on December 27, 2010
Verified Purchase
I admit, i bought the Solis Light because it's the only Kindle light which looks great.

First impressions - The aluminium looks awesome.
They provide you with a single AAA battery, so you can get down to using it immediately.

Mounting - It really mounts on any part of your Kindle 3. When i'm sitting upright, i mount it on top. If i'm lying on my left, i mount it on the right side of the Kindle so it would stay on. (Not really rocket science, just mount it however it fits your usage)

To switch it on, slide the top part out about midway, and the light comes on.
This is much better than the usual button switches, because it doesn't get accidentally turned on when it's in your bag.

Now, here's what i love most: The top part is actually angled down, which prevents the LED light from getting you in the eye. But i have to emphasize that it's all about positioning. There's no noticeable glare when i use it. On rare occasions when there's a glare, i reposition the light and it's all okay.

The only 2 downsides - I would prefer it to have a tighter mount (just by a little). And it does cause the Kindle to be a little top-heavy.
Nonetheless, after purchasing the MightyBright and this, i'm going to give it 5 stars because form and function is really hard to come by. It's not perfect in the strictest sense, but the drawbacks are something i can definitely live with.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 30, 2010
When I took it out of the packaging, I thought I'd found the perfect light for my K2. In every way EXCEPT one, it is the perfect light. The low profile is great, the simple on/off mechanism is great, and the mounting is great. The weak spot - the LED. It casts a faint, tinted glow towards the screen. It is enough to read with, but after having bright white LEDs from M-Edge and Belkin lights previously, this light is a candle compared to some of the others on the market. If you're looking for relatively dim, non-white lighting, this is the product for you. Me, I'll take the trade-off of a little glare from a brighter LED light for my reading.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
The Octovo aluminum light for the newest generation Kindle is a really great product for anyone looking for a light that functions as great as it looks. First off, the all-aluminum body is very smooth and has a very classy look to it. It definitely exudes a certain higher sense of quality product than most of the other lights out there that are made out of plastic. Prior to my purchase of this light, I was using the Mighty Bright mini light (black) for my graphite Kindle. It worked ok, but I didn't like the fact that it uses the "button" style battery, which is harder to find and more expensive than a typical AA battery that the Octovo light uses. Also, the Might Bright mini has some issues with wiring (I purchased one and noticed that the light flickers if you bend the neck, and it even cuts out/turn off the light temporarily if you bend it just a certain way, so I exchanged it for another one, which does the exact same thing anyway, so it must just be a "design flaw"). But, with the quality look and quality material comes a "price". It IS heavier than the Mighty Bright mini light, giving the Kindle a slightly "top heavy" feel to it. That being said, it isn't too heavy to where it's uncomfortable to hold single handedly, so I wouldn't really consider it an issue unless you're someone who's very picky about this sort of thing (even with this light, the Kindle is still lighter feeling than the Nook anyway). The lighting on it is something else that others have made comments about on this particular light. I will just say that this light has a very great lighting to it. It's very balanced, with the light being just slightly brighter at the top of the page than at the bottom, but otherwise it flows VERY smoothly/evenly throughout the page, and even lights up the whole bottom of the Kindle (including the keyboard). It's also more of a "natural" light color wise, vs. the blueish tint that some of the other lights out there have, which makes it more like you're reading by a lamp light/outdoor lighting than the other ones (a nice little bonus in my opinion). I will say that as far as some concerns about the light "shining in your eyes" that this light is very well designed and doesn't really have that issue. If you hold it far enough at a down angle, the light does some-what shine in your eyes, but overall as long as you hold it mostly up-right, it isn't a problem. Overall, I would say that this is definitely one of the best looking lights out there, and also one of the best lights functionally speaking as well.
on December 15, 2012
I am not good at judging. I choose a light according to below factors:
1. Functionality. I hate white light which lead to dry eyes and eye fatigue. The light should not be too bright but have to cover the whole screen, just perfect to read in bed and night flight.
2. Light weight and easy to put on.
3. Battery life.

I tried the Verso Light first. It's light weight and easy to clip-on,however I was extremely disappointed with the functionality of it.
The very bright glare it gave out was unpleasant. I had to keep angling the light to avoid glare, then I found the clip of the Verso Light just not strong enough to hold the Kindle. What's more,batteries only lasted about 5 hours which was a nightmare.

Then I purchased a Mighty light. I returned it immediately as it was far too bright and the very white light really hurt my eyes.

After that I decided to try some different design and pick up a Ozeri light. This light is one-third as bright as the Mighty Bright and oh my god only the top half of the page is lighted optimum to read.

I haven't concerned about the official Amazon covers because they just can't light up the whole screen, leaving the button of the kindle in dark was something that I can't accept. If I have to keep repositioning it to see the bottom of the screen I would rather just turn on the dome light. Moreover, the bad influence on the Kindle's battery life.

Finally, my friend recommended the OCTOVO Solis. He brought the Solis 3 years ago for his 2 generation Kindle and just got an extra free clip from the OCTOVO team, with which he can easily update the Solis and now it works perfect for his new Kindle.
Sitting perfect snugly on top of the Kindle, the Solis is about 2 ounces. Mount angled at 15 degrees make it lighted incredible without any glare. The Solis gives the fantastic amount of yellow soft light that make me really comfortable to read in dark. The light cover the whole screen, however it's never disturbed the one sleep beside you.You don't even need to worry about `flexibility'. Just turn it on and read, it's freed your hand from keeping angling the light to get a better reading experience.

Did Apple design this product? All in all, would recommend to anyone!
on December 30, 2010
Verified Purchase
I have used quite a few book lights with my Kindle, but I like the Solis the best. It lights up the entire screen very well; it's bright enough to see yet dim enough not to disturb anyone else in bed. Sure there are brighter lights, but this one for me is just right. I found myself getting eye fatigue with too bright light or too dim light... no eye fatigue with this light. Plus it's small and fits so snugly on the Kindle 3.
on November 30, 2010
Verified Purchase
Nobody's come up with the perfect light for Kindle, and though this appears to be the best it isn't all it should be. What's good: folds up, uses one battery so it's fairly light and long-lasting. What needs work: isn't machined well so opens up too easily, the holder is rigged up to make it fit the new Kindle but it doesn't fit well, the light concentrates on the top of the page, and it makes the Kindle top heavy. It could use a little leather or neoprene case, too. But, as I say, it appears to me to be the best design out there so far.
on April 8, 2011
Verified Purchase
[Summary]
If you have money to spare and want are in the market for a decent light, you should consider this light. However, if money is more of a concern, please choose another light. In addition, take note of how you hold your Kindle when you read. If you don't hold the Kindle perpendicular (or nearly perpendicular) to your body, the LED on the light may shine in your eyes and bother you.

[Unpacking/Installation]
The package came in a small box, that was sealed with a sticker. The light and battery were neatly placed inside under a flap. I've got to say, this is the most efficient packaging I could ask for. Installation was (quite literally) a snap. I simply let the rotating arm snap into the 180 degree position, slid the black cover a little, and the battery compartment popped open. Once the cover is replaced, you can slide the light over the Kindle, rotate the arm to the 90 degree position, and enjoy reading.

[Experience]
I have some mixed feelings about the light. I'll start with the good things. The light is made of a beautiful material, which I can describe as nothing less than premium. Some reviews complain that the light is not bright enough. I completely disagree. The light completely illuminates my screen, and I can mostly see the labels on the keyboard. Only on the bottom row of the keyboard are the labels unreadable, but I know those six buttons by heart. It requires only a single AA battery to run, and the battery life is reasonable.

Now, I'll present the problems. Because the light is made of such quality materials, it is quite expensive. At the time of writing, the list price is $30, and the shipping is an additional $5. That rings up as a total of $35. For comparison, the Mighty Bright is only $15, which is less than half the total price. $35 more may not seem like much, but you must remember that this is just a small light. Another problem is that the LED shines in your eyes at certain angles. I like to lie my Kindle down on my lap (or desk), but when I do that, the LED is shined directly in my eyes. It seems that the light was designed only for people who hold the Kindle perpendicular to the body. Unlike the MightyBright, the angle cannot be adjusted. Last of all, the arm does not snap at a perfect 90 degree angle. This may not seem like a big deal, but when the battery starts to weaken, it is annoying that one side of the screen is brighter than the other.

Pros:
[+] Easy Setup
[+] Premium Materials
[+] Uses 1xAA battery (Included)
[+] Sufficiently bright
Cons:
[-] Expensive
[-] Fixated at a certain angle
[-] When reading flat, LED may shine in the eyes
[-] Snapping not perfect

[Notes]
- This light does not work standalone. You must clip it onto the Kindle.
- If you rotate the arm to anything other than 90 degrees, the LED will turn off.
- If you have a Marware SportGrip Silicone Skin, the light will not fit onto the Kindle out of the box. However, there is a small bit of padding on the clip of the light, which, if you remove, will permit you to slip onto the Kindle.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 1, 2011
Verified Purchase
Just received this light and have attached it to the top of a Kindle 3 which is in a Oberon Design Cover. It just fits between the upper left leather corner strap and the right corner bungee strap. The light is centered on the Kindle screen, and gives a perfect amount of light (a low level) for my reading preference. A great option for Kindle 3 users with a Oberon Design Cover.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2012
Verified Purchase
I bought this light for my Kindle Touch in December 2011 before the company updated their package to include the clip for Touch. I have been using the clip for Kindle Keyboard and expecting the Kindle 2012 update to be thinner and my clip would fit. Because Kindle PaperWhite gives eye strain headache, I returned it and decided to keep my Touch for another year. I wrote Octovo to ask for a clip for Touch. They replied promptly and sent me one for free. This light is the best light for eReaders in the market and the customer service is superb! - highly recommended.
on September 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
Honestly, I can't imagine a better light for the kindle. It's at the perfect angle so that it lights up the entire page. It isn't heavy, it sits just right on the reader, and is a perfect fit. I love it. I recommend it to all my friends who have a kindle, and I recently purchased one for my niece just because I wanted her to see it to believe it. I doubt there's a better product for the kindle out there.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations