Recovery [Edited]
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$7.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 21, 2010
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
For years Eminem has only had his pain and anger from the problems with his mother and ex wife to rap about. Now that he has went through the hardships of life and gotten all of that out of the way he's rapping about real things. I have been a lifetime fan of Mathers, I have never fully hated any of his albums yet at the same time I felt he was just dragging on his effort. I do not buy many cds anymore but after hearing a few of the songs on this album I rushed out and bought it. Eminem in my humble opinion is now better than he ever has been and it shows in the production and effort he put into this album.

1. Cold Wind Blows 8/10: Eminem tries to be a bit comical while still hard in this track and does a decent job of both. Good song but not great.

2. Talkin' 2 Myself ft. Kobe 10/10: This song is very engrossing and draw you into singing the chorus along with Kobe. I never heard of this guy before but the track was very effective and enjoyable.

3. On Fire 4/10: Not going to say anything bad about this track however, it does not have a very good feel to it for me. Make your own assesment.

4. Won't Back Down ft. Pink 8/10: This song is a very good collaboration between the two of them. However I think the choice of Eminem to add in Pink after the track was recorded was a bad idea as it just doesn't quite mix.

5. W.T.P. 7/10: Old school Eminem type song yet you can tell he put some effort into making his rhymes meaningful unlike older songs where he simply made us feel stupid for listening to it.

6. Going Through Changes 11/10: This song was simply amazingly put together. First of all you'll notice the sampling of Ozzy in this song. It was a suprise to me but it melds pefectly and makes the track flawless.

7. Not Afraid 9/10: This song has been played heavily on MTV and other music networks. I felt this song was a very good way to put the new song and feel out there for fans to know Eminem was back and ontop once again.

8. Seduction 6/10: Not one of my favorites but it sill has a catch sound to it. It is alledgedly about Mariah Carey but regardless it gets your attention.

9. No Love ft. Lil Wayne 9/10: The only reason I did not make this a 10/10 is because I had mixed emotions about this song from the start. At first I did not like it feeling the two didn't really mix, but then after listening more closely I found myself listening and singing along.

10. Space Bound 10/10: One of my absolute favorites on the album. This song is totally out of the norm for Eminem and many will proably say it's soft and not him. That's just it though Eminem is not the same he has evolved and this is a great example. It's different yes, but it works and he set the track on fire.

11. Cinderella Man 11/10: The only other song I rate 11/10 because it has such a flow that you just can't help yourself but listen. I love the rhythm and his rhymes are sick. Great track.

12. 25 to Life 9/10: This song has a good feel and it seems he put alot of emotion into it while recording. The female vocals add alot to it aswell and makes for an overall awesome track.

13. So Bad 6/10: Decent lyrics yet for some reason the song doesn't quite feel the same as the rest almost like a filler track. I do not however, find myself skipping over it so it was a success.

14. Almost Famous 10/10: This track just makes me wanna get up and start moshing or moving in some sort of way. The beat is sick and mad props to the producer. The lyrics are very good as well as he takes many shots at himself for his previous failures in music.

15. Love The Way You Lie ft Rihanna 9/10: Another one of my favorites Rihanna and Eminem sound perfect together and this song puts me in a great state of mind. Not to mention this is the melding of my favorite male and female artists what could be better!

16. You're Never Over 10/10: This gets a 10 because it is a very heart filled and melodic tribute to Proof of D12. Eminem made an effort to tribute Proof every chance he had. This song was not at all hard to listen to and may possibly have meaning to others.

17. Untitled (Here We Go) 5/10: Not quite sure why this song was added but it was not a good choice to put right after You're Never Over. However it was put together well and was quite decent.

All together this Album was well produced and written and therefore I give the overall album a 10/10. I recommend this to any Eminem fans new and old. If you have given up on him because of past albums not having quite that Eminem feel then pick this up and give him another chance it will not dissapoint you. It will appeal to all types of fans, it has melodic vocals (yes even Eminem singing) but it also has the hardcore anger type rapping so just give it a listen. I have forgiven all faults by Eminem after hearing his effort and his apologetic nature for Relapse which only had a few decent tracks. Eminem has cleaned up his life and is now making the music we all knew he could. So to Eminem and everyone he works with I say.

