5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible man!
Published on February 9, 2012 by J. Tramel

3.0 out of 5 stars General Lee of Northern Virginia
I was surprised that this was all derived from letters. It got boring in it's repetition but I decided to wade through to the end.
These letters reveal General Lee to be of very high moral character that was well loved and respected by both the North and the South.
It is a shame that so many young adults had to be killed in this war to stop the spread of SLAVERY.
Published 2 days ago by Roger Q Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible man!, February 9, 2012
J. Tramel (Modesto, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee (Kindle Edition)
I haven't even finished reading this book, and I realize that it was written by his son, but the letters that General Lee wrote to family, friends and even superior officers give us a clear picture of what an incredible person he was. With each chapter I read, I become more amazed and in awe of the splendid individual General Robert E. Lee was; a man of integrity and compassion, and the ability to lead and inspire others. He may have been on the losing side of the Civil War, but in life, he was a winner!

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read from the 19th Century, November 15, 2011
Michael Meder (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee

First off, you can't beat the price. Secondly, it's a delightful peek into the world of General Lee, and HOW letters were written in that time. A lost art......

Told from the vantage point of his son, Robert, I enjoyed sharing his father with him, if just for a little while.

This is a good book for consideration of how things were done, how they've changed since that time, and enjoyment cover-to-cover!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recollections and Leeters of General Robert E. Lee, July 17, 2012
Lynne Keeler (Yorktown, Virginia) - See all my reviews
Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee is excellent. It peeks into his life and paints a very intere4sting picture of his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lee's letters, August 17, 2013
Wonderful companion to D.S. Freeman 's biography of General Lee. Highly recommended. A great Christian, soldier, and American. One of the greatest America has ever produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars RELee, August 14, 2012
Fantastic read. This book gives a deep insight into the personality of General R E Lee both through his own letters but also through the narative of his son Rob. The facts given are interesting but most intriguing is the splendor of the General's love and devotion to his family and the men he served in the Army of Northern Virginia.

5.0 out of 5 stars book, August 5, 2012
Sandra Shelton (Eden, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I really loved this book. It gave me a whole new understanding of the human side of General Lee. I would recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great view of the man not the legand, February 28, 1999
By A Customer
So much has been written about Robert E. Lee that only a select few can see him as anything but larger than life. Written by his son Captain Robert E. Lee this work give a detalied look at the Gernerals private life and details his tran of thought. This book is perfect for any one interesed in what the man behinde the legand was relly like.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll Never Look At General Lee The Same Way Again!, July 24, 2013
I have to say honestly, that I had truly no idea that General Robert E. Lee lived for another 5 years following his surrender to Grant during the Civil War. I mean, I guess I didn't just figure that he'd died and that was the end, but I had no idea how much he really LIVED, I guess is what I am trying to say.

Being from the North, we don't hear about how he went on to become the President of Washington University in Lexington, VA. We don't hear about his sons, daughters & grandchildren. I've never heard about how well-loved he was by just about everyone in the South, right up until his very last breath. I never knew how well he cared for his rheumatic, wheel-chair-bound wife, or how much he loved and how well he cared for Traveller (his beloved and well-acclaimed war horse), right up until he could no longer do it.

"I have led the young men of the South in battle; I have seen many of them die on the field; I shall devote my remaining energies to training young men to do their duty in life." This quote really shows what sort of person he was, devoted to the task at hand (no matter what that may be, in this case, teaching students at the University), right up until the very end. He was amazing, and a part of me feels just a little bit cheated that I never knew any of this until now.

He was an amazing person, and truly, despite surrendering during the war, a complete and utter hero. And I, for one, am so glad his son Robert was able to compile this gathering of his letters and recollections, for me to learn that. I'll never look at General Lee in the same way again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Real History, August 15, 2013
Good book written in perspective of the times. Able to feel General Lee's thoughts and day to day life experiences. Easy to read, some typo's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning more about Robert E. Lee, July 29, 2013
The man behind the legend is difficult to find. Most are taken over by historians who control the narrative so they can continue their rice bowl. Well no free lunch here!

ARRAY(0x98886510)