5.0 out of 5 stars Reverse-Engineering 'Living Things' With Pro Tools
Ready for another Reanimation? Then you're going to have to hold your breath for another forever. Why the five star review then?

Published 8 months ago by Dash Inc.

2.0 out of 5 stars Recharged... Full of EDM Of course
Published 8 months ago by Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars Reverse-Engineering 'Living Things' With Pro Tools, October 29, 2013
This review is from: Recharged (Audio CD)

Any Linkin Park fan knows they avoid genre redundancy when releasing albums, making them number one in my book for sticking to true expressionism. "Cause once you got a theory of how the thing works, everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first. And I'm not a robot, I'm not a monkey." They weren't kidding when they said that. Think about it, what innovative, pioneering artist still around puts out the same exact sounding album over and over and over again and keeps an unreal fan base like LP? No one wants Hybrid Theory after Hybrid Theory, that gets boring real quick from a talented group like LP, and that's one of my favorite albums of all time. But you knew all this already, that's why you're still listening to them. So what makes Recharged reinforce that concept?

Linkin Park's Recharged is their rescaling of the re-work mountain they climbed back in 2002 to get to Reanimation. But instead of conquering this same mountain with styles relevant back then, like rock-turned-rap collaborations and heavy Mr. Hahn mixing, LP updated their arsenal by instead bringing along Pro Tools and avid EDM artists and producers to use it. The end result is riddled with former slivers, and only slivers regarding Reanimation. The other 93% of the album: all the unofficial YouTube fan reworks you've heard before and loved put on an official record label album.

If you're looking for the quasi-Mike Shinoda re-collaboration feel, you'll need to hear this.
If you're looking for LP drenched in synths and dance music loops, you'll need to hear this.
If you're looking for both of the two things previously stated, I don't know why you aren't checking out your shopping cart yet.

Lastly, I couldn't help but laugh at the reviewer who claimed they were trying to sound like everyone else post-Meteora. I'm not sure that statement could be any more wrong. Hybrid Theory through Minutes to Midnight = more genre specific. From A Thousand Suns and afterwards, they've entered an experimental era that doesn't sound like anything or anybody else. Also, they can't sell out to a genre (dubstep) by releasing one single, non-studio album heavily rearranged and mixed by other people entirely. That's like thinking they sold out to East Coast hip-hop when they did one single, non-studio album with Jay Z. Need proof? Album after that = Minutes to Midnight, more rock and metal than any other CD they've released. I'm not making it up, here's a link to it:

Minutes to Midnight

2.0 out of 5 stars Recharged... Full of EDM Of course, October 31, 2013
This review is from: Recharged (Audio CD)
Being a long time Linkin Park Fan, I definitely felt a need to pick this up. Not realizing what i was going to listen to, I started playing it. I enjoyed LIVING THINGS, I really did, but these Remixes are just not something that you would catch me listening. Reanimation had the same concept of gathering some underground hip-hop artists and some more known artists and re-interpret the songs (Which I absolutely liked). Linkin Park used the same concept, but I'm guessing completely different style of music, and well I don't think you can get the same exact result, while changing a bit of the formula, and this just further proves it. I do also understand that Linkin Park barely had anything to do with these remixes (aside from 2 to 3 songs where they added a few lyrics). If you are a fan of EDM buy this, I assure you, you will love it. If your a fan of classical Linkin Park, I recommend you stay away from this release. Here's hoping there 6th release will be better than this "Collaboration"

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth buying :'(, January 4, 2014
This review is from: Recharged (Audio CD)
Please Linkin Park, go back to your roots and start making good music again! And this coming from someone who actually liked Reanimation... I tried listening to this more than two times but I couldn't... Please go back to the days of Hybrid Theory and Meteora! I'd even settle for another Jay-Z mashup!

5.0 out of 5 stars Once a 4-star, now a 5-star, November 20, 2013
Steven Haarala (Mandeville, LA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Recharged (Audio CD)
When I reviewed Linkin Park's album "Living Things", I gave it 4 stars. I felt that although it was good, it lacked the punch of some of LP's previous albums. So for me, to hear that 10 of the songs from "Living Things" were being remixed was not bad news, because I felt that they were basic enough to allow for some creative exploration. Under these circumstances, remixes of previously released good material can succeed. And, since many remixes tend to sound similar, they need to have varying creative elements. Most of these do.

I like it that most of the tracks are full of dissonance, loudness, grunge, anger. The one song that is new, not from "Living Things", is "A Light That Never Comes". There are 2 versions, opening and closing the album. They are similar, both featuring a relentless galloping beat. But the first one is more aggressive, with a very hard, loud drumbeat every 4th measure. The other version is slightly more musical, with more prominent piano and a busy bass. There are 2 versions of "I'll Be Gone" also, tracks 5 and 12. 5 is slow and dramatic with lots of metallic percussion, and includes raps by I guess the creators of the remix (Vice, Pusha T). 12 has Chester's vocal backed by a beat resembling a musical metronome (if a metronome could be a synthesizer, that is). And, there are 2 versions of "Until It Breaks", tracks 10 and 13. 10 is mainly Mike's rap over a piano, a whiplike sound and what Bob Dylan called a "police whistle". I like the way Mike says "like THAT", and he says it a lot. In the middle of the track we hear Chester's vocal, altered. 13 is just as complicated instrumentally, and contains more actual singing than 10.

The rest of the tracks have only one version each. "Castle Of Glass" begins soft and hazy, then takes off with grating industrial sounds, and continues later with harmonious electronified vocals. "Lost In The Echo" is similar, with soft sounds indicating tension alternating with sections of explosive grungy dissonance. "Victimized" opens fast and hard and stays that way. "Lies Greed Misery" makes good use of Chester's trademark screaming of the line "YOU DID IT TO YOURSELF!" backed by industrial noise and electronically garbled lyrics. "Roads Untraveled", the "ballad" of the album, starts out SLOW, then is livened up by a house beat, some rhythmic synths and ponderous drumming. And in "Skin To Bone", Mike's vocals are altered to run together almost unintelligibly (you do get to hear one spectacular f-bomb), but Chester's vocal of the chorus is altered very little.

The 2 tracks that I do not like much are 8 and 9, "Powerless" and "Burn It Down". I liked them on the original album, but these remixes are pretty dull and repetitive. ("Repetitive" might be a redundant term to use on remixes, but these 2 take repetition too far.) Those tracks notwithstanding, I'd say this is a very worthwhile and successful project.

2.0 out of 5 stars So completely forgettable that it's surprising the band would even put their name on it, December 22, 2013
This review is from: Recharged (Audio CD)
Back in the day, Linkin Park followed up the release of Hybrid Theory with a cool remix album called Reanimation, adding with it a whole new layer of tech, a hip hop vibe, and some very cool arrangements. New verses were recorded, underground hip hop artists added, choruses altered, lyrics changed, and the album, while not perfect, made for a very cool listen.

Fast forward to 2013, and Linkin Park have finally decided to put out another remix album, and my hopes were incredibly high for this. Unfortunately, Recharged isn't even a fraction of what that was. This is a collection of songs from Living Things that have been given club remixes, and that's about it. The quality of each is at about the level of what you'd get from a DJ in a club messing around with samples, not the type of work you'd expect from a band who's been making music for over a decade.

Much of Recharged fades so far into the background that songs are forgotten the moment they're over. With the exception of the occasional new Shinoda verse and the appearances of 1 or 2 guest rappers, nothing new has really been recorded for these songs, this is simply them being put through an EDM filter. None of the rest of the band feels like they were involved at all outside of the most minimal of capacities; even taken as an EDM album, this just isn't very good; the type of work that people who don't like EDM think of when they think of EDM.

Not recommended. 1 or 2 tracks are okay, and A Light that Never Comes deserved to be put on a better album. All in all, I wish I'd listened to it before buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, with new elements and styles of music, October 29, 2013
This review is from: Recharged (Audio CD)
I've listened to Linkin Park from day 1. I loved their first few albums, and had mixed opinions on the next few. When I heard that they were coming out with a new remix album, I was pretty excited, mainly because their other one was phenomenal. I listened to their track "A Light that Never Comes" when they released it on youtube, which I thought was pretty sick, so needless to say, I was amped for the album to come out.

As I first started listening, I could tell the various styles of music they were trying to play with. Techno, Dubstep, Trance, all mixed in with their music. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of dubstep, but it works with this for the most part. There are a couple songs that were just 'ok', but the rest were absolutely great. Definitely worth the purchase. I highly recommend this album to anyone who likes remixes, dubstep and their album "Reanimation"

Favorite Songson the Album: Castle of Glass (M. Shinoda Remix), I'll Be Gone (Vice Remix), Burn it Down (Tom Swoon Remix), Until it Breaks (Datsik Remix)
Least Favorite/Could do without: Lies, Greed Misery (Dirtyphonics Remix), Victimized (M. Shinoda Remix)

**Side Note: For all of you people crying "ZOMG they need to go back to their first album" and "they suck now", just please for the sake of everyone, quit your b**ching and just stop listening already. I accepted this a long time ago and I appreciate the music they make because of the fact that it's different. To me, that's the beauty of it, your not getting fed the same stuff over and over again. If you learn to open your musical taste more, you'll appreciate this and a lot of other musical artists out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Linkin Park Still Coming With The Hits!, November 13, 2013
Eddie (Cypress, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Recharged (Audio CD)
Linkin Park keeps bringing the hits long after their debut album! This CD is awesome, the music is great, and the tracks on here will keep Linkin Park fans happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars No matter what Linkin Park will always be the greatest:), November 28, 2013
This review is from: Recharged (MP3 Music)
Ok so i have loved every cd Linkin Park has come out with and their sound has evolved and changed over the years and i've really enjoyed that because if they were to keep having the same sounds and rifts like they had from their first couple of albums, it would have become repetitive. So i am super happy with what they are doing its Linkin Park and it always will be. The lyrics are still inspiring and life changing so i thank you LP, you've been there for me when i needed you most:) plus i just feel like if you think LP's music is garbage now, you were most likely never a true fan anyways but thats just my opinion dont take it to heart just enjoy the music and listen to the lyrics this band creates because they're awe inspiring:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now, you'll be glad., November 25, 2013
This review is from: Recharged (Audio CD)
Definitely worth EVERY penny, great tracks, great music, great mixes and collection of diverse styles. If you're into mash ups and dance music, this is the bee's knees!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars LP, July 14, 2014
This review is from: Recharged (Audio CD)
Bought this for my wife, she's a fan on Linkin Park. We've seen em in concert a handful of times and even met Chester.

Recharged
Recharged by Linkin Park (Audio CD - 2013)
Rate and Discover Movies