Customer Discussions > Fable 3 forum

Really? Fable 1 ... Fable 3?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2010 1:38:38 PM PDT
D. Hunt says:
Am I the only person who is never going to get into a game series if not every part of the game is available for my system? I suppose it is nice that they decided to make Fable 3 for the PC, but I worry that if there are lots of other people like me out there, it will sell horribly and they will use that to justify not doing more conversions, rather than wondering if perhaps not porting Fable 2 ruined this game's chances.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 4:17:58 PM PDT
Logan Nowak says:
It would be nice to see two, but apparently, by skipping it you aren't excluded from the story. It just takes place in the same universe.

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 1:50:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2010 1:51:04 PM PDT
Although I'm a big PC gamer, I still plan on picking up the Xbox 360 version for this one, mainly because I'll be able to import all of my gameplay decisions from "Fable II," which will reportedly have a major impact on the in-game world.

I don't quite know what Lionhead and Microsoft are thinking here, considering that carrying over your save data from "Fable II" is such a huge thing in the third game -- how are PC gamers who never played the second game gonna feel when they realize that they're missing out on a big chunk of the overall experience? Are they prepared to insulate themselves from all of the criticism that's sure to come upon release?

It's also not unlike BioWare and EA's decision to port "Mass Effect 2" over to the PS3 without even releasing the first game on that platform -- my god, talk about completely missing a major piece of the saga.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2010 12:12:53 PM PDT
General Pete says:
exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2010 3:03:35 PM PDT
Agreed! I'm deeply disapointed with the missing of the second chapter. PC is my system of choice and I will never buy the third part without playing the second one. But I refuse to buy XBOX 360 only to play Fable II. I'd rather sell the first version of the game to buy Civilization V, for example.

Posted on Sep 25, 2010 8:00:01 AM PDT
Lecie says:
I am highly ticked off they didn't release II for PC... I mean seriously? My friends whom are XBO X36O gamers have it and I played it but I can't get used to the controls.. not as fun when you wanna throw the controller out the effin' window.. am I right?? Why release III for PC if we don't have II? I mean we made such a stink because we didn't get II and now there's III!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2010 7:14:37 PM PDT
saiyge says:
While terribly disappointed that Fable 2 was not given a PC option, I have to tell you that the first Fable is still my favorite RPG of all time. The magic and wonder I still feel after playing it a few times, allows me to grudgingly forgive them ..... but only because Fable III will be out for PC. Some Fable is better than no Fable. I have been pondering the idea of buying Xbox -solely- for Fable. I am glad I wont have to :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2010 8:39:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2010 8:41:15 AM PDT
Vappour says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 19, 2010 1:57:49 PM PDT
Wolvenmoon says:
If I wanted to play it like a console game I would have spent $250-300 on a dinky piece of cute hardware, hooked it up to a quaint 30 inch 720P television, and gone at it with the adorable little controllers.

However, I'm sitting across from 2 22 inch monitors typing on an OCZ sabre ( $120-200 keyboard, I paid $120 ) with a Logitech G9 ( $79 for me ) mouse sitting on a $400 Ergotron Workfit with $300 Logitech Z-5500s mounted in my walls, and about $1200 of PC hardware excluding the aforementioned peripherals, which total about. Considering my investment in my peripherals, I don't believe I am asking too much for a FULL PRICE game to be optimized to work with them. I have no desire to mess around on a $40 controller when I'm paying full price for software. I want it to work like native PC games work.

I invest much more money in my system than console gamers, I expect a much better experience, or a much cheaper game. Coincidentally, about $1000 of that money in my setup over the past 4 years was meant for games that never came out. Thank you Securom and console ports! I now have hardware bragging rights. ;)

If I wanted to pay $50 to be treated like mud on I'd get a day pass to a spa. Afterwords I might even buy the 'very hot rocks on your back' expansion pack, and the 'cucumber eyes' DLC that they inevitably bother you about.

