5.0 out of 5 stars Post Technological Landscape, February 17, 2003
Lee (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Reclaiming the American West (Hardcover)
This book is the first book I have read in the past 5 years that is so visually captivating I could not put it down. Berger uses his own gorgeous aerial and ground photographs, and visionary mapping techniques to show the world a new type of landscape that is being produced via landscape devastation and reclamation. He coins a new term -Post Technological Landscape-to describe the artificial landscapes being formed by humans in the post-mined areas of the western U.S. An introduction to the book, by the enigmatic poet Frederick Turner, also helps define this term. There is a very interesting,if not dry, appendix that reveals how each western state technically defines the term "reclamation" and what they have accomplished to clean up industrial leftovers in the landscape. I highly recommend this book for anyone thirsting for landscape photography, landscape theory, ecology and nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly fascinating and beautifully written, March 12, 2012
This review is from: Reclaiming the American West (Hardcover)
My son is graduating in landscape architecture and mentioned this book to me. From the first page, I knew I was encountering an important person in our age. I have become an Alan Berger fan. The book begins with a literature review so well written, so chock full of concepts and wise thoughtfulness about how to think about this very difficult problem of reclaiming landscape that has been damaged by uses that vary from exploration to exploitation, that I have a new appreciation for the insights, role and contributions of the landscape architect at every stage of land development and use. Lawyers, designers, and citizens can profit from reading this book. Watch for Alan Berger. He will make a difference, and I'm sure already has.

TonyJ

5.0 out of 5 stars book, August 24, 2008
This review is from: Reclaiming the American West (Hardcover)
this book has some of the best graphics that a student could use to develop their projects

Reclaiming the American West
Reclaiming the American West by Alan Berger (Hardcover - November 1, 2002)
$45.00 $32.51