5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product
Published 20 months ago by MICHAEL T.

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Bricked Unit
I've had this keyboard since April of 2012, I loved it for the most part. They key's are responsive with a pleasant springy touch. the backlighting is nice with varying light levels. Why the negative 1 star review then?

Published 17 months ago by Adam L. Astopenia

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, May 4, 2013
This review is from: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Mechanical PC Gaming Keyboard (Personal Computers)
I purchased this keyboard to use at my work. I know it must sound crazy to spend so much on a work computer. However, after much research, I wanted a good reliable mechanical keyboard I could use everyday. The macros help with my basic functions at work that usually take a few steps to complete, now I just hit a button after programming all the steps onto the software program. The back-lit keyboard is an added bonus, I am not a "gamer" in any way so I keep the light on its lowest setting. I justified the money since I use the keyboard for about 10 hours a day 5 days a week. I am definietly getting my moneys worth out of. I have had it now for about 3 months and everything is still working and feels perfect. It weighs about 3lbs and built solid, and the mechanical keys are amazing. I wanted to write a review on anyone looking at this keyboard that is not a gamer. It is still a great keyboard that will last. I recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad: Only Board I Could Find Built Like This, March 14, 2013
I wanted:
The bank of Cherry MX macro keys on the left side of the keyboard.
Cherry MX Brown Switches (Stealth Edition)
Costar type stabilizers for the long keys
Good KRO in a USB connected board (2013 does 10KRO plus anti-ghosting).
Programmable keys/macros (for the entire board)
USB and analogue audio pass-through
Back-lit

To get a keyboard that meets these specs there was only one that I could find for less than $200 at the time I was shopping. The Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Stealth Edition.

To get the Stealth Edition at the time I had to buy direct from Razer.

Only flaw I found in this board was very minor. It had a slight wobble on my desk if I was not using the kick-stands in the back (I don't use the kick-stands in keyboards).

At first I thought the board itself was warped. Upon much closer inspection, I learned that:

1. My cheap desk had bows and dips in it.
2. On a sheet of glass confirmed to be precision ground square/flat, the Razer sat rock solid.
3. Unlike my old membrane keyboards that will 'flex' a bit to fit an uneven surface, this BW doesn't 'bend or flex'.

My fix was simple. I took an Emory nail file/board and took a slight bit of material out of the soft rubber front-center pad of the keyboard and buffed it smooth like new. No more wobble.

Provided this thing lasts more than a year with no issues, it's definitely a five star product.
It fits what I wanted, and the price is in-line with other similar products.

I'm not one bit disappointed with my purchase. This thing is nice!

The keyboard is solidly built and it works flawlessly.

What makes this board 'different' from the rest:

I welcome the added features of the Razer Synapse software.

It has a clean UI that is easy to use. It makes it easy to remap or build powerful macros for almost every key on the board (the windows key and fn key on the bottom row don't seem to be re-mappable with Synapse, but they do offer some interesting gaming targeted options of their own none the less). Macro building offers some power user options like including mouse clicks, launching other applications/software/scripts, altering timings, and many more. Profile management is a breeze...making it easy to make alternate copies and move things around from key map to map.
Synapse also affords the ability to have keyboard profiles (including the back-light settings) auto swap as different applications/windows are brought to the foreground in Windows.

I also found it nice to be able to build quick and easy macros on the fly without opening Synapse.

Having the option to save profiles and share them on the cloud has been a great collaboration tool and a general time saver for me. I can't wait for this technology to expand even further as the platform has much potential to offer even more collaboration power if a web UI is added, and individual key bindings can eventually move across different devices (or even brands of devices).

Media Keys:
There is a basic set of media keys for adjusting volume, and stopping and starting media players that adhere to Microsoft's standards for such keys. On the Black Widow, these media functions are not 'dedicated keys' so they do share Function keys in combination with a special Fn key.

I found that the media volume keys worked fine for any application under Windows 7.

Microsoft Media Player, Real Player, Win Amp, and Media Monkey all responded to the volume, stop, and start keys, even if they were running the background. Nero 12 was the only media player I tried that suffered a hick-up. I had to bring Nero Kwik Media into the forground (top one of its windows) before all the media keys worked.

