5.0 out of 5 stars Best keyboard for programmers
-=! I love this keyboard !=-

Published on February 22, 2011 by Alexander N

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Wow...in more ways than one!
Published on April 11, 2011 by Furzee

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Wow...in more ways than one!, April 11, 2011
This review is from: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Personal Computers)
I really wanted to like this keyboard. I also never thought I would be making a review on this keyboard. Not only that, I never thought it would be a negative review. Most of the time, when I check out reviews, I usually end up thinking "Oh, look at the couple of bad reviews, haha. Poor raging people about a little bit of bad luck." But either I am incredibly unlucky, incredibly picky, or this keyboard really is crap.

So I got this keyboard online. After two weeks of waiting, I finally got my box in the mail. Man, I was so excited! I played with it a lot and really enjoyed the feel of the keys. About a day into my joy with the keyboard, I realized the spacebar was really hard to press, and sometimes stuck. I examined it and noticed that the spacebar was bumping the alt key. I did a quick google search and found that it was a common problem with this keyboard because Razer doesn't use consistant models for their keys. Oh well, return it and try again!

Second time I bought it, I picked it up from a nearby store. I quickly took it out in my car and checked the spacebar. It was fine, yay! I took it home and started gaming. I don't generally look down at my keyboard, but as I typed in something I glanced down to make sure I was hitting my G key.
But it wasn't the G key, it was the S key. Yeah, that's right, my G and S keys were swapped. Wtf? I looked it up, no info on it. But I did find out that if I removed the keys and swapped them, I would void my 1-year warranty I get with Razer for the product.
Soooo...I couldn't do the simple solution. I couldn't stand waiting a year to switch my keys, so I went off to return it.

Third time I got it, after dealing with customer service at the store, they let me open it in the store and examine it, as well as plug it into one of their computers and type a bit to make sure it worked. I didn't notice anything - the spacebar didn't seem to hit the alt key or anything! Woohoo, finally! I took it home happy.
So now I'm sitting here, having just finished a gaming session, on this keyboard. And guess what. After about a day of playing again, the spacebar started noticeably touching the alt key. Sometimes it touches so bad it actually PRESSES the alt key (it just did that now... ew). What I failed to realize at the store was that in this particular copy of the board I have, the spacebar doesn't touch the alt key every single time. When I messed with it in the store, it wasn't touching. And right now, it stopped touching momentarily. But it shifts a lot and quickly starts to touch again, especially if I hit it with my right thumb over my left thumb.
Returning this tomorrow and picking up a Logitech board =(.

So in summary, I've spent a lot of time and money buying this keyboard THREE TIMES, hoping it will work! And every time, I have gotten a piece of crap. It looks SO pretty, feels SO nice to type on (cept the spacebar) but it seems like it was put together by 3-year-olds and is DEFINITELY not the quality expected out of such an expensive keyboard.
In my opinion, do NOT buy this board! Get something that actually lives up to the insane cost it has.

Pros:
- So pretty....so pretty. Backlights are sharp, keys are soft, and the mechanical feel is to die for.
- Makes nice clicky noises for those who like that sound!
- Did I mention it is pretty?

Cons:
- Spacebar defects on a LOT of boards. You better cross your fingers if you buy this.
- The keys are not consistant. Not only can they be switched around, but often times you get an odd mix of lowercase and uppercase. The one I am typing on now is uppercase, the one I had before was 50:50, and the first was all lower.
- Low quality, very low, for the amount of money spent.
- Due to how the mechanical switches are designed, the best backlit position is at the top of the keys. So they switched the position of the symbols on keys. What I mean is 1 is above !, instead of below. \ is above, instead of below |. If you don't have your keyboard memorized, prepare to be a little confused. If you don't know what I am saying, check the images and look closely at the number row compared to a normal keyboard.
- Odd text is sometimes hard to read n the keys.

Good luck if you buy it =/. If you don't, more power to you!

