5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice for my RV
Published on February 4, 2012 by shotgunb

1.0 out of 5 stars Image was great...until it rained.
I received the camera and was happy and impressed visually with the construction for the price. It is metal, and has a black chrome look that looks great on my new Acadia. I mounted it under the overhang just over the license plate. The image looked great too....until it rained.

Published on February 17, 2012 by D. Drummond

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent choice for my RV, February 4, 2012
This review is from: Car Rear Vehicle Backup View Camera (Waterproof) (Electronics)
Have a 'home grown' setup I created for my RV using a camera and touchscreen monitor... for both backup/reverse cam and computer. Recently my camera died and I needed to find a replacement. Gave this one a whirl and I am not disappointed I did. First surprise is the size... this thing is really small! Very compact and seems like outstanding quality. Was plug and play with both video (RCA) and power from my previous camera. When looking for placement, I discovered I could slide under the left rear light console (lights/brakes) and use the mounting screw for the lights to attach the camera. only extra work needed was reversing the clamp on the camera to get the wire out of the way (ie. undo the two philips screws and move the wire to inside vs outside the bracket). Once hooked up it worked like a champ. Amazing field of view (my old cam was about 90 deg), great color and brightness (despite 35' cable) and excellent image. The permanent guide lines work great for me. I have no clue why RVrs would pay for larger/more expensive systems when this is out there... very impressed & highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Put on Mercedes S400, February 28, 2012
For the money you have to give it 5 stars. I have read all of the other reviews and would say that it is always possible to get a defective part these days. Always buy from Amazon and you can easily return it for a refund or exchange. No, I do not work for Amazon, as I am a retired Engineering Professor. The installation is simple and if you have the right tools it should take less than 2 hours to completely install. If you are not familiar with working on cars, then hire a professional installer to do it. Make sure that your video unit is equipped with either the video backup trigger for backup camera installation or separate video input. If you don't want to install it under the trunk lip and want to install it on a surface mount then all you need to do is remove the screws from the mount and rotate it 180 degrees.

OK back to the camera and installation on my 2010 Mercedes S400. I had purchased a kit from MidCity Electronics to give me the video feed to my LCD OEM screen. That took only about 30 minutes to install. The camera took longer because I had to remove the interior trim from the trunk to remove the plastic piece under the trunk lid. I drilled a hole for the camera head to fit through the plastic and then mounted the camera using hot glue. This is hidden on the back side of the plastic piece and will allow for easy removal if I need to install another camera. The powder feed was gotten from the rear of the car using a fused 5 amp/12 volt position on the circuit breaker. Because the electronics from the Mercedes automatically senses that there is a rear camera installed, I did not need the backup light voltage to trigger the camera. This feature is handy because the Video In Motion from MidCity can be triggered while driving to see behind your car. Running the video wire to the front took about 20 minutes to remove door sill plate trim and get wire fed through to front connection behind the video unit. Once done and tested (Yes, please test before you put everything back together to help you save time if something does not work right), it will take you about an hour or less to put all the trim pieces back on and make a final adjustment to the angle of the camera. It is very handy to have the adjustment screws visible under the trunk lip for this reason. I adjusted the camera angle downward so that I could just see the edge of my bumper. The rear image is not distorted and I am very pleased with the results. Once satisfied, use the hot glue to put a very small dab of glue onto the screw head to keep it from getting loose or use some lock-tite on the treads.

I would have liked to have the option of removing the backup grid overlay because it does not match up properly with the Mercedes self-imposed lines. However, the camera option with the MC unit was >$200, so for the money, I can live with the lines until this camera needs replaced.

An additional tip is to use a 9 volt battery to test your video camera before you install it. The 9 volts is sufficient to power the camera and you can attach the leads with a small bit of tape. You can use the video out to your TV or any monitor that allows for the RCA video input. I used the small video monitor sold by Amazon for ~$20 to preview my installation before I started. It also allowed me to compare two different cameras with the same lighting to make my choice of the better one. Hope this helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Image was great...until it rained., February 17, 2012

It wasn't even a heavy rain, just a light rain, and it's been damp here for 3 days with light showers since. The day it rained the image was blurry as heck, so I thought it was just dirty, and went and cleaned it. Didn't help. Got to noticing, that it's all fogged up INSIDE the camera, and it's been like that for 3 days now, so the camera is useless.

