Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Generic 4.3 Inch LCD TFT Rearview Monitor screen for Car Backup Camera
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 26, 2014
This monitor has worked perfectly with my Raspberry Pi. I use it for long plane trips. For me, it worked out of the box and I didn't have to mess with the Pi's settings. Also I have it running on this ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008YRG5JQ ) power bank so it is completely portable with no need for a plug outlet.

It was simple to do. The supplied power cord plugs into the Red input coming from the LCD. On the other end are 2 wires, red and black. I took a USB cable and cut off one end. When you cut a USB cable there are 4 wires: Red (+), Black (-), White (data +), and Green (data -). Basically you want to only use the Red and Black as you are not using any data here. Solder the Red to the Red and the Black to the Black. Tie off the Green and White and make sure they remain unexposed. Use heat shrink to make it look neat. Then I just plugged the USB end into the EasyAcc 5v 2.1A (or lower even) and you have a portable screen for your Pi. You can actually run both the screen and the Pi from the bank using the 5v 1.3A for the Pi.

A few things to note:

1. If you intend to use the Yellow Component Video for the LCD, you must NOT have an HDMI connected when you boot up the Pi. Even if you unplug the HDMI it will not switch to the Component if the HDMI was plugged in when you booted.

2. There is no blue or fuzzy screen on the LCD nor is there a power button. Meaning that if you do not have a video signal it will remain as though it is not on at all. So even if you supply power to the LCD, it will not turn on until there is video to display.
33 comments|52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2012
This is a nice monitor for a backup camera if mounted close to the driver. I mounted it on the ceiling above the rear view mirror and the picture is big enough to see. The image appears within a second or two after shifting into reverse when the monitor and camera are wired to the backup lights.

There are 3 buttons on the back for adjusting the image. The swivel joint on the back allows a small range of angle adjustment and can be rotated 360 degrees, but the base plate will sometimes hit the back of the monitor. It comes with an adhesive pad for mounting, but it's only good for smooth flat surfaces. I drilled holes for screws. There is a large bump on the cable where the 3 wires come together so you need to drill a hole bigger than 1/2 inch to thread the cable through.

PS: it takes a LONG time to install a backup camera if you want it to look nice. It took me days of work to remove trim panels and hide all the wires. It's not a simple job.

Update January 2013:
This monitor has been working perfectly for a year now, so I've added a star to my rating. I virtually never give anything more than 4 stars.
33 comments|72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2013
Considering it was very cheap, this screen is great. There are a few things you should be aware of:

- Says 640x480 on the box but 480x272 on the included manual. I believe 480x272 is correct.
- If you want to take the contrast up from 50 to 100 (recommended), be prepared to press that button 50 times....
- There is no visual on the screen until you give an input to either AV1 or AV2 (yellow and white jacks respectively).
on July 23, 2012
We are using this monitor with GoPro Hero2 video cameras and are working to make a rechargeable battery pack that will fit inside the monitor itself. I will share as much information as possible!

Voltage/Current/Power
10.4v / .14a / 1.456w
11.0v / .13a / 1.43w
11.6v / .12a / 1.392w
12.0v / .12a / 1.44w [highest recommended voltage]

We will try and use 3 lithium cells, but due to the tiny amount of space in the unit, we may end up using only 2 cells although this will cause lower efficiency according to the test results.
88 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2014
Bought the 4.3in screen for use with a Raspberry Pi, works pretty well. Picture is much clearer than expected, and has acceptable color and contrast.Mine Differs slightly from the product picture in that it doesn't have an ugly silver "TFT" sticker and is also lacking the plastic embellishments on either side of the screen and I'm very pleased with it's black nondescript appearance. The "sun visor" on top can be removed. The buttons on back are not labeled, but aren't hard to figure out. The instruction manual is written in engrish, and only contains product specifications. Mine claims to support 6-32v 3w input, but the power circuit gets quite hot through the back of the screen. I am able to power it at 5v 1a by wiring the power cable to a USB plug and using a 1amp phone charger.

When initially plugging in, the picture from the Pi was flickery and not in full screen, but was easily fix by editing and adding values in the config.txt by entering: sudo nano /boot/config.txt

And then modifying:

overscan_left=8
overscan_right=20
overscan_top=16
overscan_bottom=10

tl;dr version: Looks excellent for the price, works well with Rasperry Pi, runs on 5v1a phone charger.

EDIT 9/1/2014: After using a multimeter, it looks like the current draw is less than 300mA @ 5v from a 1A phone charger, so it should be theoretically possible to power the screen through the
RasPi's GPIO pins, though it may get close to tripping the Pi's poly fuse.
review image review image
on September 17, 2013
Sorry for yelling, lol. While reading the reviews for this product (before I ordered) I saw people complaining that the monitor was DOA, that it didn't have enough instructions, etc. First of all, if you even need instructions to install something like this, you should not order it. Go buy it somewhere that will install it for you. Second, this monitor looks as though it does not power up when you hook it up to power. IT WILL NOT SHOW A PICTURE, WITHOUT A SIGNAL!. You have to hook something up to it (in my case, a back up camera) in order to see it's working. Anyway, I just received this product, and do not have it installed in a vehicle yet. I did, however, hook it up to a 12 volt power supply, and a back up cam, and tested it. Therefore this review does not reflect how long this little monitor will last. Although for the price, I wouldn't expect forever. There are two reasons that I gave this 4 stars, and not 5. The mounting bracket limits installation options a bit. It has a "ball in socket" joint on the back, but due to the way the shaft is designed, there is not enough range of motion. Also, the distance scale that it shows on the screen, is metric. I don't know about you all, but I live in the U.S.A. and, while I can judge distance, I would rather it be in feet, then meters. Over all, from what I can tell, if you want better, pay more. So far, I am pleased with this product for the price.
on October 16, 2013
This thing consumes power even when there is not video input, plugged into a 2s 2000mah lipo and left it overnight, 8.3v down to 3.5v
review image review image review image review image
on November 29, 2012
Got this to use with a cheap little back up camera I already bought. Works perfectly, starts up immediately when it has a signal from putting the vehicle in reverse. As previously mentioned the mount is not very useful, it doesn't adjust much and feels a bit cheap. I removed it and used velcro to fix it to a bracket I installed in my car. Now what no one tells you is it doesn't adjust the picture, say if you want the picture revered/mirrored so make sure that the camera you buy does. Very clear picture, easily seen and helps a lot. It has a second input for another feed if you need it. You just connect it to a ignition power supply and when you pop it into reverse it activates.
on January 3, 2016
Worked perfectly! Had to order a second because the first one came out with a dead pixel. I use it for my portable FPV setup for my DJI Phantom and GoPro. The first and second monitor each came with a different box, so that's something to keep in mind however everything else was the same.
on March 14, 2015
Great little screen. I have been using it for FPV. The screen is a little dark but for the price it works perfect for watching your aerial toy while in the air. The Screen does not use that much power. It works perfectly fine off the LiPo I use for my receiver. Overall a great screen for FPV if you don't have a lot of sunlight to your back which will make the screen dark