4.0 out of 5 stars The Four Tops - Reach Out, June 16, 2011
This review is from: Four Tops (Audio CD)
You will rarely approach with such trepidation the four songs on here that aren't recognisable. Because, for anyone familiar with Four Tops greatest hits collections, eight of these songs are not only instantly recognisable, but are flat out excellent.

The Four Tops had one of the best in-house song-writing teams of the 60's, I don't have to name them, and obviously had one of the best production teams going around as well. Although being very flirtatious with arrangements, it's all tasteful. The medieval/baroque flavour of 'Seven rooms of gloom' just enhanced the song no end, while the eerie use of woodwinds on Bernadette and the spine-tingling 'Reach Out' just makes it all the more memorable.

'Walk Away Renee' is an emotionally charged song that still resonates today (it was covered in the late 90's by a female singer, can't remember, but can't forget those lyrics "Your name and mine inside a heart on a wall, still finds a way to haunt me, though there so small" Timeless stuff) and what about a harpsichord driven version of 'If I were a carpenter'? Remains a classic to this day, actually you'd probably think this was the first version, I rarely hear any others on the radio.

And 'Standing in the shadows' are other great hits that aren't quite as well known, including the completely hummable 'I'll turn to stone', or an almost operatic version of 'Cherish', which I think blitz's the original!

With so many 60's albums the hits are the highlights and the other tracks can be quite a disappointment. So the four unknowns here, two Monkees covers, as well as 'Wonderful Baby' and 'What else is there to do?' could ruin the proceedings. After all, who needs 4 weaker tracks on any album, let alone one chock-full of classics?

Well, they hold up well enough. The arranging of 'Last Train to Clarksville' isn't that well-realised, but it's a worthy, exciting version, and a vaguely tepid version of 'I'm a believer' doesn't hurt proceedings much. Only 'Wonderful Baby' is a true miss, it's overwrought emotion, while a common occurence in Four Tops land, just seems unconvincing. Musically it's a failed attempt at something like 'The Legend of Xanadu', (even if it proceeds that song). So, for 'Reach Out', the Four Tops get though the non-hits phase 'alright', not too bad.

Given the wealth of quality material on 'Reach Out', it's probably worth four stars; **** And comes highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars music, December 1, 2010
Marfa Realla (El Paso,Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reach Out I'll Be There (Audio CD)
I liked several of the songs an of course "Reach Out, I'll be There" is the best. No problems with delivery or arriving on time either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reach Out - Four Tops, September 29, 2013
This review is from: Reach Out (Audio CD)
I have been "Tops" fan since the 60's, and have their Greatest hits,in vynal, cassette, and CD, I getting this for the two little known songs "Wonderful Baby" and "What Else is There To Do?" which I have liked since a bought the album in 1962, I was 12.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Reach Out [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
I haven't received this yet but I'm reviewing a bunch of products so I might as well review it. Very good everything.

Reach Out
Reach Out by The Four Tops (Audio CD - 1992)