Rebel Heart
Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$0.00

on July 5, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I picked up this book knowing it's a little off the usual romance books I used to pick and glad I did.
The heroine is a joy to get to know as a character. She has her own skill in which she more than excels and yet we are shown her own flaw. In a world where knowledge is power, she remained incorruptible despite the weapons available at her disposal. That being said, she never appeared or sounded like a too clean character because the author did a good job in showing why she has that integrity. I love that her flaw was not emphasized as a major issue and did not became annoying as most stories did.
The hero is just as interesting, he is a typical alpha male without the major weight of a chip on his shoulder to make him hard to like. What I like about him is that his honor has value/weight on every decision he made yet they did not made him a robot-like character especially when it came with decisions regarding the heroine.
The characters' development is believable to me and even the conflicts in the story are very plausible. Of course I am not an avid futuristic romance reader so my comparisons are very limited. Still, the book pulled me in and made me care what happens to the characters, not just the main ones since three secondary characters held my attention as well.
One thing I also liked about the book is that an issue or a problem between the characters appear and are solved within a chapter or two in a believable way. What I mean is that problems are not stretched so thin just to have conflicts between characters, great pacing too.
Overall, this is a book that held my attention from beginning to end with believable characters, intriguing world, and great plot. I will definitely read more of this author's books.
on July 13, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I enjoyed this book very much and couldn't put it down!

A nuclear war has destroyed much of the US and life has changed drastically for the survivors. Lana is a federal security agent who has the keys to some very sensitive weaponry and information. Her guardian, Brady, is a alpha army type guy who is charged to protect her and bring her to safety.

This was my first book to read by this author, but definitely won't be my last. I highly recommended this book- it has the right blend of sci-fi, romance and paranormal elements. Its definitely worth 5 stars!
on September 1, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
The story begins well enough with a young woman, who is an elite and entitled person, in the employ of Mr. Tim. Apparently there are genetically enhanced male and female soldiers and we are in the middle of a war. It appears to be a civil war between the east and west, with nuclear bombs having been dropped somewhere. The Appalachian Mountains are filled with caves and hideouts, in addition to supply posts and hospitals for the differing factions. We learn that in addition to Mr. Tim's 13 male children that our heroine is also his blood daughter. She becomes involved with one of the soldiers who is her Guardian. Now it's turning into hot lust and a lot of doubts and, of course, we know how that relationship will end. The big soldier coming to the rescue of the fair damsel who is trying to get the keys of the horseman to the west somewhere. I am three quarters of the way through this book and it reads like a trashy novel and I don't think I can finish it.
on September 8, 2012
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
Okay, so the plot and action in this was incredible. And the supporting characters [Elise and Dan!!!] were amazing. But why on earth the author thought any reader would believe that two people who share a few phone conversations in a apocalyptic setting would fall in love in two weeks, is beyond my understanding. The main character is smart but oh-so-annoying for her timidity, naivety, and frailty and its made even worse that the author goes out of her way to show that she needs to be saved from everything every time by a man, her 'Guardian', the cheesy soap opera name given to Brady, the agent designed with protecting her. And the characters keep calling each other their cheesy code names throughout the book {'My dear Angel...' 'I trusted Guardian...'). It's like, gimme a break! Hello, you people are,what, 30 years old!!! Can we act a little grown up and not like the leading actors on a spanish Telemundo show.

Besides the major cheese factor oozing from this book, the futuristic setting was detailed enough for my understanding and enjoyment. In fact, the technology they used are all things we have now (lol). I do think the politics in the book was over simplified the way you would be simplifying the current situation in this country by saying "there's a gap between the have's and have not's" as if it's that easily understood. The PMF (poor man's front), the feel-good pep talks everyone gives about equality and elitism fall flat, particularly because we don't have any background info on how the war even started.

