How To Reach 300Mbps? I tried to copy and paste a file from one computer to another computer with this router. The fastest I could get was a little bit more than 2 megabyte/sec. Line Quality was 55%. Signal Strength was 65%. Noise Level was 100%.

The router is set to Mix Mode w/ G and N. My computers are set to N only.
2mb * 8 byte is about 16Mbps. not even close to the G speed.

I don't have to put the router right next to the computers to get the speed, do I?
[UPDATED] asked by bz on June 29, 2011
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 answers
A
Does not have to do with getting the router closer to one or another, If your talking about "wireless" then let me tell you something, you must have an N adapter on both pc's or laptops for N connectivity, why? well most laptops only have G wireless cards prebuilt and PC's for the most part don't have a wireless adapter, except for IMAC's which are not pc's lol. Were do you get this? easy there's 2 choices, buy a USB N wireless adapter for both pc's or laptops, they are pretty tiny and do the perfect job, what's the catch? well there's 2 model's one for wireless N of 150Mbps and one of 300 Mbps, in this case 300 Mbps will cost you the extra dollar because when N came out it was first supported to use 150 Mbps and then it reached 300 for 2.4GHZ, and NOW 450Mbps for 5GHZ, if you want to use 450 Mbps then you need a new wireless router that supports 450Mbps in 5GHz FREQUENCY AND A USB ADAPTER THAT USES 5GHZ for 450mbps.

150Mbps adapter AirLink101 AWLL5088 Wireless N 150 Ultra Mini USB Adapter

300 Mbps adapter Belkin F7D2102 N300 Micro Wireless N USB Adapter

remember there are lot's of brands, you choose the best for your case, i only gave you two of the best per price USB adapter's available.
Amazon Customer answered on September 17, 2011
Comment | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
one way is to change the MHz if possible from 20 to 40 then you will get the 300 and also you have to have better signal strength to achieve that speed
VS2929 answered on September 15, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I understand that there IS a distance limitation; but it is 20 ft (7 m) or more.
David LaGrone answered on March 1, 2013
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›