on July 17, 2009
Verified Purchase
I bought pre-ordered this headset from Razer's website a few days before they were released. I eagerly popped the awesome packaging open (watch Razer's unboxing video on YouTube if you haven't already) and threw them on.

The Megalodon's are by far the most comfortable computer headphones I've worn. The headband padding is cushy and keeps the headset from feeling too heavy on your noggin. The earcups, which go around your ears, are very soft and padded well. If anyone owned the Barracudas, some people (myself included) had issues where their ears would actually rest directly on the speakers and get sore after a while. Not with these babies! The padding is excellent and the earcups are very deep.

The mic is permanently attached and can rotate 270 degrees. The control pod is easy to use and let's you adjust the volume of each individual speaker channel and the bass separately. You can also of course switch between 2.1 and 7.1 modes with the press of a button.

The only issue though is to check and make sure that your movies and games can output 7.1 surround sound. If not, some sounds will be a little distorted and muffled. In these cases you are supposed to use 2.1 mode. Check your compatibility to see if what you watch/play is compatible now, but also keep in mind that future games and blu-ray releases should support 7.1.

One example of a standout game was Fallout 3. AMAZING. I could hear the wind blowing, characters talking, and could pinpoint exactly where bullets were being fired from. It truly rivaled my own conventional 5.1 setup. I'm going to have a hard time going back to stereo headsets!

[...]
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 16, 2011
Short Version

They are worth they money, they are very comfy to wear, the sound quality and bass are great and the Microphone works properly. People don't take the time read manuals and troubleshoot when they go wrong and assume its the products fault. PC parts do not always jive well with each other without a little fussing. If you wanted simple and easy go buy a console.

Long Version

Ok I hope people see this review before they read all the posts about how bad these headphones are and how they are not worth the money. Because they are wroth the money.

First off to everyone who complains about the microphone quality. You need to realize that this headset has a built in sound card via the USB cord. There are controls and settings on the panel you need to set up. You need to both fiddle with your control panel microphone settings on your PC and the headphone controls on the actually control panel via the cord. There are both microphone output settings and noise cancellation levels for the microphone on the device itself. So when you're trying to set up these headphones you need to make sure you test and tweak theses settings. By default they are up to high and you also must make sure your using a high quality encoding with whatever voice chat system your using. Some built in game voice chat uses really low quality codec's so no matter how good your microphone is its going to sound like crap. This is not the fault of the headset. This is also the case with Ventrilo, the few posts I saw regarding that. If you sound like crap check the sound settings next time. I have done very extensive testing and everyone says I sound better than ever now on my voice servers.

Second to those who are reporting actual sound issues. This is mainly due to the fact your usb ports are either not providing enough power to the headset or you just got a bad product. It happens to the best of us. Chin up, contact razor and or Newegg and return for another product. Don't pass judgment on something for a one time flop. Now if your second pair is just as bad of an experience by all means judge away. In the end make sure you contact razor and troubleshoot before returning anything, as I said earlier PC parts don't always mix well without a little love from the user.

Third and finally my own issue and a few others here and on the Amazon reviews regarding this product complain that the headset doesn't turn off when you turn your computer off. (The lights stay on basically) This is a motherboard issue and is different for each person. Its really just depends on how your motherboard handles its power settings. For me this was really annoying because my computer sits near my bed, so trying to sleep every night with a bright glowing blue LED headset next to me was rather hard. Contacting razor I explained the issue and after a few e-mails back and forth. (They could be a bit faster on there replies so I won't rate there CS as the best really but they pointed me to the right solution) For anyone having a problem with the power first make sure your USB legacy option is turned on and your BIOS is up to date for anything related to the motherboard. IF this doesn't fix it you need to look under the EuP power mode setting and make sure its enabled, this was under the APM menu in my BIOS. This will allow your computer to turn off certain USB devices when the computer is set to off. I could get more technical but just mentioning the BIOS update might be to much for some people.

Last but not least for those who complain about the echo effect? First unless your game or music is 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound enabled and has the proper codec to play it it's not going to EVER sound right. This is why you have a 2.0 setting on the headset. Always to make sure you have the correct sound settings and set the headphones accordingly. Let me assure you if you take the time to make sure your game or your music or movie is outputting the right sound you will never be disappointed with the quality of these headphones.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 12, 2011
Verified Purchase
I'd been reading reviews about this headset for a long time, and after going through a very long stream of Logitech USB headsets, I finally decided to pony up for "the best".