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 16, 2012 1:23:18 PM PST
Razer|Wave says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hello,

I would like to apologize for any troubles you have had with your Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Keyboard. Having any problems with a unit you just purchased can be frustrating and having more than one problem is certainly not acceptable and beyond frustrating. As you mention in your review the unit looks and feels great, but having the problems you mentioned puts a major damper on the fun factor.

Razer Support can certainly help with any issues you may be having and they will quickly remedy any problem. We know you want to get back to your gaming and do not want any downtime because your keyboard is not working the way it should. You can reach the Razer Support Team at www.razersupport.com/email or by phone at 888-697-2037. The team will make sure any problem you are having is promptly resolved. We want you to enjoy your keyboard in the same way the other positive reviewers are.

Razer|Wave

5.0 out of 5 stars Best keyboard for programmers, February 22, 2011
-=! I love this keyboard !=-

This is supposed to be ultimate gaming keyboard, but it is best for programming, or if you type a lot like for instance a screen writer or a novelist. Remember back in the nineties IBM made mechanical keyboards model M? The feel of this one is reminiscent of those. It is hard if not impossible to find those classic IBM mechanical keyboards. If you find one for sale in excellent condition chances are the price tag is around $200 if not more.

Razer BlackWidow is a good alternative.

I am an old school, 16 years in computer industry, lots of programming, lot of typing. I know a good keyboard when I feel one. This one is it. It is heavy MECHANICAL board with real mechanical keys! It scores 5 stars on all accounts that I consider important and those are as follows:

1) It has standard layout with windows and menu keys. It has full and standard right hand keys such as arrows, the insert, delete, home, end, page up and page down as well as complete number pad. The F keys are grouped. If you are a programmer like me no doubt you use shortcuts in your favorite development environment or text editor and heaving the F keys grouped in standard way is important.

2) It has mechanical keys. Yes they are mechanical and they "clutzy". They have that all important resistance and mechanical feel. This is a lost trend in manufacturing keyboards. A responsive set of mechanical keys that provide proper resistance.

3) It is straight and not ergonomic which is another big plus, at least for me. Personally I can't stand those curved atrocities with rubber mats for keys instead of real metal spring.

4) It has lots of LEDs and is letup like Christmas tree, which also nice if you (like a real programmer) write your code in the dead of night. However if you do not like the LEDs you can turn them off. (You might want to keep them off unless you have a hefty power supply.)

5) It does not require any butteries, just plugs in to your USB port. This is also nice for the office setting. I never understood the need for a wireless keyboard for a desktop. Forgive me I am old fashioned.

6) It does not have all those stupid extra keys that most of the modern keyboards have. You know the ones I mean, the extra keys that supposed to start your apps like word, excel, web browser or calc. Who would ever use those anyway? They just clutter the board, completely useless. Unless you start and shut-down you word processor 60 times a minute they are waist of space and only there to charge you more money. Not a problem here.

This keyboard has a function button that switches the mode of your F keys so that you can start / stop music player and adjust the volume. Which is sweet.

7) It looks good. Nice and sleek, would be better if the wrist area would be just a little longer, but oh well. It is a small price to pay for the mechanical keys which are hard to find nowadays.

8) The cable has two USB connections, one is a pass through, the other is the actual keyboard connection. Also it has audio pass through, which nice, I can plug my headphones in to it and have my desktop further away from me.

The only negative thing I found so far is the extra five keys to the left. Why are they there? I suppose they have use if you game, and need some extra programmable keys. I have not programmed them to anything. Never have any use for anything that is not a standard layout, so I can't tell how good/bad the are.

* * *
Now about Gaming.

I can only speak for FPS games like Unreal, because that is all I ever play if I have the time and in the mood. Yes, it works, rather well. But if you are looking for some super gaming keyboard with lots of programmable keys for whatever reason, perhaps this keyboard is not for you. It will play FPS just fine though. No problem with using keys like W S D A X for long periods of time (running, walking, side stepping, back pedaling etc.)

One thing remains. The test of time. How long will I be able to pound on both of them at home and at the office before one of them brakes? We shall see. Until that time this is the best keyboard I had in last 10 years, well ever since the mechanical keyboards vanished from the main market.

Bottom line if you are a programmer, or a writer, or just type a whole a lot this keyboard is for you.