Great job and welcome back you are forgiven. SLIM SHADY!!!!!!!!!!!
4646 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 22, 2010
Format: Audio CD
This just entered into the realm of the Marshall Mathers LP and the Eminem Show (sorry Slim Shady LP still love you), maybe even beyond. He's back to where he should be, only sober with more intelligence and more maturity. Who would have thought this CD lived up to the hype? Nobody. Who would have thought he could put out a CD where he didn't take 10 songs to slam celebrities, his mother, and kim? No one. It's all about him, his freedom from drugs and alcohol and how this all has affected who he is and what he loves...rap. Album of the year to date
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
If you have been let down or disappointed by the last few efforts by Eminem, don't count him out just yet. 'Recovery' is, in my opinion, probably one of the best albums since his debut, if not the best of his entire career. Gone are the immature pop hits that have occupied his albums since Encore (Deluxe Edition). In their place are really deep songs that aren't really hardcore rap or hip-hop but certainly aren't weak, forgettable pop songs that made it onto his album in the past. On a few tracks of 'Recovery' he acknowledges that his past efforts, especially 'Relapse', weren't that great. He also states that with 'Recovery' he wanted to raise the bar and return with something that would silence his critics and reassure his fans that he was back to true form and better than ever. In my opinion, 'Recovery' does just that. It's a deep and personal album but better produced than Relapse and features some of his best lyrics and raps. If you thought Eminem had lost his edge, give this album a listen because I think it's clear that he found it again.

The Good: For me, what makes 'Recovery' such a great album is how personal it is. There are a lot of tracks that deal with his personal demons such as his toxic relationship with his ex wife, the death of his close friend, his inability to deal with fame, his addictions. Unlike with 'Relapse' that seemed to lack any real feeling or personality, this time around he holds nothing back and combines revealing lyrics with some great beats that gave the album a real epic feel, starting with "Cold Wind Blows" where he starts off the album proclaiming his return and striking out at some of his adversaries and critics (including, of course, Mariah Carey) and the album ventures into personal territory from there. "Talkin' To Myself" shows off a different side of Eminem as he reveals his insecurities and admits that he envied the rise of rappers like Lil Wayne and Kanye West and wanted to tear them down just because he was starting to fall off his pedestal. He goes so far as to apologize to them for wanting to rip them, which seems very mature and new for an artist who used to go after everyone and anything in the past that irked him even in the slightest. "Going Through Changes" is a track where he admits he needed help and that he had issues with addictions; "Space Bound" deals with his fears of being alone and isolated and how those fears impact his relationships with others; "25 to Life" uses the metaphor of a relationship gone sour with a woman to describe his relationship with hip-hop. There are also some upbeat/triumphant tracks such as "You're Never Over" where he eulogizes and celebrates the life of his friend Proof and is able to turn a dark situation into motivation to go on and accomplish big things; "Cinderella Man" features a boastful, proud Eminem who proclaims that mediocrity isn't acceptable in his career anymore; "No Love" deals with him getting over being dissed and ignored by a woman he loves and how he won't let her actions bring him down. There are definitely a wide variety of emotions at play on 'Recovery' that shows off Eminem's insecurities, issues and his strengths and makes for a great listen overall.

The Bad: A few tracks didn't work as well for me and disturbed the flow of the album. "Won't Back Down" featuring P!nk sounds like an attempt at rock and a freestyle session - it was okay but I had no desire to listen to it again after hearing it for the first time. "Seduction" and "On Fire" felt like filler tracks. There are a few tracks, such as "W.T.P." (white trash party) and "Seduction" where Eminem tries to be flirtatious and attractive through lyrics and it just felt awkward and out of place.

In all, the number of good tracks with depth, feeling and good production definitely outweighs the weaker tracks. I was really impressed by this effort from Eminem and have had over half of the album on repeat. This is definitely worth checking out and worth purchasing.

