Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Razor RipStik Ripster (Blue)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Color: Blue|Change

on January 15, 2008
While trying to decide between the original Ripstick and the Wave for my 12 yr. old son, I found the "newer" Ripster. I read reviews of how these were lighter weight and you could do tricks more easily. Of course, that caught my attention and I'm glad I purchased this one. This has been one of his favorite and most used Christmas gifts. He was able to take off after the first few tries and was really good after a day or two. His older brother, 17, also picked it up quickly and uses it frequently. I recently heard a friend comment on how much lighter this was than the original Ripstick. I am thoroughly pleased with my purchase (although I see they are now cheaper than when I bought) and would highly recommend this.
11 comment|177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 13, 2010
After much review/research of caster boards, I chose the ripstick ripster for my nephews 10th birthday. The original ripstick reviews and the "wave board" brand original caster boards were noted for being much larger and heavier with wider stance on the boards and for younger children they would not have the weight and maneuverability as the smaller ripstik ripster (not to mention the cost is $40-$65 more than the $65 ripster). I am so glad I chose the ripster, it arrived within the alloted number of days for shipping and it was/is his favorite present. Immediately the kids all went outside and began to ride it. My daughter (also 10 yrs old) loved it so much, she used her own money and bought one a couple days later. Whenever we go on walks in town, my daughter uses her ripster! Highly recommended and sturdy, although be prepared to spend a few hours learning to ride it...the kids seem to be able to pick it up quicker than the adults though! If you are buying for an older child or an adult, buy the original ripstick as it goes to 220 lbs compared to the 175 lbs of the ripster and is longer. I would say as you approach 125lbs the original/larger size might work better. GREAT invention!!Razor RipStik Ripster
on April 18, 2008
I bought the RipStik Ripster for my 7 year old and he just loves it. He had a little practice with his brother's ripstik but he says that the ripster is much easier for him to ride. The size is just perfect for him.

I hope this helps.
0Comment|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2008
We were unsure what kind of board we will buy for our son. (8years old) At the end we decided to buy the ripster. I am very happy that we went with it. The WAVE or Ripstik are bigger. Especially the Wave (Street Surfing) board is very hard und big. The Ripster is very flexible and smooth to ride. We allready bought a second one to have even more fun.
on June 9, 2012
I'm not a little kid like most of the people who use this thing, but I do happen to have short legs. I can ride a regular ripstik just fine, but it's really difficult to do tricks on, especially for someone with short legs. However, one of my friends happened to have a shorter ripstik, so I tried it out and it was very easy to adjust to since I already knew how to ride a regular ripstik. I'm still waiting for my ripster to get to my house, but since I have already ridden one with ease, I can say that this is a great skateboard, but for those unfamiliar with ripstiks or similar casterboards, there IS a learning curve. To be honest, I can't even remember how many times I fell or ran into something before I got the hang of the original ripstik, but once I got used to it, I found myself able to maintain my balance and stay on for hours without letting my feet touch the ground. Anyway, the main reason I ordered the ripster is because the original ripstik is difficult to do tricks on, as it is hard to easily change positions on something that big. I find that with a shorter board, it will be easier to get my foot to the edge of the board to do a trick such as the manual, or to get both feet on one side to do a hang 9 or hang 10. Another reason is that when I tried this board out for the first time, I noticed that it was a lot easier to propel than the original ripstik and it causes a lot less strain on one's legs. I still love riding my older ripstik, but I honestly think this one will be better for tricks and such. I would definitely recommend it for little kids or people like me with shorter legs. I hope this review was helpful! :)
on April 4, 2013
The first time I ever saw a caster board was April 2013 when one of my college classmates came into class on her original red RipStik. Within eight hours, I was walking out of Target with a blue RipStik Ripster in hand. (Amazon is amazing, but I was willing to spend an extra $20 to have it in-hand - or under foot - right away.) I didn't practice much when I got it because I live in Chicago and it was still snowing then.

Unlike many RipStik riders, I DON'T have a skateboarding history. Well, I guess I do, but it ended the day it started almost twelve years ago with a trip to the ER and a broken tooth. What I'm trying to say is that I started RipStiking with no experience and the fear of death in me. I started practicing again a couple of days ago, and it took just a couple of hours to be able to ride the thing. So far, I've had one minor fall. For me, the best place to practice has been at local tennis courts because of the smooth surface and stuff to grab onto. The length of the court/fence also helps; when I started practicing in April, I was using the bike rack on my car to hold on to, and it's hard to get any real practice if you don't have enough space to work with. I hold onto the chain link fence to get on the board, and I can ride along the fence in case I lose my balance or start going too fast for my current level. I'm still a little nervous about pushing off and stepping onto the board, and I'm just starting to practice turns.

RIPSTER vs. ORIGINAL RIPSTIK:
-Follow the weight limits. The Ripster is for people under 175 pounds, and the original RipStik is for people up to 220. Not knowing this, I weighed 190 when I bought the Ripster, and a little more now - and the extra weight makes it much harder to move. I have now been on both and can tell you that the original moved a lot easier under my weight.

-If you have big feet, get the RipStik because the nose and tail are wider. I'm only a women's 8.5 (for men, this is a 6.5) and my feet hang off the front and back of the deck, making it harder for me to consistently find a normal foot placement and often making it harder to maneuver the board and remain balanced.

-I'm a 5'2", and I was worried about the original RipStik (which is 7-8 inches longer than the Ripster) requiring too wide a stance; I thought it would feel like doing the splits. After having been on both, I'd say that if you're taller than 5'2" you might actually prefer the original; my brother, who's about 5'8 looks REALLY uncomfortable on it and has trouble working with it.

Basically, if you're big in any direction - weight, height, or shoe size - get the RipStik. If you're petite, you can probably pull it off with the Ripster. Now that I know some of the basics and what it's like to actually ride both, I have ordered (through Amazon this time) the original RipStik.
on May 27, 2014
This is not easy to ride. The first couple of times could be the last if you're not careful; it is a slight trick to get going on it - the fact that this even rolls baffles me but once you ride it for a week or two, it is a total blast and highly addictive. it is easy to get the hang of it quickly. That said though. most kids wont ride it (Have had 7, 8, 9, 10, 12 and 14 yr olds all say no thanks to the offer to try it) so if buying for a present, i would only buy it for someone who already rides a skateboard, otherwise it will sit in the corner collecting dust.

IMHO Could use some faster bearings in the wheels for more speed and smoother takeoff. I would recommend this to anyone looking for skateboarding-like fun and a little challenge.
VINE VOICEon April 29, 2008
My 12 year old twins (boy/girl) love this Ripster. They decided on the Ripster over the full size because the reviews said the Ripster is easier to use. It took a little time & multiple falls, but they both have the hang of it & run outside to play with this thing. Kids (mostly boys) over for a b-day party played on it too. All said they prefer the Ripster (11-12 year olds).
on April 29, 2009
If you like the regular RipStik, you'll love the Ripster.
It's lighter so it's easier to carry. It has a shorter wheelbase so it's
way more maneuverable. End result...more fun with less effort.
on January 15, 2016
My son and daughter (16,14) received these for Christmas and love them. With our Wisconsin winter they did not get much time on them as they would have liked but they have room in the basement and got some use out of them before spring. They got the hang of it and love them. Now that the snow has melted and it is a bit warmer outside, they are enjoying them a little more. I see kids at school with these all the time as well. A great way to get them outside and getting some physical activity.