***
Update:
Had two of these since February 2011. One at home and one at the office. Still works like the day I got it from the box. No failures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing keyboard., January 24, 2011
First off, I want to say that Razer did an amazing job with this keyboard. Everything with the keyboard is almost flawless. The only thing that I *sort of* dislike is the gloss finish around the body. It attracts dust and finger prints but I don't really mind them that much as I usually play in the dark.

Pros:

On the fly macro recording. Its simply amazing. Fn + G. Hit a key to record it to. Type what you want to record. Fn + G. And its saved. You can also use the software from Razer's website to record macro's and set the delay between keystrokes. One really great thing is that the computer recognizes the macros as individual actions instead of a program interfering with your game; this means that your macros are undetectable in game and can be used in secured servers such as VAC and gamehack.

Cherry MX Blue key switches. Feels like sex when your fingers hits one of these bad boys. Theres nothing else to say. Simply amazing to type on.

Adjustable back-lighting: You can adjust the brightness of the keys to whatever you want. You can even turn them off or set them to glow (although really annoying). No more sore eyes from your glaring keyboard.

Back-lit keys: I can play in the dark... SWEET!

Laser-etched keys: Unlike the regular version, this keyboard has laser etched keys meaning that they don't wear out. Well they do, but unlike other keys, they will wear out at the same rate as your overall key. This means that you will never lose sight of the character on your key until it snaps in half.

Mechanical: This keyboard may be the last keyboard you ever have. Just like any other mechanical keyboard with Cherry keys on it, its rated for over 50 million key-strokes. Compare 50 million to a conventional rubber or membrane based keyboard that usually have a maximum of 10 million (on a really good day. Its usually around 5 million).

Typing: You will enjoy typing, just as I am enjoying typing this review. Some may claim that it will raise your words per minute but I think its largely situational. Many people, like me, will simply enjoy typing on this keyboard. As we log more hours on it (because we enjoy it), we'll become faster at typing. Aside from that, I do think that right off the bat this keyboard does increase your typing speed a bit. I switched from a membrane keyboard and used to type at about 80 WPM. When I switched to the Blackwidow Ultimate I started typing at around 90 WPM. Now I'm up around 100 WPM.

Media Keys: Great for when you're gaming because you don't need to tab out of the game. Quick note though. The media keys will not work for iTunes. The way you can fix that is by searching in Google: "razer blackwidow itunes support". Click on the first link which should take you to razer support. From there they will direct you to a website which will show you how to slightly modify your iTunes so that it will work with your keyboard. This problem does not only occur with the Blackwidow. The procedure takes about 2 minutes, 5 minutes if you're retarded. All it requires is you to download a small file, create a folder, and drop the file in.

Construction: Keys are mounted on a metal plate. All the wires are glued twice, then tied to the inside for maximum security. Coming out the keyboard is a 1/4th inch braided cable containing the USB pass through, keyboard USB, audio pass through, and microphone pass through. The cable is plenty long so don't be worried about reaching the back of your computer unless its in a different room. The keyboard is pretty heavy and has good traction. Even on my slippery desk the keyboard refuses to budge without considerable effort.

Overall: I love this keyboard. Theres not much else I can say.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, it's been almost 3 weeks and customer support have not issued a refund, May 18, 2012
I bought the stealth edition via razer's own website (apparently you can only buy the stealth edition directly through them). Wow, what I terrible mistake I've made. I got the keyboard and the left ALT key and spacebar rubs against other plastic so it's sticky. I contacted razer for a replacement and they said they will schedule a pickup of the defective unit in 3 business days and then issue a full refund. That was almost 3 weeks ago. I have since purchased a much better quality keyboard (the Logitech G110). All I want to do is return this overpriced piece of crap to them and get my refund. Every time I email them about the UPS pickup of the defective unit so I can get a refund, they have responded "allow 3 business days for a scheduled pick up". I'm not sure what planet the razer support team works on but I'm pretty sure 3 Earth weeks does not equal to 3 Earth business days.

