• Ready

Ready
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$6.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: Audio CD
Trey Songz has never received his just due. Arriving at a time where other male R&B artists were blowing up with reasonable or great success (Chris Brown most notably), it seemed as if Trey Songz's fine I Gotta Make It went unnoticed. This is most sad as Trey Songz has an exceptional, well-nuanced voice that competes with the best of them. I GOTTA MAKE IT was a good, new/old-timey urban album with solid production and overall strong songwriting. It debuted at #20 on the Billboard Album Charts and tanked. 2007's Trey Day showcased a better showing (#11, 73,000 copies), though even the incredibly commercial "Can't Help But Wait" couldn't propel the singer to gold sales. Hopefully 2009's great and well produced Ready will help to propel a talent such as Trey Songz to the level of commercial success he should have already been receiving. If quality were the only indicator and not economy, Trey Songz could easily have a platinum album with this excellent third showing, arguably his best.

The album opens up with "Panty Dropper (Intro)", which prepares the listener to what ends up being Songz's most sensual, sexualized album. Despite this theme, Trey never goes over the edge like say R. Kelly at his most sensual, which means that the album is generally in good taste even though it is risque subject matter. "Neighbor's Know My Name" is an excellent first song - sensual, urban in sound, and well written. It's a song that R. Kelly would've taken to the next level (in a more twisted way that is) and Trey Songz does a phenomenal job with it. Catchy, kinky, and unrequited perfection describe "Neighbors Know My Name". Even better is the proceeding "I Invented Sex", which by title alone sounds like it should be the dirtiest, horniest song of the album. In fact, it turns out to be deceptive and is much more tame than its 'shock value' title. "I Invented Sex" turns out to be a catchy, hip-hop leaning urban song that is more insinuative than explicitly detailing 'the deed'. Again, it is a great production showcase and vocal performance.

I wasn't initially a fan of "I Need A Girl" when I first heard it on the radio; I thought that perhaps Trey Songz had already sailed the 'adult-contemporary R&B' boat with his great, understated "Can't Help But Wait" (also produced by Stargate) from TREY DAY. However, since purchasing READY, I can't stop listening to it! It should appeal to a more mature R&B crowd that don't care to hear about merely 'bumping and grinding'. "One Love" incorporates more great production, intact with sick drum programming, and 'ill' sounding electric guitar, and sensitive harmonious piano. Again, "One Love" is above average by all means and sets quite the standard for READY. "Does He Do It" similarly finds Songz at his best, supported by nothing less than top-notch production by Sean Garrett.

"Say Aah" featuring Fabulous (Loso) is one of the catchiest of the entire album. The production is high quality, Trey sounds among his best, filled with swagger, and Loso's verse is one of the best I've heard from him in a while. "Say Aah" is 'poppin', for lack of a better word. The unique "LOL :-)" is nothing less than fun to listen to, with appearances from rising rapper Gucci Mane and Soulja Boy Tell 'Em. "Ready To Make Love" serves as the 'intro-lude' for the souped up "Jupiter Love", another fine track finding Songz at his most sensual ever.

"Be Where You Are" is solid, but one of my least favorites. With that said, it isn't mere filler; there is no filler on this album. "Successful" featuring rising rapper Drake for the second time of the album (he also appears on "I Invented Sex") is one of the top tracks. The production is mysterious and cool at the same time while Trey's restrained vocals are exceptional here. Drake's verses are top-notch as always, building even more buzz about his debut album. "Black Roses" is another production showcase with its "huge" drums. No, it isn't the best of the album, but it is still a great song, which is key. "Love Lost", similar represents itself well. "Hollalude" serves as an intro-lude to the solid, though not earth-shattering "Holla If You Need Me". The album closes, solidly, though not revolutionarily with "Yo Side of the Bed". Again, even the 'second-rate' songs are solid at least, and most are above average.

There is very little to quibble about with READY. I think it Songz's best set of songs to date. Here, his swagger is really captivating in a way that it hasn't been before. 4 stars, easily.

A Grammy nomination for best contemporary R&B album would be nice.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2009
Format: Audio CD
From a male's perspective, I can say that I truly enjoy this CD and Trey Songz is incredibly talented. He has a very distinctive voice, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him become an R&B icon through the years. This CD, is hands down one of the top R&B albums of the year, yet it does fall short in achieving Trey's true potential.

In my opinion the thing that holds this album back is probably the lack of creative control that Trey has in the process. Time and time again we see talented artists signed to major record labels and the net product is watered down formula music that sadly tries to re-create the magic or purity of music from back in the day. People have become bored with music hence the miserable album sales and all the illegal bootlegging, however amidst all this "machine" music Trey's talent overrides the lackluster influence from whack A&Rs and executives in the music business...yeah he's that good. I find it hard to imagine that any music executive could prompt or cause Trey to do the things he did with each song, I'd imagine them telling him to simply go sing the song and to hit the right notes, yet Trey went into the booth and PERFORMED these songs clearly he has studied and perfected his craft hence he is "Ready".

From the start to finish the CD contains solid tracks all the way through, and there is something on there for everybody. Personally I find it hard to imagine that LOL:) is on the same album with "Black Roses" and "Love Lost" (the lack of creative influence). Nonetheless, Trey doesn't disappoint and delivers strong vocals on each track. My personal favorites include: "Be where you are", "Black Roses", and "Love Lost". The track "Be Where you are" has the potential to make him appeal to other audiences as it shows his versatility. "Love Lost" uses Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" sample but not in a manner that that is too too obvious, and this is probably the best song on the album as it shows true growth in vocal abilities and content. I don't want to downplay any other song on the album because honestly each track (including the interludes) are good even LOL:) has its moments with it's silly catchiness.

Overall, this CD does show promise for Trey in the future. I don't think he's truly found his niche yet but he does deliver on the more mature sounding R&B better than the silliness of LOL:) or the R.Kelly like sexually motivated tracks,yet we all know the mature sound doesn't exactly sell as well as the contemporary crap. I hope he has positive figures guiding him because honestly the dude seems lost and awkward at times (not on the album but in general) because he has so much talent it'll be a shame that it goes to waste. Lastly, the singles picked to promote the album were all terrible choices!
Format: MP3 Music
Trey Songz is one of those artists that I was surprised had actual albums -- not that he isn't good, but usually male R&B crooners that spend most of their early career singing the choruses to rap songs don't actually get to release any of their own stuff (Rell, anyone?). I always planned on listening to some of Trey's albums but I never got around to it until recently, and now I picked up his latest album, Ready.

There are a lot of good songs to find on here, like "I Need a Girl", "I Invented Sex" and "Successful" (although as usual, Drake sounds like he's talking rather than rapping). "Yo Side of the Bed" (which isn't what you might think it's about; more on that in a minute) is pretty decent too. In fact, very few songs are fast-forwardable, so why only 3-1/2 stars? Well, it's like what my brother asked when he reviewed Silk's album Tonight: how many ways can you say "freak me, baby"? Yeah, I'm sure most of the ladies have no complaints, but come on, man; you have a good voice; change up the subject matter a bit!

And a few songs like that are skippable. "Scratchin' Me Up" (one of the three tracks on the deluxe edition) doesn't feel right somehow, and "Does He Do It" suffers from a repetitive and unimaginative chorus. "Say Aah" is a mindless club track, and "LOL :)" never should have happened. Ready is still a solid album; your best bet, though, is to play it when you and your partner want some "special" time.

Anthony Rupert
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 10, 2009
Format: Audio CD
This is the best CD I've purchased in a long time. I took a road trip over the Labor Day weekend and this was a wonderful CD to travel to.

I only have one issue... Some of the content is very, very sensual (which i really liked) but too much for the 13 year old that I had in the car wtih me. I had to skip those songs. This is the reason that i gave it 4 instead of 5 stars.

Otherwise, this is a very solid CD. With the exception of a few more hip hop based songs, this is the PERFECT music for a romantic evening.

While Trey is a very talented artist, it is easy to tell who his influences are. Ready to Make Love - sounds a lot like Maxwell. Yo Side of the Bed - has Prince written all over it. But both are very beautiful pieces. On a couple of the tracks, you could easily mistake him for R Kelly (Hollalude).

My favorites are
Neighbors Know My Name - 4/5 stars
One Love - 4/5 stars
Ready to Make Love 5/5 stars (Maxwell inspired)
Jupiter Love 4/5 stars
Holla If You Need Me - 5/5 stars (My FAVORITE)
Yo side of the Bed 5/5 Stars (MY FAVORITE -BEAUTIFUL!!!!)
on September 1, 2009
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
This, my friends, is the best purchase I've made all year. Trey's creative energy is nothing short of magic. He breathes life back into the music industry with every note. I can listen to this entire compilation, start to finish, without skipping any tracks - and I consider myself very much a musical snob. If you don't purchase this album, you're missing out. Please support a legend in the making... Thanks for awakening every single one of my senses with this piece of work Mr. Songz. You, are a genius.
VINE VOICEon March 1, 2010
Format: Audio CD
Between Trey Songz and Robin Thicke, I think that 2010 is the year for makin' babies. While both this album and Thicke's `Sex Therapy' have their low moments (both Songz' `LOL :-)' and Thicke's `Meiple' are two of the worst songs I've heard this decade), their good far outweigh their bad, and especially in Songz's case, the album is one I will listen to over and over again.

This was such a pleasant surprise.

Okay, I'll get the bad out of the way. Like I said, that `LOL' song was just, well, bad. It's just stupid, and I'm sorry, but the fact that that one kids name is Soulja Boy Tell'Em (Tell'Em, really?) just annoys me. The only other song that I can say I don't really like is `Be Where You Are'. I just find it oddly dated sounding and kind of bland.

Two out of seventeen tracks aint half bad.

Some songs, while I like them, I can see could have been better. `Does He Do It' is a catchy and fun song, but the repetitive chorus gets obnoxious and irritating. `Jupiter Love' sadly follows the glorious interlude `Ready to Make Luv', and so it fails to ignite in the way I wanted it to (why wasn't that interlude made into a four minute song?), but it still reaches nice heights of sexy. Honestly though, no one should EVER use the phrase `super duper'. For me, the inclusion of that corny line took the song down a notch for me. `I Need a Girl' is one of those songs that really works yet doesn't stay with me. I love the beat and Trey's vocals, but the lyrics come off rather shallow after a while. You wouldn't think that, but it happens. It is also very pop sounding to me, which is not something that this album feels like overall.

The rest of the album is near perfection.

Before I break into the `best' of the album, I'll tackle the interludes. `Panty Droppa' is a perfect opener; simply engrossing and engaging and gets you all ready for what is to come. `Hollalude' is smooth and tantalizing; a perfect intro to the lovely `Holla If Ya Need Me'. But, like nothing on this album is as stunning as `Ready to Make Luv'; nothing. Vocally, emotionally...the whole thing is just flawless. I really wish that had been a full length song.

Now, as for the nine tracks that reach the highest, here is my ranking (and thoughts).

9) `Holla If Ya Need Me'. The song is just silky smooth and so easy to listen to and ge swallowed up in. It has an almost haunting quality (which is also prevalent on the interlude). It's a great relationship song that spells it out rather effortlessly, showcasing the ups and downs of a relationship, one that revolves around a real love-swell.

8) `Neighbors Know My Name'. It's funny because I was ON MY WAY TO PURCHASE THIS ALBUM when I heard this song on the radio and actually thought it was R. Kelly and was like `maybe I'll pick up his album too' but forgot about it, popped this album in my car stereo and BAM here is was. Love this song. It's so frisky and just down right sexy in all its tacky (but never really tacky) glory.

7) `Love Lost'. The tenderness in Songz' voice is VERY prominent on this track, and it works beautifully as he reminisces about a love he wishes he never lost. It's a sad yet beautiful song that hits all the right chords (and I LOVE that he's listening to Aerosmith!).

6) `Black Roses'. This song has grown so much on me since getting the album. It has an almost `new age Rihanna' feel to it, with the rock influences. Trey pulls it off thanks in large part to his vocals, which are the part that has grown on me since first hearing it. I initially thought that he was reaching too much with his voice (coming over strained, which he does at one part in the beginning), but he pulls it together and actually dominates the second verse and just milks this whole song brilliantly.

