Canon Rebel XT DSLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens (Silver) (OLD MODEL)
Used & New from: $145.00
Rebel XT vs XTi Is it worth paying almost an extra $200 to get the XTi? I'm debating whether to get the Rebel XT or XTi, and really can't decide...
asked by S. Huang on August 14, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 answers
A
votes
I'm no expert, but during my research on the same question I found the following:

1) The difference between The 8MP on the XT and 10MP on the XTi is virtually undetectable until you attempt very large prints. At standard sharp resolution (300 DPI) even a 7.2 MP camera will give you an excellent 8X10 print. You really need 12MP over an 8MP camera to see results in smaller prints. Unless you think you'll print larger than 12X16, your eye likely won't detect any difference in quality between the XT and XTi.

2) The XTi has more Megapixels on the same sensor - this can add more noise at higher ISO settings and from my research it seems the XT may actually take a sharper picture in many cases. But for your own opinion - here is a head to head XTi - TX picture comparison: http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=732

3) Opinions on the noise levels of the XTi vary, here is a good conversation on the subject, some here own both XT and XTi: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=20548088

4) The XTI's dust cleaning system is as yet unproven - meaning that many owners of the XTi (professional and otherwise) are not exactly convinced the dust removal feature does what its supposed to.

Over all, I found that some people were rather irritated with Canon - theorizing that Canon simply put out an XTi 10-mega pixel model with a few bells and whistles to compete with the other manufacturers. In effect, canon created technologically superior camera that may take inferior photographs. The XTi is an excellent camera, but perhaps not a clear upgrade over the XT.

On the upside, the XTi does have a bigger LCD screen and a 9-point auto focus. The XT has a 7-point system that some say can have issues auto focusing with faster lenses. Those faster lenses are typically very expensive and professional grade so the majority of amateur / semi-pro XT users have no complaints.

After my research, I went with the XT. Hope this helps
Allan answered on September 19, 2007

A
votes
The Rebel XT has been on the US market for about 30 months now, and I expect it to be discontinued before Christmas.

I say get the Rebel XTi. The price difference is more like $150. You get 25% larger image from the XTi. But the real bonus is in the new self-cleaning sensor and dust-removal function. When you notice dust spots on your XT (as I do), you'll kick yourself for not getting the XTi.
NLee the Engineer answered on August 14, 2007

A
votes
The Rebel XT and XTi have the same size (APS-C) sensors. The XTi crammed 25% more pixels in the same area, so the light intensity on each pixel is 20% weaker (compared to that for XT). Howver, I don't think 10MP is approaching the optical limit for an APS-C sensor.

Case in point: the sensor inside a typical Point-and-Shoot digital camera is less than 1/4 the size of a APS-C sensor, and it can capture up to 8MP. (I do agree that the quality of a 8MP picture taken from a P&S camera is far inferior to that from any DSLR)

Manually cleaning the sensor of the Rebel XT is not for the faint of heart. Supposedly you can buy some thrid-party sensor cleaning kit to do it yourself. But I still have not gethered enough confidence to do it, and so my XT sensor is still dusty.
NLee the Engineer answered on August 17, 2007

A
votes
I own them both, and have been using them in my portriat studio for a while now. i'll say this, theres really not much difference in the two cameras, a few minor upgrades in the xti, what it boils down to is image quality, and from what i've seen they are equal. Just as fyi, I have been able to get prints as large as 20x30 from both cameras with excellent results.
Garth Gerold Jones answered on October 30, 2007

A
votes
I recently purchased an XT myself. My understanding is that if your not making posters, those 2 MP are not worth the difference in price. In all the research I did (and I did a lot), most everyone has said save your money for the lenses. A good lens is what's really going to make the difference in photography with the Canon Rebel.
Amazon Customer answered on October 21, 2007

A
vote
I read somewhere that the XT and XTi have the same sensor, but the XTi has more pixels crammed into it, which is bad for some reason. As for cleaning the sensor, it's not much of a hassle to do that yourself.
E. Mezhiritskaya answered on August 16, 2007

A
votes
Thanks for your review and great job on the research. I need your opinion on something. Although, the current price of the XT and and XTi is less than $200.00. difference, the List price is the XTI is twice as much as the XI. I kind of agree that the XTi isn't really much of an upgrade over the XTi and some of the superior features of the XIT I'm not really to concern about except the 8MP and 10MP. I'm not a proffesional or anything like nor I plan to do large prints, but should I pay those extra bucks just for 10MP? Please help anyone.
Pana answered on October 17, 2007

A
votes
I read somewhere that the XT and XTi have the same sensor, but the XTi has more pixels crammed into it, which is bad for some reason. As for cleaning the sensor, it's not much of a hassle to do that yourself.
E. Mezhiritskaya answered on August 16, 2007
‹ Previous   1   Next ›