I'm going to contact my credit card company as it is obvious they want to keep my money and not allow me return the defective unit they sold me. I'm also going to contact BBB and my State's camber of commerce about this.

DO NOT BUT Razer products! They will sell you crappy quality items and not allow you to return defects!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Impressive!, February 16, 2011
Live to read "." (Grafenwoehr, Germany) - See all my reviews
Let me begin by saying there is a truly fantastic and extensive review of this keyboard on the overclockerz website. I am in full agreement with every statement in that review and recommend it to anyone trying to decide whether to buy one of these keyboards.

On to my personal experiences now... I'm old enough to have begun on Alps mechanical keyboards, and hadn't realized how much I missed the tactile feedback they provide! I am a fan of this keyboard.

Pros:
- Build quality is outstanding, far superior to many Razer products. This is a heavy, solid product. The phrase "built like a tank" comes to mind.
- Tactile (and audible) feedback is also outstanding. They may initially take some getting used to if this is your first mechanical keyboard, but it felt like "coming home" to me. As another reviewer has commented, the (modified) Cherry Blue keys are ideal for normal typing. I also find them perfectly well suited to gaming, although I can only speak to World of Warcraft. I would like to see how Blues compare with (more expensive) Browns, but that is only based on theory. These keys work fine, and I really like them.
- The key contours and angles fit my hands perfectly and are very comfortable. Each key has been deliberately positioned, and I found the fit excellent. I prefer an ergonomic keyboard, but have no complaints about this straight board.
- Backlighting: As far as I know the Black Widow Ultimate is the only mechanical keyboard offering this feature. It's certainly the only one at this price point. The adjustable brightness levels should let anyone find a setting they like. The ability to use an individual light under each mechanical key (instead of the more diffuse lighting method used with a membrane keyboard) really improves the appearance over every lighted board I've owned in the past.
- Five additional "macro" keys on the left add useful functionality. Because the keyboard can be programmed with profiles that trigger depending what application is active, I can use these for gaming when playing games, and for the common "office favorite" functions found on many keyboards when I'm not playing. I have them set to open a Web browser, my e-mail client, a text editor, etc.
- The typical media control functions seen on many gaming keyboards are available using some "F" keys with an alternate function key (similar to a laptop keyboard). This helps keep an uncluttered appearance.

Cons:
- Ports are on the right side of the keyboard, which interferes with my cabled mouse. I don't know why Razer didn't locate them along the side facing away from the operator, as they have done with other keyboards? I have given up using the USB extension for now, (and see next item).
- The headphone extension cables are braided together so closely that they only reach back panel ports on the tower. Since these ports are filled by speaker plugs on my system, I still have to plug my headphones directly into the front panel ports on the tower. I have therefore given up using the headphone extensions as well. Depending on your configuration, this may not be a problem, of course.
- No N-key rollover. If you're not hard-core enough to know about or want this function, you won't miss it, although I feel a keyboard billed as "Ultimate" and "gaming" should have included it.
- No wrist rest. This is a thick board, and I did not find it comfortable to type on until I purchased a third-party solution at the local office supply store.

Subjective aspects, aka "your mileage may vary."
- Appearance is visually interesting, and as a touch typist I have found no issue with the non-standard font on the typefaces.
- Yes, the shiny surfaces attract dust and fingerprints. However: The same microfiber cloth I use to clean the monitor wipes off the keyboard just as well. Problem solved for me. Incidentally, hang on to the transparent plastic cover it was packed with and use it for a dust/impact shield when not typing.
- Software is not provided in the package and must be downloaded from the Razer website. Personally I think getting the latest drivers this way is better than loading potentially obsolete drivers from a pre-packaged CD. In my case it turned out that at least one download (drivers or firmware, don't recall) had been updated just one day before my board was delivered!
- Another reviewer pointed out that the "F" keys are offset a bit to the right of their normal locations. Even though I am a touch typist, I found I adjusted quickly.

