5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!
Published 22 months ago by mrngstar

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time or money!
This scanner is obsolete and can not even be up dated. I hooked our A4 Audi up to it and it would not even connect up to most of the "CAN" network. Don't waste your money on this and find a good scanner or a "real" VAGCOM software.
Published 20 months ago by Porke69

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!, October 2, 2012
This review is from: Car Code Reader Scanner VW/AUDI SCAN TOOL MAXSCAN VAG405 VAG 405 OBD II OBD 2 EOBD2 (Automotive)
I had an airbag maintenance indicator (idiot) light in our 2006 VW beetle. The local auto place scanned it for free but said they would not clear the code and that they would charge $75 for a full diagnostic scan. The dealer wanted $113 and then of course repair parts and labor if I elected to pursue repair. Bought this little gem and actually couldn't believe how fast it shipped and arrived on the selected free super savings shipping. As soon as I got it I unpackaged it. The unit was packaged well and looks great. I was anxious to test it out so after a quick scan through the instructions I was off and running in under 10 minutes. I read the code then googled it and found out that it could be caused by the rapid movement of the passenger seat if moved within 10 seconds of turning the ignition key which is exactly what occurred a few weeks ago when we had stopped to get mail at our mailbox shifting the seat for additional leg room for some boxes we had received. The scanner allowed me to reset the code and it hasn't and doesn't appear to ever be coming back. So what I anticipated was going to be a big diagnostic and repair bill vanished in no time flat. Color me impressed as this is one sweet little diagnostics tool for what I consider a very reasonable price

5.0 out of 5 stars VAG READER, September 25, 2012
You need this reader to clear codes. You can unhook the battery , but that will not clear the stored codes in your ECU. They will reappear in time. This is a very valuable tool to use. Well worth the cost. If you use a generic code reader that is not a VAG reader you will only read generic codes for OBD II systems. This reads Volkswagen codes specific to Volkswagen products. A VAG reader is the only way to permanently clear the codes.I am a mechanic and trust me you will be chasing pink elephants unless you get this diagnostic code reader. This will save you the cost of guessing at what sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time or money!, December 18, 2012
Porke69 (Lebanon, TN United States) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Product feature misrepresented, October 19, 2012
Read before you buy - Product feature misrepresented.
This model cannot be up-graded on the internet. No customer support for this model.
I bought the Autel / Maxscan VAG405 scanner (made in China circa 2005) because I thought I could use it on my 2004 Jetta and up-grade it on the internet for use on my 2007 Jetta. After I paid for the product I tried to up-grade it on the internet and I could not. I contacted the Amazon Seller Rep (who was very helpful) and he checked around for help and he said it could not be up-graged even though the packaging and product description said it could be up-graded. There are two email addresses for Autel given in the instruction booklet. Support@auteltech.com and Support@autel.us. The phone number for Autel.us is (613) 923-2620.
I tried to e-mail China. No answer for over 1 month. I e-mailed USA. No answer for 11 days. So I called them (USA). They said there is no support for this model. Also tried Contact@Autel.us. That worked but no support.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not read my Engine Light code properly, September 8, 2013
I have an Audi S5 and had and Engine Light that this scanner could not read. I got a message that said "00870-168 CAN BUS DTC definitions not found! Please refer to vehicle service manual!"... I checked the Auteltech.com web site and it was useless. So what's the point of ordering this product if it can't tell me what my Engine Light fault means and there's no support??? This is a useless POS and I would avoid buying it... Beware... waste of my time... Also, the item did not arrive in two days even though I have Amazon Prime - it arrived a day late.... WTF am I paying for??? I returned it

Update: I sent Autel an e-mail and they responded with the following:

"Thanks for your recent inquiry.

VAG405 is a very old model, so your car, 2010 Audi, may not be included. "

So Amazon is selling this "very old model" and saying it works with all Audis. That's quite misleading and a huge waste of my time. Now I have to spend time returning this item which was falsly described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like it says it does, July 28, 2013
This code reader does everything it says it does on my '04 A4. I had an air bag light on and it gave me a fault code that the scanners at your local parts store cannot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does everything it advertises it does, April 23, 2013
It sucks when a vehicle manufacturer makes it so that you need a special reader to read their codes. I already have a code reader, and yes, it will read the VW's basic engine codes, but you need a special VAG reader to read VW and Audi codes.
We purchased a used 2002 Cabrio earlier this year and soon after we purchased it, it threw a check engine light...go figure, right?
Not wanting to chase ghosts with my generic code reader, I purchased this (for less than what I paid for my generic code reader which I got at Harbor Freight no less). I plugged it in and found 3 codes. One for an evap leak, one for an ABS sensor and one for the radio lost power.
The evap leak turned out to be the gas cap...replaced it with one in my junk box...thank goodness VW decided to use a generic gas cap configuration. The ABS sensor was just dirt and crud on the sensor and the radio...well, yeah...it lost power at the dealership when we said we wanted a new battery.
This thing reads all the codes...from the Radio to the internal lighting. And resets them too! Plus, it will dump the firmware for each vehicle system so that you can determine if you need to get anything updated.
The only thing I wish this did is show live data while the engine is running. But that's a more expensive device. For what it is, it is perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, April 6, 2014
I used this on my 2000 VW golf to clear my air bag light and it did. The light never came back on, was due to me shifting the seat a lot which cause the seat belt connector to come loose a little. I don't have any problems with this product in spite the negative comment that some people made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome works better than described, March 31, 2014
STEPHEN ELLINGTON (HENDERSON, NC United States) - See all my reviews
this will get your vw out of safe mode if you were having tranny problems I had a mal func sensor I couldn't track down and it kept throwing our 02 vw passsat into safe mode and this canceled the safe mode just erase the codes and we were set car runs fine now good product

5.0 out of 5 stars Car Code Reader Scanner VW/AUDI SCAN TOOL MAXSCAN VAG405 VAG 405 OBD II OBD..., February 18, 2014
I love this product very much. it helped me a lot before i pass CA smog test. i would recommned to have this toy available if your pony is Audi or VW. Thank you guys!

Rate and Discover Movies