Razer Orochi Elite Mobile Gaming Mouse
Price:$125.00 + $3.37shipping

on October 16, 2009
I purchased this mouse after having lag issues with my Microsoft Mobile Memory Mouse over bluetooth. The MS mouse would lag behind my movements. Really bad when using my bluetooth headset on Skype or MS communicator. The Orochi totally fixed that issue for me! :) I recently bought a Razer Naga and was convinced of the quality of their mice. This is definitely a Razer mouse. Things you expect like a braided cable for wired mode, solid construction and the soft matte finish on the top with glossy sides are all there.

In thinking of a good way to review this mouse I realized a pattern. What I thought was my mobile mouse wish-list turned out to not be quite what I really wanted. The design of the Orochi had the features I didn't know I wanted.

It is a little larger than my previous mobile mouse, BUT it sits better in the hand and is more comfortable in long term use.
It isn't specifically ergonomically designed for right hand use, BUT the excellent ambidextrous design ends up feeling like it was custom designed for whatever hand you use.
It isn't rechargeable, BUT the AA batteries last longer.
The battery compartment is under the top buttons and not on the bottom, BUT it attaches via 3 magnets and is much easier to open/close.
Sure LEDs eat battery power, BUT they come on only when you move the mouse and go off when you stop (this is really fun to watch haha!) - note: you can also disable them for maximum battery life

There are a few key things to know when choosing this mouse

1) When not in wired mode the polling rate and dpi can not go as high. This is due to the bluetooth protocol design and not Razer's. They could have used a custom dongle like on the Mamba, but that would mean something else to carry and use to have wireless connectivity. Bluetooth was a good tradeoff. If you want ultimate performance, plug in the cable. You've got it in your included carrying case right?

2) The mouse's settings are stored on the mouse itself (very cool). If you want to reprogram them you have to plug in the cable. Again a tradeoff for bluetooth. Not bad, just something to be aware of. You can have 5 application profiles which change according to the game/app in use (or manually).

3) There are two buttons on each side. The ones on the opposite side from your thumb are not so easy to reach in the heat of action. This however allows for the ambidextrous design. By default these step through your pre-defined dpi sensitivity stages and are well designed to stay that way or use for actions you don't need as frequently.

I'm grasping to think of any real "con" against this mouse. If I had to say two things I would like changed it would be: Make it so the wheel can both ratchet and free-scroll (I got used to free scrolling when not gaming) and have the side buttons not recess quite so far as the bottom edge of the top matte part is kind of sharp.

If you are looking for a portable sized gaming mouse or have a Razer on your desktop already and want to take the experience with you pick one up!

Small update:
I just got my Kabuto mouse surface and I noticed that the on/off switch on the bottom of the mouse is a bit loose in the on position. This won't make it accidentally turn off, but it does make it jostle around a little on a surface that isn't perfectly flat (the kabuto is a bit bumpy from being rolled up in the package). This doesn't affect the mouse use or performance at all, just makes a little rattling noise when mousing.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 20, 2010
I've purchased this mouse to use with my MacBook Pro (LEOPARD and "Boot Camp" WINXP). Since Razer Orochi was advertised as working seamlessly with both Mac and Windows, it seemed like the perfect solution for my needs. After 2 weeks of daily use, I have yet to find a flaw on this mouse. It delivered on all it's promises. Here's a breakdown of my thoughts on it:

01 - AESTHETICS AND MISC
The sleek online pictures at Razer site don't make justice to this mouse. It looks much better in real-life! Couple it with Razer Kabuto Mobile Mouse Mat (Black) and your desk will never look the same. The battery top lid is magnetically attached and the USB "Wired Mode" cable is long enough to comfortably circle around my MBP. In terms of ergonomics, Orochi feels great on my big hands. I've found it very comfortable to use with both "fingertip" and "palm" grips.

02 - FIRMWARE AND DRIVERS
Let me preface this by saying that "out of the box", with ZERO drivers installed, all 7 buttons worked flawlessly with WINXP. Under LEOPARD, only the "forward and backward" left side buttons didn't work. It's worth underlining that the "Sensitivity Stage" right side buttons worked on both OSs. This means that you can cycle through the 5 preset "Sensitivity Stages" without having to install a single driver! That said, in order to tap into Orochi's full potential, it's imperative to install the latest firmware and drivers. Start by getting the latest v1.06 firmware updater (22/02/2010) from Razer's site (notice you'll need to run this under Windows). Next download and install the latest PC (v1.02, 22/10/2009) and MAC (v2.00, 03/05/2010) drivers. Besides custom macro creation, these drivers also enable full customization of every single button on the Orochi. Starting at v2.00, the MAC driver acquired the same "full features support" one finds in it's PC counterpart. Nonetheless, for reasons I'll explain below, you should avoid using the "Razer Orochi" MAC "Preference Pane".

