5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable headset I've worn yet...
Published on July 30, 2009 by Mu Cephi

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Nice headset, poor wiring.
Published 19 months ago by Helico

5.0 out of 5 stars Most comfortable headset I've worn yet..., July 30, 2009
Mu Cephi (Drifting in space.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razer Carcharias Over Ear PC Gaming Headset (Personal Computers)
I must admit I was a bit put off by the price of this gaming headset and the lack of features. Other PC headsets such as the Logitech G35 and Senn's PC350 were priced more but came with more features and of course, a bigger brand name. But when it comes down to gaming and listening to music, you aren't really asking for a lot. The Razer Carcharias delivers what one would need to enjoy listening to music, and of course, long comfortable gaming sessions.

Out of the box, the Carcharias seems pretty normal, perhaps even a bit cheaply made. Padding is placed in appropriate places, including the headband and loudspeakers. The padding is exceptionally soft, especially around the loudspeakers where the material is felt-like. The thin plastic that covers part of the headphones may seem flimsy, but is very light. A nice mesh around the headphones is also present, and also takes away a bit of weight. A nice part of the construction is the wire that connects the speakers to the headband. It is not only quite sturdy, but also gives some range of motion without compromising that integrity. Speaking of wires, the cable for the headset itself is very lengthy (nine feet) and is braided in fiber. The mic is sturdy itself and can be turned 270 degrees. It is also bendable at the midsection to some degree.

No sense praising the construction if it isn't even comfortable, and this is the part where the Carcharias excels at. Placing these headphones on for the first time felt amazing, as if it was conforming to the shape of my head. Of course, I felt this way about many headphones at first, so naturally I decided to start up a few games (which easily lasted several hours), after which I listened to a few hours of music while studying. There was absolutely no discomfort at all after all that time. The lightweight construction and circumaural design is a real blessing to the ears. The headphones themselves are also very easy to adjust.

The audio quality for these headphones is quite exceptional, enough to justify wearing these headphones for hours. As probably mentioned, audiophiles may want to look elsewhere, but for the casual listener, the quality is more than good enough. Although the bass is quite deep ("boomy"), it does not overwhelm the treble. The highs for this headphones can be quite distinct (ie loud), and since the volume can go quite high on this thing, may be overwhelming sometimes. Much of this is perfectly suited to games, especially first-person shooters. Keep in mind that this headset does not provide surround sound, and never was intended to. You can take a look at the aforementioned models for that.

The noise-filtering mic for this headset works well. I tested it with Ventrilo, Skype, and Left 4 Dead, and others could hear me very well, with a noticeable lack of background noise from my side. I should note that I had the mic at its default positioning (no additional bending). It can be adjusted to be a bit closer or further.

Overall, the Razer Carcharias does its job as a gaming headset very well. I consider it Razer's best headset in terms of price vs performance; a step above the Mako, and better than the Barracuda and Megalodon. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys long gaming sessions and listening to music. The comfort along with its exceptional audio quality and mic justifies the pricing; just don't expect any extra features.

Side note: I also think the name for this headset is awesome. As someone who's interested in cartilaginous fishes, I don't think they could have picked a better name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mic, Great Sound, June 12, 2009
This is the best voice/audio solution I've found for gaming. There's plenty of cushioning around the ears and on the top of the head. They do a superb job of distributing their weight. I have some reservations about the microphone getting loose but so far so good. If it does, I believe I can fix it with some tape. The cord is wrapped in a similar/same material that you find on new power supply cables and is very pleasant to hold.

The mic is by far the best I've ever had. It picks up my voice excellently with volume to spare. It does not bother my face at all and never hits me in the mouth.

The headphone portion of this set is also great. They produce great sound and have impressive bass all things considered. Is this audiophile quality sound? Probably not, but it's still the best sound from a headset I've ever heard. Excellent frequency response (20 Hz-20,000Hz).

Overall, an excellent headset if a bit on the pricey side. The microphone is great without compromising too much in the headphones and is probably the best sound with microphone you can get for $80. You might be able to do better with some audiophile headphones but they don't have mics :P The packaging is also beautiful. You will feel guilty throwing any of it away.

4.0 out of 5 stars A truly amazing headset, July 21, 2009
this headset is AMAZING. incredibly comfortable around the ears for hours of gaming...even with glasses, super soft cusions around ear and on headband, great mic quality...no complaints so far. And as an added bonus, the cables are bound in a rope-like material....and thats just awesome :)

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Nice headset, poor wiring., November 24, 2012
Helico (Corn field) - See all my reviews
I really like this headset. The sound is great and they are comfortable. However, I just had my second headset mic go bad. The first headset worked great for about 6 months then the mic quit working. The second set didn't last 2 months before it quit. No matter how much I like it, I can't give something that breaks so easily more than one star. I'm about to get a third headset (Best Buy warranty). We'll see how long those last.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Dec 11, 2012 11:28:46 AM PST
Hi Helico,

