Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon September 11, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book is seriously awesome fun. It serves as a great reminder to listen to the old classics just as much as you scoop up the new stuff. This book weaves interesting musical history facts throughout the book. I felt like I seriously learned more about the industry - and thoroughly enjoyed it in the meantime. It definitely gives you a new appreciation for songs you didn't really care for before.

One of my favorite parts was the soundtrack that went along with each chapter. It's awesome fun to great your iPod and play along with each chapter. It's like sitting in your room talking to your friend about good music and listening to said music.

The music selections range from the Twilight: New Moon soundtrack to The Go Go's to The Runaways to everything that spanned the in between.

I loved every minute of this book.
VINE VOICEon August 24, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ms. Smith has struck the perfect balance between formal and chummy; she writes with conviction and authority, but also with diction that leaves you wishing you could be BFFs. Her book is the perfect snack for the buffet of aural opportunities lying ahead. She composes themed playlists (breakups, etc) which she gently suggests we should all check out. She is more than a little opinionated, but she allows for differences in taste while still teaching the reader how to compose a library.
Her references to other musically nerdy sources (John Cusack's High Fidelity character, for example) ground her specific preferences in a universal instruction manual we can all glean something from.

Worth the (very quick) read!
on March 24, 2015
I love this book! The author has a woman's perspective on rock criticism, a clear love of music, and her playlists cover music from all decades. Since she calls out so much music I already love, I feel confident to try some of the bands that I have heard of but not listened to. This book would make a great for the tween to teen girl in your life to get her appreciating music that goes beyond pop fascination.
VINE VOICEon November 2, 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm not a girl, but I am a serious record collector, and I got a lot out of this book by Courtney Smith. First, it was fun just reading her opinions on music, including why a girl should never date a guy who likes the Smiths, the meaning of digital music's defeat of the physical album, a definitive thesis on Beatles vs. Stones, and much more. Then there's the music appreciation aspect -- the book didn't necessarily introduce me to much new music I wasn't already aware of, but it did cause me to get out and play albums by the Cure, Shins, and others (incl. the Garden State soundtrack). It also gave me an interesting insight into the female perspective on music's place in relationships, especially how one partner uses the other's taste in music to judge them.

Ms Smith's writing is presented in an accessible way, with fairly short chapters, plus a listing after each chapter of all the songs mentioned in that chapter. That's handy for a reader wishing to hear something Smith talked about. She displays a good sense of humor in her writing, she is very knowledgable about her subject, and her point of view is almost certain to get you thinking about your own love of music, whether you're a guy or girl.

PS: On the Beatles/ Stones debate, I'm happy Ms Smith came down on the "right" side of this one. Here's what she says about the Beatles: "...it's clear they never stopped being the world's greatest rock 'n' roll band and the Rolling Stones are simply pretenders to the throne." You go, girl! Of course most of us still like the Stones, too, just not as much. In fact, "Rocks Off" is playing on my computer right now.
on September 28, 2011
I am neither a girl nor a music nerd and I really enjoyed this book. Sometimes music collecting gets too serious. The author does a good job of reminding the reader that music is fun and personal. Did I agree with every opinion she had? No. But do two collectors ever agree on anything? Of course not and that's half the fun.