Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on October 5, 2012
The problem with covers is that the bands covering it need to be better than the original or inject something original. The Rush tributes like 'Working Man' are the worst examples of how this goes wrong - the musicians are totally competent, but the covers are soulless (perhaps because they're not used to working with each other) and certainly no better than the original, so why bother?

That said, on this tribute album most of the artists are extremely talented, mesh well, and are obviously having fun. In general I just have a blast listening to this even though I've endlessly listened to a huge quantity of the live CDs and bootlegs. This is my favorite studio Purple album, and both 'Lazy' and 'Maybe I'm a Leo' are in contention for my favorite songs of all time, so I think I've got some fairly high standards here.

Standouts for me are Sanata doing 'Smoke on the Water', Chickenfoot and Steve Vai on 'Highway Star', Hughes on 'Maybe I'm a Leo', and especially Joe Bonmassa on 'Lazy'. I'd never heard of this guy before, but I can feel the passion on 'Lazy', which is perhaps my favorite Purple song on my favorite album, so I'm definitely going to give his other stuff a listen.

Slightly disappointing are Iron Maiden on 'Highway Star' (I like them in general, but it really feels like they're phoning it in) and Flaming Lips on 'Smoke on the Water'. I like the Flaming Lips, especially 'Yoshimi' in Quadraphonic, and I technically I can appreciate this cover, but this is a fun high energy CD and then this song just completely kills the momentum halfway through. Everyone's having a blast doing their favorite Machine Head tracks, and this just clinically dissects their most popular song. It's completely out of place. If anything, it should be a bonus track at the end.

So, in the end, while I can endlessly listen to studio and live versions of Blackmore, Glover, Gillan, Lord, and Paice it's refreshing to hear other excellent bands have fun with my favorite album of all time. Just a few missteps keep this from five stars, but if you love the original it is completely worth the ninebux.
44 comments|11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2012
***This review is intended for the Classic Rock Fan Pack magazine / cd released in UK 08/31/2012, this review will also appear on the stand alone CD release of 09/25/2012***

I usually splurge on all the Classic Rock Magazine fan pack releases, and this one is once again top of the line. The magazine is filled with new interviews and old interviews from all persons involved with making Machine Head, even the late Jon Lord is interviewed, eerily giving the magazine his last interview before his passing. Also all contributors to the tribute cd released with the magazine talk about how important and influential Machine Head was on them and their career into music. Extended Purple family Glenn Hughes, Steve Vai (his connection to David Coverdale from the Whitesnake Days), and many others get extended interview pages, as well as Metallica and Iron Maiden. As for the CD itself, well it's a mixed bag really. The best songs on the CD are without a doubt with Glenn Hughes on vocals. Himself being a part of Deep Purple from another time, to hear him tackle Maybe I'm a Leo and Highway Star is spine tingling. His vocals are dynamite on these songs, for a man 60 years old can he sing! The Highway Star track with Glenn Hughes also features some outer-worldly guitar sonics from Mr. Steve Vai, very cool all around. Coincidentally, there are 2 versions of Highway Star, and while I just discussed the bonus version included on the Classic Rock version, the other version features Chickenfoot, albeit a live version of the song, but featuring Joe Satriani nonetheless. While not as sonically smoking as the Hughes/Vai studio version, it rocks well. Other tribute standouts include Aussie Jimmy Barnes and Smokin' Joe Bonamassa on Lazy, Zakk Wylde's BLS on Pictures of Home, and Metallica covering When a Blind Man Cries (similar mood to Turn the Page). Iron Maiden tackles Space Truckin', and it's nothing spectacular, but the real disappointment with this tribute, is with the 2 covers of Smoke on the Water. They not only botched one of the most iconic songs / riffs ever known to guitar, but it's botched twice here on this tribute CD. Santana / Jacoby Shaddix is just lifted off of Santana's own Guitar Heaven cd, so it's not even original to this tribute, and then The Flaming Lips version, is just out of place. While I understand the diversity needed on tribute albums sometimes, the band and their version of Smoke just has no place here amongst titans like Maiden, Chickenfoot, and Metallica. On a more alternative sounding tribute it would be better suited, and I like their version that it is different, again it just doesn't fit the hard rock / metal vibe here. While I should dock 1 star for this, I won't because the magazine is truly monumental just as the album was first released 40 years ago. The CD is a nice bonus, and while much of it does shine, the (2) Smoke track tributes are inexcusable. Please don't let that deter you from purchasing this though, any fan of Deep Purple, or the Classic Rock magazine and especially fan pack series will get much to enjoy out of this.
55 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2012
This year marks the 40th anniversary of the release of this landmark album and in recognition of the influence of the band, and of Machine Head in particular, some of rock music's biggest names have each contributed a version of their favorite track on the album to create Re-Machined - A Tribute To Deep Purple's Machine Head.

Re-Machined features specially recorded tracks from Jimmy Barnes & Joe Bonamassa, Black Label Society, Chickenfoot, former Deep Purple Mk III member Glenn Hughes with Chad Smith of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Iron Maiden, the "supergroup" Kings Of Chaos (featuring Joe Elliott, Steve Stevens, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum), Metallica, Carlos Santana & Jacoby Shaddix and Steve Vai.

There are two wildly differing versions of the album's most famous track Smoke On The Water, one from guitar hero Carlos Santana with vocals by Jacoby Shaddix and one from alternative rockers Flaming Lips, and Metallica have contributed their own special take on When A Blind Man Cries, a track recorded at the Machine Head sessions but originally released as the B-side to Never Before.

Iron Maiden's Space Truckin' cover was actually recorded back in 2006. Lead singer Bruce Dickinson explains, "Initially we didn't think we'd be able to contribute anything due to our touring commitments. Then we remembered Space Truckin which we'd recorded as a single B-side during our A Matter Of Life And Death album session, but never used. However now, thanks to Kevin Shirley's remixing skills, we're able to include it on Re-Machined".

Initially released as a limited edition Classic Rock "fanpack" on September 3, this is a truly unique release that will appeal to rock fans everywhere.

Boomerocity.com
on October 27, 2012
Of all the tribute albums of the last twenty years,this is by far the best! I would have given it 5 stars,except for two cuts. I'm sure Jon Lord is spinning in his grave after hearing the Flaming Lips version of "Smoke On The Water"! It sounds like someone just learning how to play keyboard on a $20 unit!
And how does an iconinc band like Iron Maiden manage to not sound like themselves!While their version of "Space Trucking" is awesome,I had to look to see who was doing it!
All in all,a great album,just watch out for the Flaming Lips cut!
on December 23, 2012
There is no way that Flaming Lips should ever be associated with Deep Purple in this or any other world - I'm not even certain they should be allowed to do their own music, they are so bad. Some decent material on this CD, but the recording quality is very bad and with some of the bands, I expected much more than I received. Yet another reason why I will never purchase a tribute album ever again.
66 comments|7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2013
this is a pretty good tribute album,
i think because of the amount of anticipation there was for this album, i was a little bit disapointed.
IF I COULD CHANGE ANYTHING, it would be to TAKE OFF THE FLAMING LIPS COVER
i have seen the flaming lips live and not bad i thought but i do think their cover of smoke on the water is a shame to deep purple. i think it's one of the worst songs i've heard in my life.
also, i was hoping the chickenfoot cover was gonna be a studio song
i saw the live performance of highway star and was looking forward to this on cd
and i listened to it and went oh this sounds familiar -_-
...now the metallica and iron maiden covers are fantastic. if you like the bands, you will be very impressed, especially the metallica cover of "when a blind man cries". so much emotion and it gets me excited for an upcoming 2014 new metallica album if they sounded this good on the tribute album.

also i love the santana and steve vai's tribute to this album, so much talent

overall, i did really enjoy this album, and if you like deep purple or the bands that covered the songs, then you'll probably like it. there are just some things that didn't make this "perfect" for me i guess.
but i'm happy i bought it
on November 7, 2013
.Excellent bands doing some excellent versions of the Greatest Band that defined hard rock. Even Sammy got in on the action. The flaming lips....ehhh i had to by pass their version. to freaking weird.
on January 12, 2013
I bought this CD because I'm a big fan of the original Machine Head Album and like nost of the groups who perform on this tribute album. I have to say that even the bands I didn't know or don't particularly like did an EXCELLENT job paying tribute to one of rock's most iconic band-Deep Purple. Check it out-you won't be let down.
on December 10, 2012
Most "tributes" to bands are just average, however in this case this is the best tribute CD I think I have ever heard. Chickenfoot does an outstanding version of Highway Star and Glenn Hughes is awesome.
on February 11, 2013
It is what it is. I bought this with interest awhile ago, since I've been a huge fan of Deep Purple since '72. So.... I've had plenty of time to digest this album, I found it interesting at first but not something I am going to play often, I would much rather listen to the Roger Glover remixed version of the original on the 40th Anniversary Deluxe edition. The one exception here though is Chickenfoot's live rendition of "Highway Star". A killer version, I don't know how Joe fills in the Jon Lord solo's but he does. I listen to this everyday in the car. Check out the video of this online. The members of Black Country Communion, Metallica and Steve Vai give good performances too. But, if I was going to make a tribute to a classic hard masterpiece such as Machine Head, I think I would have enlisted the likes of some of the big names in modern hard rock such as Soundgarden, Godsmack, Shinedown, Disturbed etc.......... I bet the outcome would have been better.