Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Green|Change

on January 13, 2016
What a tremendous upgrade from the Razor A1 scooter that my daughter has been riding for the past 2 years. I wish I would have researched ahead of time originally because I probably never would have purchased the A1 and would have instead gone straight to the A3. The A1 if you are not familiar is what I would call the entry-level model from Razor. It is not a bad scooter, and may be fine for younger children to start with (under age 7). It is more compact and lighter in weight overall, which can help new riders get the hang of things, but the smaller dimensions and lighter weight come with disadvantages. The wheels are almost half the size as those on the A3 (see pictures) and this creates quite a problem if there is any kind of bump or crack in a sidewalk as the wheel is likely to get caught and can leave your child facedown on the pavement very quickly. Over time the handle bars became misaligned as well from repeated falls and drops onto the ground, and they got to the point where I could not keep the front wheel straight because of this.

So I decided to get my daughter who is now approaching age 10 the Razor A3 scooter, and I am glad that I did. First of all there is a price difference, and while there are sales and deals at times, the difference between the two scooters averages about $20-$25, so if you aren't ready to spend close to $50 this isn't for you. I say that it is worth the price. The scooter weighs a little bit more, and just feels stronger overall. The handlebars extend higher, which allows taller riders to use it with ease. The deck is wider and longer (see pictures) which creates a more stable platform to ride on. As I've stated the wheel size is significantly different, and the bigger wheels on the A3 allow for a MUCH smoother ride. It can take on bumps and cracks in the pavement or sidewalk without issues. It also allows the rider to go faster and farther without having to push as much. The kickbar over the back wheel is a nice added touch if your child is able to actually do "tricks". My daughter is not able to do anything in terms of tricks, but has found that the kickbar is a great place to put her back/pushing foot when she is riding that also gives her easy access to the brake (which is the metal covering over the back wheel).

I firmly believe that the A3 could be purchased for even younger children as the handlebar height is adjustable, and it would be easy to adjust to their height as they get older. I have attached pictures for comparison between the original A1 and the new A3 (A1 is pink, A3 is blue). I hope that my thoughts and pictures will help you when making a choice for your child.
review image review image review image review image
on September 26, 2006
This Razor A3 scooter is a great step up from the inexpensive, less robust scooters you'll find in many stores. Very strong: my 11-year-old weighs about 100 pounds and it has easily absorbed use and abuse from him and his friends for months.

The large wheels are a great feature, as is a neat adjustment which you can use to keep the handle secure to the base without rattling. The hand grips are very comfortable, and are also the part most likely to wear first, but they are easy to replace if you ever need to.
33 comments|135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2012
Although the typical college student is above the 143 pound weight limit, after hundreds of miles of getting around my college campus (in which a lot of the riding surface is uneven brick), the A3 retains its smooth ride. It's perfect for the student who can't afford a bicycle, but still wants to shorten their commute from dorm to class. In fact, it's probably safer than a skateboard or longboard because it has a brake and much more control of direction, which is essential when traversing in high foot traffic areas. One of my favorite transportation products!
33 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2012
I was debating whether to get my 5 year old son the A2 or A3 and did a fair amount of research. I am so glad I spent the extra 10 bucks or so to get the A3. The wheels are better, smoother, faster ride, and the deck is noticeably bigger than A2 and A1. The scooter is great, my son loves to ride it (and so do I)!!!
0Comment|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2007
I bought this for my [...] year old son to replace his old razor scooter. My son isn't the most coordinated of children and wasn't able to glide much on his old scooter. This one looks very close to the old scooter but it is much easier for him to glide and keep his balance. The wheels are bigger and there are some other minor adjustments that help and it doesn't look like a toddler razor at all. Hope this helps
0Comment|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2012
I'm an adult, I don't care! This thing is awesome. I have been using my scooter for a week now, to go to the grocery store, and to work. It cuts my commute time from 40 mins to 20 mins. Likewise with getting to the grocery store, 20 mins to 10 mins, so it has reduced travel time by %50 when compared to walking. I am 5' 6", and I was concerned the scooter would be hard to control because of it's light weight; I was also concerned it would irritate my shoulder because I presumed I would be hunched over, holding onto handle bars that where a few inches to short. On the contrary, this has not been an issue at all, and not only is it comfortable to use (when the terrain is right) but it is an incredible cardio work out! The handle bars reach the bend of my waist, long enough for me to stand with good posture, and still hold firmly to the handles. I used to have a Razor Scooter when they where new and all the craze when I was a kid, but now I'm a 24 and I must admit, getting this new scooter for my self does make me feel like a kid again... a very big out of shape kid. I know it might be strange seeing a Lady Librarian scoot through the city in office attire, but I'm saving on emissions, saving money on gas, saving time from walking, and getting a better work out than I had before. P.S. My commute is exactly 1.4 miles one way, just to give you a sense of how far I go in 20 minutes, factoring in cross walks, I could go further in 20 minutes if I didn't have to stop and wait 2 or 3 times for traffic. P.P.S. Unit paving is a pain, I have to pass over a couple of brick pavements, and it slows my roll a little bit. The shock doesn't absorb a thing that I can tell, but I have nothing to compare it to except my car. Still... GLAD I TOOK THE RISK. I love my green scooter. -^__^-
on February 17, 2007
Bought it for daughter's Christmas gift. She loves it. Cool color. Adjustable height is useful for her short height. She is very proud with it. Bigger wheels gives a bit more stability.
on May 30, 2012
Pros:

1) More comfortable than the A1 due to larger wheels
2) Faster than the A1, also due to larger wheels
3) Takes bumps + cracks MUCH better than the A1. I feel like the 125mm wheels are the bare minimum for real world use and comfort requirement

Cons:

1) Heavier than the A1. Not by a lot and not enough to be unwieldy, but enough to just be noticeable when collapsed and being carried around.
2) Larger than the A1 when collapsed. The stepboard is larger and can't be "compacted" further, so no surprises here. It's just large enough to wish it was smaller, but not annoyingly large.
3) "Only" more comfortable than the A1 by.....if I had to put a number on it, maybe 30%? Significant, and the A1 ride was just annoying to me, so this works.

Overall, I'm happy with the build and glad I didn't go for the cruiser, which would be beyond what I would consider to be comfortable and portable to carry around as a commuter.

*edit*

Been over a year now. Reliability holding up just fine, nothing to complain about.
22 comments|71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2006
I purchased this scooter for my 6-year old's birthday. It has been a huge hit. She previously had a 3-wheeled scooter also by Razor that just didn't move fast enough. The only problem is that all the neighbor kids and her 3 year-old sister want to ride it so much that she doesn't get to ride it as much as she wants. It is solidly built and has a very smooth ride.
on September 19, 2008
Yes, Iam 69 and just love riding my little red scooter. It's easy to fold up and put back in my car and it's steady to ride on.