5.0 out of 5 stars And you thought you knew salt..............
I was surprised to see several reviewers who said, "salt is salt is salt, right?". WRONG! That refined salt in the grocery store is extremely damaging to your body, causing many problems like high blood pressure for one.

Published on February 19, 2011 by khakimos

3.0 out of 5 stars Gritty - But GREAT Customer Service (Updated)
Published on November 3, 2012 by T P

5.0 out of 5 stars And you thought you knew salt.............., February 19, 2011
This review is from: Real Salt Sea Salt - Pouch, 26-Ounce (Grocery)

Your body desperately needs natural salt, but the refined versions most of us grew up with have had all the nutrients processed out of them. There are something like 70 or 80 trace elements in a good sea salt that are essential for your body's health. Under ideal conditions, we would receive these from our food we eat. But in today's world, the soil is depleted of these critical nutrients - so that even if you try to eat good natural food, it no longer contains what you need. So sea salt to the rescue.

Having learned all this a few years back, I bought some Redmond's and gave it a try - and promptly went into shock. I knew it would be good for me, but I still expected it to taste the same as all salt - but it was, "OMG! THIS IS WHAT SALT IS SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE??!!!" It was a delightful bouquet of flavors and so satisfying to the taste buds. Even if regular salt wasn't so bad for you, I could never go back just because of the taste - there is no comparison.

And don't be fooled by most grocery store brands - even Morton's sells sea salt - and it tastes just like the same old crap that's been in our salt shakers all these years.

One other tip to try: I noticed another review mentioned that it helps with dehydration. I also found out that if you become dehydrated - it is not a simple matter of just drinking lots of pure water to get re-hydrated. I recently had a health professional suggest drinking a pinch of good sea salt in a glass of water before going to bed at night to help remedy the problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Your body's many cries for salt, December 29, 2008
This review is from: Real Salt Sea Salt - Pouch, 26-Ounce (Grocery)
When I first began seeing one of the doctors who has been most helpful with my chronic health issues, he did an assessment. One of the first things he checked was whether my body was dehydrated, or not. It was - even though I drank over 80 oz. of high quality water per day. He explained that it is necessary to also consume salt so your body can properly metabolize the water. Good quality salt - not "regular" table salt. There are quite a few good, pure mineral laden salts available these days fortunately. I've found that this product "Real Salt" is one of the most readily available and economical. It also has quite a pleasant taste - not overly salty. I carry a cannisted in my purse as well as using it in our cooking and dining. I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Salt, November 4, 2009
This review is from: Real Salt Sea Salt - Pouch, 26-Ounce (Grocery)
I am a fan of this salt.You get all the nutrients and minerals that have been removed from regular table salt.You can taste the difference. The texture is fine and the pouch makes pouring into a salt shaker quite easy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gritty - But GREAT Customer Service (Updated), November 3, 2012
T P (Phoenix, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Salt Sea Salt - Pouch, 26-Ounce (Grocery)
Real Salt seems like a good value, but unfortunately it is laced with grit. I've sensed the grit especially on eggs. Today this was confirmed when I cooked 2 cups of dried garbanzo beans in my pressure cooker with 1 teaspoon of this salt. After draining the cooked chickpeas(which had been thoroughly rinsed beforehand), there was some sandy grit at the bottom, the same color and size as the darker specks found in the salt. If it didn't dissolve under pressure for 40 minutes, then it is sand and not salt. I won't be buying it again.

UPDATE 11/11/12
I contacted the Redmond company through their website to let them know about my dissatisfaction with the product. They were very kind to send a replacement package along with some samples of a few of their other products, including a sample of powder salt which is not noticeably gritty and will work perfectly for pickling. They were very responsive to my concerns which I really appreciated. The replacement bag of salt still has some grit in it, but I can use this salt for the majority of my cooking and baking where the grit hasn't been noticeable. I changed my rating from 1 to 3 stars because it's good-for-you salt for most uses.

5.0 out of 5 stars LADIES - NO WATER RETENTION, July 6, 2013
Jo Robb (LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Real Salt Sea Salt - Pouch, 26-Ounce (Grocery)
I had completely cut salt out of my food because just the tiniest bit caused me to retain water. My doctor told me about Real Salt and now my food has "taste" again. I can't tell the difference taste-wise, but my body knows this is a natural and healthy product. Highly recommend even if you don't have the water retention issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Salt - Real Good!, February 20, 2009
This review is from: Real Salt Sea Salt - Pouch, 26-Ounce (Grocery)
Excellent (and healthy) product. This pouch is also an economical way to purchase it. Especially if you've tried it in the smaller shaker containers and want to 'stock up' at a reduced price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Real Sand?! or is it Real Stone?, October 16, 2014
This review is from: Real Salt Sea Salt - Pouch, 26-Ounce (Grocery)
This review will not show "verified purchase" because my wife always bought this under her account and I am the one complaining, not her. We have been buying this salt for 6+ years and have always appreciated it up until recently. Honestly, I think most people buy this salt because it is cheaper than the Celtic or Himalayan alternatives.

This is indisputable - I have been getting little rocks and sand in this salt for the last 5 or so bags. It is a horrible experience. No, not like getting a tooth pulled, but as far as culinary experiences go, enough to make you lose your appetite.

Imagine scrambled eggs, fluffy, light, warm, perfectly cooked and then the crunch of a tiny stone between your molars, enough for others at the table to hear, or a piece of sandy grit. Imagine getting three bites like that in your meal.

It's not happening at every meal, but it is enough to turn me off finally after months of making excuses for the company (maybe it's a bad batch).

I have tried a mortar and pestle and a newly purchased salt grinder without being able to resolve the issue.

This is unacceptable in a food product. I have been eating food for decades and have never experienced this before. It is only with this salt that it happens. We have used Himalayan in years before Real Salt and never had this issue.

I called the company and they said it "may have come from a location in the mine with a higher mineral count than usual".

I even bought an expensive salt grinder to try and fix the problem. This did not help 100%. I guess a rock is still a rock even if it's smaller.

We will be spending a little more on other varieties instead of buying this anymore. Real Salt has lost a faithful customer of many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars never go back to Morton, February 18, 2014
this salt is REAL - the flavor test is amazing and shows how it is different from the highly processed white stuff...plus, it's from the US (not shipped from overseas)

5.0 out of 5 stars Salt Finally Has Flavor, September 9, 2011
This review is from: Real Salt Sea Salt - Pouch, 26-Ounce (Grocery)
I never used to add salt to my cooking because it never seemed to add any real flavor. Since trying this salt - I now use it regularly in my cooking as it seems to really bring out the flavors in everything. Even something as simple as an avocado/cheese sandwich! I highly recommend this salt!

5.0 out of 5 stars RealSalt for RealPeople, April 25, 2011
This review is from: Real Salt Sea Salt - Pouch, 26-Ounce (Grocery)
When it rains, natural salt does not pour. It is essential that any natural salt be kept in airtight sealed containers to prevent caking. The Redmond RealSalt pouch does that very effectively, but I don't understand why the pouch is called `refillable'. It certainly is not practical to refill it at home. Do we send it back to the factory for a deposit refund, or to get it refilled?
RealSalt is very GoodSalt. We have used it for years at the table and stove. I use it to brine turkey and for making our own corned beef. Whenever obtaining preprocessed foods I look for low sodium varieties so that I can salt them at home with RealSalt to suit our tastes. Unfortunately some products, such as beer, are not available is low sodium varieties.
RealSalt is not CheapSalt, but is less costly than any other comparable natural salt that must be imported from outside of the country. If you have a nearby health food market that buys RealSalt in bulk, and repackages it for retail sale, it can be obtained more economically. Otherwise, the Amazon sources are the best way to obtain this product. Or, if purchasing larger quantities, Vitacost.com charges more for the salt, but much less for S&P.
Do your homework, but get some of the salt. You'll never what to go back to the white stuff that pours when it rains.

Real Salt Sea Salt - Pouch, 26-Ounce