Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on February 11, 2010
Just simply not worth the price I paid for this item....definitely should have gotten a Microsoft Sidewinder X6 or something else for just a tiny bit more. I guess it will serve me for a while until I have some extra money laying around to get a high end Logitech or something, but a keyboard of this low of a quality should sell for more like $25 at most. Razer was obviously thinking more about maximizing profits and not about actual customer satisfaction.

Build Quality: Abysmal, the whole keyboard flexes when I just push down on it a little. The key labels look like they are just press-on stickers. The little touchpad buttons are rather hard to press, and I hear they break rather quickly anyway. Wrist-rest is not adjustable, and feels extremely slippery; it almost feels difficult to keep my hands on this keyboard. I might go spray a coat of something on the wrist rest to make it a bit less slippery.

The keyboard is relatively small and slim in form factor and looks pretty decent; the key-press depth is pretty good as well. Typing on this keyboard actually feels pretty good to me, but that's ultimately just a matter of personal opinion.
One thing I do like is that the keyboard doesn't slide around on my desk like my old one used to - it seems more or less glued down to the desk...and...I get cool little Razer stickers....oh joy...
Don't seem to notice any ghosting issues when playing Mass Effect 2, but perhaps in a more intensive game like Counter Strike it could become an issue. Razer claims to have anti-ghosting around the gaming cluster though.

Summary:
At least it is a decent looking keyboard, and will serve the basic purpose of typing and a bit of light gaming, but I still feel for $40 worth of keyboard, I should have gotten a much more solid product than this.
44 comments|28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 14, 2010
I bought this keyboard for its macro capabilities as I am a gamer. I don't know why other people would even buy this keyboard if they are not going to use to macro keys. This keyboard has fully programmable keys to set macros to. It's great for any game; I usually play a lot of mmos and rts so the macros come in handy. Some people that buy this keyboard don't even install the software that comes with this keyboard and complain about its crappy quality. As for me I have had this keyboard now for over 6 months and it feels just like it did when I bought it.

As for the keys themselves, they are slimmer than a regular keyboard, partly the reason why I bought it, as a gamer I find I need to press keys asap, and the slimmer keys help, as they allow better movement and take less time to press. So that was a plus in my book.

As for the design, I think it is very aesthetically pleasing. It looks great on any table top.

Some people feel that the glossy finish is prone to finger prints. Well honestly I could care less if my keyboard had some finger prints on it. I hardly ever notice it. Some people might be bothered with some fingerprints on their keyboard, and if you are one of those people, then look elsewhere.

The only con would be, as other reviewers have mentioned, is that the status lights are very bright, esp. if you are gaming in the dark. But a quick remedy, like some tape, to cover the lights can fix this.

It's a great gaming keyboard overall, 5/5. If you are looking for a keyboard that can take your gaming to the next level, this is a good choice.
on August 20, 2010
This product is black with black print, that is what it says it is so you shouldn't count that against it. You were informed.
Besides, being able to type proficiently without looking at the keyboard is a requirement of most American high schools, so this shouldn't even be an issue.

That all said, the Arctosa is well sized, well laid out, relatively quiet and very comfortable, given it's low price there is no other keyboard on the market that I have found that compares.

The only complaint I have is that it has the insert/delete key group arranged horizontally, I prefer the vertical setup, but that's one point off next to a hundred points on.

As the other reviews mentioned the key lock indicators are very bright, but that's what black tape was invented for.

Edit: 6/24/2011

I've now been using this keyboard for just shy of a full year. In that time I have spilled on it multiple times, I have not treated it great, I have dropped it, I have stepped on it, and it is perfectly fine. It's got a few too many screws to say it's simple to take apart, but it's not difficult ether. So far I've disassembled it fully on three occasions, the first time took me a few tries so it was open and close, I've removed all the keys multiple times, scrubbed it from top to bottom, put it back together, and it is absolutely fine. When I first bought this there were a lot of comments saying that the media control cluster was difficult to use. At first yes, but after about a week you get used to it, it's mostly flush but you can feel the holes the buttons reside in, and it's not difficult to memorize the position of them from the corner. Oddly this is just about the only keyboard that I have left the wrist rest on, it's perfect in every regard. It's a damn fine keyboard and I will by another if I ever need to.
on November 24, 2012
Full disclosure, when I ordered this keyboard I actually thought I was ordering the back lit version of this. I had the back lit one and spilled a drink on it and it no longer worked so I came to Amazon to order another one. Couldn't remember the name, but remembered it was Razer and had something "black" in the title. Search turned up this so I ordered it. I actually gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because the keyboard itself is very nice. They keys are responsive but not tall and plasticy like a standard keyboard. The problem with this keyboard is that it's a BLACK keyboard with BLACK letters on it. You literally can't see the characters unless you have a VERY well lit room, and even then it's very difficult. I'm pretty good at typing and type around 80 wpm, but trying to game on this thing, I found myself going "dammit, where's the key I'm looking for??". I could understand wanting a blacked out look, but why even write the characters at all in that case? Just have completely black, blank keys. This keyboard would only be good for typing papers when you don't ever need to look at the keyboard. When you're gaming or doing something where muscle memory isn't going to automatically move your fingers where they need to go, this keyboard is useless. If you NEVER need to see your keys and want a clean, blacked out gaming keyboard, this is certainly a cheap alternative to the back lit version. If you EVER need to see your keys though, do NOT get this keyboard.
on August 25, 2015
An excellent keyboard!
The keys aren't too mushy, and have a great typing feel.
Not bad for gaming either.

The touch sensitive controls are a nice touch (no pun intended).
You can disable the windows key easily with it while in a game too.

You need to clean it every once in a while to maintain the same quality though.
So far it's been working fine for the past 3 years.

Razer has yet to disappoint!
on April 7, 2014
I replaced this within a few months of buying it as I found the keys very squishy and unresponsive. I used it for a gaming keyboard and found that the keys didnt respond quickly. They also didnt feel very good for typing. In saying that its durable, good size and shape.
on August 9, 2013
Well, first off, I do love this keyboard. Albeit, with some problems that I see with it.
It is a VERY flat, low profile keyboard, even with the angle feet on the back popped up. If you have a desk that's got a decent angle on the keyboard tray, you should be fine for extended use while typing. For only game usage, this is fine, but I never intend on switching between 2 or 3 keyboards all the time to simply go from typing/browsing to gaming all the time.
I do feel that the feet on the back also have no grip at all. With them up, they allow the thing to slide all over the place while typing, or on most games. Very annoying. (I use a cheap fiberboard desk, with that glossy lamination on the top, you know your standard cheap-o computer desk)
-I put some double sided tape on the bottom of the feet, just cut 2 pieces to size, and it works well after that.

The keys are extremely responsive, and have a nice feel. It's very quiet, even while hitting the keys with some heavy strokes. The cable is fairly thick, you'll never have to worry about it even if you roll it over once in awhile with your chair.

It's a decent keyboard, and it's a good option if you're looking for a low-profile one. I wanted to try a low-profile board for awhile now, and I see that they're just not for me. That's my personal preference. Nothing wrong mechanically or physically with this though. It works as-intended, and very well., forgiving the cheap feet on the back that have no grip.
As is with most things, add some tape to it and it's perfect. No duct tape this time though.
on June 5, 2015
Purchased in 2013, still running beautifully. My only complaint is that the three lights for the 'locks': Scroll Lock, Caps Lock, and Num Lock, are quite bright at first, then dim over time if used often. The media buttons in the top right work well, sometimes it takes a couple minutes for my Windows 7 & foobar to process the request at startup, but they work nearly perfectly after startup. The keyboard is also quite durable. I've unintentionally tossed it around and have spilled some drinks on it throughout my years as a college student.
on January 13, 2013
Well, I'm an average typer, As in everything I know about typing its standard for the U.S high-schools to teach. Thanks to this i don't need to see what keys I'm hitting. In my opinion you shouldnt give a product a bad reveiw due to your lack of skills....

On with the reveiw, I've had this for a week now and nothing has stopped working, the macro keys are amazing because the games I play have different default keys for the special attacks etc. With the macro feature of this keyboard, I can arrange them so they are all the same =) (league of Legends, RS, WoW)

So, would i recommend this keyboard to a friend? Yes, If they are just a normal gamer who knows how to type i defiantly would. If you don't know how to type, then stay away from this keyboard. I hate that it's a 3.5 star keyboard due to peoples lack of skill and not of fault of the keyboard.
on December 22, 2011
I found it very difficult to find a keyboard that I like, but settling on this one doesn't really feel like "settling".

--key action is good
--response time is good
--not horribly expensive
--has the standard layout and key size/spacing (good thing)
--the wrist support detaches and has its own rubber grips so you can position it at the right distance
--the available black on black lettering is pretty unique (there's a version of this keyboard with regular letters)

The plastic does feel a bit cheap, but this doesn't effect performance and it's still structurally sound. I'd much rather have a keyboard that feels cheap if it performs better for the same price.