5.0 out of 5 stars Review of "Rebuild"
Published 10 months ago by Timothy Yap

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Nearly As Good As The First
It's okay. I gave a solid five-star review for the first album, and there is very little change here, however, I have removed two stars because there are very few hooks on this one, very few memorable songs, and very little that stands out. Where I liked just about every tune on the first cut, there were only two I like on this one:

1. Up From the Ashes
2...
Published 5 months ago by Jonny Lee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of "Rebuild", November 12, 2013
This review is from: Rebuild (Audio CD)
The pitch black setting of their album cover with a zoomed in picture of an object is becoming a patented look for a Letter Black album. While their last record featured a tainted white rose set in a dark background, this time around the object on the album's front is a re-constructed heart with all its nuts and bolts showing. In many ways, the album cover is an apt synopsis of the album's content. In a nocturnal world of begotten sins and brokenness, these 11 songs speak of God's power to heal, forgive and transform our hearts if we let Him. Formed in 2006 by lead vocalist Sarah Anthony and her husband/guitarist Mark initially as a worship team, they slowly evolved into a full-fledged nu-metal rock band. Later they added bassist Matt Beal and drummer Justin Brown to form a four person band. After proving their merit on the road, they were signed to Tooth and Nail Records. "Rebuild" is their third release if you don't count their remix album.

After a number of times the album has been pushed back due to the group's decision to cut more new songs, "Rebuild" is finally before us. And the wait is definitely worth it; "Rebuild" is not only stock full of punchy metallic rock numbers but it also showcases the depths of its lyrics. Sarah Anthony again shows that she's no bimbo nu-metal chic but her songs definitely get our heads swirling. With a symphonic Gothic metallic soar and even some scary screams, the meaning of album opener "Sick Charade" resides in variegated levels. On a cursory level, "Sick Charade" is a break-up song between a girl and her lying and cheating paramour. But on a deeper level, the song speaks of the deceptive nature of how sin enslaves us. Read in such a light, Anthony's resolve to disavow herself from the entanglements of sin is worth emulating: "If you don't know what we're fighting for/Then I won't follow anymore/Disappear, behind the mask you've made/My eyes are wide open now/I can see you through your sick charade."

In a culture where we are experts of delegating our responsibilities and not facing up to our fears, the urgent rocker "Break Out" is a must hear. The single "Pain Killer" is top notched example of how the match making of melodic pop and metallic rock in marriage is possible. The palm-muted power chords, the crunchy guitar extravagance and a sing along melody make "Pain Killer" one of their most accessible tracks on this disc. Maybe it's because of Mark and Sarah's background as worship leaders in a church they have brought in a powerful form of worshipful balladry to the string laden ballad "Found." "Found" and "Up from the Ashes" both deal with hope after we have all messed up in life. Yet, the same theme is communicated in two polar opposite tunes. While "Found" is a gentle ballad, "Up from the Ashes" is an apocalyptic ceiling blowing rock at its loudest.

Though the name of God is never explicitly mentioned, the title cut "Rebuild" is one of the most startlingly honest prayers of helpless before God. Yet, it is in Sarah Anthony's desperate cry for God to rebuild the brokenness in her life, she has put on her lips some of the Letter Black's most spiritually stirring words: "Lift me up and tear me down/If that's what it takes to rebuild/Throwing out the broken pieces/And salvage what's left of my soul." And for those of us who are privileged to hear this prayer, we can't help but say, "Amen."

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Album, November 17, 2013
Eddie (Cypress, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebuild (Audio CD)
A big fan of The Letter Black and I was not disappointed with this album. Signature sound and rocking tracks makes this another great collection. Highly recommended album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, well worth the wait!, November 14, 2013
This review is from: Rebuild (Audio CD)
Really enjoy the album. It's upbeat rock and the words are very uplifting. Buy it and enjoy the sweet melodies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the first, if not better, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Rebuild (Audio CD)
The Letter Black has maintained their success in creating great music with this second album. It's hard for me to decide which I like better. The best songs are those in which both husband and wife sing - they compliment each other well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great band but liked the first album better, May 28, 2014
This review is from: Rebuild (Audio CD)
Really enjoy the band (both as a band and just the people in the band) but, for me, I enjoyed the first album better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get to know this band!, May 9, 2014
This review is from: Rebuild (Audio CD)
I'm an older MetalHead and I've seen it all. I saw this group in Revolver Magazine and thought I'd give them a try. I'm glad I did. If you aren't sure about "girl" metal, get over it. Halestorm has proved there's a definite acceptance to the female led metal band. Although I believe this group stands firmly on their own, there are definite parallels to more "known" bands. This album includes songs which will make you think of the afore mentioned, as well as, bands like Skillet, Bitch, Sister Sin, Vixon, Lee Aaron and more. There is some Vox on here, but I'm not into that and I admit I don't think it works for this group. But, most importantly, is that they are talented and this cd is excellently produced. Obviously, I highly recommend it. Nice to see that there still passion for metal!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Nearly As Good As The First, March 27, 2014

1. Up From the Ashes
2. Smothering Walls

Everything else isn't good or bad. It's just ... meh.

Since the song quality suffers on Rebuild, I see no reason to go any further into reviewing the album. Here's hoping they can step it up on the next release. This one was definitely disappointing. 3/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, March 2, 2014
This review is from: Rebuild (Audio CD)
Fast service, excellent album love the new music! Seen them 3X so far! An amazing live performance, raw talent personified

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, February 19, 2014
This review is from: Rebuild (Audio CD)
The best Letter Black album EVER!!! I got this as a birthday gift for my hubby; and when he returns home from his workout, I can hear him blasting "Rebuild" through the car speakers. Hearing such an awesome message in the lyrics, and seeing my man so pumped up by the inspiring music, is a blessing to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Letter Black is back....Finally!, February 17, 2014
RickF (Madison, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rebuild (MP3 Music)
I was eagerly anticipating the follow up to their debut album and the wait was worth it. This album is every bit as good as "Hanging on by a Thread". Sarah Anthony continues with her strong vocals and some hardcore screams on this album supported by strong guitars and drums. I only wish there was more music after the long wait.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›