03 - CONFIGURATION AND DISABLING ACCELERATION
Orochi's factory "buttons layout scheme" fitted my needs like a glove. I found no need to tinker with it, although the "Scroll Wheel button" could probably be put to better use. It's "Universal Scrolling" default assignment is uselessly redundant. It's not hard to envision several more productive assignments for it (copy/paste, open/close tab, etc). The only 2 settings I ended up by changing were "Polling Rate: 1000 Hz (default 500 Hz)" and "Lightning->Scroll Wheel: ON (default OFF)". I opted not to delve into the "Profiles" and "Macros" sections, even though I'll probably revisit them in a near future. The possibility of creating "per application profile" and "custom macros" are 2 of the most powerful features of this mouse. A shrewd implementation of both will rise your productivity to unprecedented heights.
In order to take full advantage of Orochi's high-precision "4000DPI 3G Laser Sensor" one must disable mouse acceleration. This allows Orochi to handle all the gliding and pointing bits natively. Assuming the "Enable Acceleration" option on "Razer Orochi Configurator" is left unchecked, there's still the OS mouse acceleration layer to deal with. On the WINXP side, one simply needs to uncheck "Enhance pointer precision" to permanently disable mouse acceleration. Unfortunately things aren't as merry on LEOPARD's side. After hours of research, the solution was finally found in the "Tired of Mac OS X's mouse acceleration?" thread at "Armagetron Forums". In order to roughly homogenize the tracking speed on both OSs, I also set the respective "speed knobs" to 50%. Here are the details for this:

WINXP
- Disable Acceleration: Control Panel->Mouse Properties->Pointer Options->Motion-> Enhance pointer precision: OFF
- Tracking speed at 50%: Control Panel->Mouse Properties->Pointer Options->Motion->Select a pointer speed: 6th notch from "Slow" (11 total).

LEOPARD
- Disable Acceleration: Check out the the "Tired of Mac OS X's mouse acceleration?" thread at "Armagetron Forums".
- Tracking speed at 50%: System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse->Mouse->Tracking Speed: 5th notch from "Slow" (10 total).

Due to the different "knob sensitivities" of WINXP and LEOPARD, you won't get the same pixel-exact tracking speed on both OSs. Despite that, the "knob at 50%" strategy will get you pretty close. In my personal experience I've found the mouse response to be indistinguishable across WINXP and LEOPARD.

04 - IN-GAME EXPERIENCE
Once all configurations were in place, I immediately jumped to a series of thorough in-game testing with "Quake 3" and "Unreal Tournament 2004". Diligently compared "Wired" and "Wireless mode". The former had a noticeable precision advantage. Nonetheless, "Sensitivities Stages" were the clear show-stopper! Switching to the lowest "500 DPI stage" markedly increased my aim in sniper mode. Never before did I got so many "headshots" in a row! Orochi is a literal "killer mouse"! Conversely, the higher sensitivities allowed for lightning fast responses in the heat of "close proximity" battle. This mouse really gives you that extra edge every gamer is looking for.
The "off the chart" smoothness, responsiveness and accuracy observed in-game was also noticeable during day-to-day usage. It suddenly became clear why some many designers/photographers go with Orochi.
Many reviewers complained about the "sleep in 2sec + jerking" issue. You'll only find it if you actively look for it. It's simply to small of a jerk to be noticed. It will disappear the moment you stop thinking about it. This holds true for gaming and day-to-day usage.

05 - STAY AWAY FROM "RAZER OROCHI" PREFERENCE PANE
I've unearthed an uncanny behavior when accessing LEOPARD's "Razer Orochi" preference pane. The mere act of opening it caused the tracking speed to decrease dramatically! In fact, even escalating all the way up to 4000 DPI, the mouse still moved like it was at 1500 DPI! Thankfully, as long as you have access to a WINXP machine, there's a pretty straightforward way to tackle this: simply make sure to always use WINXP driver to configure Orochi. Since the "Synapse On-Board memory" allows one to port settings across OSs, there's really no reason to access LEOPARD's driver at all!

06 - LOOSE NOTES
-> Configuration of the Razer Orochi can only be performed in "Wired Mode".
-> Both WINXP and LEOPARD drivers are capable of writing to Orochi's "Synapse On-Board memory".
-> The "Sensitivity Stages" work flawlessly on both WINXP and LEOPARD. It's worth to underline the OSD only appears in "Wired Mode".
-> In "Wireless Mode (bluetooth)": Pooling rate drops to 125ms (125Hz), although you can still cycle through the different "Sensitivity Stages", the OSD will no longer appear.
-> Clean the laser lens below the Razer Orochi once a month (use soft cloth or cotton swab).

CONCLUSION
Razer Orochi is simply the best bluetooth "high-precision mouse" out there. If you're are a serious gamer/designer it's a must. Totally worth the price. 5 stars all the way!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 2, 2012
Like the title says, the bad reviews must be with old firmware installed (Firmware is the hardware's internal drivers). I say this because there is hardly anything bad to say about this product. I'll give you a quick review of each area I think is important regarding this mouse.

Size:
There seems to be a lot of back and forth about the size. This is a travel mouse, its meant to be compact, and it is, however not to a point where your hand feels cramped after use. There is a lot of talk about the claw grip going around. That sounds painful etc. Truth is unless you use a trackball you are probably more of claw gripper than you realize. Most people without thinking about it drive the mouse with their thumb and little finger, not their palm. In other words, in my opinion, unless you know you're a palm-driver this mouse will be comfortable for you. Its small enough in the included travel bag to fit my backpacks side pocket, without having to shoe horn it in. To sum up the size it fits in your palm, travels well but is big enough to feel comfortable for everyday use.

Sensitivity:
Out of the box the Orochi has its right side buttons defaulted to changing the DPI (Dots per Inch) on the fly. This means without having to dig in any settings menus or changing profiles you can make the mouse go from being so sensitive it will go from the edge of one monitor the edge of another monitor with quite literally the flex of finger, then click the decrease button a few times creating a mouse that requires the whole mouse pad to move around the screen. This is great for everyday use, or for gaming I find my self using it often. For example in First Person Shooters different weapons and situations call for different levels of sensitivity, i.e. Sniper Rifle vs Anti Tank Weapon.

Corded vs Bluetooth:
This mouse has two ways to connect to your computer. The first way is with the braided cable that was included. This cord seems to be VERY sturdy, and durable yet portable and light weight with plenty of length for every day use. The second is through Bluetooth. It DOES NOT use a USB dongle for the wireless. Ensure you have Bluetooth. I like this feature as it doesn't use up a USB port in cordless mode.

There seems to be a lot of complaints about the wake up time with the mouse in Bluetooth mode. Sounds like a unmerited bandwagon complaint. There is NO, I repeat NO lag when the mouse goes to sleep. It wakes up instantly. When you are in the corded mode you get the maximum DPI available of 4000DPI(still adjustable with the side button). Wireless is Maximum 2000DPI (still adjustable. I just bought this mouse so perhaps the old firmware was slow at waking up, but the one I just received is waking up INSTANTLY!! As for pairing, its very easy. Both modes work great, and the cord is plenty long enough. The mouse does use 2 AAs vs a rechargeable battery. This is fine with me since over time internal batteries wear out. I can't give an accurate review on the battery life, however the batteries that came with it from the factory are still going strong, albeit fairly low amount of usage in Bluetooth mode. I assume with the mouse quickly sleeping and waking as necessary they will last quite a while.

Accessories:
-Braided USB Cord with end cap, and gold plated connectors. This cord looks solid, yet light weight. The only gripe, and its the nature of the strength enhancing braid, is that occasionally it gets an ever so slight kink in the cord. Emphasize SLIGHT kink, only enough to disturb my "OCD". At any rate it fits into the 2 compartment travel case.

-Travel case. The travel case is made well out of neoprene and a sturdy zipper. It has a divided inside allowing the cord to be wrapped up and placed inside will keeping it separate from the mouse. This is nice for when I remove the mouse and the cord doesn't come tumbling out with it. Once enclosed the cord and mouse fits easily into the side pocket of my laptop back pack. Essentially its smaller than size of my closed fist. Also I would like to add the bag is snug, but not enough where you feel you like its over compressing the mouse.

In summary: This mouse is small and compact, yet big and comfortable enough to still be a great everyday mouse. It works perfect in both Bluetooth and Corded modes as well (with NO LAG on wake up). 5 stars and well deserved.
on December 11, 2009
I purchase this mouse for my Macbook Pro (unibody).

Having tried several mice (including Apples' Magic Mouse) I can say the Razer Orochi is simply an amazing mouse.

It may be a bit small for some, but as a notebook mouse, it's perfect. The bluetooth connectivity is so smooth and precise, I have yet found the need to use the cable connection.

It's designed almost perfect. The batteries give it a perfect weight. And using it for design (I'm a heavy photoshop user) it's just pixel perfect.

The Bad: Poor Mac Drivers. The mouse werks perfect, with the exception of the additional buttons. I hope Razer will build on the mac support. Oh yeah and I could of done without the gratuitous packaging.

But other than that it's truely the best mouse I have used. Dare I say I may even replace my intel lazer mouse at home with it.

I hope this helps.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 24, 2012
I purchased this product thinking I would like to go bluetooth wireless on my laptop. The mouse performed fine for a few days. When I tried to change some of the button functions, I lost the ability to left click, both with the mouse and touch pad. I finally uninstalled and started over. After some hours, I was able to use the mouse again. However, now the cursor drifts out of position even when the mouse is not moving. This makes it almost impossible to left click or double click on anything. I tried contacting Razer support. It took them 2 days to reply. They told me to update the firmware, which I did. That did not help the drifting cursor problem. So I wrote back. A week later, I still have not heard from them, so I am returning the mouse to Amazon before my return period expires. Too bad, wireless was nice.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2012
The Orochi I got behaved weirdly. I used it wirelessly & for 20-30 minutes it worked fine. Then it became unresponsive - no correlation between mouse movement and cursor/arrow movement. I thought the batteries had died a very premature death, but the battery checker said they were brand new. Reinstalling them did get the Orochi working again. This wasn't a sleeping mouse waking up problem; move the mouse in big circles & the cursor moved a little, not the full screen circles I would expect & it didn't seem very related to the mouse motion. Several reviewers have commented that the Bluetooth powersaving can be defeated by setting the computer power plan (scheme) to disable bluetooth powersavings. Windows 7 High Performance power scheme - I couldn't find bluetooth under power options - advanced settings. I did find Sleep after & hibernate after, both Never & USB selective suspend setting - Disabled.

I bought it because I got tired of the cable on my DeathAdder running into things. The Orochi is tiny & if it doesn't fit one's hand, nothing else really matters. I continue to be amazed that none of the various mice specification say anything about their size, so here are the results of my quest to find out how big mice are:

Logitech V220 - 8.8 cm long
Logitech V320 - 9.8 cm
Logitech V450 - 10.5 cm
Logitech L6, L7, L8, MX400, & MX Revolution - 12.3 cm
Logitech LX7 - 12.0 cm x 5cm x 2.5cm (long x wide x high)
Logitech MX518-12.5 cm
Logitech MX620 - 12.8 cm
Logitech G5 - 12.5 cm
Logitech G9 - 10.5 cm
Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse - 11.2 cm x 5.1 cm x 4.2 cm
Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 - 12.4 cm x 6.7 cm x 4.2 cm
Razer DeathAdder - 12.6 cm x 6.9 cm x 4.5 cm
Razer Orochi - 9.5 cm x 6.2 cm x 3.4 cm

5/26/2014 I've recently acquired a taste for Bluetooth mice & their longer range. Here are the sizes of four I've bought

Toshiba PA3847U-1ETB - 9.8 cm x 6.1 cm x 3.6 cm small, but works great!
Samsung AA-SM7PWBB/US - 10.1 cm x 6.5 cm x 3.4 cm also small & works great!
HP H3T51AA - 10.7 cm x 6.7 cm x 3.7 cm a little bigger & works great!
Razer Pro|Click Mobile - 9.8 cm x 5.9 cm x 3.8 cm small & limited range.

