Customer Discussions > Leave This Town forum

Ready to give Daughtry another listen

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 5, 2009 7:22:32 AM PDT
I panned Daughtry's first cd and my opinion hasnt changed. But I'm optimistic that the longer timeframe has allowed him to write better songs this time around. The one song Ive heard shows promise. Its a better cover, too (for what thats worth). Looking forward to hearing the rest of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2009 9:35:21 PM PDT
What was wrong with the first CD's writing?

Let's have a conversation.

I like Breakdown and Crashed a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2009 1:04:40 PM PDT
I thought Daughtry's first CD was great. It ranks right up there with Nickelback for me.

Posted on Jun 7, 2009 8:22:01 PM PDT
Luke says:
One of my fav's of all time! I'm not sure how much different "Leave This Town" will be, though. I love No Surprise, but it sounds like all his other stuff (which is good for me, I want it that way!)!

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 6:45:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2009 10:17:39 AM PDT
The fact that it ranks right up there with Nickelback is the problem. That niche of "rock lite" is WAY overcrowded. Daughtry's songwriting on the first cd did nothing to seperate itself from the pack. The songs were crammed with catchy choruses that really didnt earn their place. What I mean by that is that the choruses all attempted to soar, but there wasnt enough meat or depth to the verses for the choruses to really have an impact. The songs dealt with all the typical issues you would expect and I feel like the cd as a whole was extremely predictable. (You could almost guess the lyrics to Home before he even sang them).

I am not a country music fan, so dont get me wrong here. But I heard Chris say on a video blog that he used some country influences on the new cd. I think his voice and style would work extremely well with a combination of rock and country in his music. And yes, No Surprise does sound like his other stuff and I have only heard it twice, but there is something about it that makes it seem a little more genuine than his previous release. His last release was rushed, but lucky for him the popular masses loved it. I expected a little more. The fact he is using his own band and that he has had more time gives me hope he can separate himself from the legions of pop/rock lite bands this time around.

Posted on Jun 18, 2009 7:23:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 4:13:49 PM PST
@DaBrandoChipper

The only thing Daughtry has in common with Nickelback is being a pop/rock band. What separates the two is their subject material.

Posted on Jun 18, 2009 10:58:58 PM PDT
JHeart says:
In all honesty, I have a hard time with Daughtry, not so much the "band" but, Chris. His ego gets on my nerves and as a fan of their songs, it enables me from looking at the music for what it is [in most cases, amazing]. I'm honestly just hoping for some beautiful love songs maybe? I think his voice is perfect for those sorts of lyrics. The first album was so much anti-love/break-ups/etc. If he could sing a love song the way he sung Over You or Feels Like Tonight, I'd be quite in love with the second album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2009 7:21:23 AM PDT
Cathy B. says:
i loooove crashed and there and back again ..to me daughtry is the best and i listen to them everyday.... i think this album will do better than their first ;) imo

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2009 11:27:50 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2009 11:05:28 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 2, 2009 12:17:04 AM PDT
Maybe those that fell unfufilled should try listening to real music? Daughtry is commercial pop gunk. It's Disney rock and roll.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2009 10:21:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2009 11:11:01 AM PDT
C. Sapp says:
"Seventh rule of Music on Teh Internets: Any band or artist that is even moderately successful will be labeled as 'shallow', '[genre] lite', or have its members portrayed as drug abusing child molesters."

Posted on Jul 7, 2009 12:30:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2009 12:33:47 PM PDT
You can go to vh1 and listen to the whole album on the leak. I love all the songs on this album. I think my favorite one is Tennessee line.Love them all though. The band is on this one
http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/daughtry__ch...201/album.jhtml

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2009 2:44:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2009 2:46:00 PM PDT
D. J. Cook says:
I love you music snobs. You have absolutely no idea what "real music" is, but you spout it to anyone that will bother to listen because it's the cool thing to do.

You want "Disney rock and roll" see the Jonas Brothers. Now, go listen to that death metal album that you and three other people like.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:02:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2014 7:47:39 PM PST
@DaBrandoChipper

Have you heard Daughtry's third album - Break The Spell - yet? If so, what's your opinion of it? I agree with the critics, that it's their best album so far. I think it feels much more authentic Daughtry and less influenced by other bands. What I like best about this one in contrast to the previous albums is that the production is not as heavily processed, allowing Chris's vocals to shine through more.

Link for samples: Break The Spell (Deluxe Version)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:13:57 PM PST
@D.J. Cook

What I love about Daughtry is that they know how to make solid songs that can cater to the tastes of many music fans, rather than pigeonholing themselves in one genre or aiming for just one particular fan base.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2014 4:58:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2014 9:16:03 AM PST
@DaBrandoChipper

Have you heard Daughtry's 4th album - Baptized - yet? If so, what is your opinion of it?
Link for samples: Baptized (Deluxe Edition)

When I first listened to the album, some songs I loved immediately, others eventually grew on me. My overall opinion now is that this album is a perfectly executed pop-rock album with country influences. Only a song or two I don't care for; otherwise, this is some pretty solid stuff.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Leave This Town forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jun 5, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Leave This Town
Leave This Town by Daughtry (Audio CD - 2009)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (213)