4.0 out of 5 stars Humor is back

2.0 out of 5 stars Problem receiving when wireless off
Published on July 21, 2010 by Ann Rule

4.0 out of 5 stars Humor is back, April 29, 2008
This review is from: Reader's Digest (Kindle Edition)
For all those that complained that the Reader's Digest left out the humor in its Kindle version, I just purchased mine and looks like they heard the cries and have added it in. I found the "Humor in Uniform", "Life in these United States", etc. I love reading these in the RD and I'm happy to see the Kindle edition has them. Articles contained pictures which I also found worthwhile. All in all, I found the RD rather nice on the Kindle and will continue to subscribe.

2.0 out of 5 stars Problem receiving when wireless off, July 21, 2010
This review is from: Reader's Digest (Kindle Edition)
I have always ejoyed Reader's Digest. I even had a paper subscription before I bought my Kindle. I did not receive an issue on my kindle. When I called Amazon to inquire I was suprised to learn that if Whispernet (wireless) is turned off Reader's Digest will only try to deliver for 5 days and it will then skip the entire issue but still bill you. This review is just a heads up for all you subscribers! Never leave your Whispernet off for more than a few days. Also there is currently no way to retrieve the issue once it is missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, no Ads!, December 7, 2007
Legalsea (Fort Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reader's Digest (Kindle Edition)
I'm well old enough to remember when the Reader's Digest did not have advertising (it began accepting ads in the 1970s). I quit buying Reader's Digest because it seemed to contain nothing but advertising, and was difficult to find articles. The Kindle edition of Reader's Digest solves that problem nicely. No ads. Just the articles and regular features.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time I've finished it in years!, January 20, 2008
Kathryn (Antelope, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reader's Digest (Kindle Edition)
I have subscribed to the Reader's Digest for years. This is the first time I've finished it in years. The content has never been the problem. Like most magazines, the annoyances have been wading through ads to find the articles, and then leaving a trail of subscription postcards throughout the house, each time I turn a page ... and then there are those ads that are stiff like postcard material, but which are not meant to be ripped out and preclude easily holding open the magazine. That might sound like a short and petty list of annoyances, but it was enough to make me reach for something else to read. I mean, let's face it, the information in Reader's Digest is not earth shattering; it isn't anything I can't get on the Internet or from another magazine. So, if it isn't easy to read, it's just not going to get done. With the Kindle, the problem has been solved. I love that I can read the articles without the annoyances.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Read Format, December 14, 2007
This review is from: Reader's Digest (Kindle Edition)
I recently subscribed to this Kindle version of the Readers Digest. Overall, the Kindle version is a good format for this specific magazine given its highly textual nature. It was easy to go through the table of contents and pick out articles I wanted to read. It probably will save you a little time over the printed version and you can store back copies in an easy accessible location.

3.0 out of 5 stars Monthly versus issue billing???, July 22, 2010
This review is from: Reader's Digest (Kindle Edition)
The physical edition bills for 10 issues per year. the Kindle edition bills monthly but only delivers the same 10 issues per year! That means that some months you will see a monthly billing on your Kindle but not receive a readers Digest Edition for that month. This is confusing and needs to be adjusted to a per edition billing or an annual billing with a clear indication (there is no indication of this that I could find now!) that the annual price covers only 10 editions annually. Definitely needs clarification!

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging material, with graphics that stand out, August 6, 2008
This review is from: Reader's Digest (Kindle Edition)
Can't say I've subscribed yet, but I have picked up an occasional issue of Reader's Digest on the Kindle. It's a good mix of light feature pieces (an entertaining profile of actor Pierce Brosnan was a good read) and long, detailed investigative articles (good one on the airline industry in the same issue). You also get actual captioned cartoons (a rarity on the Kindle!) and other fun elements.

You also get another bonus. If there's one criticism I have of Kindle blogs and magazines, it's visual sameness. The New York Times looks like Newsweek which looks like The Philadelphia Inquirer, etc. But Reader's Digest on the Kindle looks like, well... Reader's Digest. You get the sharp, catchy graphics of the print edition (with the headline and sub-headlines of a story often embedded within the main photo just like in the regular magazine), and other pieces of visual flair- like the cartoons mentioned earlier- carried over from the magazine, too. I guess it's a small point (as content is really the most important thing), but it's nice seeing a Kindle magazine that looks truly different from other Kindle magazines. With luck this will be the beginning of a trend.

But, yeah, give an issue a shot. Even if you usually read weightier fare on your Kindle, you may just find the content and visual flair of Reader's Digest on the Kindle to be an occasional refreshing change.

Note: Amazon frequently updates the presentation and functionality of Kindle blogs and periodicals, so as this review gets older, it may no longer accurately describe the current version of this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars price increase!!!!, February 6, 2011
loveamazon (Van Nuys, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reader's Digest (Kindle Edition)
they just raised the price from $1.25 to $1.49 per month ~ for 10 issues.

i wrote to them last month and they said it was $15 per year which is 12 x $1.25. since then they raised the price to $18 per year in one month!

at this rate it will cost a fortune soon!

i am cancelling and getting the hard copy price paper version. which is $15 for two years!

shame on you RD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Informative, July 23, 2008
This review is from: Reader's Digest (Kindle Edition)
Honestly, I hadn't picked up a Reader's Digest since I was a kid reading WWII dated ones at my Grandma's house back in the 70's. I have always associated them as 'old folks' reading, although we used to grab them to read at her house!

Given a free sample on my Kindle I soon found myself engrossed in stories, information and puzzles that I thoroughly enjoyed. The graphics, photos and comics showed up surprisingly clearly (better than most blogs on the Kindle) and the formatting worked nicely.

I'll keep the subscription, it's great for little snippets of reading.

Karen in Colorado

1.0 out of 5 stars No Humor in Uniform!, February 14, 2008
D. Onkka (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reader's Digest (Kindle Edition)
I have always enjoyed the little bits of humor at the end of each article, and the various humor sections - like "Humor in Uniform". I have cancelled my subscription because these little gems are totally missing from the Kindle edition!

Reader's Digest