In summary: Although perhaps not the "Ultimate" gaming keyboard possible, and even though there is room for improvement in some of the feature it provides (at least in my opinion), this is an terrific keyboard that I highly recommend. It perfectly does everything I need it to, plus adds a number of very nice to have features, and looks good while doing so. It is a great addition to the rest of my blue-lit gaming rig, and I could find no equivalent at this price point.

Perhaps the ultimate endorsement is that my spouse informed me within two days of its arrival that I had to buy another for her. She had never used a mechanical keyboard before, but became an instant convert!

1.0 out of 5 stars great board, but bad luck with Razer's QC, April 6, 2011
Okay the keyboard is overall fantastic. Types like a dream as far as comfort and speed. The additional macro buttons and function keys are a big help as well.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, I have had a TERRIBLE experience so far with Razer's quality control as far as these boards are concerned. About a week ago the [Left Ctrl] key on my several day old Razer Blackwidow (the standard edition, not the ultimate) just stopped working, with no explanation whatsoever, so I swapped it out for an old Lycosa which I had been using before while I waited for my replacement to arrive (decided to upgrade to an ultimate from the standard because I wanted a backlight to help me type in the dark when I game at night). So my new board arrives, and I discover shortly after unboxing it that it has a second [T] key where the [Y] key should be... Keep in mind that this the second issue I have had in less than a week, with their highest quality board, no less.

LONG STORY SHORT, GREAT BOARD, BUT BE READY IF RAZER'S QUALITY CONTROL SCREWS YOU OVER!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Poor response and then fail, August 27, 2012
I purchased this and installed it per the directions. This is my first mechanical keyboard so I was excited to recieve it and get started. It typed very well and at first I seemed to have no problem gaming. But then I noticed that there seemed to be a response problem in games. I had to hit keys several times with no game reaction, but when I clicked with the mouse on the action buttons they responded. This got to be a real problem and I was already planning to replace it. Then it just quit altogether. The firmware updated and it gets stuck in boot mode and windows doesn't recognise it and drivers are not installed. No power to the keyboard, no anything. I followed the directions on razor website which didn't fix it and then googled. Oh no, there are tons of posts of this happening to many, many customers. What a let down. This product and firmware is defective and this company has repeatedly failed to resolve the issue. I have uninstalled drivers, reinstalled drivers, even did a system restore. No luck. I have tried multiple solutions and still I have a dead keyboard less than 2 months after purchase. This is suppose to be a high end product, (you certainly are paying top dollar) and it is nothing but a big dissapointment. My strong advice would be to avoid this product.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Aug 28, 2012 1:02:24 PM PDT
Hi MotorCityMuse,

Sorry to hear that you've having an issue with your keyboard. Please contact us ASAP at http://razersupport.com/email in order for us to get set up with a replacement keyboard.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Razer Customer Satisfaction

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice one,but not perfect., January 5, 2011
This one uses cherry blue(modified,Razer reduced the feedback force from the typical 60g to 50g)mechanical switches. If you don't know the differences between cherry black/brown/blue/white... make sure you do your homework before purchasing this.

Pros:
+Mechanical switches. cherry blue is usually considered the best for typing, and you will experience a noticeable typing speed and accuracy increase once you get used to it. On the other hand, cherry black is considered better at RTS gaming performance, since it has shorter key travel distance and larger feedback force. However, I prefer this one better because it's more balanced--typing on a cherry black keyboard will make you tired due to the increased feedback force. And of cause, it's overall experience should be superior to any non-mechanical keyboards.
+Build quality. The first impression when holding this in my hands is that it's rock solid. It in fact is. The cable is nicely sleeved and all of the for connectors(2 USBs and headphone/microphone) are gold plated. The LEDs are bright--at max brightness, it's actually brighter than any other boards i've ever seen. Most importantly, the keycaps are very well built. Unlike the Razer Lycosa I owned before, all the letters are visible and clear while the LEDs are off.
+Onboard Macros. I always hated to modify my macros using software--things can mess up with different computers. Now Razer offers you the option to manage your macros without the software(pressing fn+right alt). This is just a minor improvement to some people, but really useful to me.

Cons:
-Lock indicators. All the three LEDs indicating the Num lock/Screen lock/Caps lock are far less bright than the keys. They are very hard to read even with the key LEDs off. The Gaming and Marco indicator brightness is fair thou.
-Caps Lock key. I do prefer a small gap between the A and Caps Lock key, but it's not there. Without the gap, I tend to press the Caps lock key on the right edge every time. Unlike rubber, mechanical switches won't go smoothly down while not pressed right on top. Razer does tried to compensate this: they had a string-like mechanism under large keys such as the space/enter/shift keys etc. But that mechanism is not present on the caps lock key.
-Anti-ghosting. As we all know, one advantage of a mechanical keyboard is that it has nearly no ghosting effect(especially when using PS/2 port). I don't know what happened there, but this one seems to allow just 6 keys to be pressed simultaneously without ghosting. This seems to be fine, but considering it as a mechanical keyboard and selling for $100+, I'd say this is a downside.
-Key layout. Alright, this is weird. If you pay some attention to the picture, you will find that all the punctuations are in the opposite position compared to a normal keyboard layout. This if fine with the LEDs on--all the shift+xxx characters are not lit up. But,well, from the day I first touched a keyboard, the ! is on top of 1 and .is below >. I don't get the idea why Razer made such a change, but it definitely requires you some time to get used to this.

Overall:
Very solid product, nice appearance, well built, and solid performance...with some minor problems. If you are a heavy typer or a gamer(who do not like the heavy-feedback cherry black switches) and is looking for a best keyboard, this is worth a serious consideration.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent keyboard even for non-gamers, December 23, 2010
The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard is excellent not just for gamers but also for non-gamers like me who type a lot. It is by far the best keyboard I have used in the past 25 years. After owning it for just one hour, my typing speed and accuracy have improved over my previous keyboard (a Microsoft membrane type). With my previous keyboard, if I type "one two three" sometimes I would get "one tow three". That is because the W key for that particular keyboard requires more travel and pressure than the other keys, resulting in a registration delay. This is a common problem with membrane keyboards, but my Razer mechanical keyboard has no such problem.

In fact, the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate keyboard cost less than some high-end Logitech membrane keyboards. It feels rock solid, and is two or three times heavier than my previous Microsoft keyboard. It is not as noisy as I thought it would be for a mechanical keyboard, though it is not quiet either. The gentle blue LED backlighting is easy on the eyes, but the shift characters such as @ or $ are not illuminated. I counted roughly 107 LEDs, so I am impressed that the keyboard can be powered with one USB port from my Samsung laptop, even at the highest LED brightness level.

The keyboard comes with a cluster of four braided gold-plated cables: headphone, microphone, keyboard USB, and passthrough USB. Initially I thought that the passthrough would give me an extra USB port, but not so. It is basically an extension USB cable, so you gain nothing and lose nothing.

I wish that the Razer had a slightly deeper wrist rest, but this is a minor issue for me.

The keyboard does not come with a driver CD. You can download the driver from [...]. For a couple of minutes, I kept on going to wrong site because I was typing "razor" instead of "razer". The keyboard comes with a futuristic User's Guide that has a black color theme, an embossed logo, glossy color pages, and stylistically cut pages.

You may want to keep the plastic keyboard cover that is part of the box packaging. It is a perfect dust cover that is durable and a perfect fit for the keyboard, matching even the shape of the two lower cut corners.

UPDATE: After five months, the space bar kept on hitting the right Alt key, sometimes activating it. I therefore removed the right Alt key, and lowered the Amazon.com rating from 5 stars to 4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Gateway Mechanical Keyboard, May 15, 2011
Pros:
Cherry MX Blue mechanical key switches feel great!
Function keys work without hassle or pop up user interfaces (volume, playback, etc.)
Lighted keys a plus for those who occasionally work in the dark.
Space bar is nicely balanced so that pressing it to the far sides do not cause the key to fail.

Cons:
As expected, louder than your traditional membrane based keyboard. Made me feel awkward using in the presence of others at first, but I am getting used to it.

Bottom line:
Great usable mechanical keyboard at an affordable price compared to other mechanical keyboards on the market.

Rate and Discover Movies