Customer Discussions > The Twilight Saga Collection forum

Reading level Ages 9-12 for twilight?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 7, 2008 7:15:06 AM PDT
C. Vera says:
I think there is something wrong with that. The age group should be a bit higher. It is a Young Adult series after all.

Posted on Feb 10, 2009 11:39:36 AM PST
RomaP7 says:
I agree...I found it kinda odd that it was geared towards that age group as well. I mean im in my twenties and I find hard to believe that this kind of love story could really be grasped by such a young age group...I mean that's just my opinion. I mean why is for that age group anyway, because its fantasy involving vampires and werewolves?! I'm with you it's def young adult to adult.

Posted on Mar 18, 2009 6:19:31 PM PDT
A customer says:
I don't agree with the age group this is targeting. Admittedly I love the books, but I'm also in my mid thirties and can handle the "scary, spooky stuff and the romantic over tones." My daughter, on the other hand is in the targeted age bracket. I won't let her read the books yet because I feel that she doesn't display enough maturity in the questinable departments of this saga. I will let her begin reading Twilight maybe this summer. I will reevaluate her. The interesting part is the 5th grade summer reading lists have already emerged at her school and the Twilight saga is on it with extra advanced reading points due to the length of the books. (They did this with the Harry Potter series several years ago) This is going to be one interesting summer!

Posted on Apr 12, 2009 10:08:38 AM PDT
The "age level" isn't based on subject, it's based on word length, number of words in a sentence and other mechanical features. It's an algorithm of the readability of the book, not the material of the book. And based just on vocabulary words and writing style, these books are written at a third grade level - about 9 years old. (Based on the subjects, I agree it should be much higher, but that's not as easy to make objective.) Think about that when your kid wants to waste time reading them - not only are there "questionable" subjects to worry about, but they're not even getting good challenging material to improve their reading skills. Blair, no offense intended, but I think your school is way off on the "extra advanced reading points" thing. Just because a book is long doesn't mean it's well-written or challenging.

Posted on Jun 9, 2009 2:58:08 PM PDT
Hazel says:
I agree. It is even debatable how suitable these books are for sensitive teenage girls, but that aside.

This age group (9 to 12) would be much better off with a series like, for instance, Warriors by Erin Hunter (first book: Into The Wood).
In a way they deal with adult themes, like betrayal, secrets, forbidden love, but on their own level and wrapped in a story about cats. (Similar to Watership Down)
www.warriorcats.com

Posted on Mar 11, 2010 11:28:08 AM PST
C. Ashmore says:
I have a ten year old daughter. She has not asked to read the Twilight series yet. But I have started reading it myself so I will know how to respond when she does eventually ask. I'm in my 40s and a teacher. While it is apparently written on a 4th grade level, I believe she is too young. Not for the vampire story or the werewolf story. Not for the anger or even the violence that is mildly described relatively speaking. I think she is too young for the feelings that Bella is going through. Bella is too young for the feelings that Bella is going through. I don't feel like my daughter is mature enough to understand and grasp some of the emotions present in this series. My 14 year old niece has read all four books and I believe that is a good age. She is also more mature for her age. But I also think it is a parent's call. They know their daughters and know if their daughter can handle the emotional pull these books have. When she's ready, they'll know, I'll know.

Posted on May 8, 2012 3:49:04 PM PDT
Reading level is determined by the length of the book and the level of the vocabulary words used. Target audience is different, this means that children 9-12 years of age are able to understand all of the words used in the book, whereas the target audience may differ, considering who they think will buy more of the novels and merchandise.

Posted on May 14, 2012 5:34:47 AM PDT
anna says:
I think you've misread the age level suggestion. It's supposed to be for GRADES 9-12 (ages 14-18), which would make the target audience high school students.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  May 7, 2008
Latest post:  May 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Twilight Saga Collection
The Twilight Saga Collection by Stephenie Meyer (Hardcover - October 15, 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (2,903)