I had actually started playing Fable 1 in anticipation for 2. Stopped cold when it wasn't released on PC. Since they're not going to bother bundling a PC version of Fable 2 with this, I'm probably done. I literally might try a spa day. I wish I were dishonest, I'd just pirate it then, but I won't be a thief nor a scapegoat for their exploitation of their PC customers.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 4:10:19 AM PDT
Thats funny, because they said in an interview on g4 that the influence (from the 2nd game) was going to be pretty minor, but they may have been attempting to back pedal and placate the pc community.

Posted on Oct 20, 2010 11:39:48 AM PDT
Wolvenmoon says:
Placation should probably be done by a 50% off sale before the game launches. Then I'd not be willing to throw them under a bus.

Still wouldn't buy it until it had 2 bundled with it and all the DLC that they cut out of the final game to sell back in chunks.

Posted on Oct 20, 2010 12:50:31 PM PDT
A. Parsons says:
I prefer PC games over console games, I played Fable 1 on pc and fable 2 on xbox... and trust me you're not missing out on anything by not being given Fable 2 for pc. Yes it was fun, but not fun enough for the $60 price tag and the years of anticipation for it. I'm hoping they got it right with Fable 3(considering they released it only a year after Fable 2). So really PC gamers, stop complaining Fable 2 sucked, they are trying to not disgrace our thousand dollar computers with a bad excuse for a second installment of a game and skipping to the (hopefully) awesome 3rd installment.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2010 3:58:18 AM PDT
cybertext says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2010 7:01:33 AM PDT
Fail. That wasn't Fable II

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2010 9:09:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2010 8:52:43 AM PDT
Vappour says:
I always thought the Lost Chapters port was Fable I. And the extra content for the Fable I PC version seemed like it was more or less "tacked" onto the console game. Fable II was the one PC players didn't get (I realize I may be wrong here). Still, Fable I was a great game with a unique concept -- one of my favorites.

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 12:03:58 PM PDT
Wolvenmoon says:
TLC was not Fable 2.

Posted on Oct 25, 2010 6:06:26 PM PDT
O. Zaiss says:
Fable 2 sucked anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2010 5:43:36 PM PDT
H. Le says:
I don't think F2 sucked. It is a very decent RPG and bigger than F1 in every way - but not better.

Posted on Oct 27, 2010 9:32:34 AM PDT
Snick says:
Here is the great thing about Fable III coming out on the PC that may help you get over not having Fable II saved data; mods! It is very likely, cause I know this was done with Mass Effect, that someone will figure out how to activate all those triggers that allow you to get certain reactions in the new game. If you played Fable II and then some mod comes out that tells you which triggers have an effect on Fable III then you can go in and make the same choices as if you played the second game on your PC. I know its an extra step, I get it...why didn't they just release Fable II on the PC, but being able to mod this game should alleviate some of the anger over their previous error. That is; so long as the game doesn't suck.

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 12:07:32 PM PST
The save data from Fable 2 does not carry over to Fable 3 on Xbox. I dont see any proof of it anyway. Maybe I did something wrong?

Posted on Nov 26, 2010 10:36:27 AM PST
To tell the truth, Im glad F3 is out for PC. Ya it sucks to have missed F2 but TLC was so much fun Im just gonna get F3 and pretend that Im not missing out on anything with this whole 'F2 endgame save' option missing.
But honestly, most endgame saves still leave you at noob power when starting off in the new game anyway, else you'd rip through it and the boards would be filled with 'too easy' comments

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 10:28:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2011 2:01:09 PM PST
B. Whelan says:
Would you like to know why Lionhead decided to publish Fable III for the PC and not Fable II?

First off, Microsoft touted its reinvention and reinvigoration of the PC gaming market about 5-6 years ago via its "Games for Windows" label & infrastructure, however, when it came down to actually walking the walk, MS lacked the follow-through and we were all there to witness as they fumbled and dropped the ball right at the starting line. Only, the consumer-base MS sought to prop up, were the ones who were left holding their chincy plastic party favors and deflated expectations and loyalties. And unfortunately, Fable II represents one of those many fumbles on the part of both MS & Lionhead, equally.

Secondly, I believe that MS had hoped to maximize its profits as an "exclusive" ONLY for the Xbox 360, but when FII did so incredibly well in overall sales on the 360, MS did not see the need to spend the extra development time and extra investment to port over a game that was already widely successful, especially to a platform that it felt no longer catered to the "casual" gamer. Because ya know, us PC gamers are ALL "hardcore gamers"... ? Yeah, right. I mean why waste Lionhead's development time on a FII port, when it could immediately turn its focus toward the third game in the series, and rake in some quick profits for the following year.

Lastly, we will now see FIII on the PC platform b/c of its less-than-stellar overall sales -- And I'm being kind! In reality, that translates into absolutely ABYSMAL overall sales, in comparison to its predecessor, which can be referenced in the latest NPD sales report. Apparently, MS & Lionhead suffered a bit of amnesia this time around b/c they failed to recall that it takes more than two improvements, and a wee-bit of new content, or content that at least SEEMS new and fresh to the player, if they ever hope to produce a game that evolves significantly beyond its predecessor(s). If that does not occur, people find it very difficult to want to spend their hard-earned money on a lackluster iteration, especially when there are so many other AAA games out there that ARE worth the time invested.

Anyways, MS recently announced that it plans to reinvest and replant itself within the redevelopment of the PC platform as a gaming medium, but I can not truly believe it this time around, until I actually see the cogs turning, unlike previously. As the old adage goes: Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, shame on you. It remains to be seen, but this time around, I'm less than overzealous.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2011 8:33:43 AM PST
J. Yamamoto says:
Assuming it is indeed mod-friendly. See Dragon Age? That's mod-friendly. Fallout 3? Mod-friendly. Mass Effect 2? NOT mod-friendly, and there aren't any major mods for it either, save for maybe some tweaking. Remember Fable on the PC? NOT mod-friendly either; there were some re-skins and tattoos and then some major modding projects, of which very few came to fruition, that didn't really do too much for the game anyhow. What you're talking about is save-editing.

Sure, some goon can whip out a save-editor so Everyday Joe can crank out their very own save game to have their decisions carry over, but if Everyday Joe ain't got himself a 360 and Fable II then the flags, tags, and triggers mean diddly squat to him. Never mind that, if he has a 360, he'd already be done with Fable III by the time it comes out for the PC.

So, Fable III on the PC is looking like it might just be a half-baked port. Maybe if FIII brings in a decent sum of cash they'll think about porting FII... Doubtful, but who knows? Of course, by my standards, that'd be too little too late. At the end of the day? I'd rather go without Fable III, especially if I can't have Fable II to boot. I mean really, would it have been so hard to port Fable II as well? Hell, all this time porting the game to the PC and they could've been doing Fable II side by side with it, bundled it, and sold it for something like $80-$90. I'd buy that.

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 8:13:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2011 8:14:37 PM PST
While it is odd and does suck that Microsoft only allowed a port of 1 and 3, but you really are not missing out on much in any element. Combat wise, 2 was a vast improvement, but it lost the charm and originality points because 1 kinda did it just as well. I would say Fable 1 was immensely more entertaining, fun, and replayable then Fable II. In fact, the only thing Fable II has as a benefit toward Fable I is the increase in graphics, and some improvements to gameplay like convinces (better travel).

I hear Fable III solves a lot of the problems from Fable II, so I'm looking forward to this game and will be buying it. The delays are annoying, sure, but if it released with less bugs than the last PC port, I am happy. Lionheart should hurry the heck up though, I keep forgetting about this game.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 9:10:19 AM PDT
1- Saved game data means little to nothing. The 'MAJOR" impact your save will play in F3 is some marketing trash to push more copies of their products - Cant tell you how many times game makers say this, and every time I transfer the save, it's almost EXACTLY like starting a vanilla game, latest example DA2. From a saved DA:0 where I completed like 97% of the game, I saw 3 refrences in DA2 and none of them impacted me or my game AT ALL.

2- Are sales down at MicroSoft? Is giving PC players 2/3s of a series their way of scraping together some quick cash?
"Hey lets push some F2 *and* some Xboxes while doling out some pity for PC users" Screw off.

TLC was a really cool game, but this move just doesnt make sense and quite frankly it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so I'll just wait for this to hit the torrent sites.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Fable 3 forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Aug 20, 2010
Latest post:  May 21, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Fable 3
Fable 3 by Microsoft (Windows)
2.9 out of 5 stars   (89)