Glad that you've enjoyed the headset - and sorry to hear that you've had issues with multiple units. If you ever have another issue, please contact us at http://razersupport.com/email and we'll try to work with you to make it right.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Razer Customer Satisfaction

2.0 out of 5 stars Little Good To Say About These, March 2, 2012
Considering the price, these could be a LOT better. I have experience with two more sets of headphones that embolden me to criticize these. I'll start off by saying these are very comfortable headphones and I love circumaural design, usually it increases immersion and fidelity, but in the case of the Carcharias, I'd describe the sound as 'pitchy', I didn't realize how much I was suffering with these until I got a set of Sennheiser headphones, and went back to Plantronic for my mic headset solution. These may be touted as high fidelity gaming headphones, but a quick listen to treble-filled music at any volume will tell you something is wrong. These are headphones that will actually hurt your ears at reasonable volume. The mic is mildly muffled as well and makes my voice sound deeper, I was complimented on a change of mic to a headset about a fifth of this price.

One of the worst parts is the internal construction; after these broke, I decided to open them up. The construction involves soldering of thin flimsy wiring to a chipboard. I'm not sure what the purpose of this board was, maybe it digitally separates treble sounds and magnifies them to ear bleeding levels and that's the secret, but I was not impressed, and was quite surprised these didn't break sooner (less than a year as it was, which would be acceptable for standard but not circumaural headphones in this range). Don't waste your money on these, they're part in a series of hardcore gamer scams, you can do better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great headset for the money, April 26, 2011
Before this headset, I was using the Bose Around-Ear Headphones, which offered great audio quality, though I'm no audiophile. The two issues I had with the old Bose headphones was A) Using a Microphone to talk to other players in Ventrilo while playing games with the headphones was awkward, and B) The previous Bose pair had issues right after the one-year warranty wore off TWICE. For the first pair, the stitching for the padding around the speakers started coming appart and for the second pair, the stitching came apart and the left speaker stopped working altogether. Needless to say, I wasn't going to sign up for a third pair knowing they would need replacing roughly a year from now.

Now, going from the $150 Bose headphones to this $65 Razer Headset, my first concern was the inevitable drop in sound quality that this headset would produce, and while yes, there is a drop in sound quality, it isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Bass is only slightly less sharp and trebble in general just sounds ever so slightly more flat than the Bose headphones, and I have to actually TRY to pick out the diffrences in order to really notice. Similarly, I used the test function in Ventrilo in order to get an idea for what my voice would sound like, and my voice was nice and clear, save for a light whining noise in the background (most likely background noise being downtoned by the mic).

Seeing as I've just bought a headset that rivals my old $150 Bose headphones in sound quality and a mic that offers similar voice quality for less than HALF of what I payed for my old Bose headphones alone, I'm incredibly happy with this purchase. Razer's products just seem to hit home with me, as I've also bought a Deathadder a while back and love it.

The only real drawback I can think of is that while this headset does go around the ears, and is VERY comfortable, it doesn't really "seal" around the ears, so it's pretty likely that sound leaks from the headset and others can hear if you use them at high volume. I don't have a problem with that, seeing as I use them while alone anyways, but this may matter to some.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Quality, October 28, 2012
This headset didn't even last 9 months before the mic breaking, then a month later headphones stopped completely. Worst razer product i have bought and will not buy another again. This headset should cost 30 dollars not the 80 they charge for the terrible quality item they give.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 29, 2012 4:17:25 PM PDT
Hi Masterwong,

Very sorry to hear that your mic may have malfunctioned. Our headsets are covered under our generous warranty policy. Please contact our Customer Support team at http://razersupport.com/email and we'll be able to help you get a replacement.

Regards,

Razer Customer Satisfaction

2.0 out of 5 stars Monotone After 7 Months, November 15, 2011
I purchased these headphones 7 months ago and now it won't produce quality sound - it's completely monotone. At first, I thought it was my headphone jack, but I simply plugged in the headphones into other devices only to encounter the same issue.

I've purchased several other Razer products and they're still fighting the good fight. As far as usage goes, I used these headphones on a daily basis - roughly 2-3 hours a day at 60-70% volume. I'm extremely disappointed in the durability of this product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great headset, but brakes easily despite protected cord, September 13, 2011
I've had this headset for a little over a year and the sound went out on the right side. Despite having the protected cord, the volume adjustment on the cable easily comes loose, as its made with just cheap plastic. Really disappointing, as overall it was a great headset.

2.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable but terrible microphone quality, June 21, 2010
D. Bourdua (Montreal, QC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This headset is very comfortable, looks resilient enough for an intense usage, the sound is good but only Dolby 2.0, and it is not USB, bad thing if you are using this micro for a guild/raid with a third party software for the sound: you cannot switch the sound of your teammates to your headset and the game itself to your main speakers. But the biggest disapointment is the microphone itself. Geez, it sounds awful, worse than my cheap phone itself. My old logitech headset at 50 bucks sounded much better. So, in my opinion, if it's for music and nothing else, meh, why not? Otherwise, for gaming, go get something else.

Razer Carcharias Over Ear PC Gaming Headset