The audio quality is excellent. The 7.1 virtual surround sound is surreal, and the sound is better than a lot of moderately expensive true 7.1 speaker systems.

The headphones themselves are extremely soft and comfortable, encompassing my whole ear, instead of winding up hitting the edge of my ears (irritating because I wear piercing studs). The weight is negligible, but the workmanship seems solid. Another thing I noticed is how the wiring is cloth braid covered, so that it seems less likely to curl up around itself, making you have to unwind it every so often.

The problem came up when I tried to talk to my fiancee across town with Ventrilo. The quality he was getting from my microphone was so poor that it hurt his ears. It was full of static, and I was barely comprehensible. Ventrilo worked fine a few minutes earlier with my old headset. I tried playing with the mic sensitivity settings and levels, changing vent settings, windows settings, all to no avail. I do have Win7 64 bit, but I immediately did the firmware update that was recommended to fix microphone issues. Still did not help. We also tried TeamSpeak, Skype, and MSN Messenger voice chat to make sure it wasn't something with the Vent server. His voice came through as though he was right next to me, but no matter what we did on my end, I sounded horrible to him, and others.

The only other problem I have with this product, which I can work around, is that the cord from the USB adapter to the control box is longer than the cord from the control box to the headset itself, which means I have to have the control box sitting in my lap most of the time. I think it would be better if they reversed that, so that I could set the control box on the desk, or on top of the computer, and have the longer cord going to me.

I have sent in an exchange order with Amazon, and I'm hoping that this was just a one off defective item. If it weren't for the problem with the microphone and the tiny inconvenience of the control box (which I'm willing to deal with), this is the best headset I've ever had.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 26, 2009
Verified Purchase
First off this thing is amazing. Just the packaging it comes in is coo. As soon as I opened it I had my laptop on plugged it in and put it on. It worked without having to configure anything. So easy to use, the best sound quality ever, insane comfort, everything about this headset is almost to good to be true. Although my favorite thing about it is the braided wire. The wire does not get all messed up like a tradition wire and you dont get that anoying problem where you have to be constantly finding that sweet spot in the wire to make the sound work (some people should know what i am talking about). This is definently worth it.

Was using windows 7 and works like a charm.
on June 18, 2012
I have read many reviews on many headsets and I have come to some conclusions that I think will help you when you are looking to buy a new headset for gaming. First of all if you have ever used a sound card and a headset that utilizes the soundcard you may be disappointed with this headset. Although USB is convenient in terms of plug-n-play you are going to loose a lot of customization by not having any sort of equalizer, once the Megalodon is detected your interface in the operating system is effectively disabled. You still have control over volume, and volume for specific "channels" like front speakers, center, etc. But that is it, further more you will need to check with the game you are playing if it works with 7.1 and if it doesn't then you have to go back to 2.1, there is no up mixing here.

So if you have been gaming with a sound card and with a headset that has real 5.1 sound then you are going to be disappointed. For example BF3 sounds like you are in an echo chamber, I tried changing the settings in game many times, I tried changing the speaker levels to no evail. The only time it sounded OK was when I went to 2.1. Now if you are like me you will wonder "Why am I paying for 7.1 and only getting 2.1 out of it?" Check the games you play and see how much of them will actually utilize this headset, chances are not many.

If you have the money to pay for this headset I would recommend getting something else, like a decent sound card a set of headphones that have real drivers instead of this virtualization stuff.

If you have only been using stereo headphones, and no sound card you will like these headphones but in my opinion you will be wasting your money. It seems like Razer put too much emphasis on packaging and marketing and not enough in to the technology that is supposed to make these headphones worth the price. These should cost 69.99 in my opinion, and I say that because I have used headphones that cost 80 that were much better.

Good luck and if you buy these make sure you understand the return policy, because I am sure you will need it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2014
So, I'm going to post for the indivduals who are posting about incomatability issues. A. Your headset is not crap because it doesn't work as plug and play on newer equipment. They designed these headphones to work on the equipment that was available at the TIME OF RELEASE. That is KEY. These headphones are how old now? 5-6 years?

