The manufacturer commented on the review below
4.0 out of 5 stars Great and powerful tablet...with a few quirks
This is what I have been waiting for! I am a casual gamer that needs to have full work functionality on the go.
Published 20 months ago by CS Kneeland

3.0 out of 5 stars It is more a laptop replacement than a tablet.
You may understand my review when you read about what I had before (skip 3 paragraphs to my review). I did not get the game pad controller piece.

Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
4.0 out of 5 stars Great and powerful tablet...with a few quirks, April 11, 2013
My office provided a new iPad last summer, and it took over my use of a laptop for email and web browsing, but any office related work did not go well, especially MS Office docs...you can't replace a Windows based PC yet when it is the basis for your office infrastructure.
The Razer Edge Pro is light, powerful, and easy to use. So far, all the software I have installed (with a usb dvd drive) has worked as expected. I have already nearly filled the SSD with some games...that will be a balancing act.

The few quirks I have had in the last few days of ownership (3 since arrival) have been mainly things that are a little better on the iPad. The display is not as sharp or crisp, but that is understood. The odd thing is the screen sensitivity is just a little off at times...just a gentle tap does the trick most of the time, but for some reason it is extra sensitive and the apps overreact at times...minor though. Also, when I jacked into my Sony 1080p TV, the output is only 720p, but it seems a bit fuzzy...I just ran some updates (53 were available already) and have yet to try it again. The documents pre purchase I though had stated 1080p output. The Win 8 tiles and where to find everything has been an unwelcome learning curve, but it will take some time (not quite as intuitive as the iPad).

So far I get about 4 hours of average use from a charge.
Just like my old laptop, when you plan to game, plug it in.
I did get the docking station...that is a must for versatility and expanded functionality.

So compared to a MS Surface pro, you get discrete graphics and more CPU power...yeah, a little steep for the extra cost but in theory, this is will replace my laptop that had an i7 gen2 CPU, 8gb ram, 500gb+6gbSSD drive, 2gb 550 gpu, etc., that ran me almost the same cost 2 years ago. The advantage is the portability and versatility; I reduce my messenger bag's weight by 6 or more pounds...that is huge for a guy with a bad back and is always on the go. Plus I could not find a ultrabook with the same gpu power as the Edge Pro.

So if you can swing the cost and take the time to figure where some things have moved in windows 8, get one if you want the ultimate road warrior machine. So far I don't see many limitations for my needs...

After a few months, I will chime back in with an update...

***Update: Oct. 30, 2013***
I still like the Razer Edge.
Super versatile, portable, and powerful for most tasks I throw at it.
I ran out of room on the 128 GB SSD right away after installing WoW, CoD MW3, and some other software.
So, I have a USB 3.0 1TB portable drive as an add on drive connected to the Razer Docking station.
Because of the battery drain playing games anyway, it works.
I also jack into another monitor to increase the gaming experience, which needs the dock too.

I got a Logitech kb and mouse that share the same transceiver when the touch screen is cumbersome like for spreadsheets, CAD work, etc.

The main gripe or issue I have had is finding well made case/stand.
I bought a rocket fish case, and it is weak (see my review)...I have another on order with a built in kb, but the fit is still a concern.
The best solution would be the Razer Edge Keyboard, but Q3 HAS PASSED AND IT IS NOT AVAILABLE YET (nudge, nudge, Razer!).

But no issues with the tablet related to Razer...only Windows 8.
Once and a while I need to reboot after several 'sleeps' because the touch screen accuracy is off a bit.
Reboot takes 20 seconds, so not too bad overall...

Very nice product; just about covers all my PC needs.
-CSK

************ Update May 2014 *************
Still working well.
Sent in for repairs due to screen issues with touch on top of screen...replaced without issue and works like new.
Since my 1 year warranty is up, I upped the mini SSD to 512gb...now no worries about space and game play has improved (no more usb3 drive).
Also replaced the wifi for an 802.11ac card...better range and no more dropped wifi connections.

Will run Battlefield 4 at about 30fps...not the best, but playable at 1080p via the hdmi with the docking station.

I have come around on Windows 8.1. It is very nice with a tablet.
Used on a laptop without touch and is more annoying :(

Too bad the nVidia 640LE is the weak point for gaming performance, otherwise has handled anything I have thrown at it with ease.

I assume 2015 may yield a NEW edge...just a guess.
Laptops are not quite as flexible and no other tablet can play the games I like to.
Otherwise for the versatility and power/capability, the Razer Edge Pro is hard to beat!
Just need to take that in stride with the cost.
-chris

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Apr 12, 2013 11:28:25 AM PDT
Hi CS,

Very glad that you're enjoying the Edge! Luckily, the one issue you had has a simple solution: In order to get 1080p out using the Edge, there are two ways:

1) Choose the "Extended Display" mode so that the Edge (1366x768) and the TV (1920x1080) are in their respective native resolutions.
2) Choose "Single Display" mode so that the only screen being used is the TV, which will be at full 1080p.

The reason you were stuck in 720p was due to that fact that you were in "Mirror" mode, which forces both displays to be at the lowest common denominator.

As for the other comments/questions:

- The power adapter is designed to be compact and is definitely not a "brick"
- The battery attachment is only for the gamepad controller and the future keyboard dock.
- Yes, you can use the docking station and use the Edge as the primary display.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Razer Customer Satisfaction

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, a Gamers Dream!!!!! Blew me away!!!!, July 11, 2013
Let me start by saying that I am an older gamer...at 40 years old I can still remember the days when I skipped college classes to install my first CD Rom Drive into my tower computer....

When I saw that Razer was coming out with the edge, I wasn't sure how it would really work. I already own three high end gaming laptops, Alienware, MSI, and Samsung. All are fast but each have had their own issues.

When I booted this up, installed steam and started playing Far Cry 3 (from my last save point) I almost fell over. It was INCREDIBLE!!!! I AM NOT KIDDING AND ONLY TRUE GAMERS WHO HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A LONG TIME KNOW THE FEELING I AM TALKING ABOUT. A world of true PC virtual/mobile game play....

I was stuck at an airport recently, and instead of being bored or playing angry birds on my Ipad, I played 6 hours of Assassin's Creed 3, Far Cry 3, and Borderlands 2! I played simply with the Edge connected to my Verizon Wifi enabled phone....

Honestly, if you are a skeptic or on the fence, this is A MUST BUY FOR AN AVID GAMER if you can afford it....

Thanks RAZER!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars very good system, June 24, 2013
This review is from: Razer Edge 64GB Tablet (Personal Computers)
Don't be put off by the 64GB model. If you are open to tinkering with it you can upgrade the hard drive space very easily. Use a torx 6 screw driver to remove the two screws at the bottom and replace the 64GB mSata drive with a larger capacity one, eg a crucial 256GB one is about $190 I believe. You can then buy a mSata to usb adapter and some cloning software to clone the drive to a regular drive then do the same to the new mSata drive. Put the new drive in the machine and it automatically repairs it so it boots okay and you are good to go. You can also ask Razer for a recovery USB drive and they will send you one.
You can also increase one of the 2GB sticks of ram to.

I take my hat off to Razer for allowing access to these parts so it is an enthusiast class machine.

The device boots in like 8 seconds and resumes from sleep in under 3. The windows experience index gives gaming graphics a score of 6.6 , cpu 6.9 and ram 5.9 (it has a CAS latency of 11).

The only problem I have had is a Windows 8 one with a number of Windows Live games not working since they missed a certain xlive.dll. This was remedied by downloading the latest Windows Live software for Windows 8. Rader should really have included this in the system to make it as seamless as possible.

I have the power plan set to power saver with screen brightness at about 25% when on battery and I
estimate I get around 5 hours of juice which is not bad. For car journeys I bought a power inverter for $30 so I can plug it in.

The controller is very expensive for what it is and I don't think it is essential to have, although it is comfortable to hold. The power plug is awkwardly placed at the bottom so when it is resting on your legs it may get dislodged. The controls work fine and are responsive and it does protect you from the heat produced by the device when gaming.
Fan noise is low- can't hear it at idle and when gaming cannot hear it over the speakers.

The system is snappy , autorotate is quick and the on screen keyboard is good.
I do have a small Bluetooth mouse/keyboard combo which is useful if you need to do an ALt/Ctrl/delete. The device does have a dedicated button to activate the keyboard but it doesn't work in a game.

Gaming so far has been smooth on things set on Medium and 1366 x 768 resolution and sound volume is adequate for something this size, certainly enough to fill a small room if watching a movie.
The display is crisp and has good viewing angles, even at the desktop it is easy to navigate using touch.

So save yourself $200 and a long wait, get the 64GB version and do an upgrade yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars It is more a laptop replacement than a tablet., April 16, 2013
Amazon Customer (New Hyde Park, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razer Edge 64GB Tablet (Personal Computers)

I have a 15' Dell Inspiron (older i7 and Nvidia 540M)with a heavy power brick. I play Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 on it and I have no problem when I connected to a power outlet. I use it all over the house and travel a few times a year. Tablet are slowly taking over so I wanted one too. To me, battery life for tablets should be long and the weight should be low. Almost the complete opposite of the Dell Inspiron because that is a desktop replacement. I didn't want to go with an Ipad or Android because I'm a Windows guy but many people said, "get a bluetooth keyboard, and tablets are laptop replacements." So that is what I was looking for, a laptop replacement. The Razer Edge Pro wasn't available yet so I tested out a few different devices. A Lenovo Thinkpad Twist. A pretty good battery, an i5 with an Intel HD 4000 could play Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 at 5-10 frames a second. Some would say it is playable but not me. I returned it wanting more but nothing with something better than an Intel HD 4000. I took a step back and "well, tablets are suppose to be companion devices so let get something tiny."

I found the Asus Vivotab Smart. It only had a dual core Atom so my mind set was "it can probably play Youtube at 720p but not much more." With my expectations low I was completely blown away with how often I would use it. 8 hours of battery life and a GPS chip made me fall in love with it. This was great, I used the Vivotab for my email, IM, Facebook, Netflix, traveling GPS. To me, it was a great tablet. I did everything I wanted but play Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 (or serious gaming). Even though I was happy, I was still looking for a laptop replacement.

One day, my girlfriend took a funny picture of me playing Starcraft 2 on my desktop, watching a live feed of a Starcraft 2 tournament on my laptop and reading some stuff at the Starcraft 2 forums on my tablet. She called me a little obsessive with Starcraft. I didn't deny it but it made me think about how I can improve my desktop, laptop, and tablet set up and that is when I found the Razer Edge Pro. Nvidia 640M LE, i7, 128SSD, and 8GB of RAM. Even before I got it, I knew performance wise, it is better than my laptop. It is everything I wanted.

The fantasy bubble pop the day I got it. Because Razer labels it as a tablet made for gamers, I'm going to mainly compare it to the Vivotab Smart with trade offs/pros+cons.
It is almost 3 times as thick and twice as heavy - it has a powerful video card and processor.
No GPS, NFC, or rear camera - no one really uses those things and leaving them out makes the Razer Edge Pro more affordable.
battery life based on my usage: close to 3 hours on the Razer Edge Pro(under 2 hours playing Starcraft 2) compared to close 7 hours on the Vivotab
Razer Edge Pro boots up in under 11 seconds. If you didn't have to HOLD the power button down for 2 seconds, it would be even quicker.
Native screen resolution is 1366*768 but you can output it to a monitor/HDTV and get a resolution of 1920*1080
No HDMI output on the unit itself but there is a proprietary port for an optional dock that will let you output it.
1 full USB port, volume rocker, virtual keyboard button, and screen rotation lock on the chassis.
Jack of all Trades device: Tablet Mode, Mobile Console Mode and Home Console Mode, plus a keyboard mode in the future.
E-reader ability it there but with the battery life being short, heavy weight and bulky design, consider it an added bonus and not a main staple.
Grab and go potential is there. I started this review in desktop mode at home but finished it in tablet mode at work.

If I was just comparing this to a laptop, the Razer Edge Pro all the way, 5 out of 5. If the keyboard dock as available I'd be singing the praises of such of an incredible machine. I carry the power supply with me in my jacket pocket so it is not a heavy brick like laptops. The combination of the Razer Edge Pro, power supply and future keyboard dock could be easier to take around than many laptops (possible even some ultrabooks).

If I didn't have the Vivotab before the Razer Edge Pro, I would probably rate this higher. The Vivotab really showed me the strengths of Windows 8 as tablet. I believe Razer Edge Pro is promoted as a gaming tablet but the majority of PC games require a keyboard and mouse or gamepad so I have to say, this would be the perfect laptop replacement and when the keyboard dock becomes available. When I do get the keyboard attachment, I believe I will change my rating and say that statement loud and clear - "I have found my perfect laptop replacement!" When I dock this and use a keyboard and mouse, I love it. Performance is great. Playing Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, really good! It honestly makes me very angry that the keyboard attachment is not available for a few more months. Truthfully speaking, I am not that happy with it as a tablet. 3 out of 5 for just tablet mode only. If you are looking for a companion device, don't get this. This is more meant to be a main device or replacement computer of sorts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dead Pixel on arrival, May 25, 2013
Well, the razer edge work great and is super powerful (for its size). However the screen is a major problem, it have a dead pixel right at the centre of the screen. Contact Razer support about it and they said

"However, a few abnormalities among the millions of sub pixels are quite possible and a certain number of abnormalities on your screen would be considered acceptable. This consideration of a certain number of abnormalities on a IPS panel applies to all manufacturers, not just Razer."

seriously, dead pixel on this awesome product is just a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Razer Edge Pro 256GB Tablet, May 15, 2014
First of all I would like to say Amazon you guy's rock!!! Thank You and I will explain why in a bit ok so I ordered one of these Razer Edge Pro gaming tablets I've been following this since it was called project fiona after watching tons of YouTube unboxing videos to see how the tablet looked. I gotta admit it was pretty expensive when first released after amazon dropped the price I ordered one and when I received it it was working but it had a defect with charging the internal battery anyway amazon with there amazing super 5 star ***** customer service quickly send me a replacement unit and I returned the defective unit back to them. Now for the gaming tablet this device is awesome I installed Thief 2014 since I am a thief fan of all the other thief games anyway I ran the game I couldn't believe I was playing a pc game on the go and on the bus I also have the gamepad and extended battery and docking station I was on my way to upstate albany it ran the game and the performance was excellent on medium settings and I played for about 2 hrs before I had to plug it in and charge it up and I've also installed other pc games on it like trine and Ghostbusters the video game I gotta say I love this device amazing tablet it's true what other people said about the razer edge accessories it is becoming harder to find and more expensive has the tablet is no longer being sold anymore by Razer they did have very high demands on pre orders which were sold out.

Pros: of the device
Very fast ssd hard drive.
Excellent volume on both speakers very loud better then most laptop speakers.
Screen is very vivid on games nice ips screen.
Battery last long for regular tablet use.
Touch screen works the way it should.

Cons: of the device
it's a little thick on the tablet side and may be a little heavy compared to an ipad for regular tablet use.
but that is to be expected due to the power this tablet has. No other tablet comes even close to this power horse.
no sd card slot.
no ethernet port
no hdmi port or vga port.
have to use the docking station to get hdmi output.
does not come with a tablet stand have to use docking station to stand the tablet up but you can use a universal tablet stand it will do the job just fine.
does get a little heavy with the extra accessories with the gamepad along with external battery. doesn't really bother me at all anymore I've gotten use to it now.

Overall this tablet rocks I am blown away that I can carry this with me rather then trying to carry a very heavy laptop with all the accessories and I can play my games on the subway going to my job or on the bus Razer really did an excellent job with the gaming tablet it's a shame they no longer sell it. I really believe other gamers would enjoy it. RAZER if your reading my review I can't wait to see the next gaming tablet you guy's make once again I definitely recommend this gaming tablet to any gamer since I am a gamer myself. I know what most people will say this tablet is very expensive I can buy a nice gaming laptop for cheap that maybe the case but the purpose of the gaming tablet is for someone who already has a nice laptop but also want a unique device that can play pc games where ever they go I find this tablet easier to setup vs using a laptop. For anyone out there that would like to get the gaming tablet if you can get one I recommend not letting it slip by you it is definitely worth it I am very happy with my gaming tablet. To: Amazon Thank You again for the amazing customer service :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Do not upgrade to Windows 8.1, not for the weak of heart., December 6, 2013
I edited this on 04-25-2014. It really boils my blood that I spend this amount of money on a piece of technology that was Dead On Arrival. Razer stopped production less than a year from release along with all the peripherals for it. If I knew Razer was going to stop supporting this, I would have spend my money more wisely. This is a really disappointment. To add more disappointment, Razer still announces this as something big in their website, as if they are still selling them or the peripherals.

********

First of all, Leave the Grammar Nazi in the closet. English is not my first language.

I really haven't been able to use it. Although what I seen so far is been well, good. I could not find a way to run the Steam client. it comes as the Big Picture instance. Horrible system if you ask me. It was very hard just to get the keyboard on screen and by the time I figured out how to write in my user name, password and verification code (steams requires this when running Steam for the first time in a PC) something went wrong and I could never log in. I could not get Steam since I could not write the verification code and could not do the desktop mode so I uninstalled it and re-installed it. That solved that problem. Started running the installation for Civilization 5 (been playing this franchise since 1992) while did what follows. I wrote this review as I was trying the make the thing work. By the way, dropping all the Razer gear is to show I do like the company and am a loyal customer.
Well, I have a two desktops running 8.1. Since all tablets, so far, run 8.1 and 8.1 is a tablet OS after tall, I decided to upgrade to 8.1. What a mistake. The first time it tried to run, the screen was locked in one direction and the clicks will register on the other side of the screen where you clicked. That made the on-screen keyboard unusable. So I connected my Lycosa keyboard and type in my password. When Windows 8.1 came up, it was still upside down with registering the clicks on the opposite side of the screen of where I was pressing. Windows, of course, does not uninstall. In order to maneuver my way around the screen I tried to connect my Orichi but for some reason it wouldn't recognize it through the Bluetooth so connected my Mamba, to find out that apparently that I could not run the mouse through the Lycosa, so I changed keyboard to an old Tarantula and that way both worked. I went to the Razer page, the FAQ has nothing regarding 8.1. I do a search and apparently I am not the only idiot who has tried this with the same effects. So, through my meanderings in the Internet, I found out that Razer has special drivers that will work with 8.1, but before installing 8.1 you have to first uninstall a number of applications. Mainly display and sound. Well I didn't since I did not know and there are no warnings that a 2013 i7 core tablet is not compatible with the latest version of Windows out of the box. If there was a warning, I wouldn't be this angry. So I uninstall everything that needs installation and download the drivers. By the way, there is no instructions on the order in which you should install these drivers. So I ran what I though it should be the first one, since one of the problems is that the screen is locked "upside down". Well, I click on the program "Sensor Hub" and I get a Command window running some batch file. It ends and nothing happens. After 5 to 8 mintues I decided to just reboot it. Well, now the screen is not locked. Now the screen orient itself when you turn the table around. Only problem, it orients itself upside-down to how you are holding it. GREAT! So now I have to turn the tablet and lay it flat taking care it does not tilt or I'll end up with the thing upside-down again. I run the next "logical", it seemed, program. "Razer Display Switch", I get a very fast splash screen and... nothing happens. So I don't really know if something did happen. I ran it again, yes I am an old computer guy. If it screwed up on the first try, maybe on the second it won't. Old PC tech mentality. Yep, the same. Really fast splash screen of a command window program with some other window with buttons that I don't get to click because it came in and out faster than my eye could see. NEXT! the "Dolby Driver", since the old one did not really loaded in 8.1, Restart. At least this one did ask for a restart. Next one, the Conexant SmartAudio. WTH, it is the same program? Why then list it twice. the description says Conexant SmartAudio 8.65.4.0, but when you download, it downloads both drivers in the same package, I guess. NEXT! Nvida VGA driver, OK, that one installed with no issues. Next Intel VGA, the version on Razer is older than the version installed. Which did not make sense, so I did not install that one. After all that I still have the screen upside-down and the taps register on the opposite side of where I am tapping. And NO, doing the screen resolution and flipping the screen does not work. The taps keep registering on the opposite side of where you tap and the screen goes back to being upside-down.
After paying this much money for a tablet, I expected a better experience. Especially when I own two keyboards, three mice a set of headphones and now the tablet. I was going to get the next iteration of the Blade, but now this has me thinking. I'll post this in Razer's support page. See if they can help me. If they can't well I guess I'll have to return it, after I already bought and installed the Zagg shield on the whole body.

The following was a couple of hours later; Turns out it was the Intel driver. Yes you need to downgrade the driver. Now works fine. Finally I get to play with my new toy. I upgraded the 2 starts to 3, just because of the hardship.

1.0 out of 5 stars I purchased this product 11/26/13. This tablet is impossible ..., November 3, 2014
I purchased this product 11/26/13. This tablet is impossible to use for the high-end gaming it supports unless you have its accessories. Unfortunately, half of the accessories Razer promised for this product were never released despite having full technical specs and product info on their site. The accessories that were available were barely available and I've been watching for them for a long time.

Now their support FAQ for this product says the accessories are unavailable except for a few power cables. To be clear, most of these accessories were NEVER available during the time I owned this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars For How Much I Paid..., April 30, 2014
If you pay a thousand dollars for something, you'd assume you get a product that can perform straight out of the box without hitch or error.
I made sure to unbox this beast and let it sit for at least a few hours (charging).
I made sure I didn't improperly handle the packaging or the tablet itself.
I carefully and meticulously removed everything from the box (all three pieces), and placed them on a clean table.
After waiting for it to fully charge, I then proceeded to create my Windows account and complete the whole process of setting up the device.
The Edge performed admirably in all conditions I put it through, the SSD really makes startup-shutdown a 5sec thing.

Here's where my problem began...
Right off the bat, it was making itself sleep. I assumed I was just accidentally pressing the lock-screen button, but later found out that it was an actual problem. I updated the graphical drivers (which were 50 versions behind out of the box) which helped the issue; however it still occurs when playing even the simplest of games (Starbound, Minecraft, Terraria, etc.).
It's gotten to the point where even simply browsing the web elicits this effect.

I can't understand and I have not way to troubleshoot by looking up any problems on search engines.
The device is too new.

Bottom line, I should NOT HAVE BEEN SENT a sub-par machine, especially with the price tag.
If given the chance, I probably would have spent the money of a laptop build because, at the very least, I would only have myself to blame if the computer I build turned out to be defective.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best tab, February 12, 2014
pros;
Full powerful pc in a tab
Long lasting battery for normal use ( Not gaming )
Loud speakers
Good after sale support.

cons:
NO 3G or 4G connection . For me the most important missing feature I would rate this pc 5/5 with it.
Heavy weight
charging port not in a good position should be some thing from behind the tab not effecting the edge.
I think the drivers or programming could be improved since there are some blinking windows with the start.

Razer Edge 64GB Tablet