There's also a sleep function combo that can put your computer to sleep provided your OS is set up properly. For my Windows 7 64bit based system this worked great with no extra tweaking on my part. To wake up the computer all I had to do was tap any key or click any mouse button (might be dependent on your bios settings). Sleep work just fine for me without changing anything about the OS or BIOS settings, but don't be surprised if your system needs a little coaxing to make sleep work for you.

Other BW specific shared fn keys include one for quick recording macros on the fly.
You simply tap a fn+F9 combo and an led starts blinking to let you know it is recording. Punch in your macro. Tap the same key combo again, and it's done! If you need to edit the macro it'll be waiting for you in Synapse 2.0 with a default name which you can change, along with any other aspect of the macro you might want to edit.

You get a key to enable/disable a special gaming mode which can be taylored to block certain keys from accidental presses during gaming, while also stepping up extra hypersense and anti-ghosting technologies that the Black Widow provides.

Finishing out the fn key list, are a couple of combos for changing the LED modes.

What Razer did with the keys:

I enjoy the modified (Not a true ANSI/ISO layout) key layout on the function keys and the bottom most row for gaming. I find the keys are easier to reach, and less stressful for gaming. This does take some getting used to if you're a stickler for having an 'exact' ANSI/ISO key layout. For me the transition was painless and more than welcome...as the only time I need to quickly press function keys is when gaming anyway. It's a more comfortable layout for me.

The function keys are clustered closer together than standard. They are also pulled down a little closer to the top row of number keys. Is this better? If you have smaller hands and want to easily reach the function row while gaming...it's great! If you're more visually reliant as a typist, and concerned about easily being able to glance down and find the right function key it might not be so welcome.

Like any keyboard using the Cherry switches, you can easily remove the key-caps and refit them to other layouts (key angles may vary if a key changes rows); hence this board is ideal if you need to use alternate layouts (Dvorak, Other languages...etc).

The bottom most row of keys is slightly different from the standard as well. The ctrl and alt keys are over-sized, making them easy to find and press, while the windows-special-keys are reduced to a smaller key-size (same as the letter keys). This change also allowed them to pack an extra 'function' key on the right side for addressing keyboard specific functions. Personally, I like this layout for gaming. The only drawback here to me is that it might make it a little more difficult to match 'after-market' or 'custom' key-cap replacements on the bottom most row (You can still get after-market keys in these sizes, but it might be more difficult to get them matched up in pre-fab sets or packages).

The font on the keys is definitely non-standard and is targeted at a gaming market. This font IS very easy to see and read, and in my opinion it looks nice, and certainly isn't a deal breaker. The main thing most people notice is that the R key uses a Razer specific R that looks something like a Greek "Gamma" instead of an R. If this sort of thing bugs you, definitely take a look at some pictures close up before buying.

Due to the way Cherry MX switches are back-lit, only the top half of the keys can be lit evenly without some pretty expensive engineering. For this reason Razer chose to change some visual aspects of the key-caps. Non-shifted characters are located on top and lit. Shifted characters are placed in the center of the key and do NOT light up. This is inverted to what we're used to seeing, but the keys still type out what is expected.

Again, this should not be a deal breaker, as your choices in this price-range of back-lit Cherry based keyboards will most likely suffer from uneven back-lighting (the character printed in the center of the key will be dim, or not lit at all), or they will use the exact same technique as Razer has (not even trying to light the center of the key). Some more expensive boards (at the time this reviewer was shopping) out there might put the un-shifted character and shifted characters side-by-side on the top half of the key and light them both. In short, with Cherry MX boards, expect some kind of compromise on this back-lighting issue for any board in this price range.

Actual key-cap quality isn't bad in my opinion. Back-lit key-caps for Cherry switches all seem to require some compromises that can either shorten their lifespan or cost a premium to solve (some sort of opaque finish or layer has to be applied to a translucent plastic). Provided one keeps these keys wiped on regular basis (oils and sweat can have a high acid or base PH, so wipe them often), they should last for several years of typing/gaming abuse.

Razer's keys do have a more tapered and spherical shape to them, giving them a unique feel. I happen to like it, especially for gaming where hand-position can often be less than ideal, but those with really wide fingers, expecting 'flatter' key-caps should be aware of this. These keys are definitely the same 'size' as others, but with a lightly more spherical indent/shape to them.

The keyboard does light up green. Without using Synapse one gets a variety of brightness settings using a function key combo (6 I believe, from off, to a pulsating mode). Using Synapse, there are more like 100 brightness settings from barely glowing, to full bright or pulsing mode.

The chassis:
The chassis finish is a nice mate black.
You get the standard flip up feet under the back if you like more angle on your keyboard.
There is a lit Razer logo front and center of the small thumb rest area.

Pass-throughs and cabling:
The main cord is pretty thick and it has braided shielding. It splits into two USB plugs (one is optional for making the keyboard work, but mandatory for using the pass-through), and two 3.5mm stereo male plugs for the headphone/mic passthrough. (I'll get back with cord length when I can find my tape)

All the plugs appear to be gold plated. I guess this is intended to help cut down on corrosion in high humidity climates?

I occasionally use an inexpensive analog style headset from Radio Shack for Skyping while my primary audio comes from Bose loudspeakers. I found the passthrough for the headset easy to reach (on the right and side of the keyboard), and as far as I can tell the signal throughput is just fine. No crackles or jiggles there.

I frequently use the USB passthrough for storage sticks, and occasionally for charging things like iPods or eCigs. This is also located on the right hand side for easy reach. Since I keep the keyboard in a rolling tray, and the mouse itself lives up a level on the desk, this is a great placement for the USB passthrough...no worries about it getting the way of the mouse given my setup.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Bricked Unit, July 18, 2013

Well there is a new program that Razer has called Synapse 2.0 that allows you to sync your keyboard/mouse settings against multiple computers. This is nice in theory, but there is a large caveat. Apparently the software has the potential to be buggy. I found this out the hard way when I went to update my keyboard software/drivers per synapses response and watched as may keyboard shut off only to not be recognized by my computer ever again.

I called up their customer service and was told that it looks like something went wrong during the update and that there was likely a "glitch," during the update. This bricked my unit and was told the only solution is to replace it. With my keyboard now being 15 months old it's out of it's 12 month warranty period, and was told in essence, "too bad."

I liked the keyboard while it works, but can not recommend any product where the company can have a practice of releasing device breaking software and not standing behind their product when they do

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jul 22, 2013 4:30:23 PM PDT
Hi Adam,

We just took a look into your case and we've already started the process of an RMA so we can help you with the problems you're having. Please get back to us ASAP to proceed.

Thank you for understanding.

Razer Customer Satisfaction

5.0 out of 5 stars another razer product for my collection :D, December 5, 2013
I hesitated when i saw bad reviews on the synapse 2.0 software, but it hasn't really gotten in my way at all, and its not using much cpu or internet (windows 7 ultimate btw)

---PROS/NOTES---
this keyboard is 100% mechanical, as opposed to other keyboards that have mechanical keys with chiclet or dome style function keys

this keyboard is also has a very nice click-ity click-ity sound, which i like very much, if you don't like the click sound, get a blackwidow stealth, which uses cherry brown switches instead

the M keys on the side are useful, as synapse software allows you to assign pretty much anything you want to them, from volume to screen brightness to macro* (MACRO defined below)

the led razer symbol in the middle is... just.... nice.... it gives you the (proud) feeling of being a razer user, you can set the brightness in the synapse software, as well as set it to pulse mode

there is a usb extension and headphone outs, so if the only place to plug in your headphones on your pc is the rear i/o plate, this makes everything much easier (audio tested with no quality loss)

this keyboard seems to be able to register 14 keys at any instant, which is much better than any standard usb keyboard (tested by myself here: [...] )

razer also has a "gaming mode" that simply disables certain keys when enable so that you dont (or rather, CAN) press them (eg the windows key, you wouldn't want to press that in the middle of a multiplayer game)

also, pressing alt+fn seems to make the keyboard go into macro mode, so dont be upset when somethings stuck on the on position, (eg shift), cherry switchs are always reliable

---NOTE/CONS----

one thing that some people might not like is the fact that it takes up 2 usb ports, which only bothers SOME (laptop users maybe?) i have 12 usb ports on the back of my mobo, as well as an unused header, so im fine with the dual usb

note that the usb cable is very thick (~0.7cm in diameter), but braided

This keyboard is pretty heavy, which combined with rubber feet in my opinion is very good because it prevents your keyboard from slipping

the keyboard is very solid, and looks very neat, it looks like my old windows 95 keyboard, ( nice slope with the top surface extending out a bit) except much more modern

---notes---
if you are unsure, go to a local gaming shop or major pc store (frys stocks them), there are usually a couple for you to try (on display) and the box has a cutout above the arrow keys for you to press and try

since this is a full cherry blue keyboard, you can change the layout by pulling off the keycaps and rearranging them (time consuming) as well as use custom keycaps as long as they fit cherry blue switchs

*macro= a recorded sequence of keys, eg open menu, select unit, deploy, a macro would make that 1 key rather than having to press 3 combinations

one thing i dont like is how you have to pres FN+F_(#)_ to use the media setiings (eg next track, play/pause, etc), but i dont use it enough to actually complain

the basic keys will work without synapse, but macros require the software

5.0 out of 5 stars Click, Click, BOOM!, January 14, 2013
Used to use an IBM Model M for drafting and I missed the snap of the keys and how responsive that old thing was. This is a great substitution as all the keys provide a great tactile *click* when pressed and the USB port on the side of the keyboard is quite handy if the tower is too far away from your desk. I don't think though the price should be as high seeing as the MAC version which has all the same components and remote USB port is $25 cheaper but it's still a very well made keyboard and I would most certainly buy again.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, June 6, 2013
Been using this keyboard for several months now and I am in love with it for all types of gaming. Took me a bit of time to get used to mechanical but now I can never go back. I'm definitely no Razer fanboy but I can definitely stand up for 2 of the 3 products I've purchased from them. (BWU 2013, and Razer Deathadder 2013 mouse) Price is always iffy for a keyboard like this but I'm happy I bought it. Good luck to future buyers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst buying experience so far. 3 defective units in a row., December 16, 2013
I've never written a review before - this is the first time and I believe I have to write this.
I received the product - there were 3 keys that did not "click" - and those keys became unusable after a month. I contacted Razer, got a replacement. Strangely, the replacement got 1 key malfunctioned - the "-" key in the numpad. While that key does not matter much, I still wanted a replacement, so I contacted customer service again, and got another replacement. Here's the funny part: I got another defective unit; there are 3 keys malfunctioned (so far I know of) "z", "t", and "c", which makes typing impossible.
The product itself is great - but really, did they NOT do any quality check before sending out the product? I mean, how can you replace a defective product with another defective product? And really, it's been 2 months and I can never use the product properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Click-Click-Click- Want to piss off everyone in your house? BUY THIS!, July 10, 2013
First off this company sponsors my two favorite pro SC2 teams so I wanted to be sure to try their keyboard. After reading a few bad reviews here, I decided to head off to a store to try this baby out and I was not disappointed. Construction is solid and keyboard works flawlessly.

You will need to visit the online site for some macro information but it's very informative and easy to navigate once you map out your own macros. The MX blue switches are TIGHT! I love that the keyboard has the headphone/mic inputs because it gives me more range of motion as opposed to plugging into the tower. The finish on the keyboard is matte which keeps smudging and slippage to a minimum.

The MX blue switches are very gamer satisfying and add a lot to your game experience, but watch out because everyone else in your house will want to murder you because of the 'noise'.

Couldn't be happier..

5.0 out of 5 stars Best keyboard ever, May 25, 2013
the keys have that crisp sound, no complains at all, it's a mac keyboard. There's really nothing more I could ask of this keyboard, only warning I have is that they usb port on the keyboard only a pass though, which means you need to plug in 2 usb chords to your computer to get that to work, I even had to buy a usb adapter to get it to fully function. Other than that, I LOVE my keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mechanical keyboard, January 15, 2013
I had the 2012 black widow ultimate, but the form factor with this board is worth the other downgrades. It's priced extremely agressively, competing with CM rapdfire.

Pros:
modified Cherry MX Blues with less noise
Excellent layout and ergonomics
Small form factor

Cons:
Somewhat bad QC, but every mass produced product has less than perfect QC.
Software can be a bit of a hangup for some.
updating software takes way to long.

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Mechanical PC Gaming Keyboard
$226.65
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.