Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on June 21, 2010
I'll share what I was looking for, so you can better get what you need out of this review. Having used other cloth diapers with all sorts of bells and whistles, I was looking for plain, simple and straight forward. No finnicky wicking material, no special washing instructions, no need to strip, or handle carefully. I wanted the old fashioned, very economically priced, get the job done sort of a diaper. When I read that they were used at maternity wards in New Zealand, I figured I'd probably found what I was looking for, and I have.

I was initially concerned at the lack of leg gussets, but have been pleased and relieved to find that they function perfectly without them. I think perhaps with some of the thinner inserts out there, the leg gussets become more necessary. But, as these are meant to fit firmly against baby, that doesn't pose a problem with these and I have not had leaking issues apart from my occasional lapses by leaving the diaper on too long between changes. You do have to make sure you've got the diaper snugly fastened. I pull up and out towards baby's side with the front of the diaper as I cross the tab over to fasten which nicely snugs down the legs and waist at the same time.

I have had the whole gamut of issues with previous diapers that I have tried, and these are far superior in function, at a fraction of the cost. Add to that a two child use guarantee out of your diapers and you really can't go wrong.

We've used the first two sizes so far. I did find that they were easier to use and fit better as my baby got a little bigger - the second size was easier, but the first size worked too. The liquid poo fold works like a charm.

As pps stated, you need to make sure the insert is fully stuffed into the leg gussets and isn't sticking out anywhere around the legs or waist.

I also noted that the velcro tabs were stiff and kind of sharp. I have solved this problem by making sure the insert is completely forward in the cover, so it doesn't fold over and tuck in at the waist, thereby preventing the tabs from coming into contact with skin. I line the insert up with the very edge of the front of the diaper and then stretch the back out so that when the diaper is put on, the insert stays close to the front and not the back.

They seem pretty sturdy and have held up well. The writing on the labels has come off, but the cover itself seems virtually unchanged by multiple washings.

We have a essential pack and a top up pack for this size, yielding 5 covers and loads of inserts. I never make it through all the inserts but I do occassionally run out of covers and have to use a disposable while I do the wash. I think if I were more on top of my laundry, that wouldn't pose a problem, but I think to essential packs instead, with 6 covers is how I'll go for the next size.

It really seems like you can't beat the price. If you're doing cloth diapers to be economical and functional, then this is a good match. If you want the latest bells and whistles, flashy colors, and don't mind spending a pretty penny for what could turn out to be a flop, then this wouldn't be your best match. I kind of wanted a sure thing without much that can go wrong, and not much of a financial investment in my experiment. It worked out great!
0Comment37 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2010
I have been using this brand for about a month now and have had only one leak in that entire time, and that was because my son was in them for over 4 hours (day trip) and I had not assembled the cover correctly. One thing that their is to note is that the prefolds will leak but not out into their clothes, instead onto the cover. If you are planning on buying this brand, for my son I got three infant starter kits, three toddler starter kits and an essential crawler pack, costing just over $150. They all come with prefolds, and you will end up with about 18. So far i haven't needed to buy anymore and am not planing on buying anymore covers. The prefolds do stain, the best thing to do with them is if you have a washer machine use a baby safe oxyclean, or sunnying. If you are washing them by hand like I do use Dawn dish soap soak them and then wash them and hang them in the sun the stains will practically disappear
on November 5, 2009
We bought the birth-to-potty pack before our boy was born. He is our first and as you know a first time parent has NO IDEA what they need for the coming arrival. The birth-to-potty had everything we needed from the time we left the hospital to now. Great products, long lasting and good for the environment! 5 Stars!!!
on October 1, 2010
This is the first cloth diaper I have tried and I am very pleasantly suprised how well it worked!! I used the cover w/ the cloth prefold it came with, some other hemp prefolds and even a cheap gerber prefold and had NO LEAKS. And my daughter is a HEAVY wetter! The cover and the insert are very good quality and seems very comfortable on my baby.
on February 16, 2010
This is my first prefold and cover and they work pretty good. The only leak I had was when I misfolded the diaper in the cover. In all it is a neat trim diaper.
on May 12, 2010
I LOVE THIS DIAPER! I ORDERED THE BIRTH TO POTTY PACK AFTER GETTING THIS SAMPLE. WHAT A DEAL! THE MOST AFFORDABLE AND BEST QUALITY I COULD FIND. I DO WISH REAL NAPPIES SOLD CLOTH WIPES THOUGH.
on July 18, 2012
I purchased this intro pack for only $9.99. I thought it would be a great way to try out a new clothe diaper. We were using charlie banana prior to these but were having some leak issues as my Daughter has skinny legs (8 months and 18lbs). I got these in the mail and was very excited as they were a perfect fit and seemed to work well with Charlie banana diaper inserts. A few uses in I noticed that the inside velcro pieces were actually scratching my daughters leg between her tummy and thigh. There are two square velcro pieces inside used to attach the outer pieces when washing. The velcro is soft but the square edge was rubbing against her and leaving tiny scratches and bruising. I'm sure if we were using these exclusively the problem would have been worse. Although my daughter didn't cry or seem uncomfortable, it was clear that these diapers were not going to work. I really wanted to like these but the safety of my daughter comes first.
on May 19, 2011
I liked that this was a small little package so I could test out the Real Nappies cloth diaper before investing too much in them. This diaper works alright for containing the mess, but it's not as nice as I thought it'd be. It is much bulkier than I was hoping it would be. It also isn't very soft and just doesn't seem like it'd be very comfy for the baby. I use gDiapers normally, but needed a few more diapers and thought I'd try out some other kinds just in case I like them better. While these aren't that bad of a cloth diaper, I just personally wasn't that impressed with them. At least they don't leak though, which is really the most important part!
on January 23, 2012
I have used at least five brands of cloth diapers/covers, and this was a pretty good one. My only hold back is that it is too bulky for today's clothing. I wonder how a baby can learn to crawl or walk with such a thick contraption spreading his legs apart. I guess other people's kids DO learn...

The realy good part about this is the QUALITY. It is sturdy, thick, going to LAST a long long time. Definitely worth the investment, especially for anyone who needs to save money, and isn't worried about how thick it can be.
on October 18, 2009
I love this diaper system! Being a Mom to a fourteen week old baby, I wanted a cloth diaper that was convenient and easy to use and Real Nappies dipes fit the bill perfectly.
Having used disposables for the first couple of months, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a complete cloth set up to find that it didn't suit my lifestyle, so I found the intro pack was a great way to try out cloth diapers without making a huge investment.
I recommend this to all parents who are considering cloth diapers, but not sure where to start.