The rechargeable D cells in this package (Rayovac Platinum LSD NiMH D, 2-Count) offer two major improvements over previous-generation products from Rayovac:

1. The capacity is now rated at 3000mAh, compared to just 1800-2400mAh for previous-generation products (depending on which version you get)

2. The package claims "Pre-Charged" and "Holds charge up to 2x longer" than standard NiMH cells.

I have tested two of those Rayovac Platinum cells (*), using my rigged-up La Crosse BC-900 charger/analyzer. Right out of the box, they hold an average remaining charge of 2530mAh. That means they arrived with over 80% of rated capacity. After just one more charge/discharge cycle, the average capacity improved to 3100mAh, which is better than rated value. Therefore I have no doubt that those Platinum batteries are indeed low-self-discharge type similar to SANYO eneloop, with 50% higher capacity.

An alkaline D cell is typically rated for about 19000mAh, but only at a very low current of ~30mA. When used at a load of 500mA (such as flashlight), its capacity drops to about half. Those 3100mAh rechargeable D cells offer only about 1/3 the capacity of alkaline cells, which means you'll have to replace/recharge batteries three times more often. But in the long run, using rechargeable will always save you money.

There are other rechargeable D cells with 3x higher capacity (such as the 9500mAh 2-Pack D IMEDION), but they also cost 3-4x more. So this package is a reasonable compromise between price and performance. Another benefit is that each Rayovac Platinum D cells is half the weight of alkaline D cell (70g vs. 140g).

(*)Note:
The batteries I purchased are actually the smaller Rayovac Platinum C cells. Both have exactly the same capacity, because internally they all contain a sub-C cell. I prefer the C cells because, if necessary, I can put them in the D-shell adapters that came with my BC-900.

[Update on Nov 24, 2012]
A good alternative to consider is the Tenergy Centura D Size Low-Self-Discharge NiMH Rechargeable Batteries. The Tenergy D cell offers 2.7x greater capacity (8000mAh vs 3000mAh) at less than 2x the price of the Rayovac Platinum D cell.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The rechargeable C cells in this package (Rayovac Platinum LSD NiMH C, 2-Count) offer two major improvements over previous-generation products from Rayovac:

I have tested two of those Rayovac Platinum C cells, using my rigged-up La Crosse BC-900 charger/analyzer. Right out of the box, they contain an average remaining charge of 2530mAh. That means they arrived with over 80% of rated capacity. After just one more charge/discharge cycle, the average capacity improved to 3100mAh, which is better than rated value. Therefore I have no doubt that those C cells are indeed low-self-discharge type similar to SANYO eneloop, with 50% higher capacity.

An alkaline C cell is typically rated for about 8000mAh, but only at a very low current of ~30mA. When used at a load of 500mA (such as flashlight), its capacity drops to about half. Those 3100mAh rechargeable C cell are not quite up to full capacity, which means you'll have to replace/recharge batteries more often. But in the long run, using rechargeable will always save you money.

You can find other rechargeable C cells with about 60% higher capacity (such as the Maha IMEDION 2-Pack C 5000mAh), but they cost 2-3x more. So this Rayovac Platinum package is still a very good value.

Note:
The larger D cells in Rayovac Platinum LSD NiMH D package have exactly the same capacity. Both versions contain a sub-C NiMH cell inside. I prefer C cells, because they can be placed inside D-shell adapters that came with my BC-900.

[Updated on Nov 4, 2012]
I have tested a set of Tenergy Centura C Size Low Self-Discharge LSD NiMH Rechargeable Batteries and found them to perform as specified. The Tenergy C cells offer higher capacity (4000mAh vs. 3000mAh) at lower price, so it is a much better value.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Bought these and the charger from Amazon --- no problem with that, but the batteries are really dreadful. They charge in 8 hours which was not a problem for me -- but I use them in a portable small fan and they don't last a full day. Regular Energizer alkaline batteries last at least five times as long - and they seem to generate more power too. Will try another brand of rechargeable batteries to see if it's just rayovac or the nature of this type of battery. But I did not heed similar warnings from other Amazon customers -- you should; try another brand first.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2013
Since I have some lights that go in the window that run on C batteries I wanted to find the batteries that would run the longest and be rechargeable. I picked the Rayovac Platinum and also the Tenergy Low Drain and Energizer C2 rechargeable. Run a test against all three

I have a number of these window candle lights so wanted to make sure I was changing them the least often.

Charged all batteries equally and put them as a set (same brand) in each light fixture. This candle came on at night time and turned itself off automatically in the morning. So it run a good 9-10 hours with a bright LED.

Results : The Rayovac was horrible. It lasted only 5 DAYS where the Energizer lasted 3 WEEKS and the Tenergy Low Drain 4 WEEKS. I ran this test twice with different candles but the results were the same. The Rayovac seems more like a AA battery then C battery.

Rayovac used to have a great 15 minute charge battery for AA and AAA... This actually work really good and you know I still see people getting top dollar form on eBay they took them off the market.... Go figure. From this he battery they have they failed from a technical standpoint seriously your kid is really going to be disappointed if he uses one of these batteries in a toy
on January 29, 2012
All good so far. These were affordably priced and that is why I bought them. I feel Rayovac and Duracell are equals. I have used C and D size Rayovac Platinum NiMH rechargeable batteries in remote game cams for scouting and wildlife observation. They are suitable price and have functioned well so far. Watch out for too much mark up in price on any brand that you buy or it will be difficult for your batteries' total service life (plus the inconvenience of recharging) to reach the break-over point of where they are less expensive than if you had bought and used alkaline batteries. At the price I bought these Rayovac's for on Amazone one will have to get about 2 years of total service life in order to hit the break even point on a set of 6 rechargeables. Who knows yet if they have a long enough service life but that is the purpose of the experiment. So far I get about 4 weeks of charge cycle life out of a 6 battery set of D cells in a Moultrie D50 (tungston flash?) at 25 to 30 images per day. I get about 7.5 weeks charge cycle life out of a 6 battery set of C cells in a Moultrie IR55 (IR flash) at 25 to 30 images per day (in cool weather). I am not using a solar recharge panel on any camera. I recharge to 1.4 v DC finish potential on each cell (rated at 1.2 v DC) and the cameras shut down when a cell reaches 0.9 v DC. These values and my method are offered for educational purposes only and they do not constitute a recommendation, follow manufacturer recommendations in your own situation, your individual experience with a product may vary. All good so far.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 1, 2011
I have been a long-time user of rechargeable batteries. I was excited when NiMH batteries first came out because they have a higher rated capacity than NiCds and they don't contain the toxic heavy metal Cadmium. But, my excitement quickly faded when I found that they were usually dead. I would charge a set when they went dead and then put them away until needed - swapping one set for another in the device. But, a month later, when needed, they would have no charge. The culprit - self-discharge. I have actually gone back to Alkaline for many uses because of this. If the battery needs to last over a month, standard NiMH batteries will die before they run out of charge and just be an inconvenience.

Enter, the Hybrid and other Low-Self-Discharge batteries. I am sure they are not all the same, but they are worth paying for. And, don't be fooled by the off-brands that advertise higher capacities - most won't achieve that rated capacity in your application anyway, unless it is a flashlight.
on October 4, 2011
Bought these nihm aaa to replace the batteries in my panasonic home cordless phone.
The specs matched and now the charge lasts much longer like when the phones where new.
Price seems good also.
on September 26, 2011
These RAYOVAC "PLATINUM" rechargeable "D" batteries, are my second set. The previous ones lasted 3 years, with several hundred recharges, (and are still in use). I expect the same from the new "Platinum" series, making them a great value. Imagine how much money one would of spent buying, in my case, 6 alkaline "D" at a time for my Sony "boombox", with the amount of use I put them through. Note that, in high draw devices, such as my portable boombox, they give around 4-5 hours use, then need to be recharged. In something like a flashlight, I suspect they would last much longer between recharges. I recommend them.
on April 11, 2011
Pre-charged rechargeable batteries keep their charge longer in low drain devices and this battery is no exception. I use these in TENS units that may sit for some time before getting a use and these provide drain much more similar to standard alkaline batteries. Certainly you pay more for the pre-charged type but they are much more useful in items that you do not drain the battery within a week.
on February 24, 2012
I purchased three units of this battery for use in audio transmitter packs. I had a good experience with the predecessor model (Rayovac Rechargeable NiMH Battery, 9-Volt Size, 1-Count Package (Pack of 3) - Packaging May Vary) for a similar application.

Two of the batteries have worked like champs. I'm sure that I could use each one multiple times between charge cycles. Because NiMH technology is friendly for "top-offs," of course, I don't have to.

The third one was a different story. It would appear to have a full charge, but in use would deplete within 20 minutes. Once we had identified this, we took it out of the rotation, but unfortunately were not able to do this before missing Amazon's return window.

The battery case appears to be just a bit oversized, and sometimes it is difficult to remove the battery from our devices. An audio pack's battery compartment is very tight, to eliminate shifting and to reduce the chance of the battery being ejected after an impact.

I can't rate this highly because a 33% failure rate is not acceptable. It's too bad, because so far the two survivors are performing beyond our expectations.