Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

Reached (Matched Trilogy Book 3)
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$11.60+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 26, 2012
I was excited for this trilogy. Really. Until this book came out--and I grew bored with it all after the first chapter. After two books of build up to a climax, we get nothing! No Society collapsing, no rebellion, nothing but a plague that wipes out a ton of people. And the entire book is spent trying to find a cure..very slowly. Poetry is thrown in like before and there is a philosophical debate about relationships but mostly it was about who is the Pilot over and over. By the time the book was ending I could care less if Cassia died or married whoever just so long as the whole thing was over with. Boring and a waste of a great idea.
on November 20, 2012
I loved Matched - Crossed was just about 3-stars for me, and I had so badly wanted Reached to be a mind-blowing conclusion. Alas, the whole book is a boring, meandering, poetry infested long-way (as opposed to shortcut) towards an inconclusive, but somewhat okay ending.

Reached scatters all three main characters - Cassia, Ky & Xander in different directions doing different things to bring up the Rising. Cassia is sorting for the Society (secretly working for the Rising), Ky is working as pilot with Indie for "THE PILOT" (who's leading the Rising) and Xander is working as a Physic in society (also a Rising rebel). When the actual Rising does happen, it's kind of anticlimactic (won't spoil it for you). To cap it all, let's just say that there's a Plague within society walls & our 3 main leads have to find a cure for it.

For majority of the book, Ky & Cassia are far far away from each other. The author tries to inject romance into the insipidly boring tale through poetry, but this only annoys after the first 10, 20, 30 poems... If I wanted to read poems, I'd borrow a poetry book.

It's a massive disappointment. Only read if you desperately want to know how it ends, like I did. I skipped a lot of it & skim-read most of the book. Still took me 3 whole days to make myself finish it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 16, 2012
Reached is the third in the Matched trilogy. In this final installment, Condie will answer most of those pesky questions the reader has been asking and explanations to the mysteries of the Society and Rising. Happy days are ahead!

To be quite honest, I was underwhelmed with the first half of the book; it was slow and I had a difficult time getting into it. I don't know what's going on with some of the authors lately, but there seems to be a lot of unnecessary and boring fluff going around. For example, remember in Crossed when Cassia reads a note from Xander stating he has a secret he wants to tell her in person? Condie drags this out for a long time, even after both Cassia and the reader have figure out what the secret is. Then I started to think there was a huge, surprise revelation in the making because surely the author would not drag out something so insignificant. Prepare yourself for disappointment. Bad editor!

Then there is the letter Cassia writes to Xander with her own confession. The confession is at the end of the letter, which, of course, is damaged and unreadable. So right when Xander gets to the important part, WHAM- it's gone. I tell you, Ky may have been victimized by the Society, but Xander takes a beating from the writing- the author's that is.

Things did start to get exciting when Condie finally starts revealing those answers and explanations I mentioned earlier. I have to say, the connection between the Society and Rising is genius, although very Matrix-like. I thought it was awesome and just the right amount creepy.

Now to the whole Otherlands issue, which always remains mysterious- Does it really exist? Is it so wonderful that no one ever wants to come back, even to tell the others? Or is it all a fantasy and everyone who goes there dies while trying to find it? I could go on with all the possibilities, but I won't. Neither will Condie for that matter. For those of us oldsters, it is very reminiscent of Logan's Run.

And then the whole love story thing kind of fixes itself a little too easily. Any competition or complication is quickly remedied or killed off. I'm glad Cassia ends up with who she does, but she should suffer a little bit over her decision. Wrapping things up in a nice neat package and giving her an easy out is overly unrealistic. I guess I have to keep in mind that we are talking about a book geared toward teenagers and some authors underestimate the intelligence of this particular audience. I think it does a disservice to young adults to assume they want to end the story with all flowers and bunnies.

Condie did a really good job of bringing everything together in the end. There were some good "[Luke], I am your father" moments, which makes me wonder how the author does this. Does the author design a flow chart of characters ahead of time and make the story match? Or does the author write the first book with no idea where it is going, the book becomes a huge success and now she has to figure out how to tie everything together? Did she plant a seemingly insignificant detail in the first book with the full intent of using it as a spectacular revelation with far reaching consequences, or was it an afterthought? With a series, I would think there are a lot of pages and time in between books to mess things up, but with Reached, the author really did deliver a believable connection between characters and details in the end.

Unfortunately, I thought the first part of the final scene was a bit cliché, especially with what is going on at the time of its release. In addition, Condie leaves room for another sequel or, more likely, a spinoff. Don't be surprised if you see more books come out dealing with rebuilding Society, a new rebellion with Xander as the leader or a freakish Brave New World in the Otherlands. They could work.
on December 20, 2012
i loved matched, crossed i had to force myself to finish, and i don't even know why i suffered through this one... i don't know how to explain how much i did not enjoy reading this book with out writing spoilers. i also feel like after reading the Ugly Series my taste for dystopian novels has changed. i feel like they are all a play off of one another and find my self guessing the conclusion before it happens based on similar books i have read. i was disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 23, 2013
I'll start by saying that one of the things I think is most overlooked throughout Ally Condie's "Matched" trilogy is the beautifully lyrical quality of her prose. It is fluid and poetic. While it's difficult not to rush through the book to reach the next plot twist, there are greater rewards in pausing and just appreciating her language. And I am referring to the bulk of her prose, not just the occasional poem (though I've always had a keen fondness for Dylan Thomas!).

I found "Reached" to be the strongest of the three books. While several developments were easy to call before they happened (which I won't name here, so as NOT to spoil the story for you!), there were still a few surprises that I didn't predict.

I appreciated that the chapters were written from each of the three main characters' points of view: Cassia has matured, and is more determined than ever to find, or perhaps create, some justice in the world and find a place where she can love whomever she chooses. Ky is forced along a path that he would not otherwise have chosen, because of his love for Cassia. And we finally hear from Xander. I felt his personality as written didn't quite match what we'd observed from the first two books; it could have been that Condie couldn't quite find his voice, but I choose to believe it's because he hasn't had his own voice until now -- we've only seen Xander through Cassia's and Ky's eyes. And at this point in the story, he is older, has experienced disappointed and rejection, and may have become resigned and perhaps a bit jaded.

The themes of this book continue to expand on those raised in Matched and Crossed: balancing romantic love against the love for and safety of your family; searching for social justice in an unjust world; finding your own voice and individuality after years of repression and conformation. I think some of these same themes may apply to our lives today.

I was fully satisfied by the ending of this story/trilogy. I'll be watching eagerly for Ms. Condie's next novel!
on November 20, 2012
(Sorry if I spoiled some, but not much)
This was not the best ending I've ever seen. For me this was a slow and kinda boring book. I loved the first book MATCHED, but CROSSED and REACHED did not live up to the first book! I loved CROSSED but not as much as MATCHED.

I was not pleased with this last book because there was poetry, but no passion. Cassia and Ky don't really show their love to each other, and there is not much love triangle drama like before. Xander just kind of accepts that Cassia loves Ky and doesn't do anything.

Some of the Society vs. the Rising was confusing. Where did the society go? It was like it just disappeared!I read books in a day if I like them, but this took all week. I kinda forced myself to read it to get it over with. This ending was not as great as as I anticipated, but at least the first book was good, right?
on November 20, 2012
I'm really disappointed in this book. I absolutely loved matched! So much I couldn't wait to move on in the trilogy. Crossed was not as good but still entertaining, and then reached came out. I just got done reading it and I'm left with an awful feeling of wasting hours of my life because nothing really happens. The conflicts didn't pull me in at all, I wasn't even sad when some of the more prominent characters died because the other characters didn't even seem sad, or mourn at all. What I'm most disappointed about however is the fact that every book that comes out deviates less and less from a love story. Cassia doesn't seem passionate about either boy during this entire book. Sure she doesn't want to leave Ky in the infirmary alone, but I also wouldn't want to leave a friend alone either, and that's what I felt overwhelmingly, that both Ky and Xander were just he really good friends. Considering she never kissed Ky during this entire book. And their reunion was filled with no excitement...just a yeah, we're in the same ship. Everything is ok. And the way the love triangle was resolved was just too easy, it was all just dull. There was no extreme emotions in the entirety of this book.
on March 5, 2013
None of the big questions were answered and Ky and Cassia were just plain boring. The character that comes off the best is Xander.

MILD SPOILERS AHEAD:

I had so many questions - how did it get established, who was the Enemy, what lay beyond the borders of Society?
And we got not a single answer to any of these questions.
Instead, the plot focused almost solely on an entirely new element – the plague.

The plague and it's ramifications were interesting, but might have been better introduced earlier, like in book 2.

Other things that annoyed me:
- Ky, Xander and Cassia constantly get moved around in arbitrary fashion to serve the plot (were these three really the BEST solution to finding a cure?)

– So many developments depended on lucky coincidence with little or no logical explanation.

- Indie. Just how many times did Cassia have to recall Indie carrying that damn wasp nest around? The way she went on about it you would think the two were life-long bffs instead of uneasy friends who only came together because of circumstance.

- The Pilot. Complete waste of time.

– No romantic tension between Ky and Cassia whatsoever. Their 'painful' separation really didn't move me.
on February 15, 2013
This series has been incredibly spotty for me. I didn't really like Matched, but some weird reason I went ahead and read Crossed. The weirdest part is that I actually really thought that was a great example of what to do in a second book of a trilogy. I was beyond excited to pick up Reached. Here's my biggest problem with this entire series. . . I HATE Cassia. I really do. It's hard to be invested in her because I think she is flighty, dense and somehow remains incredibly naive despite all of the crazy things she goes through. Xander though? I really, really like him. I was thrilled every time a Xander chapter came up. Xander chapters were intense and full of plot development. Cassia's were fluff that I just wanted to rip out and Ky. . .wait, who was Ky again? Kidding. He is just not memorable to me in the slightest and I don't even slightly understand the Ky appeal.

Overall this book wasn't terrible but it also wasn't anyway near all that I had hoped it would be. If you like Xander even just a little bit then you should read Reached. If not, then you really aren't missing out.
on January 10, 2014
The first book in this series is quite good, Crossed the sequel was a let down and this conclusion to the trilogy is only slightly better than the second. Better because it ends. I read these books over the course of a week and it still felt longer than that.
What made the first book interesting was the inside view of the dystopian society. Crossed moves away from it- and is a really long narrative that could be cut down by half and be better. Reached almost comes back and you catch of glimpse of what could be, but instead you end reading about the boring search for a cure.
Also useless "will they won't they" concerning the love triangle, when is painfully obvious from the beginning who Cassia is going to choose. Leaving you only to wonder what will happen to Xander.
More poetry than one can stand.
The tragedy in this series is the possibilities. It could've been a great trilogy but it fails to excite. I usually love Ally Condie's work but this was a disappointment. On both the writer and the editor. It could've been cut shorter and been even better, because then at least it would've been more bearable to read. I feel I've wasted hours of my life reading the sequels.