Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on November 24, 2010
Thich Nhat Hanh has written a book that helped me to touch the very deepest roots of suffering, anger, violence and neglect within myself, and the generations that are a part of me. A path toward living happily and at peace even amidst suffering. Through the teachings, stories and practices offered in this book, I found the fertilizer for my own practice. Taken to heart, applied honestly, with wisdom and with encouragement from trusted friends, the flowering of peace within individuals, families and society can be made possible.

Thich Nhat Hanh writes, "Many of us practice sitting meditation in order to run away from suffering...we behave like a rabbit going back into its hole in the earth in order to feel protected...We do this because we suffer so much, we want some kind of rest, some kind of running away. But that is not the true purpose of meditation...We have to use our intelligence and concentration to get insight, transform the suffering within, and become a Buddha, an enlightened one, a free person...Without suffering, without the understanding of suffering, true happiness is impossible."

My advice: Buy this book for yourself, for a person you love, and for a person you think may need it, who may be open to receiving it. Smile, and enjoy!
11 comment| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2011
I am not one to review every item I buy from Amazon, but as a Hanh reader and someone who is a father to a beautiful young man I feel I have something to communicate with you. My father left the family when I was five and after 35 years of no correspondence, I didn't know if he was dead or alive, he decides to come back and "complete the circle".

You know, I was quite well to this man and gave him a clean slate, until I found that he had lied to me about a step sister I didn't know of. That is where the relationship turned as I went into warrior stance precipitated by the wounded youngster in me. As a father myself I have gained some tools and without this book I wouldn't know how to be my own father. I know, sounds a bit strange but bear with me.

Upon further reviews of my father relative to behaviors, my sister (the mental health pro), diagnosed him with NPD ([...]). This is an important part prior to my reading of Reconciliation as it added a POV for my forgiveness and understanding of someone who hurt me very much and who had also been hurt very much himself growing up.

Basically the book connects the dots that we are everyone of our ancestors, good, bad and ugly. Alive or dead, and even if we did not get to know them very well we carry their genetics and through our parents inherited the problems that they could not reconcile.

I can not stress the importance of this wonderful book as I believe everyone should read it. I will buy a copy for my father and with Thich Nhat Hanh's help I believe I will not commute the family issues any further, but instead bring a view of the suffering as a opportunity to learn more compassion.

P.S. If you do not have that mental health professional as a sister, as I have, here are some resources:
[...]

With Blessings!
22 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2011
I'm an avid follower of Thich Nhat Hanh and I think this is the clearest and most effective expression of his and the Buddha's teachings.
on October 12, 2011
Very life changing for me. This book has helped tremendously to find inner truths, and to feel whole again as a person. I recommend this to anyone who wants to transform their life! You will get out of it all that you put into it, and then some!

My deepest thanks to Thich Nhat Hanh for writing it.
on April 12, 2013
I practiced Buddhism earlier in my life. Unfortunately as an alcohol abuser I couldn't learn to trust the teachings or the teacher. I turned my back but couldn't forget it. Now trying to maintain my recovery, I found the instructions in the book to show promise towards helping me to quit beating myself up while still understanding the world does not revolve around me. Deceptively simple, very hard after a lifetime of lying to myself.
on October 22, 2011
this author, a zen monk, continues to write books of immense help to any of us trying to live in this confusing world. his loving kindness and intelligence are obvious in his books, and they give many ideas on how to deal with past, present and future. he lives in the ways that he suggests we all do, simply, mindfully and with love.
on January 4, 2012
When I was a child, all I wanted was to grow up. I wanted to dress like my mom, a professional wearing vests and having my hair done like hers. Ordering off the adult menu, moving out and so on. I was so focused on being an adult, that I really didn't cherish being a child. I know that I have repressed my inner child, not indulging myself in being silly even! Well, this book is wonderful. Tips to connect with your inner child, without feeling like you have to do anything you don't want to do. He recommends but doesn't demand in any of the steps he offers to help us reconnect with ourselves. Not a huge book but worth the read!
on December 29, 2010
A must read for anyone following or contemplating a spiritual path. It's message is simple yet profound, and presented in a way that makes sense to all ages and situations. Thich Nhat Hanh is a masterful teacher, and this, his latest book, is possibly his best yet, offering simple insights that can help to transform individuals and society.
on November 27, 2012
I am a follower of Thich Nhat Hanh's and have read many of his books. This is probably my favorite, and the one I recommend most. It is written in easy to understand English. Just like the sub-title says, it is all about healing the inner child, with guided meditation instructions on exactly what to do. As an adult, we go back and give our wounded child the love and compassion they needed and deserved. Incredibly transformational.
on June 11, 2013
In the simplest terms, Thich Nhat Hanh reminds us of what is important and how we can move into healing our deepest wounds. The words themselves reflect the kindness and warmth he encourages us to bring to ourselves and our lives, while making it clear that our wounded child has the benefit of the adult reading this book now and therefore all that one needs to let go of what still hinders us from our pasts.