Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on September 7, 2011
I waited for this book because I read her blog and it was all I expected. Have tried several recipes and they were all successful. I had a question about one and the author wrote me back in a matter of minutes with the answer. Would recommend it highly. The pictures are great and the recipes precise and easy to follow.
on August 14, 2011
Every recipe looks like a winner! I've followed her blog for a long time and everything I have tried has been easy to make and delicious. The only thing holding it back from 5 Stars is the way the cookbook was bound...not the highest quality to stand the test of time in a busy kitchen, especially since it will be a cookbook I turn to often for delicious recipes.
on December 20, 2011
I am a little bit ashamed to admit that I am completely inept when it comes to cooking. I grew up in a home where my dad and grandfather did almost all of the cooking. I spent my time after-school as a young child in the Chinese restaurant that they owned and operated. I ate very well growing up and even now as an adult, I still crave home-cooked meals by Dad or Grandpa. Luckily for me, I married a man who also loves to cook, which alleviates me of the need to learn how to feed my family on a daily basis.

I wish I COULD cook though. I am very much a recipe person when it comes to cooking and I have often been frustrated when trying to learn how to cook from my dad because, like most good chefs, he is such a good improviser in the kitchen. I, on the other hand, need more exact instructions if I expect to prepare a decent tasting meal that people will actually want to eat. This is actually why I own a whole shelf full of cookbooks in attempt to become a better chef and maybe not despise cooking so much, but in all honesty, I don't use most of them. I find the instructions for a beginner chef like myself very confusing, especially when there are no photos to look at!

Ever since I became a mother, I feel a lot more pressure to build on my cooking skills because I need to feed my baby girl something other than Costco chicken or Ramen noodles everyday. As any new mother can easily attest to, it is hard to find the time to do this though. This is why I really enjoyed reading Real Mom Kitchen by Laura Powell.

I loved that the recipes were so simple and almost all of them had less than 10 steps total. The recipes were very simple to follow and the cookbook itself is full of beautiful photos and graphics. I don't understand cookbooks with very minimal photos because how am I supposed to figure out if it looks right, if I have nothing to compare it to? Real Mom Kitchen is full of mouth-watering images and even though they're not on every single page, it's definitely enough to get you hungry! Plus, the ingredients that Laura uses in her recipes are items that you can easily find in your fridge, pantry and/or local grocery store.

The recipes are REAL dishes that moms (and dads) could make on any normal given day or even for special occasions or gatherings. Nothing too fancy, but still simple to prepare and yummy to eat. I especially appreciate that they don't take a ton of time or expertise to prepare or make.

Some of the recipes that I bookmarked to try out this next month are:

Appetizer: Black bean and corn salsa
Bread: 45 minute cinnamon rolls
Salad: Chili cheese Fritos salad (I mean, who doesn't love Fritos?!)
Main dish: Mom's meatballs and rice
Dessert: Pumpkin bars

I picked one from each of the sections of the cookbook. Hopefully I can find some time to photograph the process and share it with you on the blog.

Overall, I really enjoyed Real Mom Kitchen. You can tell from the start that it is written by a REAL mom who understands how hard it can be to get a meal on the table everyday, but also how to make it a simple, enjoyable process as well.
on November 2, 2012
I've been a Real Mom Kitchen follower for a few years now and have tried and loved many of her recipes. I was just expecting more out of the cookbook. Where are all the yummy recipes from the blog? I was hoping to find a few that I make all the time. I can find several of the recipes from the RMK cookbook in my church-congregation-published cookbook. Honestly, save $$ and get recipes from her blog. I guess I was expecting and looking for more. I got the cookbook in the mail today and will save it for a Christmas gift for someone else.
on August 31, 2011
I love this cookbook. Its full of yummy comfort food. It is not a "gourmet" style cookbook, its real family food, but with a serious "yum" factor. I am an avid cook, and I collect cookbooks. This is in my top 5 for go-to cookbooks. I cook everything from gourmet to family food, so take it from a foodie: you will love these recipes. My kids have absolutely loved every recipe I've made from it. There are even recipes for the crockpot!
on August 29, 2011
Received this book and couldn't wait to try some of the recipes. Great! Has some very good and simple receipes. Easy to read and use. You should buy and enjoy.
on January 14, 2013
I actually borrowed this book from the library and loved it so much that I bought it. The website is really great too!
on February 4, 2013
I bought this for a friend who loves to try new recipes, but the recipes weren't anything special. I could have written this cookbook.