Shape matters a lot, but it's difficult to quantify...
on March 8, 2010
This is probably the best bluetooth mouse on the market except for one fatal flaw. After just 2 or 3 seconds of inactivity, the mouse goes to sleep. When you try to move the mouse again, there is a slight delay for the bluetooth connection to be reestablished. There is no excuse for this setting to not be user changesble! I would much rather the sleep delay time to be around a minute and loose some battery life than to constantly be annoyed by a hesitant cursor every time I stop to read something on the internet. They could probably easily fix this with a driver update, but it hasn't happened yet. If you go to Razer's website and go to the Knowledge Database for the Orochi, three of the four problems are this delay. So they know its a problem but haven't fixed it. Their solution is to use it in wired mode. HELLO!! I bought a very expensive WIRELESS mouse. Anywho, I have returned this mouse. I would repurchase it if they fix the delay problem.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2010
I've heard over and over again that Razer is the company to go to for gaming mice. Their stringent standards and quality control are legend, so I thought I would give them a try. What I got was a piece of junk. The software is hideous and unusable. I tried to set the sensitivity of the mouse and the x and y cursors would just disappear. It takes multiple attempts for settings changes to take effect. I had to try 8 times to get the mouse wheal to light up before it finally came on. The biggest problem with this mouse is the wireless functionality. After three seconds it goes into sleep mode and upon awakening the cursor jumps all over. It is completely unusable. Razer has addressed this issue with the least amount of effort possible. They basically say "don't use it wirelessly". What kind of support is that? I've got a better one Razer, I won't use it at all. This is going back right now. Don't buy this thing. There are better cheaper options from companies that know you don't save battery life by making the product unusable, you just use rechargeable batteries.
on December 16, 2009
This mouse has so much potential, but Razer has been overzealous with power management, significantly decreasing performance.

As another poster noted, leaving the mouse still for only 2-3 seconds will cause the mouse to micro-sleep. If you're in a game and you leave the mouse still for a bit to look at something, it will go into this micro-sleep state. When you move the mouse, it'll jump about an inch on your screen -- no smooth tracking at all. This behavior is obviously flawed. If Razer is so concerned about battery life, they should allow users to set how long it takes to sleep, but under no circumstances should the default be so quick. Especially for a gaming mouse!

Another issue is that, despite the mouse being ostensibly both a Bluetooth mouse and a Mac mouse, Bluetooth support on the Mac is distastefully subpar. For one thing, as other reviewers have mentioned, configuration doesn't apply to Bluetooth mode for anything meaningful - tracking speed, acceleration, etc. are all inapplicable. Not just that you can't set them from Bluetooth mode (oh no, that's a separate issue entirely) -- the settings you set in wired mode don't even apply! You have to use the OS X Mouse configuration panel.

Worse yet is what I call "drunken mouse syndrome." Sometimes, after some period of inactivity, the mouse will inexplicably start to lag and jerk. Specifically, the mouse-cursor motion is about 0.5-1.0 seconds behind the physical mouse motion, and as it's tracking it will jerk along its path. A couple seconds of this stumbling along and the drivers swooshing to catch up with the physical mouse is enough to make you want to throw up. Luckily, turning the mouse off and on again fixes it temporarily, as does putting the computer to sleep and waking it back up by clicking the mouse.

Frankly, for anyone who wants a gaming mouse or a Mac bluetooth mouse, this mouse is a bad choice, especially for the price. $70 is way too much to pay for something that's broken.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 16, 2011
Despite the crappy things I had been reading about this mouse in the reviews regarding its use for Mac, I decided to take the leap of faith since I saw that Razer had made a new update for the Razer Orochi mouse drivers quite recently. I hoped that the new update would have fixed the issues mentioned by the other reviewers, and to my relief, they were. I use both Mac and Windows on my Macbook Pro, and tried out this mouse on both. It works great on both, and the software works great on both as well. I have had no trouble with the lag that some people talked about when you leave it unmoved for a certain time. It turns on instantaneously.
You can also adjust the sensitivity of the mouse using the software available. Those of you who use mac will also note that Mac has its own mouse sensitivity preference tab which you can use to adjust the sensitivity there too. There are also options that allow you to adjust the mouse's sensitivity on the x and/or y axis differently, for those hardcore gamers that may need that.
I love using the bluetooth to use the mouse, and only use the wires to play online games such as LoL where it is necessary to have a stable connection, and I love that I can do that. There are times when I don't want to be using the wires, and times where I do, and with this mouse, I can do both!
Also, since there are 4 buttons on the mouse, you can just be simple like me and use it as the normal back and forward buttons, and also be able to adjust the sensitivity with it, or for you hardcore gamers you can use it to create Macros. The macros get really specific too~
All in all, this is an awesome mouse. Might I also add that the wire looks freakishly awesome? It's not the typical plastic wire that you see on most mice, but rather a fiber thing. Love the mouses's design as well.
Great Great Great Mouse, and I'm glad I took the chance with it, because it's totally worth it.

PS. as I said before, they changed the Mac driver, so don't worry about the other reviews that claim it's bad on Mac
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations