5.0 out of 5 stars Razor has an answer to the Xootr
I have so many push scooters I bought from Amazon. My all time favorite was the Goped because of the high weight capacity, and its soft comfy tires. For those that are thinking of getting a scooter, you can read the following comparison based on what I have experienced.

Tires and Ride:
1. Razor A5 - Tires are firm but you wont rattle your teeth because...
Published on September 29, 2009 by Dr. Wally M. Viray

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea (big wheels)...ok ok quality
So I live 0.4 miles from train station and taking a bike to work is hassle and walking takes time.
Hence I got this razor scooter with big wheels to go over city sized curbs Yup its a commuter scooter....
It does the job except for I am not too happy with the quality. My boss has a 6 year old razor (which he uses for same purpose as me) and when i compared his...
Published on January 25, 2009 by Vineet Khosla

5.0 out of 5 stars Razor has an answer to the Xootr, September 29, 2009

Tires and Ride:
1. Razor A5 - Tires are firm but you wont rattle your teeth because the tires are so Tall. Since they are so large, very small imperfections in the road are not noticeable. It glides very well. Although the tires are narrow, since it is so tall, it would take a pretty deep crack on the pavement to make me fall over. Score 9/10
2. Xootr - Tires aren't too large so you feel more vibration. The longest glide of all scooters. Extremely fast on smooth surfaces. More dangerous on imperfect roads, so can really be used on very well paved roads if you want to be really safe. Score 8/10.
3. Goped - The Rolls Royce of Scooter tires. These tires are big and fat, so you don't have to worry about cracks on the pavement. As long as it isn't an open manhole, I am confident I can go over it. Does not glide as far as the A5 and Xootr but not that far behind them. Score 10/10

Weight:
1. Razor A5 - It is the lightest of the 3. It is less than 9 pounds based on the scale. Very easy to carry because it isn't heavy and bulky. Score 10/10
2. Xootr - It is also light and easy to carry. Score 9/10
3. Goped - It is heavy because it is built like a tank. Score 7/10

Ease in Folding:
1. Razor A5 - Hands down winner. It is even easier to fold than the previous Razors. Score 10/10
2. Xootr - I dont like the Pin design. Score 5/10
3. Goped - Very easy to fold but primitive locking. Score 8/10

Price:
1. Razor A5 - Score 10/10
2. Xootr - Score 6/10
3. Goped - Score 9/10

Effort Required:
1. Razor A5 - It has the lowest Deck height, so your standing leg does not have to work so hard. Score 10/10
2. Xootr - It is not as low as the Razor, but since the wheels have an excellent glide, there isnt much effort required. 9/10
3. Goped - It is very high off the ground, so your standing leg has to bend more for each kick. I suppose if you are tall, it won't matter. 8/10

Looks:
1. Razor A5 - It isn't the prettiest thing out there. I am not too hot on the Red wheels and red grips. The all Aluminum frame looks bland. If I were to compare its looks to a car brand, it would be a Suzuki. Score 6/10
2. Xootr - This is the Ferrari of scooters. It is beautiful. I like looking at it, and so do other people. Score 10/10.
3. Goped - If the looks of the Xootr is like a Ferrari, this would be the Subaru Outback. Score 9/10. It isn't flashy, but it has an understated Quality look about it.

The winner:
Razor A5 - It is the best all around scooter I have. It is very good in everything except for looks.

*****UPDATE OCT 9,2009*****

I just replaced the stock ABEC 5 bearings with Bones RED bearings which I purchased from Amazon for 12 dollars for 8 bearings. Bones is the benchmark for performance skate bearings. It only took me 10 minutes to remove my old set and replace them with the Bones.

RESULT:
My A5 now glides just as well as my Xootr and is smoother. It is so much faster as well. You get more distance with each kick. And since I only need 4 bearings for my A5, I still have 4 more as spare. I suggest doing the same. Well worth it.

*****UPDATE APRIL 19,2010******
I conducted a very simple test between my A5 and Xootr Mg. I went down a 10 degree hill that levels off, first with the A5 and then the Xootr. I let gravity propel me on both cases so that kicking power can be ruled out.

Test result:
The A5 went 6 feet further than my Xootr. And I still feel the Bones Reds give a very smooth ride. Definitely smoother and further than the stock bearings of the A5. But, my Xootr still looks awesome, whereas my A5 still looks dull.

Note: I will conduct another test in a few weeks. I will buy 2 sets of replacement wheels from Razor so that I have a new set of tires with the original bearings. 1 set will have original bearings, and another set will have Bones Red. I will then test with a GPS both distance down a hill that levels off, and also acceleration.

This will be an interesting physics experiment. I want this to be a definitive test. I will let you know.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, high-performance, adult-sized scooter. May need adjustment on delivery, March 31, 2009
This review is from: Razor A5 Lux Scooter (Sports)
I bought my A5 Lux in early December, 2008. Even in Denver in the winter months, there are many days suitable for scooting, and I've put about 100 miles on my A5 since then.

Bottom line: I like my A5 very much, I'm glad I bought it, and I would make the same choice again. I would choose it over a Xootr or a Know-Ped. (Amazon sells both of these, too. I encourage you to check them out.)

<Added April 24, 2009: Since I first published this review, I've heard from a couple of others who own it that their scooters were not properly adjusted when they received them. This made the steering column feel wobbly and loose. When properly adjusted, the A5 Lux will live up to the description in my review. With such a small sample, it's hard to say how common the problem is. In fairness to Razor, the owner's manual (which you can download at Razor.com.) says you should perform these adjustments before riding and gives clear, easily understandable instructions for them.

Just be aware that if you buy an A5, to get good results you need to check/perform a couple of adjustments when you first get it. These adjustments are simple and can be done with tools most people would already have. See the notes on my photos of the folding mechanism and quick-release for more info.

If the steering column still feels loose after making the adjustments described in the owner's manual, the problem may be a loose headset. Adjusting a headset requires the skills and tools of a bicycle mechanic, and a bike shop would probably charge you for it. The problem with a loose headset, besides the unwanted movement, is that the steering bearings can become damaged. If you get a scooter with a loose headset, you might want to exchange it.>

Before buying the A5, I used one of the early Razor models (bought in year 2000) with 98 mm diameter inline skate wheels. I don't know the model designation. I'm not even sure they had model designations back then.

Contrary to what has been said by a previous reviewer, I see no decline in quality between my year 2000 Razor and the A5. I am a civil engineer, and have been repairing and maintaining my own bicycles, motorcycles and cars for about 40 years, so I think have a pretty good understanding of machines. My A5 looks to me to be very well made. Everything operates smoothly, and the machining, fit and finish seem to be flawless. I think the quality of workmanship and materials is very good.

As an example of the quality of the A5 compared to the older Razors, I uploaded a photo of the attachment of the folding mechanism to the platform. The A5 has a continuous weld along the entire length of the joint. My old Razor had only a short weld at the front and another short weld at the rear. Obviously, the continuous weld is stronger. I would call that an improvement in quality.

I'm 5'11" and 165 lb. I use the A5 for commuting and just for fun. When I commute, I carry a backpack that typically weighs around 15 lb; so the total weight on the scooter is around 180 lb. The rated capacity is 220 lb, and the A5 feels very sturdy carrying me and my backpack. I think the 220 lb rated capacity is realistic and probably even conservative, though I wouldn't recommend exceeding it.

The A5 with it's 200 mm diameter wheels is night-and-day different from my old Razor. The A5 is much easier to push, and coasts farther when pushing, and faster down hills. The larger wheels are also much less likely to get caught or thrown by debris on the pavement, uneven pavement, or large cracks. That said, it can still happen. Obviously there is a limit to what any scooter can handle, and the skill of the rider is also a factor. The rider must use good judgment. I'm just saying that, all else being equal, the A5 handles adverse conditions much better than scooters with inline skate wheels. I feel much safer on my A5, and wouldn't go back to my old Razor for anything.

The A5 wheels and bearings have very low rolling resistance. The tires are solid urethane and very firm. This accounts for the low rolling resistance and high-performance, but also gives a harsh ride; possibly a little harsher than my old Razor. As anyone familiar with high-performance road bicycles knows, it's a trade-off: you can have high performance or a soft ride, but not both. Xootrs, which have similar urethane tires, are also reported to give a harsh ride. If you want a gentler ride, get a Know-Ped.

The handlebar height is fine for me. The maximum height above the platform is 36.5", measured to the top side of the grips. The quick release adjustment allows you to set a lower height if you wish. The minimum height would be 27.5".

The deck width is 4.5". You can't put both feet completely on it side-by-side. For some people that would be important for alternating between legs for pushing. To minimize fatigue, you need to be able to alternate which leg does the pushing and which is the standing leg from time to time. (Surprisingly, it's the standing leg that gets tired: all those up and down motions.) The platform on a Xootr MG or Know-Ped is wide enough to put both feet completely on the platform side-by-side, which makes it easy to switch legs.

With the A5, you can just stop to switch legs (easy, but not very efficient), or develop a technique to do it while moving. I have a couple of such techniques. One is to plant the foot of my pushing leg on the ground, step forward off the deck with the foot of the standing leg, then pick up the foot of the former pushing leg and put it on the deck. This is good for slow to moderate speeds only. I use this a lot when I'm going uphill. This technique requires coordination and practice; and if you miss, you may get hurt. If you don't feel comfortable with it, don't use it.

The other method sounds complicated, but it's much easier to perform than to describe. I do this when I'm moving too fast for the first technique. I put my weight on the ball of the foot that's on the deck, and pivot the heel of that foot outward just past the edge of the deck. That opens a space on the back part of the deck. Then I put the heel of the other foot on the deck in the space behind the first foot. The toe of the back foot is pointed outward and extends just beyond the edge of the deck. I shift my weight to the heel that is on the deck and move the front foot completely off the deck. The maneuver is completed by pivoting on the heel that is on the deck to bring the toe of that foot onto the deck.

Although you can't put both feet *completely* on the A5 deck, I am able to get both feet on it enough to feel comfortable when coasting. I uploaded a photo to show what I mean. I get about half of each foot on the platform, which feels surprisingly secure. You wouldn't want your feet hanging off the platform like that if you're pushing the scooter, but it helps you stay comfortable on long downhill glides.

The top of the platform is 2.5" above the pavement. A low platform height is desirable for pushing efficiency. The lower the platform, the less you have to bend your standing leg to push. Remember: it's the standing leg that gets tired. The platform height on Know-Ped is reported to be 3.5" (specs on NYCeWheels web site; I don't think Amazon takes kindly to people including links to other web sites, but Google will find them). I think I read somewhere that on a Xootr MG it's 2.5", but I am not able to find the documentation to back that up now.

The platform itself is very thin, but it is strengthened by two thin metal ribs on the underneath side. (I uploaded a photo of these.) The ribs protrude about 0.9" from the platform, leaving a ground clearance of 1.6", exactly the same as my old Razor with the inline skate wheels. This is adequate most of the time. If you encounter a situation that needs more than 1.6" of ground clearance, chances are you should just plant your pushing foot and "step" (lift) the scooter over the obstacle. You lift the scooter and your foot in contact with the platform together, and just step it over the obstacle. It hardly slows you down at all.

One of my few negative comments about the A5 is the length of "footroom" on the platform. This is the length of the platform available to actually put your foot, between the connection to the steering tube in front, and the rear wheel. It measures 13", and I find it barely adequate. I uploaded a photo of my shoe on the platform. There is very little room to spare at the front and rear of my foot. This means that when I switch feet on the platform while in motion, I have to be pretty accurate about where my foot lands on the platform. It's a bit of a challenge, since I don't look at my feet while I'm making the switch. I wish they had made it an inch or two longer.

Another negative comment I have concerns the brake. Like my old Razor, the A5 has only a rear fender-stomp brake. You step on the rear fender, which presses against the rear wheel and slows the scooter down. The braking on the A5 is pretty poor. It is less effective than the brake on the old Razor. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it has to do with the material the tires are made of. With the A5, if I'm traveling fast, I have to start slowing down for a stop quite a bit sooner than I did with my old Razor. At low to moderate speeds, the brake is adequate. Overall, it works; you just have to get used to how long it takes to stop and allow adequate distance. Xootrs and Know-Peds have a hand-operated brake that acts on the front wheel; the A5 has no front brake. I haven't ridden a Xootr or Know-Ped, but no doubt their braking is much better.

It was because of these negatives that I gave the A5 four stars rather than five.

So why would I choose the A5 over a Xootr? Xootrs have had some durability problems, and some of them can create a serious safety hazard. If you want to read first-hand accounts, you can find some in a Yahoo group for Xootr users. The archives are public, so you don't need to join the group to read the posts. For the reason mentioned above, I'm not including links to other web sites, but search Yahoo Groups using the word Xootr, and it should be the second group listed. The group name is Xootr Scooter. Read posts #1554 and #1565 for accounts of the pin that connects the steering tube to the platform breaking, causing a crash. Read post #1467 for an account of the locking pin socket wearing. There is another Yahoo group called NYCKickScooters which also has public archives (should be the first group listed in the search results). In that group, read post #532 about the pivot pin coming out, causing a crash. Maybe these aren't common problems, but they concerned me enough to make me reluctant to buy a Xootr, especially at 3 times the price of the A5.

The A5 connection to the steering tube is a headset, similar to that used on bicycles. This is a proven concept, tested for decades in bicycles, that I trust much more than the pin connection used on the Xootr. Also, the A5 has 200 mm diameter wheels versus 180 mm on the Xootr.

So why would I choose the A5 over a Know-Ped? One word: performance. The Know-Ped is heavier and has less efficient tires than the A5. The result is a slower scooter that requires more work to push. Of course, Know-Peds are reported to give a softer ride, but I'll take the harsher ride of the A5 for better performance. The Know-Ped is reported to weigh 11.3 lb (specs on NYCeWheels web site). The actual weight of the A5, by my Ultraship 75 scale (Amazon sells these, they're great!), is 8.2 lb. (For the record, the Xootr MG is reported on the Xootr web site to weigh 9.9 lb.) The wider platform of the Know-Ped is also more likely to be a problem when taking the scooter on public transportation.

For additional information, you might want to check out the photos I've uploaded. I've added notes to explain what I'm trying to show in each picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than Xootr, Know-Ped and other adult scooters, April 4, 2009
This review is from: Razor A5 Lux Scooter (Sports)
I was deciding between the Razor A5, the Pro, the Xootr (and all its variations) and the Know-Ped. And, of course, just plain old walking, but what's the fun in that?

In the end, I'm a cheap, stingy guy and wanted to figure out what would carry my weight without breaking, for the lowest price. The Razor A5 Lux does the trick.

I actually tried the Xootr -- it's an awesome ride, and if you have >$200 to shell out, go for it. I didn't feel like sinking another Benjamin into what amounted to an adult toy -- although I think "adult toy" has some other connotations that I'm not intending here.

Anyhow, what's nice about the Razor A5 Lux is that it folds up quickly -- no separate pin to pull out and lose (like the Xootr), there's a built in spring-loaded pin that you pull up, and snaps back in once it's folded. The whole thing is compact enough, once folded, that I can bring it on a moderately crowded subway to only get curious stares rather than nasty glares.

I do wish there were a better way to carry the thing -- a shoulder strap, a convenient handle somewhere. The vertical part of the scooter still spins around when you have it folded up, so you can inadvertently have the bottom part swing around and, *thwack*, land in court because you've just assaulted someone with an adult toy. And that would just be embarassing.

The ride is pretty good. On the streets of New York City, the wheels are large enough to manage the occasional cracks and pits. The rear brake is handy, and slows the scooter down instead of stopping it. Believe me, this is a good thing, since when you get going fast (down even a slight incline), if you stop, the inertia of your body will pitch you over the handlebars if you stop too suddenly.

But as for the ease of getting around and the low-friction-ness of the deal, well, I've tried the Xootr, and while it's not as super-smooth as that ride, it's pretty close. Put it this way -- I wouldn't pay an extra Benjamin to get the ride of the Xootr.

Another thing: to echo another reviewer, the handlebars are indeed a bit narrow for my taste, but also make it that much more unobtrusive on the subway or bus.

One thing I don't really like, but can't figure out how they could make better, is that you're basically standing on one foot most of the time -- which can get pretty tiring. Try standing on one leg for 20 seconds, and you'll see what I mean. It's not a deal-breaker though. I switch standing legs at street corners or whenever. The photo they put in the Amazon description here, though, is funny, because there's no way this dude could be kicking/pushing effectively with either of his legs if he were riding side-saddle as shown. The photo basically implies that he's riding downhill, or else has magical abilities to propel wheeled vehicles and toys.

Finally, the handle-bar height -- I'm 5'9", and this works just fine for me -- it's tall enough with the thing fully extended.

So, all in all, if you're looking at this for a kid, rest assured that it can tolerate the stress that grown men can throw at it. If you're looking at this for yourself, say, for a commute in a sidewalk-capable city like New York City, then this is a decent, economical solution. If you happen to have more cash lying around, go check out the Xootr -- I think nycEwheels has some in NYC, if you're on the East Side. And if you happen to have even less cash lying around, then consider speed-walking or running instead of scooters altogether.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scooter Comparison, Razor A5, Go-Peds, Airwalk Grande, December 28, 2010
This review is from: Razor A5 Lux Scooter
I bought 4 scooters for my 2 kids and myself for Xmas in 2010. Razor A5, Airwalk Grande, both sizes of the Go-Ped, the Grow Ped (small) and the Know Ped (large). My daughter is 7, son is 11, and I'm mid 50s. We already owned a couple of older small wheeled Razors.

The Airwalk is a knockoff of the Razor A5. Slightly larger wheels, but not by much. The Airwalk is not as polished of a design. It does have a wider foot plank, but the plank top is almost 2" higher than the Razor A5 (4 1/2" vs 2 1/2"), so the balance isn't as good and requires more reach to stroke. The construction quality isn't as good as the Razor, and it's heavier by a pound or 2. The one I receive was "defective". The post was not welded on straight. I sent it back to Amazon and ordered the Go-Peds.

The Razor A5 is a polished product. We all like it. It's noticeably faster and easier to stroke along than the Go-Peds. It is the lightest and least expensive of all 4 scooters we tried. The footboard is a bit narrow, but you can still get 2 feet on it. The handle bars are adjustable, which is good for us. We can all ride it. One negative is the handle bar caps, which are hard plastic and not comfortable. The Go-Peds have a hand brake, which does come in handy, but I suppose the tradeoff is simplicity The Razor A5 ride is a bit rougher than the Go-Peds on the street, but not by much. We all like the Razor the best for most of our riding, but the Go-Peds are also nice, so we kept both.

The Go-Peds are well thought out with good construction. I like the folding scheme the best; quick simple and sturdy. Some reviewers have complained about the clip that hooks the handle bars to the back fender when folded, but it seems to work fine. The Go-Peds are more casual to ride than the Razor A5. The tires are fatter, but only 3/4 the height of the Razor wheels. The Razor A5 Wheels seem like the optimal height, but they are narrower and won't go over the soft dirt or rough surfaces as well as the fatter Go-Ped Wheels. It's nice having both a hand brake and the back foot brake on the Go-Peds. The foot board is twice as wide as the Razor, wide enough for both feet side by side. It's more casual sporting around on than the Razor, turning and banking, but not as good for transportation. The fatter shorter Go-Ped wheels don't roll as well as the Razor A5, and the foot board is slightly higher, so it doesn't go as fast and requires more stroking. We did a couple of shallow downhill test, and the Razor is definitely faster. My 7 year old daughter on the Razor A5 can outrun my 11 year old son on the Know-Ped over a half mile level route on the street and sidewalk.

The Grow-Ped and the Know-Ped use the same size wheels, but are different size frames. The Go-Ped handle bar height is not adjustable, so I bought both thinking my 7 year old daughter would use the smaller Grow-Ped and my 11 year old son would use either the larger Know-Ped or the Razor A5. My daughter liked the Razor A5 more than the small Grow-Ped, probably because it goes faster, so we sent the Grow-Ped back to Amazon and kept the Razor A5 and the Know-Ped. I may choose to buy a 3rd scooter so we have one when friends come over. If we do, we'll buy another Razor A5, but we like the Know-Ped also. It's nice to have both. The smaller Grow-Ped is a nice scooter, but for smaller kids. The price difference between the Grow-Ped (small) and the Know-Ped (large) is minimal. There is also a 3rd model, the Super-Grow-Ped, which is stronger and lighter for doing tricks and jumps, but it's twice as expensive.

I buy a lot of stuff from Amazon.com. Amazon's price is usually competitive (on most stuff, but not everything), and I like the easy user interface and Prime Shipping. It's easy to look at my account and see what I bought 6 months ago or last year. I rarely return anything, but the few times I have, it's easy and fast. I've never written a review, but since I rely on the Amazon reviews so much, though I would this time because I did compare 4 scooters.

The Razor only comes in one color. The Go-Peds have a choice of colors. The Go-Peds are a little heavier than the Razor.

I highly recommend both the Razor A5 and the Go-Peds, but wouldn't recommend the Airwalk Grande. I also read some reviews on the Xootr, but didn't buy one, partially due to the higher price, and at the end of the day it's a toy for my kids. I also looked at some other options like the Kent Super Scooter, but passed despite the good reviews because it seemed bulky and heavy, not as portable in the car or on a bus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome adult scooter - Now I can keep up with my son!, July 18, 2011
This review is from: Razor A5 Lux Scooter
I am a big guy, 6', 260 lbs. My 4 year old son tears down the sidewalk on his Huffy Cars scooter (I upgraded the ball bearings with Bones Reds) and I just couldn't run after him anymore. After researching the various adult scooters, I bought the Razor Cruiser and the A5 Lux here. I returend the Cruiser and kept the A5 Lux. The weight limit is 220 lbs, but I feel totally safe and stable on the scooter. It's a pretty sweet ride and I am having a ton of fun on it with my son. We are playing together instead of me just watching him zoom around. Plenty of room on the kick board for my big size 12 shoes (I rarely have two feet on the board at once). The big wheels are awesome for going over sidewlk cracks and bumps, and the padded handle bars are a nice plus too.

I really considered getting the Xootr Mg, but it's 250 dollars. Is it that much better than the A5 Lux here for 65? A slightly bigger foot board on the Xootr just isn't worth it to me for casual play. Maybe if I was a commuter and used it every day it would be.

Whichever scooter you end up getting, do yourself a favor and buy a box of Bones Reds Precision Skate Bearings to upgrade the stock bearings that come with the scooter. Made a HUGE difference in my ride. Just one push off and my scooter rolled about 3 house lengths down the sidewalk. The box is only $12 and you get enough bearings (8) to upgrade the wheels on two scooters (each wheel needs two bearings). I had never done it before, but just search YouTube for something like, "how to replace your scooter ball bearings" and you'll find tons of videos on how to do it. Takes about 5 minutes, two No. 5 Allen Wrenches, and a 6 year old can do it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superior to small Razors; not as good as the Xootr, August 8, 2009
This review is from: Razor A5 Lux Scooter (Sports)
I spent a long time debating whether to buy this scooter and the nice long detailed reviews helped convince me it was worth the risk. To ensure future potential customers can have an equally beneficial experience, I'll write a review of my own.

First, a little background: the office where I work has three floor types: a very long wooden hallway, a rough stone tiled section, and carpet. Several people around the office use different kinds of scooters, including the Xootr and regular Razors with 98 mm wheels, and I've used both types frequently. Because the wooden hallway is so long, it's easy to tell that the Xootr glides smoothly, requiring very little effort to keep moving, and the small Razors need a lot of pushing and have almost no coasting. I would have liked to buy an Xootr but not with that ridiculous price tag. By purchasing the A5, I was hoping for something that was superior to the small Razors while not being as costly as the Xootr.

The verdict? The A5 is definitely far superior to regular small Razors. On the wooden floor, the small Razors require almost constant pushing (i.e. you don't coast very far) and on the carpet or stone, it's a fair amount of work just to move. Compared to that, the A5 is a joy to ride. The coasting was quite good on wood and stone, and although you do have to push a bit on carpet, it's nowhere near the effort required of the small Razor.

Compared to the Xootr, the A5 falls short. I admit I had pretty high expectations after reading the glowing reviews but the A5 is a sharp drop from the Xootr's oh-so-smooth ride. The A5 doesn't coast nearly as far and loses speed much more rapidly. A far worse problem is the vibration. Some reviews said the steering column sometimes needs adjustment but that's not my problem--the steering column feels rock-solid, but I attempted the adjustments anyway and everything seems good. My problem is that the entire platform seems to bump up and down as though you are traveling over a wavy surface even though I'm on a smooth wood floor, and this doesn't happen on the Xootr. That is, if I took an Xootr and put a glass of water filled to the brim on the scooter's deck, assuming I could ride it on smooth level ground while keeping the deck parallel to the ground, the water would not spill (i.e. there is no vertical motion). On the A5, water would leap up out of the cup. I placed the A5 on its side and spun the wheels, and I can see they aren't balanced. There's no play (i.e. grabbing the wheel and tilting it from side to side has little or no movement), the problem is the wheel itself. When I spin the wheel, I can see the edge of the wheel obviously moving up and down which means the wheel isn't balanced around the axle. I'm not sure how this happened since it seems to be attached correctly, so I suppose the wheel itself was made improperly and isn't symmetric--while that seems unlikely, it's the only explanation I have. I spun the wheels on the Xootr and it's perfectly even--so much so that you can't even tell it's spinning until you look at the spokes. Just for comparison, I spun the wheels on both the 98 mm Razor and a Razor Cruiser (125 mm wheels). The 98 mm wheels don't spin long enough for me to tell if they're even (and they're too small to be obvious). On the Cruiser, the wheels were unbalanced but not as much as the A5, although this could be because the A5's wheels are significantly larger.

Other general notes...the handlebar height is good (I'm 5 ft 8) and the deck was large enough for me. Some people complained about it but I thought it was ok--although it's difficult (or impossible) to put both feet on it facing forward, I often stand with my feet pointed to the left or right and then you can easily fit. I do have problems parking my scooter. With the Xootr or small Razor, I could just lean them against a wall. With the A5, the scooter has a tendency to roll forwards so I have to park it in a corner. Turning the handlebar so the front wheel points into the wall doesn't help as the scooter then rolls backwards and still falls over. I hop on and off several times a day and have to be very careful when I park it, so that's quite annoying. Also, the wheels are ridiculously large when you see it in person and this made me feel a little embarrassed to ride it at first.

The package was shipped with a boxed Razor put into an outer Amazon box. The outer box arrived intact but when I opened it, the Razor's box had been ripped like someone grabbed the inner part of the box and tried to tear it off or something. I almost sent it back but I inspected the Razor itself very closely and saw no damage, so I kept it.

To summarize: the A5 is significantly better than a regular Razor and not nearly as good as an Xootr. If a regular Razor is a 1 and an Xootr a 10, this would probably be a 6 or 7 if you're riding on a wooden floor, and an 8 otherwise. The wood makes the up-and-down motion of the A5 very obvious. On carpet and stone, it feels almost like an Xootr except it doesn't coast as far. The bumpy ride annoyed me at first but I'm getting used to it, so I'd say it was worth it to buy this scooter instead of the Xootr due to the latter's hefty price tag. If you don't intend to ride it on a smooth surface, you probably won't even notice the bumpiness and in that case this scooter would definitely be worth it compared to an Xootr.

*edit added Sept 21, 2009*: I contacted Razor customer service about the wheels feeling out-of-round and they sent me replacement wheels for free. I haven't had time to try them out yet (need to borrow the necessary tools) but I'm very impressed with Razor's customer service--kudos to them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good little cheap adult scooter, May 21, 2009
This review is from: Razor A5 Lux Scooter (Sports)
I ordered this scooter directly from the manufacturer. It took about a week for me to get it. I am completely satisfied with my purchase based on price and quality for the price. For the price, this is the best scooter you can get(for the price) This review is based upon initial impression and only one day of riding. The number ratings are based solely on my opinion and not on a scientific comparison.

Rider size:

5'10"
175lbs
age 37
Male

Quality:

I feel the quality of this Razor scooter is really pretty good. There is a spring loaded pin built into the frame near the steering neck that you pull up to unfold/fold the scooter into and out of riding position that unlocks/locks two other pins into a very sturdy bracket. Once locked into riding position the scooter is very sturdy, or at least as sturdy as could be for a little kick scooter. I don't want to go into detail about weld quality because I have no way to scientifically stress the joints to see what happens. The Razor A5 feels very solid at all times without any rattles. (7 out of 10)

Speed:

uh, you can go pretty fast on this. Probably faster than is really prudent down hills on such a device. The large 200mm wheels have very little friction and while I won't say they "glide" over bumps, they do a much better job than the standard, tiny kick scooter wheels on the kids scooters. I haven't done a face plant or been in danger of that but you can definitely feel the bumps. (9 out of 10)

Handling,

Really pretty simple, and easy handling. It gets a little jittery at higher speeds just because of the size of the dick front to back. Not unsafe, but for a 37 year old man, not the most comfortable. I will give this a 6 or 7 out of 10 for handling at high speed. It doesn't get higher marks because the deck is shorter. With a longer deck, it should be more stable at speed. (6 out of 10)

Fold ability:
Excellent. Couldn't be better in my mind. The pin design is excellent. Well built and solid. (9 out of 10)

Weight:
Very light. I weighed mine on an old analog meat scale at 9 pounds on the dot. (9 out of 10)

Comfort of riding:

Well, here is where I talk about the draw backs of a narrow, short deck. I would say the deck is a little narrower and shorter than I would like. The deck width is 4.5 inches which isn't wide enough to really accommodate both feet. If you put your one foot all the way to the front of the deck and a little on the front frame, you can turn your back foot to the side and place it behind your front foot. It takes some skill to switch kick feet. A wider, longer deck would be better in this case. My feet are small for my size, so a normal size foot would be cramped (5 out of 10)

The brakes:

This would a flawm but for the price, I don't know what one could expect. The brake is engaged by stepping on a spring loaded back fender that applies pressure directly to the outside surface of the back wheel. It doesn't so much stop you as slow you down. It is a little awkward holding one foot on the back fender and standing on one foot going down hills. I would have liked even a rear hand brake better. (2 out of 10)

Summary:

For the price, I don't think you can go wrong. If money isn't and object, I would go for the highly rated Xootr products. I would like a wider, longer deck and hand brake, but the fold ability of this scooter is actually better than the much pricier Xootr brand. The spring loaded folding/lock pin is fantastic engineering and good quality.

When you get the scooter read the simple instructions that come with it and adjust the set screw in the folding mechanism. It will insure a jitter free, solid ride.

For what I want this for, I am not willing to spend upwards of 200.00, so I feel I got my money worth on this purchase. I am not dissatisfied in any respect.(7 out of 10)

I made a video showing some mods I made to my A5 on Youtube. To watch them, go to Youtube, and type in "themarkfellows" in the search field. You will see which one is about the scooter.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Ride, June 30, 2013
Nikkie (Savannah, GA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razor A5 Lux Scooter (Sports)
Bought this for my hubby (age 65) so he could keep up with his 4 year old twin grandsons on their razors. A scooter was his favorite toy when he was a child himself and he looks just like a kid when riding it -- big grin, wind blown hair. Seriously, the big wheels, strong handles, and light weight make it perfect for adult males to ride. He's not a slim Jim either but it's plenty sturdy for a grown man to feel comfortable. Terrific purchase -- would recommend highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good commute ride, September 4, 2009
Scott (Westborough MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razor A5 Lux Scooter (Sports)
I bought this scooter to use to get to and from public transit.
It works great for that purpose, with surprisingly good ability to absorb sidewalk bumps.

A previous reviewer mentioned the wheels feeling like they were out-of-round. I think the actual effect is that the wheel flexes as a pair of the 5 spokes aligns with the ground like this /\. I don't notice the effect as much at high speeds or on asphalt, but at low speed on smooth concrete it's more noticeable. There's very little variation at the rolling surface of the wheel when it spins in the air.

Like other reviewers, I find this machine likes to glide a long time; I can really cover some ground when I take good long strides. The two feet side by side works for me [...]
It allows me to easily swap which foot I push while at full speed without upsetting the balance of the scooter.

I agree with other reviewers that this scooter needs a substantial amount of stopping distance at full speed.
My 5-year old daughter loves the handling of this scooter (as do I). I think I'll be getting her one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad Points, October 2, 2009
This review is from: Razor A5 Lux Scooter (Sports)
One of the reasons I chose this model is I was tired of fearing for my life, that at any moment I'd hit a stone and like Superman fly through the air, but without the invulnerability. The small wheels of other models were my kyptonite. This model helped solve that problem as I have not flown since.

I have though noticed some draw backs. First thing that is evident is there is room only for one foot on the stand. Well that doesn't bother me too much as I can either dangle my foot or lightly rest my foot on the brake in the ready position.

The thing that really got me is the large wheel in the back. If you get off on one side and then try to cross walk over to the other side you can bang your toe pretty good which I have done several times. Well with attention this can be avoided but it is similar to having to watch for little rocks but just not as often.

The other thing I noticed was the short span on the handle bars. At first this seemed annoying but actually I got used to it and actually enjoyed the hug like feeling. However if you were overweight this would be a big hindrance.

Finally the last problem I notice just the other day I had switched to wearing jeans because the fall is coming on strong. You would not think this would be a big problem with a scooter but actually something quite embarrassing happened. I got my jeans caught in the break in mid stride and had to waddle myself to the other side of the road to work them free.

Over all this is not bad for the money but a far from perfect design. I'm certain there are better scooters out there but you have to shell out a couple of hundred instead of just 80. For my purposes its works. Maybe in the future I'll consider and upgrade.

Razor A5 Lux Scooter