These headphones worked wonderfully on my old 2008 Gateway FX laptop. Plug-and-play, not a problem. Didn't matter which USB i plugged into. I have just recently now built a brand new PC with ALL current hardware. This created some incompatibility with the headphones. I had to plug into a USB 2.0 and disable intel xhci (essentially USB 3.0) to get the headphones to work. At the moment, they work flawlessly in this configuration. I will try to do my own research to see if i can isolate the one USB port that I'm using for the headphones away from intel xhci to enable USB 3.0.

This solution I listed above is a typical fix when you get the Error Code 43 message that pops up. I've read some other things about going into the power settings, going into USB, and disabling any suspend modes. I haven't tested this yet because I'm feeling adequate for the time being with the ability to use the headphones.

Eventually, I will need to replace these. I knew this when I bought them. You can't have integrated drivers in the hardware of a device and expect for the device to be supported by future hardware / operating systems. These will eventually phase out as usable at Razers expense since they PRIORITIZED EASE OF USE at the TIME of the release of the product.

All in all, I love these headphones. I haven't tweaked with the microphone enough to figure out how to remove the static, but I never get complaints at how I have it configured anyway.

For all those who may buy these still, I'd advice you to look for a newer product. If you want longevity, get a 3.5mm connector headset. USB headsets inevitably face a lifespan of the manufactures support, which will only last as long as they're produced, and then a little longer.

Hope this review helps some of you who look back!
review image
on November 2, 2010
Verified Purchase
This headset sounds amazing, the spatial awareness is really well done, and music sounds amazing with 2.1 (sounds really messed up with 7.1 but that's to be expected). My only con with this headset is the mic, and was the reason i returned it.

My cheap $20 headset mic sounded worlds better than this one. I heard it may be a driver issue since i have windows 7 64bit but i updated it with numerous drivers out there and still no fix, only lessoned the problem.

There is a great deal of white noise in the background when using this mic. I could hardly hear what it was i was trying to say. When you spend over $100 on a gaming headset, you would think the mic would be quality, well, its not.
The only reason im giving it any stars at all is because its amazingly comfortable and sounds great!

I ended up replacing this headset with the tritton ax pro's, they do not sound quite as nice and are not as comfortable but they spatial awareness on those are a little bit better and oh yea, the mic works.
on September 13, 2010
Verified Purchase
I primarily bought this headset for in-game communication with my friends as we were playing online together. So one of the most important things about this headset to me was the microphone. However, that was worst part of this headset.

I got my new headset and was excited to plug it in and communicate with my friends. However when I logged in, they immediately ask what was wrong with my headset. They said it sounded horrible and to switch back to my old one (a cheap, $20 pair). After configuring many settings, the mic sounded a little bit better, but still bad.

I was forced to return it and different headset. I purchased the Sennheiser PC 350 Collapsible Gaming Headset. It is an excellent headset. The audio and mic quality for it is great. It is also very comfortable.

One great thing about this headset was the sound quality from the ear pieces. Games and music sounded wonderful in 7.1 surround sound. Also, I loved the comfort and quality of the cans. It's too bad the microphone was crap.
on April 17, 2010
Verified Purchase
These look awesome! On top of that, I haven't experienced any of the microphone issues that other users discussed (I also upgraded my firmware right away). I'm using these on a Windows 7 64-bit Intel Dual Core with 4GB of RAM.

Two downers:

1. These things CLAMP down on your head. After an hour of wearing them I'll usually begin to develop a headache. The pressure the Megalodons exert is a serious problem. I've found that I've begun to really hate putting these things on--and for the price, that's a very bad thing.

After VERY carefully bending the rails to a straighter position, it seems to have alleviated a big part of the problem, however they still apply a lot of pressure to the head.

2. The sound isn't what I expected. Sure, the games sound really great, but it's software-driven 3D sound, so I'm not really feeling the whole "Oh crap, this thing's behind me" experience. Don't get me wrong, they sound nice, but I don't see hear the experience that people are claiming exist on these headphones. I play Bad Company 2 and I can tell where someone's around me, but they really feel like 2D headphones (Yes, I've turned Surround on).
on April 10, 2014
Verified Purchase
This headset is horrible. It keeps crashing, and i have to keep unplugging it to reset. Not impressed at all. Not worth the money.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations