4.0 out of 5 stars Built for fun, just be careful.
I bought an E100 from Amazon for my 7-year-old son about 45 days ago. I can tell you that only rain and wet roads have prevented him from riding it daily!

Published on August 17, 2010 by Feliz NashvilleDad

1.0 out of 5 stars Parts Game - do you want to play?
Published on August 21, 2008 by Beer Budget

4.0 out of 5 stars Built for fun, just be careful., August 17, 2010

At first, my wife and I questioned my judgment in buying it for him. The first time he got on it, he lost control of it had a bad-looking crash. He hopped up unharmed though, so we gave him some time to learn. Every day since then, I have found him being diligent to charge it and eager to ride it.

So, here's my list of pros and cons.

Pros:
1. The battery lasts a good hour of uphill/downhill riding.
2. The large, pneumatic tire up front makes quick work of bumps and rocks.
3. The wide standing surface allows for his feet to be together, side-by-side, if he wants.
4. The scooter is sturdy and solid.
5. The handlebars and shaft can be separated from the body for transport.
6. It's quick enough for fun, but not so fast as to be dangerous.
7. It ships in two pieces: Handlbars/shaft assembly and the main body. Attaching the two pieces is all the assembling that's necessary.

Cons:
1. The brake is insufficient. It will eventually stop the scooter, but don't let your kid(s) rely on it. Teach them to steer out of situations and release the throttle. It will not stop my 9-year-old (65 lbs) son when he's rolling down our slightly sloped driveway. Of course, the effectiveness of the brake is directly proportional to the strength of the rider's grip, but the gripping power of kids in this age group is probably less than what this scooter-brake combo needs.
2. The rear wheel is like one on a regular Razor scooter - solid and slick. This works well on most dry surfaces, but be careful because it can and will slide in more situations than a grooved, rubber tire would.
3. The drive chain attaches on right side of the back wheel, and it has a cover over it. That sounds like it should be a good thing, but the cover is actually so large that it prevents most right turns. If you turn more than just a little to the right, the cover will make contact with the road, and the back wheel will lose contact with the road.

Notes:
1. There is an on/off switch on the battery.
2. The motor engages after the scooter reaches 3 mph.
3. The manual recommends charging the scooter for 12-18 hrs.
4. The scooter is heavy enough to render it useless without the motor. Don't expect that your kid will continue to use it as a push scooter when the battery dies.
5. The scooter did NOT ship in plain packaging. It shipped in just the scooter box. It was for my son's birthday, and the surprise was nearly spoiled when delivery came.

Summary:

This scooter is a good buy for the money, and so long as you are aware of the issues that come with it, it will make for a fun toy. My son still tells me that this scooter is the best present he has ever received! If you have the money to get the 200 or 300, I would recommend doing so as long as you're comfortable with the increased speed/power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Entry Level Electric Scooter!, March 13, 2011
I purchased this scooter for my daughter's 8th birthday, and she LOVES it! She was so excited when she opened it, and, now months later, she continues to want to ride it almost daily.

I researched and compared the E100 scooter with the higher-end models (E200 and E300) and finally decided on the E100 due to its much lower price (I got it when it dropped down to ninety bucks, but it's still an excellent deal @ one hundred dollars.) and the fact that my daughter just turned 8 and I was worried the other models might be too powerful for her.

The main differences between the models are:

+ Top Speed: E100 - 10 mph; E200 - 12 mph; E300 - 15 mph

+ Maximum Rider Weight: E100 - 120 lbs; E200 - 154 lbs; E300 - 220 lbs (The construction of the E100 is very sturdy and will support more weight, but the less powerful motor will not propel you very fast.)

+ Start Mechanism: E100 - Requires push start before motor engages; E200 and E300 will engage motor from a stand-still

+ Recommended Age: E100 - 8 and up; E200 and E300 - 13 and up

+ Tires: E100 - 8" inflatable tire on front, 4.9" polyurethane rear wheel; E200 - 8" inflatable tires; E300 - 10" extra wide inflatable tires

After comparing all the specs and prices, I decided the E100 would fit our needs perfectly. My daughter was able to master riding it immediately, and she has not had any accidents or injuries while enjoying her new ride. The scooter does need an initial push to get going, but usually one good push will do the trick, so I don't really see it as an inconvenience.

After seeing how much fun my daughter has on her scooter, a friend was considering purchasing one for her young sons (4 and 5), but an attempt at a test drive proved the scooter may be too powerful for riders that young. This is mostly due to the single small complaint I have about the design: the twist grip accelerator has only one speed, so the initial start can give a bit of a jolt. Nothing too serious, but a variable speed motor would have made for a slightly smoother ride.

In our experience, you can get up to an hour of run time from a single charge, and a depleted battery pack can be fully recharged within 8 hours.

We performed a speed test using an Android app called My Tracks on my GPS-enabled Droid X smartphone, and with her riding it on level ground (she weighs approximately 65 lbs) the scooter reached a max speed of 10.82 mph. The same test with me riding the scooter (I weigh approximately 135 lbs) saw a max speed of 8.63 mph. It was still fun for me to ride.

