5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the original
Published on August 26, 2010 by surforegon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but strange sequel
Decent movie that follows directly from the original, but takes the story in a strange direction. Worth watching but not up to the standards of the original
Published 7 months ago by David J. Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the original, August 26, 2010
This review is from: [REC] 2 (DVD)
Wow. Rarely is a sequel actually better than the original. Especially in the Horror genre where cliches are prevalent and you can't scare people twice with the same tactic. [REC]2 succeeds in all these areas. By introducing more characters, with more action, and more points of view, it surpasses the original. Unlike other "shaky cam" horror movies, [Rec]2 requires the viewer to think after each sequence. Its a great movie. I'll be surprised if the third installment can beat this, although after the huge success of these movies, I think a third is inevitable. This DVD is great. The picture is crystal clear, and the subtitles are perfect. IT IS IN SPANISH WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES. And the deleted scenes have English subtitles. I've seen other versions of this movie on DVD, and this is the only one with English subtitles on the deleted scenes. And to clear up any remaining confusion, the DVD is NTSC format and all-region so it will play in North America.

4.0 out of 5 stars [REC]2: A return to Hell! NO SPOILERS HERE!, March 27, 2011
Daimonion (Oakland, CA.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: [REC] 2 (DVD)
Generally I try to avoid sequels now, as they are for the most part ripoffs. Lazy cash-grabs. As for remakes, well, there isn't a good reason to see one unless the filmmaker's do something different with the material or add to it and make it more interesting in some way. But, of course they don't most times. Also it matters which film is being remade! In other words, I don't like sequels and I don't like remakes.

There are always exceptions to everything, however, and [REC]2 is an example of a sequel that I enjoyed thoroughly. It manages to be non-stop action but without skimping on story at all. There is plenty of eerie atmosphere and a few jump scares. As a sequel should do, it gives us information about what happened to characters that survived the original and also furthered the story, filling in some of the mystery around the first story.

In [REC]2, we follow a group of SWAT team members as they are sent into a quarantined apartment building where a viral outbreak has spread and killed most, turning residents into crazed, violent lunatics. The virus is described as a derivation of rabies. That's about all you should know about the plot going in. I don't want to ruin it for you. Let me say, though, that there are some surprises regarding the virus and it's origins as well as some of the people trying to get in and out of the building and their motives. However, this film does not hinge on plot twists, which is refreshing.

The style in which this film was shot is terrific. It's done in much the same way as the first, only BETTER, as they improved their techniques. It's easier to watch, with less shaky, jerking camera and there's more light so you can tell what's happening easier. These things make it scarier and more intense. Also, there are more cameras, as the SWAT members have helmet cams, giving us more points of view, so the film is interesting in that way. Several scenes reminded me of Aliens, as we get to see through each team member's helmet cam with their last name in the upper corner. It's a terrific idea and makes for some high tension moments.

This is an intense film with good acting and well-done effects. The story is interesting and I liked it even more than the first movie, which is something I hardly ever say!

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel: adds a new dimension to the story., July 10, 2010
I had low expectations story wise for this sequel. I loved the first film. REC 2 takes us through familiar territory for about a half-hour: lots of searching the building. However, there is a religious element to the film that I thought made it more interesting instead of being tacked on. This movie (I state this I think without ruining the film) physiologizes (if that's a word) religious prophecies into an action movie. Very well done. After the religious undertones are established, the plot remains pretty predictable until the last few minutes. The characters again confront the skinny girl from REC using nightvision, but once that scene is established, it takes a surprising and interesting turn.

If you liked the first film, you will enjoy this, but I have to say, considering the first half hour of the film moved in the same way REC did, as well as sort-of re-establishing REC's story, seeing REC before seeing REC 2 isn't a must. Still a great film and gets 5 stars from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe Scariest Movie I've ever seen, October 10, 2012
This review is from: Rec 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
Holy cow - this one was even scarier than the 1st movie. Watching it was kinda like torture... had to turn the volume off multiple times to keep my sanity...

Seriously, the folks who made this move should be locked up - how can someone think up such horrible, scary stuff... Fantastically, scary.

I mean scary on another level... dang...

I love zombie/sickness movies but, this one w/ the religious slant to it just creeped me out!!! Acting was fantastic - just like the 1st movie and the priest in this one - was just great... the casting was perfect... wow...

I knew better than to watch this flick but, I had to... someday, I'll probably watch it again... I don't know if you can make a scarier movie...

4.0 out of 5 stars It was pretty good., July 25, 2013
Landerk (Oklahoma, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: [Rec] 2 (DVD)
This movie picks up right after Rec, by about 3 minutes or so into the movie you realize that this movie is taking place immediately after the first movie, worry not, that is by no means any sort of spoiler. The movie picks up and continues the story, then it jumps around for awhile, same time frame, different perspective. Their is no english language speaking option, but their is english subtitles option. You really need to see Rec before Rec2 or you may spend some time asking, "Ok what is going on". If you have seen Rec this movie will expand so that by the end you will know alot more about what is going on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but strange sequel, January 23, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Rec2 all time spook flick, September 25, 2013
This review is from: [Rec] 2 (DVD)
I loved the movie,it was in a catagory of it's own for scaryness blows insidious and any other movies that are simular away best movies of it's kind away I can't remember seeing a movie which is compairable to it.

3.0 out of 5 stars rec movies are good., July 7, 2013
This review is from: [Rec] 2 (DVD)
I bought Rec 1, 2 and 3 based on recommendations I read that these were extremely well made. They are Spanish, with subtitles, but that doesn't dilute the effect. These are very good. Of the three, 2 is probably the weakest title, but I still give it a 3. 1 and 3 are excellent and I give those a 4. 1 is the movie that Quarantine based itself on. You won't be disappointed with these three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unreal, June 20, 2013
This review is from: Rec 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
Well done, some really intense horrific scenes, you will not be disappointed in this film it is better than the 1st.

3.0 out of 5 stars Alright, May 26, 2013
This review is from: Rec 2 (Amazon Instant Video)
My friend really built this movie up so i must admit i was expecting more but it was alright. Better then rec 3 but not the best horror movie ive seen

[Rec] 2
[Rec] 2 by Paco Plaza (DVD - 2011)
$14.99 $9.19