‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good discussion starter, August 1, 2011
This review is from: Reason for God Pack, Includes One DVD and One Discussion Guide (Paperback)
I bought this product for a small group at my church, hoping to get in touch with those who haven't been interested in Bible study but were still looking for something intellectually grabbing. When I first started reading "The Reason For God", I was skeptical whether it would be too alienating for my mostly theologically-liberal congregation. I have been pleasantly surprised, however, with the discussions that have been sparked in the first two sessions. The DVD has been helpful in getting the ball rolling, even with those who haven't had the chance to read the chapter yet.

Two other observations: This book is somewhat academic, and the 6 sessions don't line up directly with the order of the chapters in the book. I had one person buy the book, begin reading, and back out of the study because she'd rather keep her faith "simple". I got around the chapter order issue by letting participants read the book in order and then just selecting the DVD session that matched the chapter. So far, this adaptation has been fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful whether you are a person of faith or not, December 7, 2011
The series of six short videos by Tim Keller discussing issues to the Christian faith with a diverse collection of people who self-identify as not being religious is very helpful to anyone with interest in such matters. First off, it is a thoughtful and civil discussion, an element many are sure to find appealing in the prevailing climate where parties of differing views are too readily on the attack. Second, many people operate and voice their opinions out of some ignorance of the subject, and this series of short videos helps dispel myths about what the truth claims of Christianity are and their implications for life and action. Moreover, it will help those with a strong faith to understand the issues that non-believers struggle with. In my experience, knowing well what the other side believes in a discussion makes for better interchange of ideas and a more civil society. Third, each video is only about twenty minutes so it is easy to re-watch and not too much to take in at once. Finally, the leader discussion guide, while designed to help a leader facilitate, also makes good reading because it fleshes out some of the points and discussion from the video. All in all, virtually anyone can utilize this product and come away with a better appreciation for what is going on in someone who does not share their convictions about faith and the Christian religion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for an adult Bible study, June 30, 2011
A. Ralston (Oxford, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
I used this for an adult Bible study, and it was one of the best video series we have done. The conversations between Pastor Keller and the participants were respectful and generated a lot of discussion in our group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, March 2, 2013
Very astute at helping one understand what's really behind the objections and doubts about the Christian faith from many who are searching for answers in today's culture. Especially eye-opening and thought-provoking when studied in combination with Mr. Keller's best-selling book by the same title.

These resources really helped me get in touch again with some of the doubts and questions I held before I was a believer, and by doing so, strengthened my own faith. He points out that non-belief is a chosen belief and very clearly articulates the false logic and misconceptions that so easily lead many to dismiss the Bible and Christian faith. Thought-provoking and a great resource for anyone who cares about representing our faith to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great group material, March 26, 2014
D. Harris (Upstate SC, USA) - See all my reviews
I used this for a Sr. High sunday school class, and it worked perfectly. Each session on the DVD is about 25 minutes, but I easily split them in half to allow for a lot of discussion. And being a filmed discussion, it easily leads people into natural questions about this material. The material itself is pretty heavy, so if you're using it with younger folks you need to come prepared and should probably split it up. The conversational style is truly what makes this stand out - hearing the questions from actual seekers makes for a much bigger impact.

The subject matter is important for a few reasons. I feel the questions that are posed here are real questions most of us have from time to time, and it's important to arm ourselves and others with answers to these questions. When we or our friends have doubts, we will have a quick answer, or at least a springboard for some critical thought on the matter.

I was surprised the teenagers grabbed on to it so well, since it's not particularly entertaining or flashy production value. But the content is compelling, and you can tell the heart Timothy Keller has for the lost. I plan to run this series with some adults at some point, and maybe make it a recurring group for new believers. It's important we don't just leave these kinds of questions to "just have faith" platitudes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well done., February 17, 2014
I did not give it a full 5 stars because it left me wanting to hear more. I also would like to know whether any of the participants came away with a better understanding of what a Christian is and is not. There are not comments from the panel about their reaction to Keller's responses. The most fascinating part of the video is watching how Keller responds to the comments made by the panel. Good lessons for anyone who is defending our faith.
The discussion Guide is very helpful. Probably not absolutely necessary but does provide additional insight.
We used it in a small group and almost always had plenty of discussion after viewing the DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reason for God Group Study, December 2, 2012
We are using this as a small group study in our church. It has assisted in many discussions concerning the various topics brought up in the sessions. The fact that there is a broad background of people sharing their opinions and questions has made it easier for the ones in our group to ask questions. I would recommend this study for any group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, eye-opening, humble, November 19, 2012
Tim Keller bravely and humbly invites 6 non-Christians to a discussion of the main objections people have with Christianity. Everyone is open, honest and vulnerable ... including Tim! An excellent example of how to defend your faith in a respectful and loving way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest and helpful, September 8, 2012
This video of 6 conversations addressing common intellectual objections to the faith is instructive. You get to see Keller answering those objections in an honest and open dialogue. I recommend this for discussion-based groups. The discussion guide is quite good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly a reason to read, March 31, 2014
Best book I've read in 10 years on sharing one's faith. The DVD is so practical and helpful for all who desire to share their faith with their heart and intellect intact!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Reason for God Pack, Includes One DVD and One Discussion Guide
Reason for God Pack, Includes One DVD and One Discussion Guide by Timothy Keller (Paperback - October 30, 2010)
$36.99 $23.94