Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Format: Audio CDChange

If you are a fan of Reba McEntire, or country music, or country-pop music, or if you just like good music, or know someone who does, then you should buy this album immediately.

Like, right now.

I mean it!

The first single from this album will knock your socks off. "Because of You" is a remake of the Kelly Clarkson hit from her album Breakaway, and of course Clarkson joins Reba both for the single, and for the video, which will also keep those socks flying. I think the video is one of my all time favorites, so make sure you check out these two beautiful ladies in a stunning performance. (Can you tell that I really like this song?)

For an encore, Reba teams up with Mr. Sexyback Justin Timberlake for single number two, "The Only Promise that Remains", and even though Reba completely overpowers Justin vocally, he gets props for writing the song. Also try "When You Love Someone Like That" with LeAnn Rimes, also on her album Family; "Faith in Love" (featuring Rascal Flatts); and especially "Everyday People" (featuring Carole King)

Other tracks feature Ronnie Dunn, Trisha Yearwood, Kenny Chesney, Vince Gill, Faith Hill and Don Henley, and believe me, there's not a stinker in the lot.

Amanda Richards, November 11, 2007
1212 comments26 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 18, 2007
2007 marks Reba's 30th year as a recording artist. Over the past several albums she's kind of been adrift but with "Duets" she's back to her old self. The songs on here are very country sounding. Even when she's singing with Kelly Clarkson ("Because Of You") or Justin Timberlake ("The Only Promise That Remains") she is still very country. Reba makes Clarkson's "Because Of You" her own. "Every Other Weekend" with Kenny Chesney is also a standout (and I'm not a Chesney fan at all). The whole album is just great, each song has something to offer. If you're a fan of the 80's and early 90's Reba, you won't be dissappointed.
0Comment24 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 19, 2007
Reba's latest album, "Duets" is one of the best duet albums I've heard. Except for a few minor setbacks, it's an exceptional CD. The album has both country duets ("Every Other Weekend" with Kenny Chesney - the best song of the album) and more adult contemporary-leaning duets ("Because of You" with Kelly Clarkson). Other highlights include "Faith In Love" with Rascal Flatts, "Sleeping With The Telephone" with Faith Hill, "She Can't Save Him" with Trisha Yearwood and "Break Each Other's Hearts Again" with Don Henley. The two tracks I really didn't care for were "The Only Promise That Remains" with Justin Timberlake (who barely sings on the song) and "Because of You" with Kelly Clarkson, probably because country radio has overplayed it so much. Carole King surprisingly fits in nicely on the CD with "Everyday People", despite the fact that she and Reba have such different and distinct voices. The only other drawback to this fine album is it's length. It's much too short. I would have loved to have heard duets with singers like Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, Martina McBride, Brad Paisley, Dolly Parton or even Bon Jovi. Maybe she'll do another duets album.
on September 18, 2007
As a long-time Reba fan, I was looking forward to this album, and I sure wasn't disappointed. It's got to rank as one of her best ever. She insisted that all the guest artists sing live with her in-studio, rather than recording their parts separately, (a request which she said threw Don Henley at first), and I think this adds a bit of a spark to the performances. The Redhead herself sounds simply wonderful. Absolutely nobody sounds or sings like she does.

LeAnn Rimes kicks things off into high gear with "When You Love Someone Like That", as older woman Reba helps her recover from a broken heart. Reba and Trisha Yearwood do a great Country turn with "She Can't Save Him". And Reba & Rascal Flatts blend so beautifully together on "Faith in Love" that it could go for radio adds tomorrow, and be a smash. And speaking of smashes, there's the Kelly Clarkson duet, "Because of You", a true triumph for both women.

Nobody does a story song like Reba, and there are two terrific ones here. Listen to Reba and Kenny Chesney tell the story of a broken marriage as they exchange their children, "Every Other Weekend". And Faith Hill and Reba tear it up as two neighbors fearing for their policeman/soldier husbands, and "Sleeping With The Telephone."

There are wonderful turns by Vince Gill, Don Henley, Carole King, and a beautiful ballad with Justin Timberlake, "The Only Promise That Remains". But my favorite is the most "Country" song on the album. Years ago, Reba wrote a little. Her earliest albums contain a few of her songs. Ronnie Dunn of Brooks and Dunn insisted she write with him for this project, and the result is "Does The Wind Still Blow in Oklahoma", as two Okies, stranded in the wilds of California, call home to their parents to tell them they've found each other. Stone Cold Country, and simply great.