Listen To These: "25 to Life", "Going Through Changes", "You're Never Over", "Space Boud", "No Love"
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
It's not too often that I buy an entire Rap or Hip Hop recording. Usually I'll just download an occasional song or two from an artist in the category. The last full Rap/Hip Hop CD I bought was Dr. Dre's 2001 way back in 1999, and I haven't felt the need to go any further than downloading the best songs from any Hip Hop CD since then...until today.

After listening to Eminem's Recovery, well over an hour's worth of tunes, I would say that the best Rap recording in 10 years has arrived.

I don't know what to make of Eminem. He's seems to be mostly angry about something; then next thing you know he's apologizing about this or that in a few songs; then he's crackin' jokes and making fun or just being funny; next he's pouring his heart out in an emotional epic. Regardless, every song on this recording is catchy and in a few cases just brilliant.

But I gotta tell ya, even on some of the brilliant songs I was cringing at some of Em's colorful explanations and descriptions of people, places and things. Hoo brother you'd better use your discretion about letting your kids download this one; this recording stretches the limits of PG-13, but ironically my guess is that it is kids around the age of 13+ that you'll find downloading this the most.

Whether you think Eminem is White with Black stripes or Black with White stripes, this guy is the real deal. The man is from the street and he's gonna tell you how his day is going...and he's gonna tell you how he REALLY feels. And like I said earlier, some of those feelings are expressed in songs that are effectively emotional like Talkin' to Myself, Not Afraid & Going Through Changes (using a sample from the Black Sabbath song of the same name); some of the songs are charged with energy like Cold Wind Blows, Won't Back Down, & No Love; and some of the songs are just plain fun like W.T.P. & Cinderella Man.

Listeners with weak constitutions should avoid this (W.T.) Party at all costs. But to listeners (fans and non-fans) with an open mind: Do not miss this opportunity. It comes only once in a lifetime. Recovery could just be the record of the year. Add this to your cart. Wait, Em...was that a smile?
on August 4, 2010
Format: Audio CD
After Eminem's return to rap in the form of last year's Relapse, many fans were left wanting more. While Relapse was a passable effort from the venerable Detroit emcee, it wasn't the triumphant return to form that fans were expecting from him after 2004's disappointing Encore. When Relapse was released, Eminem revealed that he had also completed another album, tentatively entitled Relapse 2, which was set to be released at the end of 2009.

Recovery was born after Relapse 2 was pushed into 2010 and Eminem apparently went back to the drawing board to retool the album before release, to ensure that it would be the comeback album that he needed and his fans were thirsting for. With that said, does this album have what it takes to impress fans and critics alike? Read on to find out.

Eminem constantly and vehemently asserts that this is his official comeback album and that he is back in top form once again, starting early on the album with Talkin' to Myself, a profoundly honest confessional track. On this track, he demonstrates impressive depth and complexity as he tells the tale of his downward spiral into addiction and his eventual climb out of it.

While there are many tracks on which Eminem sounds genuinely apologetic (dare I say...endearing?) for letting his fans down, there are many where he seems to be back to his old shtick. On Going Through Changes, he's rapping about how he's maturing and his struggles with his recent drug addiction, the death of his best friend (the late rapper and D12 alum Proof) and rehabilitation and on the next, he's rapping about a "white trash party" on W.T.P. This brings to light another problem with the album and that is its inconsistency. Recovery doesn't have a singular focus and there's no sense of cohesiveness when going from Talkin' To Myself to W.T.P. and it results in an unfocused and somewhat jarring listen.

As much as I've criticized this album, there's a lot that Eminem has done right here. Eminem's signature blistering lyricism is on display in great form here, demonstrated very well on the angst-ridden 25 to Life and proves that he can sling metaphors with the best of them on the punchline-heavy Won't Back Down. Heck, on the Haddaway sampling No Love, I was even satisfied with a verse by Lil' Wayne. That alone is something special.

I may sound like I'm being a bit harsh on Eminem but, given the quality of his pre-Encore efforts, I've grown expect more of him. Allow me to reiterate. I don't think this album is bad by any means. If anything, Eminem is just a victim of his own success. Most other rappers could probably release this album and have it met with high praise. Eminem, on the other hand, has raised his personal bar so high for so many that missing that bar results in serious disappointment.