How pretty it looks from the outside means nothing if it's functionally not usable. I can't really recommend this to anyone, even at this cheap price. Having a completely sealed housing on a backup camera is obviously a necessity. Things ARE going to get wet back there from time to time.

If I can make time to get it off during the Amazon return period, I'll definitely be returning it.

6 MONTH UPDATE 08/14/2012 Thought I would update this 6 months later now, since in the end, I've been too busy and too lazy to take apart everything to get the camera out to return it and put in a different one.

Once we got into an extended dry period, the camera eventually dried out, and in daylight the pic looks great, but at night you can see some pretty visible horizontal lines flickering on the screen. Then it rained again the other night, and no surprise, water in the lens again. It's kind of disappointing because I was really pleased with the metal body on this when I got it, and I suspect had they sealed it better it would have been a great camera. Maybe when I have some time, I'll get in there and take it apart and see if I can reseal it, as someone suggested.

8 MONTH UPDATE 10/29/2012 Wanted to add a final update on my review. Here a couple of months later from my last update on it, I am trading the vehicle in and removed the aftermarket stereo, and this camera with it. While the camera was still technically functioning, the water issue never went away. Additionally, upon uninstalling it, I discovered all the screws on the mounting hardware were rusted pretty badly, in just 10 months. They should have used stainless steel screws, because these were definitely not meant to be out in the weather. The mounting bracket was showing some signs of rust on the edges as well.

Additionally, I noted that the coating on the camera, I guess it's a clear coat, was about half peeled off, making the finish on it look really bad. Keep in mind, this was on a car in West Texas where it doesn't rain a lot. I can only imagine it would be even worse if it was in a more wet climate. I won't be reinstalling this on the new vehicle, but buying a different one instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful camera, June 28, 2013
First things first. Look at the price before complaining. There are cameras out there costing hundreds of dollars, if you want that buy one. For the price, this camera can't be beat. Like any "inexpensive" camera, in low light they tend to wash out a bit. So what, same thing happens with the camera on your phone too. In daylight conditions, the colors are good, the clarity of the camera is very good and it does what it is supposed to do.

If you are looking for a rear view motion picture camera and think you are going to get IMAX quality, please be realistic and buy a much more expensive camera.

As to the waterproofing. Any time screws go into a metal anything the possibility of leaks exists. The solution is simple. Take the mount off. You will notice that actually, the camera was designed to be flush mounted because the wire coming out of the back goes through threaded tube. You can use that is you like but then the camera won't be adjustable. Take the bracket off. Now tape over the lens with some removable tape, almost any kind will do. Clean the body of the camera with some alcohol. Spray the camera body with some lacquer or better yet some aluminum wheel coating spray. Sure if you don't have some handy it will cost you about $6 from a local store but come on, you'll have other uses for it from time to time. Spray lightly and let dry. Do that 2-3 more times making sure the lens stays covered. A light spray means holding the camera body about 10" away from the spray and misting the body. After 2-3 times the entire camera body will be sealed from water and other elements.

This might sound like a lot of work but it takes mere minutes if you take your time. Now your camera is 100% waterproof and the original coating will not peel. The aluminum wheel coating is UV proof too so no worries about the sun getting to it.

Remember to always cover the wires with some insulation since they are thin and what insulation there is can be worn through easily on sharp edges when you route the wires. To make life easier, just run new wire from the power supply (like some 14 gauge automotive wiring and an inline fuse) and bundle the original power wires up and tape them together.

There are two ways to adjust the visuals (bars). One is to backup close to something (have someone else guide you) and note the line that corresponds to how close you are to the object. That is then your reference. Make sure the object is at least as high as whatever part of your vehicle might hit something first. This method lets you aim the camera so you can use it as rear view as well as back up.

The second way is to adjust the camera to put the stop lines to intersect with the object and then there is no guesswork. This limits the rear view utility but you have a choice.

All this sounds like a bunch of work but it isn't. It literally takes a few minutes time, okay, maybe 10-15 minutes but the small effort is worth it. You'll end up with a quality installation and fewer worries later on.

