (Candle Impressions), whether the candles are 'on' all the time or using them with the timers. The same holds true for the extended brightness of the stained glass (plastic) lanterns outside as compared to other C batteries I've tried in the past. They are wonderful for all those times I lose power here (and that's a lot) from wind, storms, rain, freezing rain and drizzle, snow, transformers blowing out, or sneezing. :)

I've also given the flameless candles as gifts to those who like the idea of eliminating the safety hazards of real candles that must be carefully placed and watched in their homes and always include these batteries with the gift.

Can't go wrong. I monitor this product regularly and pick it up when on sale so I never run out. Reliable, long lasting, dependable, good value. Can't go wrong.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 11, 2011
We have really high unemployment right now, and for the foreseeable future --
I needed batteries for the Gopher "Sonic Spikes", so I looked for batteries made in the U.S. of A. -- and to my surprise, I found that:
Phillips batteries are made in China.
Energizers are made in Japan.
CVS (store brand-CVS Pharmacies) are made in China.
Duracell and RAY-O-VAC are made in the USA.
I remembered that my Daddy had a RAY-O-VAC Flashlight he swore by, and I've had excellent results with RAY-O-VAC products in the past, so I opted for the made-in-the-USA RAY-O-VACs.
They arrived undamaged in their handy 12-pack cases, and I checked each battery for proper voltage.
Voltages over 24 batteries varied from 1.628 to 1.631 -- excellent consistency, which indicates a well-made, reliable product.
Amazon's low price and free delivery was cheaper and easier than driving 1.2 miles to the Wallymart.
Thanks, Amazon, and thank you, RAY-O-VAC, for keeping America strong by hiring American workers !!

UPDATE: February 23,2012: Those batteries have been in service every day for several months, and are still going strong. They were exposed to outside temperatures from 30 degrees F to 117 degrees F without a single battery going dead. They've proven to be "the good stuff" -- made right here in the US of A !!

UPDATE #2: November 15,2012: Finally replaced the batteries in the Gopher Spikes -- They ran 24/7 for 17 months -- and STILL had about 1 volt left in each battery.

I also used these batteries in a MAG-LITE 3-Cell Flashlight with an LED Bulb -- AWESOME power and a bright-white beam that really penetrates the darkness !! Highly Recommended !!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations