on December 7, 2011
Spencer Tracy used to say about acting, "Don't let them catch you at it". That's probably good advice for any profession -- especially writing.

Debora Geary just released her new novel in the "Modern Witch" series and there isn't a single moment in which Debora can be caught writing. Each book is a magical place where characters become best friends and the laughter and tears are completely real.

This might be the best book in the series but it's enormously difficult to choose a favorite. All of the love, empathy, friendship, and yes, magic, are there. Aervyn is back and is just as charmingly incorrigible as ever. Nat continues to inspire me to nurture tranquility through yoga and meditation. Nell is everything I strive to be as a mother. Newcomer Sierra, "fetched" from her internet job search, is a lonely and powerful eighteen year old water witch and more. She needs all the care the witching community has to give but is the community strong enough to contain the recklessness of a teenage witch who is long on power and compassion but short on responsibility?

When you settle in to read about Sierra's journey to find her place in the witching world, you will have to lay in some supplies before turning the first page. Here are a few essentials and please learn from my experience -- you will save yourself some very important reading time.

1. The Chair -- It is of vital importance that your chair be large, overstuffed, and equipped with an extremely soft blanket. You won't be leaving this chair until you finish the book which brings me to the second point...

2. Supplies -- Two large thermoses, one with the herbal tea of your choice and the other with some nice, hot soup to sustain you since ... you won't be leaving the chair until you finish the book.

3. More Supplies -- Several large Tupperware containers of homemade cookies to keep the energy flowing and a large box of soft tissues to take care of tears since ... you won't be leaving the chair until you finish the book.

4. Minions -- Try to arrange for minions who love you and care enough about your happiness to bring you ice cream, hold your calls, answer your email, hug you when you cry, and massage your muscles when you finally attempt to stand up. A word of warning though. If this is your first Debora Geary book you will experience a compulsion to buy the books you've missed and dive back into your chair. This compulsion should be indulged immediately.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 31, 2012
I started reading these books because of the low price they were being sold on the Kindle. I love books by Patricia Briggs, Charlaine Harris, J.R. Rain and such because of the paranormal romance and yes, conflict. It took me 3 books to realize that I don't like this series nearly as much as other vampire, witch, werewolf, etc. series because each of the characters written by Debora Geary are just so darn lovey-dovey and sweet; no one is "bad" or "evil", they're just "misunderstood". And enough already with all the constant eating of cookies and Ben and Jerry's; I swear I could feel MY diabetes going out of control! After I finished this book, I decided I didn't want to waste any more time or money on reading any more from this series.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 27, 2011
Until she was twelve years old, Sierra's life was filled with wonder and excitement with her carefree mother. Traveling in exotic countries, dancing in hurricanes, playing with ocean currents...Sierra's childhood was one of magic and beauty that came to an abrupt end when she was abandoned in New Orleans and left to fight her way through the foster care system and grieve over the disappearance of her mother. Now, as she comes of age and is forced to make decisions about her adult life, Sierra is at a loss to find a job and a place to call home. At just the right moment, Sierra is introduced to a caring, tight-knit community of witches that welcomes her with open arms. Will she find the happiness and answers she searches for in their embrace? Or will her reckless use of power threaten the foundations of home, love, tradition, stability and acceptance that the group has built? Will her untamed power create irreversible damage within its borders? Love, responsibility, family, hope...once again, the strengths of the witching community stand firm against the fire, making ever tighter the bonds between its members as they are all reminded of a very important truth: "[It isn't] rules and magical protocols [that are needed, but] love and commitment...It has been, and always will be, love that keeps a reckless soul safe."

I can't praise Debora's novels enough. With each one I read, I am reminded again of her talent as a storyteller. She has the gift of the bards, as Sierra's mother Amelia did. She creates a cast of characters that pulls you into its web, leaving you as emotionally tied to them as if they were real. By turns, I find myself laughing and crying with them as they work through the problems they face and find strength in the community around them. I devour each and every one of these books, always feeling as if I can't read them fast enough and then regretting the speed with which I read when I come to the end and am forced to wait once more for the next book in the series. That is the mark of a wonderful writer and Debora certainly deserves that description.
on December 9, 2011
This is the 3rd book in the Modern Witch Series and in my opinion it was the hardest one to get through. The book is entertaining enough the characters are likeable it's an easy read my only problem with the series is though I really Like all the characters the plots are all the same Witch is in trouble, other witches come to the rescue over emotional crying scenes story wraps up neatly. If you want a feel good 7th heaven kind of story this book is for you.

Warning Spoilers Below

A reckless witch open with a new character Sierra who's 17 living in Oregon she's a witch who's grown up outside of "which central" and was orphaned at the age of 12 when her mother disappeared while partying at Marti Gras. Sierra is fetched by Nells spell and ends up in chat with the girls where we learn that Sierra's looking for a job to get out of getting stuck in a half way house once she turns 18. Since Nell is a very rich and giving witch she quickly offers Sierra a job as a coder for Realm flies her out to Berkley and sets her up in her own place. Sierra of course takes the offer and is on her way to "freedom". We soon find out that Sierra mother Ameila is a witch Moria and that gang all remember as being a free spirit that didn't always walk the line. Ameila trained sierra on how to use magic but didn't teach her all the "safeguards" The book explores Sierra's abandonment issues lack of training etc and Nell and the gangs undying effort to teach her how to be the witch she is meant to be.

Spoliers Over

It's an interesting read a little cutesy but not terrible. I've already recommended the series to a friend and she's enjoying it. I'll continue to read it but i'm not on the edge of my seat waiting for the next one.
on November 27, 2011
I must say, out of all the books in this series, this one was by far my favorite!
That is saying a lot considering how much I loved the others.

***SPOILAR ALERT*** My review has pieces of information that you may not want to read until you've gotten the book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In "A Reckless Witch", we are introduced to some new characters. We meet Jamie's brother, Devin, along with their old friend Govin, a very serious weather witch and his non-witch friend, TJ.

However, the most important character we meet is 18-year old Sierra, an incredibly powerful weather witch who was raised to be reckless.
Sierra's mother was the original reckless witch--unfortunatly she lost her life because of it and leaves Sierra orphaned at 12 years old.

This story follows Sierra's struggle to learn that magic is not all fun and games, and what happens when you don't take your power seriously enough. It's up to Govin-serious mathematician witch- and Devin-a reckless witch who knows how to do it responsibly- to train her and teach her the responsibities her power brings.

I cried through Sierra's struggle to find her self-worth. My heart melted when little Kenna was born. I laughed with joy when I read the outcome of Lauren and Devin's relationship. I can't remember the last time I read a book with such an emotional impact.

Nat has always been one of my favorite characters and this just brought that up a notch. I love the inner-strength and the sense of absolute peace that Debora Geary has given this character. Plus the fact that when she looses it Lauren and Jamie are right there to help her find it again.

Now comes the part I hate... Having to wait until the next book comes out!!
Happy reading, everyone. I would highly recommend this book and hope you enjoy it as much as myself and others do.

Jessica
on August 14, 2012
I purchased the four Modern Witch books when Amazon put them on sale last week. This is book three of four.

Positive:

1. This book is a tremendous improvement over book 2. I was never tempted to delete the book before finishing it.

2. There is actual character development. Even though only one character actually develops, it's an improvement. I like that a teenager is involved instead of just wise earth mother Whoopi Goldberg types

3. Something actually happens in this book. Lives are at risk, people argue, something even carks it. They're not just sitting around the kitchen wolfing down doughnuts and gossiping

Negative:

1. Enough with the eating already. Almost every scene is introduced with cookies, chocolate, waffles and so on. It's time for a new transition.

2. The women are interchangable. They speak the same, act the same, have the same philosophies and basically all sound the same. Fortunately, they have different names, so the authour can build on that.

3. Please, please, enough about pregnancy. There are at least three pregnant women and about 20 percent of the book is about being pregnant or talking about being pregnant. This is supposed to be about witches.

4. It's great that there are men in the book. It would be even better if they actually talked like men. The authour should hang out with blokes a bit and listen to how they interact.

5. The women need to grow a pair and stop crying so much. To be fair though, after reading about someone eating cookies for the 100th time, I felt like crying too.

Overall, this book is almost as good as the first and far, far better than the second.
on March 8, 2013
I think I'll be stopping here in the series. It's too sappy for me. Plus, I'm not personally attracted to a senario where Everbody is having Babies.

But I really liked this story. Sierra was an interesting well done character. She had her flaws and insecurities, but unlike the last fetched witch, I found her quite likable. Jamie's brother Devin is also an interesting addition to the mix and I enjoyed his part in the whole storyline. I'm fond of honorary big brothers, so he sat very well with me.

Too many characters! This is an epic series with an absolute ton of characters. New characters get introduced in every book and none of the bit characters from earlier books ever really go away. It's starting to feel like a really overcrowded sappy sweet party. I really enjoyed books 1 and 3, but I'm done with the sappy sweet. Oh, And, the characters are all Constantly eating cookies and ice cream which kept triggering sweets cravings for me. Can I get a celery stick with some peanut butter, Please!
on November 26, 2011
5 Stars
I love this world going on in California. Their Witch community is great.
Their are a couple of new faces, but a lot of old friends.
Sierra is about to turn 18. She has been in fostercare for 6 years and now she needs to find a job so she can leave. Sierra has been doing magic forever but she has not been trained like most witches. She doesnt know what could happen world wide when she plays with her magic.
We finally get to meet Jamie's brothers Devin more than Matt.
Also meet T.J. non witch genius and Govin a weather witch who together try and save lives.
As with all her stories so far their are so many characters that we get to see them all working, playing and eating. Aervyn is turncant ing five. Lauren finally finds a guy.
It has a lot of fun either in real life or in the video games. Its enjoyale read. I was given this ebook in exchane for honest review by debora geary.
on September 8, 2013
These books are light, happy enjoyment. Nothing too heavy, just a lot of people that love each other, care for each other, and figure out how to solve problems and situations together. If you want something to sink your teeth into, that makes you think a lot, don't read these books. They are easy, escapist literature.
on December 24, 2012
As a child, Sierra Brighton traveled the world. She swam with the baby whales, danced in storm funnels, and lived in complete magical freedom. Her unfortunately irresponsible mom died and Sierra ended up in foster care, an unhappy and very secret witch.
I enjoy the idea that each of the characters written by Debora Geary are just so darn lovey-dovey and sweet; no one is "bad" or "evil", they're just "misunderstood". Many people may not find this as refreshing as I do, but that's the breaks sometimes. The book is entertaining enough the characters are likeable and it's an easy read. It does follow the formula that Geary has created for herself, but it has worked well enough through this series that I don't see the reason to change it at all.