5) `Successful'. This is a different sound for Trey (darker almost) but his duet with Drake is just stunning, and very poignant for this new breed of celebrity.

4) `One Love'. I just love this song. It is so soft, tender and emotionally consistent. Trey really hits the mark on this one. Vocally he is stunning, lyrically it is moving, and just the whole overall package feels complete and stirring.

3) `Yo Side of the Bed'. The closing track is truly a sublime example of why Trey is an artist to watch. This may be his most moving and touching (and emotionally invested) vocal on the whole album, showing full range and full potential (this guy is only going to get better). The song is so moving and so universally felt that I don't how anyone can listen to and not feel the impact of this song.

2) `Say Aah'. I just, UGH, think this song is brilliant. One of the best club songs of the decade, easy. I mean, how can you not just sink into this one?

1) `I Invented Sex'. Yeah, this is it. I kind of didn't get this when I first heard it on the radio, but the more they play it the more I love it. It really defines all that Trey is. His silky smooth vocal delivery is stunning here (it's easy to see that this guy once wanted to rap, because while his tenor is more suited for R&B, his flow is effortless) and he content is sultry and evocative and provocative and just enticing from start to finish.

Now, put this in your stereo and get ready to make a baby.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
"Ready" is that and then some. while his first two albums hinted at this.

Trey Songz's third effort "Ready". Pretty much blows you away from the outset with standout tracks like the boastful "I Invented Sex" Feat. Drake. The slower tempo "I Need a Girl" or "One Love". "Does He Do It" is another of my favorite's off the album. However, i really love "Say Aah" feat. Fabolous. He always helps to spice up and add something to a track. This one is no different as Trey does he vocal thing all over this track. Fabolous comes in and wrecks it with guest verse to finish it off.

At first i'll be honest i didn't really like LOL :) and while it still isn't one of my favorite tracks off the album. I do find myself singing along to it from time to time. It's a fun, engaging song to listen to. The slow jam "Jupiter Love" tones it back down a bit. Followed by the more uptempo "Be Where You Are". Where Trey is telling a girl that he wants to be wherever she is.

Then comes "Successful" w/Drake. I love this version it's different from the one of Drake's EP "So Far Gone". But i love it just the same as Trey's vocals and Drake's rap intertwine throughout the song and make for an excellent journey.

Next come "Black Roses" and "Love Lost" both i find to be songs worthy of repeat listens and something that people should take notice of.

In addition to the all songs listed above. For me this is the album that has me sold as being a fan of Trey Songz.

He's truly "Ready" for all the success, accolades and everything that will surely follow. It is a 5 star cd without question.
on August 31, 2009
Format: Audio CD
If I was to put all of Trey Songz albums on a playlist and go through each album in full.. I probably would get a full grasp on how well he has transformed as an artist. Ready is Trey at his best, you can tell how he has developed vocally and how his music is now more centered, focused and his message is clear.

In the past Trey was a little questionable as to what genre was he going to be in. Either R&B crooner or rap artist. He seemed not to know what he wanted to do for a career. Well 'Ready' leaves no doubt where he is headed. He is going for the Usher and earlier R. Kelly fans.

Hopefully people do not sleep on this album, it truly is a good R&B album that has not been made in probably a decade by any other artist.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2009
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
Since Trey first stepped on the music scene I hated every song he released, or even featured on (except "Can't help but wait") Then I heard "I Need a Girl" and "Successful" and heard all the hype over this album so I downloaded it first--gave it one listen and bought it the next day.
This album from beginning to end was amazing: vocals, lyrics, and production made this album the best r&b album of the year. This album's mix of mid-tempo and club bangers works so well that you forget your listening to just one album. He really bought r&b back into the music scene and deserves to get any awards for this release.
Favorites include: every song from beginning to end
After this album I can officially say I'm a Trey Songz fan. Get it if your a fan of r&b. 5 stars
on April 23, 2014
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
im glad I bought the cd for the songs that I did buy it for but I didn't too much care for the cd as a whole, but not upset cause I still have my songs
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...