Overall I am very satisfied with the quality and value of the Razor E100 Electric Scooter, and I would highly recommend it to anyone seeking an electric scooter for their favorite 8-12 year old. :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Parts Game - do you want to play?, August 21, 2008
Here's my experience with this scooter: I bought it for my 8 yo daughter. It worked for exactly 1 minute and then the motor wouldn't turn anymore. The box says "Don't return to the store. Call the manufacturer and we'll take care of you". So I called Razor. The customer service lady had me go through the motion of "troubleshooting" the problem. She concluded "It's very common, the battery died because these things sit on the shelf too long, I'll send you new batteries." Two weeks later, the batteries arrived. It was not a trivial task to replace them. You have to disassemble the entire deck of the scooter and induced wear and tear on the screws and mounts. Charged it back up and guess what - NO GO. Called Razor for the second time. The customer service lady had me go through the motion of "troubleshooting" the problem. She now concluded "Oh, it's the wiring assembly to the batteries that's faulty. I will send you a new wiring kit." Two weeks later, the kit arrived. The same painful procedure to disassemble the scooter and install the wiring kit. More wear and tear on the screws. Charged it back up and guess what - NO GO. Called Razor for the third time. The customer service lady had me go through the motion of "troubleshooting" the problem. She now concluded "Oh, it's the fuse assembly that's faulty. I will send you a new one." Two weeks later, the fuse arrived. The same painful procedure to disassemble the scooter and install the fuse. More wear and tear on the screws. Charged it back up and guess what - NO GO. Called Razor for the fourth time. The customer service lady had me go through the motion of "troubleshooting" the problem. She now concluded "Oh, it must be the battery charger. I will send you a new one." Two weeks later, the new charger arrived. Charged it back up and guess what - NO GO. By now, I was convinced that the motor is fried and there's no fixing that. Called Razor for the fifth time. The customer service lady had me go through the motion of "troubleshooting" the problem. She now got all upset like it's my problem that nothing has worked. She suggested I take it to a lawn & garden shop to have a technician "look at it" at my expense. So here's the moral of the story: Razor will play the "parts game" with you to death until your return deadline with Amazon runs out. So, if your scooter doesn't work, send it back to Amazon ASAP. Do not pass GO and absolutely do not call Razor or your're SCREWED!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little Scoot . ., November 4, 2006
Ronald Tucker (coldwater, michigan United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my 8 year old. This has been a joy of his for quite a few months. It runs well, peppy and the battery seems to hold up for a very long riding period. He has had times in excess of 1 hr. riding around the house and driveway.

The only thing which is minor that annoys me is that when you corner very sharply the chain protector drags the pavement. No damage is done but it seems this part of the scooter should be higher off the ground.

Overly recommended for children of appropriate ages. Get your child one, they and you will not regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Holding up well - nephew loved it!, May 22, 2006
Bought this for my nephew who just turned 6. - I was concerned with it beinig too fast, it's just right. he transitioned from push version to this in seconds!

Quality so far seems great, only area that could be better is the chain guard. - if he takes corners a little too tight, the guard gets scratched on the pavement. - Rear wheels should be a little bigger.

Otherwise, worth the $

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product, July 8, 2006
A Kid's Review
This product is amazing!. I am 12 and weigh 81 pounds. I rode it for 3.5 hours straight. It is amazing battery power. I think ten miles per hour is a lot even though you can get 15 miles per hour it is still pretty fast. I rate it 5 stars because it is fun, educational, and yet, long lasting. Thank you Razor!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Fun , Fun, December 1, 2007
This review is from: Razor E100 Electric Scooter (Sports)
We purchased this scooter for my daughter's 8th birthday and it was by far her favorite gift. The key is to assemble it (takes about 15 minutes) and then charge the battery (takes 12 hours the first time) so that when they get the gift, they can actually use it. The only reason I didn't rate this five stars is because when she's riding it, there's sometimes a strange rattling sound coming from underneath close to the battery compartment (doesn't sound like a normal hum of the scooter) and I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the long-term function of the scooter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, August 15, 2007
I bought this for my 8 year-old son and he absolutely loves it. He goes a bit faster than I would like him to, but he really enjoys it. This one 'kick starts' and I definitely prefer this with a child his age. Now I just need to keep his father off it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!, July 12, 2014
My daughter loves this scooter! Our first attempt was to buy a cheaper version at a discount dept store which failed miserably. We took it back the next day! The Razor scooter we purchased even though it cost $40 more than the discount dept store version, it was worth it, the construction is a lot more sturdy and the materials are not plastic as the other. We had the scooter within a week, no issues and my daughter flies through the neighborhood very proud of it! I will get a picture of it later today and upload it as I know we would have liked to see some closer detailed pictures before purchasing but it really is a well built scooter. My daughter isn't too rough on her items so we can only state from our experience that it is a solid made scooter and the first one we purchased at the discount store would probably be broken by now.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only lasted 1 year, August 11, 2009
This was the first electric scooter that I bought for my kids. It worked great and did everything that I expected at first, but after about a year, the batteries stopped holding a charge. Since it will cost about $40 + shipping to replace the batteries, I've decided to upgrade to a bigger/faster model, but beware that the lifespan on the batteries are limited however you can extend the life of the batteries if you only charge them once per full use so you don't create a "memory" effect and limit the average run time.

For instance, my son would always keep it on the charger 24/7 and might use the scooter for 10-15 min, then eventually the batteries would only hold a charge for 10-15 min instead of the usual 45 min when they were new. You must completely run down the batteries before re-charging them, and also take special care to NOT overcharge them.

I've since bought a float charger that will automatically lower the charge current to a trickle once the batteries have been fully charged so I don't have to worry about causing damage. I feel that Razor needs to step up and provide a smarter solution!

Mechanically, I'd give the scooter 5 stars if not for the severe deficiency in the battery lifespan.

Razor E100 Electric Scooter (Pink)
$159.99 $99.99