Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on March 17, 2012
I obtained the book to review the recipes. I only skimmed through the text part. Everything appears to have actually been written by the author. I did think the author added quite a bit of conjecture on how they lived back then. But you can get a good flavor of the book yourself. A good chunk is in the sample. If you like the sample, you will like the rest of the text.

Now to the recipes. There are 15. They are listed in the sample. Here they are again:

Egg Muffins [eggs, meat, spices. Can be made in advance.]
Zucchini Bake [zucchini, meat, eggs, etc.]
Aussie Beef Burger [burger with fried egg, beets, tomatoes, spices, etc.]
Chorizo Con Huevos
Granny Apple Muffins [almond flour, apples, carrots, shredded coconut, rasins, eggs, spices, etc.]
Kangaroo Kofta Balls
Osso Buco
Rich Chocolate Truffles
Pears Poached In Red Wine
Rich Dark Chocolate Mousse

As you can see the author is Australian. The only downside of this for Americans is the weights are metric. All the other measurements are the common English cups, tablespoons, teaspoons, etc. The author has clearly made every recipe and has written all the instructions himself. There is plenty of detail and side comments. The instructions are broken into short paragraphs. When authors take recipes from the web, they rewrite the instructions to avoid copyright issues. They rearrange things, they change words to less optimal ones, and drop comments. This is certainly not the case here.

The recipes are not strict paleo. Butter appears in many of them. Often just to grease the pan or to saute something in the beginning. Another oil can be easily substituted for those. Only in the Barramundi fish recipe is it an actual ingredient. And non-paleo chocolate appears in two.

The recipes are all nicely spiced and flavored variations of basic recipes.

You can sample the text. As for the recipes, they are recommended with the noted caveats.
on April 1, 2012
This is a fascinating read and insight into the paleo way of eating. If you are looking for a faddy diet book this isn't the book for you. This is more about understanding your body's requirements in terms of health and nutrition. It explains how our desires for sugar and processed foods affect us and how we could benefit from our ancestors and take lessons and inspiration from how they used to eat. I found this a very interesting and insightful read. I've tried a few of the recipes which were very enjoyable and I like the fact they are obviously original. We are attempting to follow the basic principles of this book and so far it has proven successful. We have tonnes more energy and generally feel healthier and above all my chronic sugar cravings have so far ceased and that's something I didn't think would ever happen! A clever informative book. I think this would be helpful to anyone wanting to lose weight or benefit from eating healthier or like me want to break a cycle of sugar addiction!
on February 12, 2013
While the authors intentions are good and try to display what we should and should not eat and why, the message is too lackadaisical.
The information about the modern day diet and what it does to your health should be quite alarming, and have you fearing for your life and never wanting to consume the garbage you formerly knew as food again. Also I found that the same approach was taken in the recipe portion of the book; honey, vanilla extract, especially are cleverly disguised forms of artificial sugar. Along with wine and sweet potatoes, chocolate and raisins. Best to outright avoid all sugar, alcohol and starch completely. This book was a beginner read in the topic of Paleo and should be followed up with a more in-depth book like `Primal mind, primal body`.
on March 21, 2012
Hi, One of the first I got for Kindle and worth the cost. Well written and easy to follow.
Cheers
hopefulau
on April 9, 2012
I purchased this ebook to gain a better understanding of the Paleo way of eating. I wasn't disappointed. Mick explains everything about this way of eating in depth in an easy to understand way. The recipes at the end are fantastic and give you lots of meal ideas too. I was very impressed with this book, I have a much better understanding of how it all works now.
on March 14, 2012
This is a great little book. It really gives a good overview of Paleo style eating and the background and logic behind it. Its concise and informative. The recipe section is great. I have tried most of the recipes now and they truly are delicious. Excellent value and I highly recommend reading it.
Mick Reade has done a fabulous job of explaining in very easy to understand language why what we think is food today would not be recognized as such by our Paleolithic ancestors. Whether most modern-day humans realize it or not, we are practically identical to our hunter-gatherer ancestors and should thus try to learn how to eat and live as they did to experience optimal health in today's world.

As Mick states so clearly in his book, it is this "reconnecting" with the way your body was intended to be fed and stimulated that will truly return you to the biological place you were always meant to be. RECONNECTING WITH YOUR INNER CAVEMAN is a quick and simple read to give you an understanding of the basic principles of Paleo living in our modern world.

As a great chef, Mick provides some yummy recipes in the back of the book that might look a little strange to an American audience with ingredients like kangaroo. But when you realize he's from Australia, it all begins to make sense. No matter where you are in the world, these Paleo lifestyle changes can and will benefit your heart, mind, body and soul. ENJOY!