Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Razor V-17 Youth Multi-Sport Helmet (Satin Pink)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: Satin Pink|Change

on September 11, 2009
Parents, this helmet is worth every penny. My son escaped critical, if not fatal injury thanks to this helmet. Long story short, my 10 year old was moving along at about 15 mph on his electric scooter when a younger child ran in front of him. While avoiding the child, he lost control of his scooter, hit a curb, flipped over the handle bars and smashed his head on the trailer hitch of a parked truck. The point of impact was on the lower back of his head where many helmets do not cover. Thanks to the design of this helmet, it absorbed the brunt of the impact. While he did suffer a serious concussion, it could have ended tragically had it not been for the extra protection this helmet provided. I'd not hesitate to recommend this helmet to other parents. Having said that, whichever helmet you decide to purchase, make sure it protects the entire head!
88 comments| 475 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2009
Sept 2, 2009
You saved my son's Life
On August 31st my 10-year-old son, named Quincy, was racing down a hill on his bicycle. As he came to bottom of the hill there was a stop sign but he was riding to fast to yield to the oncoming vehicle. Within seconds, he and a small truck collided. As he hit the tuck, putting a 6 inch dent in the front fender, he was then thrown into the windshield and fell to the ground unconscious. Overall, the accident caused a mild concussion, a lot of bruises and abrasions and a broken right arm. Thankfully an abdominal CT showed no internal injuries.
After going to the ER by ambulance we were discharged and returned home. Before leaving the hospital parking lot, I thought I would take a moment and look at his helmet. Oddly, there was a wrinkle across the back of his helmet. I showed it to the ER doctor and he stated that without the safety the helmet my son would have had some level of head trauma. Wow, what a miracle!
I quickly recalled, that only about 6 weeks earlier, I purchased two Razor V-17 helmets--one for him and another for his older brother. At the time I was only going to buy one for his older brother but I remember having a distinct impression to buy one for him also. I am so grateful I did. I would like to thank Razor for the safety that their helmet gave my son. My small boy's life could have been changed forever. I am so grateful for the people that have engineered the helmet he wore that day. Thank you, Thank you, with all my heart.

Sincerely,
Kay C, Quincy's Father.
66 comments| 351 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The June 2015 issue of Consumer Reports has ratings of adult and youth bike helmets. Of the 7 youth helmets tested, the Razor V17 was tied for 5th place with a score of 35. The problem areas appeared to be ventilation and fit adjustments, both rated "poor," as well as a weight of 0.98 pounds (heavier than the other 6 tested helmets at 0.57-0.74 pounds). CR's online notes on the Razor include "Has nonlocking side slides. No side-to-side strap adjustment. ... No occipital stabilizer. ..."

In contrast, the Bontrager Solstice Youth helmet (not sold at Amazon) was rated highest at 80. Among other pluses, its ventilation was rated good and its fit adjustments excellent. Its weight is 0.57 pounds. CR's online notes on the Bontrager include: "Damage replacement program. ... Has occipital height adjustment and a ratchet-style occipital fit adjustment." (The Schwinn Thrasher Youth, rated 2nd with a score of 67, is available at Amazon.)

Despite CR's low ratings of the Razor helmet, it may be satisfactory for your child. Unless the weather is hot and the ride lengthy, ventilation may not be a big issue. Although I did not receive any extra foam pieces for fitting the helmet, you can purchase "Replacement Foam Helmet Pads Universal Kit Bicycle Cycling Skating." Our child has not complained that the helmet is too heavy. Finally, as noted in other reviews, the Razor extends slightly farther downward in the back (the occipital area) than some other helmets, which may be important. Overall, three stars for quality, and add a half star for low price.
on February 15, 2007
Well made, with a comfortable fit. My daughter tells me the comfort is many times better than a standard bicycle helmet. The chin straps are easy to clip and unclip, yet remain very secure while in use. I definately recommend this product !
on April 5, 2007
We purchased two helmets for our granddaughters to wear while using their electric scooters. They are quite pretty, with the satin finish. They fit both girls well; ages 10 and 12. They must be comfortable because they wear them every time without reminding. We are pleased with the purchase.
on December 23, 2011
First off, you'll see from several other reviews that this is a nice produce for a very fair price.

Pros
-Solid construction and good materials
-Amazon price
-Nice polished metallic look without being overly pink

Cons
-Amazon product description is misleading stating that it meets 5 year design, when in fact you'll find this product is for 8+.

Now more on the 8+, if you have a child with a larger than normal head then a 7 year old would be good. Remember it doesn't matter how tall or heavy your child is, it's just the size of her head. Therefore, your child could be 6 or 7 and this will fit her fine, however if they have a smaller than normal head they can fit in this until they are 9 or 10 easily.
on April 25, 2007
Bought this for my 7 year old daughter's birthday, along with a Razor scooter. No trouble getting her to wear helmet. Much nicer & more comfortable than similar priced bicycle helmets at dept. stores.
on July 28, 2011
This is NOT for 5 years and up as the description indicates. Packaging that arrived with helmet states for 8 years and up. It is WAY TOO BIG for my 6 1/2 year daughter. Don't have time to order another as skateboard camp starts on Monday. Very frustrating. However, the helmet itself appears to be great quality and looks great. amazon should update the description.
55 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 7, 2008
fits snug, there is an extra foam piece that helps the helmet fit snugger since my son is only 10 yrs old.
on November 14, 2014
Can't rate regarding actual quality of helmet as of yet; I am writing this to clarify something about the size. My 10 year-old son's body size (height) is well above-average. His head doesn't look small (it is the same size as mine) but perhaps it is in comparison to others his age. His head measures 21" and this helmet is clearly too big, even with the thicker padding. I called the company, Kent International, and they clarified that the Child Helmet goes from 21 1/2" - 22 1/2", while the Youth Helmet (for which I am writing this review) goes from 22 1/2" - 23 1/2". Had I known that I would have ordered the Child size. I don't understand the reviews on here that claim this helmet fits children as young as 4; I certainly hope people understand how a helmet should properly fit to actually be effective. And I hope Amazon fixes their description to help people order the correct size. Helmet fit has to be based on head size, not age.