This is the last album on Reba's MCA contract. If she doesn't re-sign with them, you can be sure she went out with a bang. And no matter where she next hangs her musical hat, let's hope Reba Duets II is part of the plan.
on September 18, 2007
Reba McEntire to me is one of a dying breed in country music and music in general - a true singer and stylist. She is completely original, unique and she can SING. Her music doesn't have to be about the arrangment or the musical style because her voice always soars above whatever is behind or around it. On this album, she is singing arguably better than ever. Much like Dolly Parton, age has done nothing but enhance her vocal ability. I do not listen to today's country radio and had previously only heard Because of You with Kelly Clarkson on CMT Crossroads. Their performance was impressive and chilling and the studio version is even moreso. It's simply electrifying and Reba's soaring and delicate vocals easily make it one of her most impressive recordings. The duet with Ronnie Dunn is like Reba in the early days with a twang that's been a rarity in her albums since the 1990s. The duet with Justin Timberlake is a pleasant surprise with a unique (for Reba) sound. In general, this is a set of high quality songs with Reba's voice front and center. All of her partners are vocally well matched and most of the songs are robust and powerful. The woman is absolutely incredible!
on February 6, 2008
This cd is so perfect with all these artist join in and express everything through the music. Reba will always be sucessful to me, everything she has sung, her music fits alot of my life from the past to the future. Broken hearts is a favorite of mine.
on September 18, 2007
Did anyone else notice how much younger Reba sounds on this record? In particular on the duet with Faith Hill, I thought she sounded even younger than Faith. That said, this is definitely one of the better country albums right now, and track for track I find it more listenable that more `commercial' country like Carrie Underwood. In fact in many ways Reba is what country music is all about - wholesome, old fashioned, and nourishing. Even though she has invited a slew of very `pop' performers on this record, she still manages to retain a very country flavor, and while this is a short album (its' only drawback) it has some amazing moments.

First of all, I have to say that the major disappointment for me was her duet with Kelly Clarkson. I saw them sing this live once on television and that version was far superior to this stripped down soul-less version here. It's the least country sounding song, and not a very good remake. In fact, Kelly's own version from her "Breakaway" album was better than this, honestly. However, that's the only misstep. Track 1 is a duet with LeAnn Rimes and brings back to mind Crystal Gayle in her heyday. I especially loves the duet with Trisha Yearwoos - "She Can't Save Him", which is quite poignant. In all the duets with women, Reba makes it a point to shine much brighter. On some tracks with men, the male vocals are relegated to background status (such as on the weak Justin Timberlake song - I didn't care too much for it). I don't know why this is, but on the flip side, you do get to hear more of Reba, so that's a good thing. Standout tracks include the duet with Faith Hill, and the really beautiful Kenny Chesney number.

Heres the thing, if you like variety on your country album, this is the one for you. Its not monotonous, which is more than I can say for other country releases lately. So far, this is definitely the best country release of 2007, miles ahead of the Rascal Flatts CD. Rebas done it again.
on October 12, 2007
I really enjoyed some of the songs, but found myself wishing I could hear the other people singing, especially Justin Timberlake. Everyone knows Reba can belt a song, but a duet should showcase both performers.
0Comment18 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2007
I admit I was skeptical about a duets album when Reba first mentioned it almost a decade ago. As a Reba fan, I enjoy when she sings with others but I much prefer her lone voice bringing to life a song because no one else does it as well as she does. However, as any good fan would, I purchased this album as soon as it was available - even pre-ordered two separate copies to ensure I had all the extras - and I am thrilled with the result of Reba's hard work and incredible vision. She has brought together an eclectic group of singers to create a truly beautiful album. Whether she's tackling tough issues ("She Can't Save Him" with Trisha Yearwood) or applauding the goodness of the world ("Everyday People" with Carole King), she does it with the same pure voice and unwavering spirit she has made famous in the past 31 years. That she is joined by musical stars of different genres and generations only makes the album stronger and more vibrant, which I did not think was possible. My personal favorite fluctuates between the clearly-country "Does the Wind Still Blow in Oklahoma," a duet with Ronnie Dunn, and the heartbreaking "Break Each Other's Hearts Again," a duet with the legendary Don Henley. The big surprise is, of course, Justin Timberlake and his Celtic love song ("The Only Promise That Remains"). Reba shines as she sings the soft words. Then again, Reba shines from the beginning to the end of this album, a must have for any music lover.
on September 19, 2007
Never have I felt the urge to write a review for a CD as I do today. Reba Duets is really a wonderful CD with many different tracks which should make most country fans happy. In reading the reviews, it is ironic how everyone has different favorites - I thought the Justin Timberlake song was poignant and impressive. Never saw that one coming. The tracks I was not thrilled about were the ones I was really looking forward to - Vince Gill and Trisha Yearwood. I think what made these songs weak to my ears was there was less harmony in those tracks - more "Your turn to sing" kinda songs. I enjoyed all the rest - and hope to be hearing many of these singles out on the charts soon. Of course, I loved, loved the Kelly Clarkson duet which is out and either #1 or #2 on the country charts. Kelly should be kissing Reba's feet that she entered a new genre previously shut to her. Reba's voice totally controls the song with a maturity to me that Kelly doesn't have yet. As like everyone else, I hope a Duet 2 is in the future.