Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 10, 2007 2:09:57 PM PDT
I am looking for a writer like Follett...I have read all of this books and have some favorites I was thinking of re-reading, but I thought I would ask around and see if anyone knows if there is an author like Follett?? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2007 10:05:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2007 10:10:22 AM PST
If you liked "Pillars of the Earth" (I just re-read the book this weekend, great as ever! started/will be reading sequel "World Without End" this week), you'd probably like Edward Rutherford's SARUM, RUSSKA, PRINCES OF IRELAND (I've read all of these) or LONDON (I haven't read yet) books/series, similarly dense and historical while still being great fiction/stories.

Also, try Jack Whyte's SKYSTONE series! A retelling of possible origins of the Camelot myths, set in post-Roman/Celtic Britain (I read them all, loved them, but esp. SKYTONE, the 1st in series).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2007 10:05:40 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 31, 2007 10:10:29 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2008 1:04:12 PM PST
Try Wilbur Smith's novels. They are super.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2008 9:54:12 AM PST
ThisLadyLTR says:
The Tea Rose by Jennifer Donnelly. It is epic and rich in detail. Check it out on amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 1:34:29 AM PDT
I felt the style of this book was very much like the Diana Gabbeldon books that start with Voyager. Different time period, but kind of the same big cast of characters and wars and such.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 8:06:41 AM PST
longblade says:
I have read both books by Follett(Pillars of the Earthand World without End) great reads and I have found two more authors just as good I think the first is Bernard Cornwell his Grail quest Series.(The Archer's Tale,Vagabond,Heretic) is three of the best novels I've read they make you feel like your right there!!! And the other is S.K.Penman she has a whole series of Books Medieval Tales that are really good But if I was You I'd read Cornwell first!

Posted on Feb 4, 2010 4:26:39 AM PST
gilly8 says:
What is it you liked about P. of the E? The giant intense story w/ multiple overlapping subplots? The peak into the Middle Ages? That is what you need t figure out....

For big blockbuster novels there are quite a few though not as many as years ago....James Michener's almost all fit that category. Read "the Source" and "Hawaii" if you have not. Also James Clavell's "Sho-Gun" and (I like them a lot less) follow-up's "Tai-Pain" and "Gai-Jan"...

If you liked "living in" the Middle Ages, there are TONS of books out there, obviously many better than others. The series by Sharon Kay Penman, the Pargeter trilogy, etc. Frankly, though I liked P. of E. the author is just not an expert in that area, (before that book he mostly wrote modern-times thrillers) and there are some GLARING errors: things that just wouldn't have, couldn't have happened at that time. I like the Dame Frevisse mystery series by Frazier, and her overlapping series on a group of travelling players (actors), set in the 14th century...she really knows the time period. As does Penman. There are several other good series : "Roger the Chapman" byKate Sedley, the Owen Archer series set in the 14th century by Candace Robb....its a mystery series but also accurate. Bernard Cornwell has written many books, set in different periods of English history, from the earliest Dark Ages to the 18th century Sharpe series. You might like his stand-alone "Agincourt" about a famous battle during the "100 years war"...its not JUST the battle of course, there are many characters whose lives are followed though this time period.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2010 5:20:22 AM PDT
I agree, but point of correction: the first novel in Diana Gabbeldon's series is Outlander. Voyager is book 3 or 4 (can't recall).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2010 6:35:01 PM PDT
Frank Alpine says:
Try "The Physician" by Noah Gordon. It follows the life of a boy as he grows to manhood in the 11th century and his long journey to pursue his goal of becoming a physician. I think I may even like it more than "Pillars."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2010 3:27:23 AM PST
Holly says:
I also like Margaret George -- she has written historical fiction novels on many prominent figures, including Henry VIII and Cleopatra.

Might take a look.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2014 6:52:31 PM PDT
Thank you for the recommendation. I have gone from Pillar to post in an attempt tp find something like Pillars of the Earth. I would also like to recommend something - LION OF IRELAND - Morgan Llywelyn,its a good read.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Jun 10, 2007
Latest post:  May 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett (Audio CD - October 9, 2007)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (3,923)