5.0 out of 5 stars Ambidextrous gaming mouse
Pros:
- Ambidextrous
- 9 fully programmable buttons
- rubberized side grips
- Insane DPI if you really needed it that high
- Braided cord for non tangle
- Dual 4G laser
- Very good looking (has metal mesh under right/left click buttons)
- Green LEDs match my Deathstalker (ymmv!)

Cons:
- Uses Razer Synapse 2.0, which...
Published 20 months ago by R. Martin

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Poor customer support
Published 22 months ago by Seth Hanzik

5.0 out of 5 stars Ambidextrous gaming mouse, January 2, 2013
This review is from: Razer Taipan Ambidextrous PC Gaming Mouse (Personal Computers)
Pros:
- Ambidextrous
- 9 fully programmable buttons
- rubberized side grips
- Insane DPI if you really needed it that high
- Braided cord for non tangle
- Dual 4G laser
- Very good looking (has metal mesh under right/left click buttons)
- Green LEDs match my Deathstalker (ymmv!)

Cons:
- Uses Razer Synapse 2.0, which I find to be... meh. If I was someone who was constantly going to different spots and places to play my games and took this mouse with me, I might appreciate it... but then again most of my games I use the same keybinds as the rest, so... maybe not. Either way, it's not so much a con as a "just saying." I've had this mouse for about a month now, and I still can't really come up with a con, it's technically perfect.

Overall I love it (replaced a Razer Orochi I've had for a few years). Being left handed, it's hard to find a decent mouse that has enough buttons but also isn't "ergonomically" designed in that stupid right hand format that's impossible for me to use. Nothing against right handed people, but right handed only peripherals piss me off.

Not sure about the people who said you can't program the 4 side buttons independently, I have all 4 side buttons set to different keystrokes and they all work fine.

If this mouse broke tomorrow I'd buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Mouse, October 23, 2012
The Razer Taipan is an excellent mouse. I owned the original Microsoft Sidewinder for about 5 years before it finally died on me, and after much research looking for a comparable mouse I finally decided on this one. I was a bit worried that it would be an abrupt change from my old mouse, but it really does fit the hand quite well and I adapted to it very quickly. My old mouse had thumb buttons arranged vertically rather than the horizontal placement the Taipan uses, but they're positioned so well that I hardly noticed the difference. I use the side buttons so much for navigating forward and backward in browsers that I now feel lost using a mouse without them.

The Taipan comes with support for Razer's Synapse 2.0 software that allows you to customize your mouse for various games and programs. I haven't played around with it too much, but it seems to work fine. You can adjust whether the mouse wheel and logo glow or not using it (the wheel glows continuously, the logo fades in and out).

The cable has an interesting "braided" texture that is supposed to reduce tangling. It's about 2 meters long but I have it all stretched out so that particular issue hasn't arisen. To me, it feels nicer than the typical rubber cable.

About the only complaint I have with this mouse is that the mouse wheel doesn't "spin" like my old mouse if you give it a good flick, so scrolling through long webpages takes a bit more effort. But I understand the justification for it (games often need precise incremental clicks of the mouse wheel rather than fast spins), and it's not a serious complaint. I'm sure over time I'll adapt to it, and I suppose those scroll bars on the side exist for a reason. The scroll wheel itself has a nice rubberized surface that feels nice and doesn't get slippery, and has little bumps on it to help ensure you scroll just as far as you want and no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have mouse!, September 21, 2013
The razer taipan is truly one of the best gaming mice, if not the best, that razer has to offer. It if very underrated and although it is 70 dollars, compared to the 50-60 dollar deathadder 2013, I would pick this anyday.

I used the deathadder 2013 for 3 months, and overtime I grew to dislike it because the rubber side grips were so small and designed on the convex shape of the deathadder that my fingers were constantly slipping off, and being a fingertip grip, this was very distracting. The taipan also has rubber side grips, but they are much bigger and are placed on a concave surface, so your fingers will never want to let go!

-Pros
great design
great look
amazingly high dpi and dual sensor system! it is very reliable and very accurate and high quality
very comfortable
no finger or wrist strain over hours of gaming/usage
overall very high performance

-cons
cannot palm grip the mouse
left side buttons can possibly get in the way if you palm grip, but you can always disable them on synapse 2.0
ring and pinky finger may take a while to adjust placement

If you don't palm grip, this is the mouse for you! I used fingertip grip before, but with the taipan it feels like a mixture of claw and fingertip grip. The design of the mouse can be weird for you ring and pinky finger to find a good home, but when you adjust your grip(took me about 15 minutes) it will be very comfortable and strain free forever!

Overall this mouse if perfect for anyone that does not palm, and wants a sick looking, comfortable, high performing gaming mouse! I highly recommend buying this over the deathadder for only slightly more in price(unless you palm grip). I plan on using this mouse for many many years, it's perfect! Take a chance and try a new mouse!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Poor customer support, November 3, 2012
For the first month this product was great. I purchased it to replace my aging Razer Copperhead, and at first I loved it. When it works, it is fantastic. However, now the mouse does not work from a cold boot or standby forcing me to unplug and replug it in to get it working again. Ok, so I got a bad one. No big deal right, it happens? Just request replacement under RMA.

Oh no, this is where the process becomes convoluted and absolutely unacceptable. I have RMA'd many products over the years, and I've never had this much trouble. I am still in the process of trying to send this POS off to Razer. The issue, is at this point I have emailed, spoken to a rep over the phone, been referred via email to another division of the company and I still don't have an RMA number. What makes matters even worse I have to wait 2-4 days in between each email. It has been over a week since I started the process. An RMA with a company like ASUS, MSI, etc I would already have my replacement in the mail coming back to me at this point.

This type of customer no-service is unacceptable, and after being a Razer customer for years I will never be purchasing another product from them.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Dec 5, 2012 3:46:55 PM PST
Hi Seth,

Sorry to hear about your experience with our Customer Support team. Please make sure that you contacted us through: http://razersupport.com/email

I see that you've been processed for the RMA - but if it isn't completed, please feel free to e-mail your correspondences to feedback@razerzone.com.

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Razer Customer Satisfaction

2.0 out of 5 stars Tried to Like it... But ......, June 18, 2014
Jenny "Trekgirl" (NW California Coast) - See all my reviews
I have been gaming for many many years ( more than I would like to admit , Zork Anyone ?) and have used many many Mice in that time.

I came to a point where my current mouse was just plain worn out and needed to be replaced.

I did considerable research concerning the many choices available to me and there were many many positive reviews about this mouse mostly concerning the level of comfort, which is very important for me. The features and available buttons for programming etc. Everything sounded like it was perfect for me, even to the grip type.

I could have not been more wrong. From the very first moment I tried to use this mouse I could not get it to " Set Right " in my hand. I am constantly hitting the right hand side buttons while in normal use and in game hitting these buttons is just not a good thing, so the only option is to not use them, so there goes 2 of the programmable buttons.

If I change the way I grip the mouse to allow access to the buttons, then it takes much longer to activate them while in game or the heat of battle than to just hit the corresponding key on the keyboard..

So, this leaves me with the two buttons on the left side, the middle wheel button and the two buttons that are assigned to the DPI setting changes.

The Two left buttons are fairly easy to use but should have been separated just a bit more for my taste but if you use a rolling motion on the button grouping it seems to work OK.

Re-assigning the top two buttons reserved for the DPI settings changes can add back the two buttons on the right that had to be left disabled but again, in the heat of battle having to move the index finger that far towards the back of the mouse and then back again takes precious seconds that can keep you from being able to shoot using the left mouse button. Very cumbersome and clunky.

The tracking seems very good but in the end, after having to disable two of the programmable buttons, getting hand cramps after the first 5-10 minutes of using the mouse every time regardless of whether it is gaming or normal use, clunky positioning for top two buttons ( if used as a reassigned button ) , and the last issue, its weight, for me, it is way too light. I am sure that for some this is a good thing but for me, when I move something on my desk and the cord is barley touched, the mouse moves all over the place. The cord almost weighs more than the mouse and unless it sits perfectly flat and the cord has nothing around it to bind or cause friction ( such as other cords and cables ) it is fine but, if your like me and have multiple cables and cords coming from your system then it can get jerked around quite a bit. I have a Nostrmo that plugs in right next to this mouse. When I use it and move it around while playing unless i constantly keep the cables separate then , the act of moving the nostromo around causes the mouse to jerk around unless I'm holding to it. Same goes for the Onza I use as well, however in that case I have the mouse sitting off on something that will keep it from getting knocked around too much.

This leads to my final critique: The branding. In the pictures here on Amazon and on the Razer Website, the Battlefield 4 logo is bright and colorful, orange,blue etc.... On the Mouse I received, everything is very washed out and gray in color. The orange streaks are dull and yellowish, blue areas are dull gray and the top part of the letters of the " BATTLEFIELD 4 " logo look like they are missing or like someone tried to erase them. The best way to describe the way the branding looks is as if someone left it sitting in the sun and all of the paint faded, old.
Very very disappointing.

I like Razer products, please do not get the wrong idea. It's just in this case either the reviews were way off or there is something else wrong.

Washed out Logo

Very uncomfortable to hold causes hand cramping after 5-10 minutes

Bad Button layout for the right side- Necessitating to DE-activation of the right side buttons

Weight ( for Me ) - way too light

A very disappointing purchase on my end, I had weighed this against the RAT5-7 and now wish I had bought the RAT5.

This was a birthday present for myself and this is one of the very few times I have experienced Buyers Remorse. Overall, it is the cramping that is the real issue. I am fighting cancer ( Third time around and in year two of this round ) and spend a considerable amount of time on the computer, having a piece of equipment adding to the level of discomfort already being experienced is just not acceptable.

Do yourself a favor and try to use one of these in person before you decide to buy it.

Jenny

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!!!, August 17, 2012
danita layser (Newmanstown, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this mouse a few days ago along with the razer mamba 2012 knowing that I would return one. 2 days ago i used the mamba and didn't even touch the taipan. I played CoD 4 with the mamba and didn't like it... The mouse was too heavy for slow movements if you just want to move your mouse quarter of an inch, if you try to move it slow sometimes you end up doing a 180 or something like that. last night I opened the razer taipan and the second I put it in my hand I made my choice, taipan it is!!! I like light mice because it feels like you have more control, also the taipan has mouse pad calibration for all razer mats. This mouse is amazing for fps gaming just make sure you disable the right side mouse buttons (or left if you are a lefty) so you don't hit it accidentally. The only downside to the taipan is that it's too light for some people but personally I love it!!! You also can't change the color of the lights on it but that doesn't matter to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sick mouse!, October 7, 2012
I bought this mouse because I'm left handed and it really fits to my hand and my brothers hand (he's righty). Every Button on the mouse I customizable which is really convenient. I use this mouse mainly for Starcraft 2 and it gets the job done in style! I definitely recommend this to anyone and lefties!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Gaming Mouse, July 17, 2013
This mouse is a little smaller than some of the other gaming mice, but the buttons are well placed, easy to press without accidental triggering and the software to customize the layout to each game or application you launch is amazing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same problem as every other Razer I've bought, March 14, 2014
Laura Collins (Milwaukee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
After four months, the left click button is failing. It double clicks when it should single click and sometimes won't register a click at all. I have had 5 Lachisis, an Imparator and now this one. All of them have failed in the same way. If I could find another mouse with the same features and feel, I would switch immediately.

Razer has been good about the RMA process, but they shouldn't all fail like this.,

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dissapointed given the price., July 3, 2014
The way I hold my mouse, I'm always bumping one of the buttons on the right side with my middle finger, so I had to disable that one. It also means that my finger is always resting on or near that button, and it's not quite as comfortable as another mouse I have that is only for right-handed people. I guess that making it ambidextrous is not an advantage for me.

I find that the center of gravity of the mouse is too far back so when I lift it to move it over, it tilts up at the front a little.

The acceleration setting doesn't seem to work the way I'd expect and I'm wondering if the system mouse drivers from before are overriding the settings from the Razer software. That Razer mouse software isn't all that intuitive either. I'm not fully confident that I know I'm saving the profiles right. It's also a very large download for mouse software. Something like 250 meg. It makes me reluctant to update it when it offers to do so because it means I'm down for 15 minutes and I probably will have to reboot.

I'm happy with the braided cable, which reduces the cable stiffness compared with plastic insulation. That's the main reason I bought this mouse. I really haven't used all the customizable capabilities as much as I thought I would.

Razer Taipan Ambidextrous PC Gaming Mouse