5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a personal narrative from Buzz Aldrin to children!
Today, I was priviledged to read, for the first time, the very autographed copy of this book presented to my school library this past Friday from the astronaut himself. Dr. Aldrin is the school namesake and school advocate who visits us from time to time to show his support.

Published on May 31, 2005 by Linda A. Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong age range listed
The age range for this book is listed on the cover as 6-9 and not 9-12.
Published on December 20, 2006 by S. Edmiston

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a personal narrative from Buzz Aldrin to children!, May 31, 2005

For the past several years, my students have gone away from the library disappointed because I didn't have any books written at the elementary level by Buzz Aldrin. No more! Coupled with the outstanding illustrations by Wendell Minor, this personal account of Aldrin from his childhood years to the preparation and completion of that infamous voyage is certainly worth the wait. The informative narrative is written at a level that reaches its target audience of children at elementary school age. Aldrin's mantra is that, if you believe in something strongly enough, and you are willing to dedicate yourself to achieving that goal, then, anything is possible. In this book he effectively conveys this message to the young reader.

My special thanks to Mr. Minor for convincing Dr. Aldrin to leave us this special legacy. Of the two first astonauts to walk on the moon, he is the only one to leave his story to children. I am so grateful that he has chosen to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and Inspiring, January 6, 2006
Walter Mitty "wmitty2166" (The Upper West Side (of New Jersey)) - See all my reviews
One of the greatest joys of this parenthood has been watching my four-year-old daughter come to understand that this is a true story, that men actually traveled to the moon and walked on its surface. Even though the moon landings were something I grew up with, the story grows more powerful with each retelling. It is one of her favorites and one of mine as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Kids Book, September 10, 2005
We Love This Book ! With the space shuttle being on the news so much, my 4 year old daughter became interested in space. We got this book for her and now she wants us to read it every night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes you are remembered for being second, December 15, 2005
Edwin Eugene "Buzz" Aldrin, Jr. was the second man to walk on the moon when he followed Neil Armstrong on July 16, 1969, while Michael Collins circled the moon in the Apollo 11 spacecraft. In "Reaching for the Moon," Aldrin tells the story of his life that led up to walking on the moon, taking key episodes from his life and presenting them as life lessons to his young readers, such as sinking in a lake because he would not let go of a bucket of rocks he had collected ("I knew that if something was important to you, you had to hold on"). Aldrin also shows how various things in his life foreshadowed what he would do on the moon (e.g., his mother's maiden name was Moon and his first airplane flight was in a small plane painted to look like an eagle).

The book follows Aldrin from his childhood and playing sports in school to graduating from West Point and joining the Air Force. After flying combat missions in the Korean War, Aldrin applied to the astronaut program and was not accepted until the second time he tried. The number two also comes up when Aldrin's first space flight was a Gemini mission. The description of the Apollo 11 mission is quite straightforward and Aldrin emphasizes the importance of what they were doing without every talking about how it came to be that he was the second man on the moon instead of the first (the reasoning was actually quite simple: Armstrong was a civilian, Aldrin was still in the military, and the U.S. government did not want a soldier to be the first person on the moon). Everybody remembers Armstrong's first words on the moon, but Aldrin recalls his own apt description of the moon as "Magnificent desolation."

Aldrin's narrative ends with the plaque that he and Armstrong left on the moon and ends with a message promoting space exploration to his readers. Aldrin does not touch on the depression and alcoholism he had to contend with after leaving NASA and which he detailed in his autobiography "Return to Earth." But you cannot fault Aldrin for his choice of perspective in this book. In his dedication Aldrin calls the original astronauts explorers of the Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo missions to be the first generation of space explorers. The second generation would be those flying shuttle missions to the space station, while the third generation of future space explorers would be the young students who read this book. The paintings in "Reaching for the Moon" are by Wendell Minor, and older readers will note that in the two-page painting of the George Washington Bridge below the bridge on the New York City side is the little red lighthouse of children's book fame.

4.0 out of 5 stars narrative, November 13, 2010
Stephen Pellerine (In a bookshelf somewhere) - See all my reviews
Good narrative of Buzz and I do see the views shared buy the rating of 1 that this is a "me, me me" book, but this may interestingly a strength of the book for young readers (and writers) as they can read "I" a thousand times again - and for very young kids they will not pick up on this egocentricness. I think it is a great read for children due to the overuse of "I" - in how this will help a child develop linguistically, but then as they get older yes we need to be conscious and curve them away.

I do not have a background in aerospace and see the read as a good one - and would probably not recommend this for a 1 year old. I think it is aimed at a crowd slightly older than that (say starting at 4-6 and upwards to 8-10) - not that I have anything against exposing young minds to interesting ideas early on.

If your child is an beginning reader and has an interest in space, or adventure, give it a go. If you are a teacher attempting to teach narrative writing to young children - give it a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter Loves this Book, February 24, 2006
Miles (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
My 2.5 year old daughter loves this book. I read it to her a few times a week. It is just the right lenght for her to fall asleep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basically a bio on Aldrin. It's good., August 5, 2014
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Paperback)
It's good. I like it. My four year old daughter has sat through a couple of readings already and it seems to hold her attention. It's basically a bio on Buzz Aldrin. It ends with his 1969 moonwalk with Neil Armstrong. He salutes the American flag for the photo op. The book outlines his goal to becoming an astronaut, how he got there through sports, determination, attending West Point, his military career ( not my thing ) and university education. He fails his first attempt at joining the astronaut program but tries again, and is accepted. It's a brilliant message on tenacity. Aldrin is a shameless self-promoter, and there is nothing wrong with it. It's 60s Americana in all its glory. The art is good, but a bit retro. The pace is pretty good. It feels a bit shorter and leaner than his other children's book on Mars. Hope to keep reading this one to the kids for a while. If your little ones are into space and astronauts get it. I recommend it. Four stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Few books my Kindergarden actually likes., May 22, 2014
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Paperback)
We read this book in our homeschool to end our year of U.S. history. I love this book and I can say out of all the books we've read this year, this is on the top of my list to make sure we read again. My fidgety son sat through the entire book and listened to every word! I definitely recommend this to anyone interested in introducing space, the moon, astronauts, or Buzz Aldrin to their smaller children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, March 9, 2013
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Paperback)
His book is inspiring because a man that his dad was not with him for months and he still conquer his dreams. When he was young he went to a military school, there was when he heard about a program to go to the moon. He was interested immediately and he decided to volunteer in the program. Few years later he accomplish his dream. He made it to the moon and that moment he learn that if you really love something you should hold on.
This review was written by a second grader from Pittsburgh, PA. She wants also to go to the moon.

5.0 out of 5 stars I didn't expect inspiration,, August 19, 2009
This review is from: Reaching for the Moon (Paperback)
but that is what I got. This is a truly good read. Thank you, Buzz Aldrin.
Barbara

Reaching for the Moon
Reaching for the Moon by Buzz Aldrin (Paperback - May 20, 2008)
$6.99 $6.29