That is about it. The latest model has two wires, one negative one positive so there are no grounding issues as previously mentioned elsewhere. Ground is a tricky thing unless done right. Make life easy, just tap into an existing negative return (black wire usually) and be done with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the misleading advertisement, July 14, 2012
Serge Gracovetsky (St Lambert, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This is NOT a 170 degrees angle of vision device as claimed. The CCD sensor is too recessed to get the 170 claimed and the lens above it is not a fish eye. I measured about 90 degrees. Color is more black and white than color. I gave it 3 stars because it works with 90 degrees even if it is not what I thought I bought.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only worked 6 days, January 3, 2013
The camera appears to be very good and feels solid. I had a local shop install it for me and it seemed to work great. The picture is not great but it gets the job done and even allows you to see at night if you have decent reverse lights. On the 5th day it was raining and the lense fogged up and appear to get water in it immediately. By the 6th day it was toast. I took it back to the install shop and they tested it and confirmed that the camera internally was not working. Can't even say "I got what I paid for" as I figured it would at least last longer than 6 days.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome camera for the price - read waterproof update note, April 3, 2012
I finally got around to installing and fixing my grounding issue with this camera. For some reason, the metal earth ground is just not enough for this little camera. I tested the metal ground with my ohm meter and voltage meter, and everything seemed fine, but the camera would not work that well if at all. Tried a spare power supply for a CCTV camera (9VDC) and it worked beautifully. Even tried using a self-tapping screw on some bare metal, and still not enough. Finally had to tie into the ground on the trailer wiring harness. Everything is nice and bright. At night, it works, but not too well. When you get close enough to an object, then your back up lights will in fact light it up enough for the camera to see.

The built in color lines will hopefully prove useful once I get used to their location and what they represent.

Update: At some point in time, about 6 months ago, my camera got a lot of condensation in it. This made the back up image extremely blurry and impossible to see. For several months this continued. I should have emailed the company. When I finally got around to emailing, I realized it had been more than a year since I purchased this device and figured it was a moot point. About 2 weeks ago after some warm weather, the camera cleared up completely. It is once again usable, and now I love it again. Hopefully before it rains again I will try and find a "leak" in my otherwise weatherproof camera. For this reason, I have dropped my review from 5 stars to 4 stars, as I don't believe the camera I received is truly waterproof.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solidly made but hard to mount, November 20, 2011
The camera is pretty well made. The entire housing is made from solid metal and it has a certain "weight" to it that makes it feel high quality.

The video image is very good in well lit situations but the color fads out when it is dark. With the back-up light of the car illuminating, though, it's not a big problem.

There are some "distance lines" in the camera that cannot be turned off. I don't find it particularly useful but it doesn't hurt to have.

As noted in other reviews, the camera comes ready to be mounted in a hanging position. to top-mount it (have it sit on a top surface), the bracket need to be taken off from the housing and rotated 180 degrees. Not a huge problem.

The problem is the depth of the camera (distance from the lens to the back) makes it hard to hide under the narrow overhang of the license plate area. Furthermore the cable comes directly out from the back, taking up additional space. This make it susceptible to rain water getting on the lens. Overall from the lens surface to the back (including the extra space taken by the bracket) is 1.75 inch.

Overall I would say between 3-4 stars. The Video is good, but getting it mounted property is difficult.

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work, February 8, 2012
Got my reverse camera in the mail today, spent about an hour running all of the wiring. Finally got it hooked up and was excited to try it out... Product did not work. It is a very simple install and I have much experience with vehicle wiring. I also had a reverse camera already hooked up to my kenwood dnx6180 headunit so I know it is the product itself that doesn't work. Checked connections with volt meter and everything checked out fine. Obviously I wanted to call the company... They have no phone number, the only way to get customer service is to email them which they say they will reply to within 3 business days!!! Not happy with this product or company at all...

Edit- 6 days later and still no response from seller and no other way to contact other than through email...

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, April 7, 2012
Purchased this to use with a Garmin dezl 560LMT 5-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable Trucking GPS Navigator with Lifetime Map & Traffic Updates on my Ford F-250. The camera works great. The instruction sheet for the camera is worthless but the other reviews on Amazon made for an easy install. Used the 9 volt battery trick to check it out before installing. The camera needed to be mounted upright but it was easy to turn the base around. More than enough cable to install on the F-250 crew cab. A Garmin video cable was also needed to connect to the GPS bracket.

Rate and Discover Movies