Overall, the book was still a page turner,not for the romance, but everything else, honestly. The heroine is immature when times call for quiet strength, weak when she needs to be strong, crying when times call for resolution, and is sheltered (which is admitted in the book). I think the strong points are just enough to make this book readable, but this is by an author who prides herself on finishing books quickly, and I think she needs to reconsider that strategy. Quality outdoes quantity, hon.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2013
[...]
This post will be on Rebel Heart by Lizzy Ford. I am going to be straight up about this. I hated it. The story made no sense, the characters were dull, and the setting was plain.
Plot: The problem with the plot was that there wasn't one. I had no idea who the bad guys were, who the heroine and hero were running from and what was so damn bad about them. I can't say anything besides that because that was all i got.
Characters: Lana was boring and was a coward. She hid behind people, let people die, and wouldn't tell people who were trying to help important information. She was stupid and has no personality. Brady was a bit better in the personality department but has too much personality. Like he was two different people. One second he is nice the next he is mad and killing things. No exaggeration. The whole story was silly and pointless. I see why it was so cheep on my Kindle.
My final say is don't read this. I personally give it 0 stars. It was that bad. Also this story contains sex but there is no graphic recounting or happening of it. They say it happen and that's that. I'll go with 14+ to read this one, but as i said before don't waste your time or money.
~Cat
To get a summary of the book here is the link:
Rebel Heart Lizzy Ford
on July 9, 2012
Format: Kindle Edition
I must admit, I am a sucker for futuristic/dystopian novels. So when I saw this book, I bought it immediately.
I've never read a book by Lizzy Ford before, but as soon as I finish writing this review, I am going to go find her other books.
Lana and Brady are the main characters. Lana is a top analyst who has access to information even the president doesn't have. Brady is a major, an incredibly strong and skilled guy. They, along with Mr. Tim, they must vanquish the war brewing between the East and the West.
This book was well-written and required major skillls to write. Lizzy Ford has those skills. Plus this book was free! Who doesn't love free Kindle books? (Can I get an amen?)
So if you like romance+adventure+futuristic-ism, dowoad this book now.

~Kelly
2.5* or may be 3*

The Plot:
The plot was GREAT - not unique but definitely engrossing and one of the best in the SciFi/ futuristic genre. Based in the year 2135 AD, the wealth gap between the rich and the poor has expanded to the extent that there is no middle class. Only laborers and the elite 1%.

The Story:
Unfortunately this is where the book suffers. There are far too many gaps in the story. There is a lack of detail, description and history, which combined with the characters that didn't make much sense - it left a lot to be desired. I think so much could have been done to elevate this into a brilliant story.

Length of Story:
I think the story suffers (perhaps predominantly) due to it's length - because this type of plot is generally an Epic - not a short story. I have read a few works that deal with a few aspects of a revolution or an apocalypse - but the protagonist in those stories have a small part to play and it's just a glimpse of their life in that period.

Background of Story:
As mentioned above - there is a serious lack of detail to this story where gaps appear because it's not been well thought out. The story starts during an attack (a civil war had erupted prior to this) and the world was in chaos. Most of the Army is in Europe - but it doesn't help that there is a Regular Army and an Elite Army (the Elite 1% have their own army made up with their own people). The political and economical issues are not fleshed out. We understand there is a 1% - but I'm assuming this 1% are the corporate entities that did this - but where do they live and in what condition compared to the 1% - what is the democratic situation - we notice there are politicians - but whom do they represent (yes I know the 1%) but in which and what way etc.

Gaps to the story:
1. if this is the future where Scientist have discovered medicine to treat radiation, than surely there ought to be efficient and quick means of transport that will allow armies to relocate quicker than the pace it takes here.

2. There appears to be very little difference between the Regular Army and the Elite Army. Both seem to posses similar literacy levels - if the divide between rich a poor was so great - this ought to be reflected in speech, manners and so forth.
In fact - there is a member of the Elite Army (Elise) who appears to be far more "common" in speech and deportment than the Regular Army (I appreciate she's in the army but it's an Elite army - one can expect a little class).

3. The fighting style doesn't make sense. There are weapons which resemble drones but why are the Elite army not using these to control the rebels?
And the rebels appear to have (in their possession) fancy weapons considering their poor man status. Even with their sympathsiers within the Elite - it just seemed too contrived.

4. Mr Tim appears to have far too much power. The 1% would be better monitored I'd imagine but the protagonist Lana and Mr Tim appear to control everything or have access to everything. What happened to the CIA or any other monitoring govt agency?

5. Brady (the hero) doesn't seem to be that concerned about the secret Lana (the protagonist) is hiding - despite his position as a commander of a large rebel branch. By this year I would imagine there would be extremely creative means of coercing this information from a hostage.

6. If the 99% have become so poor as to become labourers - I am assuming taxes aren't raised to provide an education and hence this ought to be distinguishable (in speech, knowledge etc), however, the difference between the 1% and 99% isn't very visible.

There are many other gaps - but those are a few examples.

The Characters:
Lana - the heroine - is a bit of a wet blanket - the damsel in distress cliche. She's extremely intelligent but has been sheltered. Very sweet and delicate. There are things that i admired about her - such as her intelligence. However, I think it would have been better if in the story she was more robot like - serving the 1% blindly until she becomes aware of the truth from her sheltered bubble.

Brady - the hero - is very much the hero type. A bit too cliched (tall, dark and handsome Knight/ Warrior saves damsel in distress). He's also meant to be part of the 99% however, surely the gap between him and Lana would be far more distinguishable in their speech, education and knowledge? Considering the remaining 99% have gone so far down to labourer status - it doesn't really make sense that he's just as articulate as her.

Mr Tim - is a sleazy politician who is a 99% sympathiser despite being part of the 1%. He doesn't make much sense and the revelations about him are seriously stupid. Just too contrived and predictable.

Dan & Elise - Dan is a solider of the Poor Man's Front (and part pf the regular army) while Elise is part of the 1% Elite. However, Dan appears far more gentlemanly and one would assume part of the 1% than Elise. However, Elise is a bada$$ and it would have been nicer if the author spent more on their story as they were a lot more interesting than our moody hero and our sap of a heroine.

The Romance:
The was a bit cringe worthy. I think it would have been better if Lana wasn't so bowled over by the hero, chasing him around. And the whole bargaining thing was vomit inducing sappy and silly. It was immature and embarrassing to read.

There were in fact a few cringe worthy silly moments such as Lana's grandparents story. Grandfather was part of the Elite who gives it all up for his labourer wife (because they have so much in common) and they die holding hands and still in love. I kid you not.

Anyway - not an overall terrible read but I would read it again.
on December 13, 2014
Format: Kindle Edition
Much ado about nothing. This book was chapter upon chapter of very hard to folow political & military history, therories, & plot explanations. The author tried to weave a love story in the fray, but it was awkward and forced. The MCs spent most of ghe book apart or completely at odds with each other only to suddenly find a happy ending in the last page of the book, literally . The political / military \ war plot wasnt ever resolved in the least...the book just ended with in the middle of chaos that the MCs decided it would be best to tuck ass and run from!dont waste your time!!!
on April 2, 2013
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This was a wonderful read. I liked the fact that Lana wasn't the typical heroine that puts herself in trouble. I'm all for girl power but let's be realistic. You're more likely to meet a smart woman who can't shoot a gun to save her life than a kickass bitch. Romance with Brady was a nice touch to the story. I wish some of her friends were more developed characters though. I think it would have spiced up the story.

This clearly is a dystopian novel. We have Lana that has kind of an important job even though she shouldn't according to her social status but she's been taken care off by this friend of the family that is pretty politically important and he made sure she got proper education and later the job she has now.

She discovers something about a certain corrupt politician that threatens the existence of the social order as it is and she destroys the government building that was sort of a command center and runs for her life with a certain object that shouldn't fall in the wrong hands.

She falls in the hands of the rebels and falls in love with the leader which kind of confuses her because he was also the "voice" that was guiding her to safety ever since her family friend informed her it's time for the emergency procedure.

The book has risky missions, explosions, fights, intrigue, seduction and a sexy hero.
on August 6, 2014
Rebel Heart by Lizzy Ford
5 stars

I have a soft spot for military related books, and this definitely connected with me enough to drag me in. I LOVED this book!! It is one of my top 5 favorites of Lizzy's, and I've read them all to date.

Lana is the brainy nerdy type, and finds that she can dig deep within to try and survive all that see is suddenly thrown into. Growing up sheltered, taken, provided for, and given upper class advantages did not really prepare her for all the challenges she had to fight to survive. She is not a weak heroine, rather one that is having to quickly adapt.

Brady is not all that he seems on the surface. He is definitely the strong military hero type, with a definite sense of right and wrong.

As Lana and Brady are first thrown together, they start a friendship, a level of trust, and a bond. When they are finally face to face they find a chemistry to support and enhance all they'd already built. It was great to watch the relationship grow from friendship first.

I appreciated that this was not a total lust-filled romance that overtook the surrounding story of an Armageddon type world. I could re-read this and catch new things each time. This is a stand-alone book, but I definitely would read any sequels if Lizzy ever decided to add more to the story.