Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Reading Lists for Coll Bound Students, 3 (Reading Lists for College-Bound Students)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 30, 1998
As soon as my college prep and Advanced Placement English students start complaining about "ALL" the reading we have in my class, I break out this little gem and read a couple examples from among the 103 representative college and university lists contained within its pages. The book also offers the high school student a reading program with the goal of reading 100 books from among the lists by the time they enter college. It is a sensible plan with a simple form to chart one's progress. This book has a place in every college prep classroom and on every college hopeful's bookshelf.
on January 24, 2000
Many different universities and colleges provided the author with the names of works they recommend or use in first-year English classes. I remember seeing the first edition of this book when I was in high school and falling madly in love with it. Unfortunately, it was at the public library and someone lost it a month after I checked it out. I am an obsessive list-maker and this adds fuel to the fire of my two passions, lists and literature. Not all the books listed in here are predictable, canonical works, either. I'm surprised how many are out-of-print, making the search for great reading material even more fun. One gripe: no comprehensive index. I may just make my own.
on April 1, 1999
This book was written by my high school english teachers. It was published and I purchased it years after I graduated from college. I'm using the book as a means to measure how "well read" I am. Whenever, I'm at a loss of what more to read, I pick up this gem and find numerous suggestions. Thank you Doug, Michelle, and Patty.
on October 17, 2012
I recently became interested in reading as many "great" books as possible -
but where to start? This book lists not only the books recommended for reading at several colleges, but also averages the scores to produce a list of the top 100 recommended books for college bound students. Obviously, not a complete list by any means but a good starting point on your trip of reading exploration.
on March 10, 2015
I love this book! I'm always looking for something new to read, but I'm a bit bored with what frequently passes for modern fiction (don't get me wrong, some is excellent, but a great deal more is meh). I can always open this book and find a suggestion one one of these lists more to my liking. A few of the lists have some surprising content. As far as it's original intent, I think that's a minor use at best, because college reading lists change so much, and many of the responding institutions have provided the lists they use in class rather than a list they would like to see freshman have as a pre-college background. However, the sample essay questions sprinkled throughout the pages are wonderful.
on September 27, 2013
This is a great reference for choosing reading material for homeschooling in the teen years. It takes the guess work out of trips to the library.
on September 3, 2011
If the problem is that your child doesn't like to read for pleasure, then you're not going to get that child to read this book and take the suggestions on what else to read. My copy is still in like-new condition.