Recovery is an enjoyable, if unfocused addition to Eminem's catalog. Perhaps it's not as good as I was hoping it would be but as a whole, this is a good album. This is an album I can safely say that will be in my regular rotation for longer than Relapse and Encore were before it and that, in and of itself is a comforting thought. Eminem is on the right path, he just needs to reevaluate what he wants to accomplish with his rhymes. In some ways, it seems that he can't let go of the Slim Shady persona that was so dominant on the Slim Shady LP and Marshal Mathers LP and evolve his lyrical style beyond the madcap craziness of his previous albums and that is what seems to be holding him back here.

Most of the tracks on Recovery prove that Eminem still has the lyrical chops to elevate himself above the majority of today's mainstream Hip-Hop genre. Here's hoping he reacquires his focus for his next album and delivers the cohesive world-beater that he's capable of.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 22, 2010
Format: Audio CD
I consider myself an Eminem fan, but not nearly as much of a fan as I was back in 2002 when "The Eminem Show" came out. But then I heard "Love The Way You Lie", and I sat up and paid attention.
The track not only features solid production by Alex Da Kid, but an emotional hook sung by Rihanna. This beautifully written hook was penned by Skylar Grey, whom according to a reliable source has been signed by Alex Da Kid in what is his first production deal. After hearing this track, I know I'll be keeping an ear open for what Ms. Grey brings us next. In the meantime, I hope "Love The Way You Lie" gets slated for the next album single.
Format: Audio CD
Rappers are not supposed to get better over time. They either stay the same or get worse. Eminem is getting better! This newest album shines the improvement of his flow and the slicing edge of his punchlines. If you are a fan of Eminem's work this album should be a no brainer.
on June 25, 2010
Format: MP3 MusicVerified Purchase
I'll keep it brief - once again, he makes everyone look like amatuers. Drake who?? Kanye who??? Lil Wayne who???

His best lyrical assault since Marshal Mathers. The flow, the beats, everything about it is great. I love that he's injecting more positivity in more of his songs but they still hit you hard.

He's one of the few that will still be in the game 20 years from now. All the others can only dream of coming out with a killer album ten years from now.........
Format: Audio CDVerified Purchase
Based on his complete library, Eminem's career seems like it may be cyclical. His first three albums were all classics and they were followed by an album that I believe was good, but not good enough in Encore.
After Encore, Eminem went away for about half a decade before coming out with Relapse which reintroduced him into the mainstream.
I really think that in the course of Eminem's career it can be split into two different eras. An era that included the Slim Shady LP through Encore, and a 2nd era that began with Relapse and is now continuing on through Recovery.
Now, let me explain this. If you look at Eminem's first major album (not talking about infinite) SSLP and compare it to Relapse I think they are similar. They both are full of shock value and one-liners. And while the SSLP is considered a classic and Relapse is considered a flop I think that's because the SSLP was his debut and people expected more out of Relapse.
Now as the cycle goes on you'd have to compare his two sophomore albums. Of the first era the MMLP and of this era which would be Recovery. Again, even though those two albums sound quite different I think they achieve the same goal. They expand upon their respective predecessor to introduce us into the real workings of Marshall Mathers' mind. In MMLP, Eminem opened himself up to show us his anger at basically everybody including his family, the media, and his fans. In Recovery, Eminem opens himself up to show us his fear of losing his daughter and his depression from the loss of Proof and his struggle with drugs.
I believe Recovery is this era's Marshall Mathers LP based on the brutal honesty Eminem includes in this album. Now, I think we can expect another The Eminem Show type album to follow this one that won't be as focused on his drug dependency and loss of Proof, but will instead let him take assault on any topic he feels needs addressed by the greatest rapper alive. Hopefully, after that album there will not be another Encore.
on July 20, 2010
Format: MP3 Music
is this version currently lower down the chain of top downloaded albums when it includes the digital booklet and video for the same price? (seems like a no brainier) Am I missing something? or do people just not look at the menu in front of them and bypass a few extra goodies these days?