Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on February 5, 2014
Recover! Stop Thinking Like an Addict and Reclaim Your Life, by Dr. Stanton Peele, offers exactly the kind of innovative, "out-of-the-box" solution to addiction that we in the therapy community have been seeking for years. As counselors and therapists, we see our clients struggle with destructive thinking patterns and behaviors that accompany addiction, yet these almost always stem from other, more deeply rooted habits of "automatic" thought and emotional responses. All too often these are not resolved when the patient attempts a traditional 12-Step recovery program. Sadly, these self-destructive patterns and experiences (feelings of shame, worthlessness, helplessness) are sometimes made worse after an unsuccessful experience in a traditional recovery program, and resulting feelings of "powerlessness" and "sickness" only exacerbate addiction behaviors. I have already seen positive results for my clients who have begun working through Dr. Peele's newest book. I am very excited and grateful to have this empowering and optimistic new framework for understanding recovery to share with my clients. I am convinced that Dr. Peele is on the cutting edge of a modern understanding of addiction and recovery, and future generations will regard him as a pioneer in this important work. Shawn Briley - Licensed Clinical Social Worker
on March 7, 2014
Peele is genius in his field for making things as simple as possible and no simpler. His common sense approach combined with empirical, evidence based medicine demonstrate unequivocally that addiction is behavior and not an incurable disease. Peele could have called this book, Stop Feeling and Start Thinking: Change your Thinking and Change your Life!
on January 26, 2014
Anyone who is struggling with an addiction this is the book for you. The thing I like about Peele is that his books are designed to help people with more than just alcohol or drug addiction but all types of addictions. By following his books and other writings you learn that it isn't just about treating maladaptive behaviors but making your life better in the overall!
on January 26, 2014
Before I read this remarkable book, I believed the disease idea that my addictions were uncontrollable. This book allowed me to direct my attention to the source of my addictions, and to practice a mindfulness that permitted me to control my urges that formerly caused me to relapse. Instead, I learned visualization to nip my cravings in the bud. Moreover, I gained the realization this I COULD control and eliminate my addictive behaviors. This book was a blessing for me.
on January 28, 2014
The American culture has fostered the addiction = disease mentality to no advantage. 60% recidivism from 12-step programs bear this out. The more someone believes they are diseased, the less control they feel they have. Peele's approach - though compassionate and forgiving - puts the onus for addiction where it belongs: squarely on the shoulders of us addicts reminding us that we make choices with consequences. Despite the ubiquity of "I have no control of my behavior", Peele reminds us that these patterned choices are harmful habits that may grant temporary respite from our troubles. What's most valuable is that Peele and his co-author Ilse Thompson provide sensible solutions to break the cycle of bad choices.
Make no out-of-hand judgments until you read this book; you may toss away a chance to reverse course and find success.
44 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2014
There is a wonderful approach to getting that confidence which is there for good. That's cool. Also, it's an evidence based approach so it's based on experiences which worked. I'm an alcohol and drug counsellor and love it! We've moved beyond shame and blame. You're so much more resilient and capable to put that episode (no matter how long) and get on with life. Nice to be smart and in control. Thanks!
on October 6, 2014
FINALLY!! Something for those of us non-believers who don't twelve-step our 'helpless' selves into recovery. No guilt trips, no god, no bs--just concrete, actionable steps to help you go forward in your life as a non-addict. Excellent, should be sold as a two-pack along with "Goodbye Hangovers, Hello Life!". Women in recovery especially are not served by being told to endlessly mea culpa and accept powerlessness. That sense of powerlessness is reason number one why most people (women especially!) START drinking in the first place. This is not meant as a condemnation of AA, even though I personally feel it is too cult-y for me. Whatever works, but empowerment and accountability are going to serve you a WHOLE lot better than guilt and shame, which virtually guarantee a relapse.
on January 24, 2014
Stanton Peele saved me from my addiction with his book, 7 Tools to Beat Addiction. He now goes one step beyond that in Recover! to a whole new realm of condciousness. I can't recommend this book too highly if you worry about your addictive habits.
on March 22, 2015
Came in perfect condition and in the listed time. Will order from this seller again.

This is a great book so far. A recovery program from addictions that is supported with documented evidence. This is clearly an anti 12 step program, which is why I purchased it in the first place. 12 step programs do not work and are not feasible for permanent recovery. Stanton Peele focuses on strengthening the pillars of a person that is not addicted, which is actually already within us. I highly recommend this book to anyone who has tried other standard addiction models and found they so not work.
on March 26, 2014
Finally a book that can put the big book of AA in the trash. This book by Stanton Peele, explains the problem of addiction, how to fix it and tools to recover forever. If you are a parent, I love "Addiction Proof Your Child" as well.